PDA

View Full Version : Who went to Troy because of the SOTS?

moosicman
12-22-2009, 03:27 PM
Me...

BleedingCardinal
12-22-2009, 03:36 PM
I did...but I have a feeling this poll and many other recent posts are going to stir up more animosity towards the Sound.

Someone will say something bad about the SOTS and then at the end of the post, "Cue the band defenders in 3..........2.........1!"

3fingerdiscount
12-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Could this poll be deleted. This wont do anything then prove a point and will stir up stuff. You are just asking to cause trouble. I don't understand why you would like to prove that how many people went to TROY for the SOTS. I find it very disrepectful and immature to post this.

moosicman
12-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Whoa, there neighbor... I didn't post this to stir anything up. I posted this because after reading a similar thread and seeing so many chime in saying that they came to Troy because of the SOTS I was curious as to what the results would be. I'm gonna have to be honest and tell ya that I had no idea that this would be taken as you have. It may have something to do with me not joining in the very tiny bickering that goes on within this board so I'm not super-sensitive to the stuff. I log on and read up on important stuff most every day but rarely ever post because of so much of the pettiness that is displayed. I even considered leaving myself (as the MTSU fan did) not because I was personally attacked but because I got tired of all the childishness from this one or that one. Instead, I just pretty much stay out of everything now and only glean from the board the information and interaction that is worth my time (I wish there was much MORE of that, and way LESS of the childishness--other grown-ups might become more active on here).

Let me say again, I'm not trying to prove any point. I didn't put it up with some tag-line saying "this will show so-and-so." I have no agenda or axe to grind and therefore, object strongly to your opinion that it is immature and disrespectful. With that said, I will add further that I have every right to post it, so I wouldn't want it taken down. You have every right to NOT click on it if you find it so bothersome. I hate that you feel that way, but please understand that I'm not gonna let that impede or change me. So if you don't mind, just drop the debate about it and see it for what it is, a simple poll.

Now in the spirit of healing, let me add that I like your avatar. Its really cool and about a month ago I saved it and used it for my desktop. Where did you get it?

pkf4troy
12-23-2009, 01:25 PM
Since this is in the Sound of the South section is see no reason to have this poll/thread deleted. Just because it "offends" you? If that was the case 99% of the threads on this entire board would be deleted. You choose to have an issue with it which is fine but why not do the mature thing and ignore it? I went to Troy for the SOTS. People that want to bash the band and suggest/dictate what they (the SOTS) should be doing/playing on the field obviously have little to no clue what they are talking about. It would be like me going to their job and telling them how to flip burgers or how to seperate collected trash for the recycle program in the office building they work. Band bashing or calling them "geeks" has been a part of being a band member for me since I was in the 6th grade. As ones skin gets thicker the ones doing the name calling look like the bigger fools. They are the ones that will more the likely fail at alot of things in life due to their pissy immature attitudes.

3fingerdiscount
12-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Moosicman, thank you for clearing that up. I didn't know your intent on the poll.
Regarding the avatar I made it myself. I make a lot of logos and save them on my computer.

pkf4troy, I rarely come on this board, cause of the stupid people, hence yourself. I have my name signed at the bottom on my messages, don't see anything for you. Needless to say, I have been in band for years, been in the troy band for five. I have ignored many useless and stupid topics on here. MoosicMan didn't not clearify the purpose of the poll, hence why I said what I said. Again, I have the right to speak my opinion; its my opinion and doesn't/shouldn't reflect on anyone but myself. The SOTS section of the forum, was not approved, from what I was told by a moderate on this site. So, why make a section when it wasn't approved in the first place and make matters worse or even have a topic.

All in all, Hope you all have a Happy Holiday and New Year! GO TROY!

pkf4troy
12-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Moosicman, thank you for clearing that up. I didn't know your intent on the poll.
Regarding the avatar I made it myself. I make a lot of logos and save them on my computer.

pkf4troy, I rarely come on this board, cause of the stupid people, hence yourself. I have my name signed at the bottom on my messages, don't see anything for you. Needless to say, I have been in band for years, been in the troy band for five. I have ignored many useless and stupid topics on here. MoosicMan didn't not clearify the purpose of the poll, hence why I said what I said. Again, I have the right to speak my opinion; its my opinion and doesn't/shouldn't reflect on anyone but myself. The SOTS section of the forum, was not approved, from what I was told by a moderate on this site. So, why make a section when it wasn't approved in the first place and make matters worse or even have a topic.

All in all, Hope you all have a Happy Holiday and New Year! GO TROY!

Dude....take a pill and calm down....better yet have a "tall cold one". My name is PRESTON. I was in the band from 92-97 and I know you are/were part of the SOTS. The purpose of my post was not to bust your cajones but you must have let it do so. As you say about YOUR opinion, once you make your opinion public it does reflect on everyone on this board who chooses to respond with their own opinion. Because I interject MY opinion makes me stupid? I thought calling people stupid was weeded out by the time we left elementary school. Why does Moosicman (who is a Brother of mine....All Hail!) need to clarify anything to any one of us?
Apparently this section was approved by someone. My guess would be the owner of the board. In closing I'll use the typical chipper closing.......

Merry Christmas!!!

Mike Cunningham
12-23-2009, 02:49 PM
The SOTS section of the forum, was not approved, from what I was told by a moderate on this site. So, why make a section when it wasn't approved in the first place and make matters worse or even have a topic.

I'll speak on this since I have the most knowledge on the topic. I went to the 'powers to be' to get a more direct involvement of the SOTS on the SOTS Forum. They balked saying that they basically only wanted to do it if they could moderate it like they see fit. The example they gave was that they would want to delete any negative comments toward SOTS and wanted to edit any comments made by members (and past members) of the SOTS.

I was not willing to concede that censorship model of moderation.

I did not (do not) need permission from anyone to have the SOTS as a forum on our message board. I contacted the 'powers that be' as a gesture of my love and commitment to TROY and all things TROY related. In fact, the 'powers that be' asked that when I named the forum that I either call is The Sound of the South (in italics) or "Sound of the South" (in quotes) and to NOT call it SOTS. I complied.

I wanted to bring a forum for the SOTS to the GoTroyTrojans.com community because I recognized what a big deal it is to the University (fans, members, football games, etc). In fact, if you read the description of the forum (on the forum homepage) you will see I say something to the effect "a place to come and tell the band how great they are."

So before anyone comes and says that this forum was done without permission (none was needed), please don't spread falsehoods. My email is at the bottom of this website 24/7. As an act of openness I have even changed my screenname to reflect my real name. There is no hiding here for me. This website was purchased by me and is run by me (and some unbelievably unselfish TROJANS) so that more and more people can discuss (and argue) their passions that involve TROY. For some that is football, for some it is SOTS, for others it's track, rodeo, administration, etc.

The bottom line the website is here for all Trojans throughout the world to have a central base to be what we all are: TROY TROJANS (this involves not only alumni and current students, but also our dear 'adopted' Trojans).

Without any smart alecness or trightness, I say Merry Christmas.

Spiritual_Trojan
12-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Everyone is right all the time, at least thats whats they believe. Many people take this stuff way to seriously and feel feel that their opinion is fact and should be listened to by all. I think we all, including me, would do well to have a mutual respect for each other on this board. Most of the people on here say something as a joke and someone else doesn't take it that way then a 9k page thread starts about it. So for Christmas this year lets give each other the gift of mutual respect. :thumb:
Merry Chirstmas

Mike Cunningham
12-23-2009, 03:35 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3180/3530711865_f4c76d0617.jpg

Spiritual_Trojan
12-23-2009, 03:58 PM
awkward....... lol

pkf4troy
12-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Everyone is right all the time, at least thats whats they believe. Many people take this stuff way to seriously and feel feel that their opinion is fact and should be listened to by all. I think we all, including me, would do well to have a mutual respect for each other on this board. Most of the people on here say something as a joke and someone else doesn't take it that way then a 9k page thread starts about it. So for Christmas this year lets give each other the gift of mutual respect. :thumb:
Merry Chirstmas

Very well said and I completely agree. Some of my posts seem edgy, sarcastic or down right mean/rude but they are not intended to be that way. They are however, the way I feel and I dont feel the need to sugar coat anything any more so I will just get to my point of thinking. Anyone who knows me knows I am an alright kind of guy......at least I would hope.

Spiritual_Trojan
12-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Very well said and I completely agree. Some of my posts seem edgy, sarcastic or down right mean/rude but they are not intended to be that way. They are however, the way I feel and I dont feel the need to sugar coat anything any more so I will just get to my point of thinking.

Well I think the moral of the story is that you dont have try not to offend anyone. Everyone just needs to work on not being offended as easily, in the P.C. culture we live in everyone thinks they have the right to live their life with out being offended and its simply not the case. For example I dont agree with Trojan_by_Birth at all on the topic of bands, however it's his right to believe what he wants. Now that doesn't mean I one poke fun at him about the ipod thing, which btw was in good fun, but it's not worth getting more upset then a "wow really" statement and moving on.

troypsiphiguy
12-26-2009, 11:10 PM
Just wanna say (Mikey), I can vouch for (Preston) he is a great guy. He's my big bro, ALL Hail!!! However he is very blunt and doesn't sugar coat anything, but that's what people that know him love about him. You are my brother too, AEA!!! and know that you are very passionate about defending the reputation of the current SOTS.

You, being a current member, and us, being alumni. We all see the organization from different perspectives, but one thing is true, we all were apart of that great organization. And the fact that we have joined this forum and will take time out of our day to post here, shows that we obviously had a great time in the SOTS. And that it had a lasting impact on our lives. The same is true about all who come to Troy University and then join a forum that is called gotroytrojans.com

So with that being said, everyone that comes to Troy came for different reasons. For some it was football, and the fact that they received a scholarship. For others it was because of scholarship alone, and the fact that Troy University is well know for giving a lot of scholarship money to young men and women. For the purpose of this topic, many of us came to Troy because of the "Sound of the South", that great organization that Dr. John M. Long founded 44 years ago.

Even in this organization, many of us SOTS members came for different reasons, some because of certain professors like Dr. Long, Robert W. Smith, Ralph Ford as band director's of the "Sound". Some came because of professors of such as flute teachers, trumpet teachers, low brass instructors, percussion instructors, etc. Some people came just because of Auxiliaries such as being a SOTS majorette/feature twirler, a member of the color guard or a member of the Troy Dance team. There is even a great tradition of people coming to be in the SOTS because of family relations. Moms & Dads love and passion for the SOTS inspire second generations, sometimes even third generations to be in the SOTS. Sometimes second siblings chose to come to Troy and be in the "Sound" because of an older sibling being in the band. Whatever the reason for coming to Troy, while at Troy we all go through this transformation from being students from random places/hometowns, to being Trojans, "Trojans, One And ALL".

The "Sound of the South" is a great organization with a great history. Troy University Alumni Associations across the country are filled with pass members of the "Sound" continuing their love of the organization to the University at which the organization is located.

When I think of what brought me to Troy it was the "Sound", but when I think of Troy: The University, the "Sound", the community, the Alumni, the athletic programs, they all go hand in hand. It's what makes the Trojan Nation great, it's what makes me Proud to be a Troy Trojans!

TroyTuba
12-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Sir, may I have your signature?!!!!! Very good post Terrance!!!!!!

Dothan_Trojan97
12-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Merry Chirstmas

However, in my case..... I AM right all the time. I don't know about these other yahoos. :thumb: Just trying to illustrate your point. But seriously, I am right all the time!

Troy79
01-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I didn't come to Troy (in 1977) because of the SOTS but I can honestly say that it was one of the bonuses that I was blessed with when I became a Trojan!!! I have heard the band for over 30 years now and there is no doubt that the Sound of the South is a wonderful part of the TROY experience. I was fortunate enough to sit next to the Band when they came up here to Western Kentucky in November and it really made the weekend complete!
GO SOTS!
GO TROY!

JPSousa1898
01-04-2010, 03:24 AM
I didn't come to Troy (in 1977) because of the SOTS but I can honestly say that it was one of the bonuses that I was blessed with when I became a Trojan!!! I have heard the band for over 30 years now and there is no doubt that the Sound of the South is a wonderful part of the TROY experience. I was fortunate enough to sit next to the Band when they came up here to Western Kentucky in November and it really made the weekend complete!
GO SOTS!
GO TROY!

If there were only more alumni like you! :-D