PDA

View Full Version : Explain this to me...

WTF Trojan
12-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Why is it that people would consider a move to Conference USA a lateral move or even a downgrade when several people think we can only hang with the 5th or 6th best team in the conference?

I've seen this conference called C-DOA and things of that nature, and yet they always seem to get a ton of national publicity and several teams into bowls. The Sun Belt, on the other hand, gets virtually no publicity and one guaranteed team into a sorry bowl that no one other than the two teams involved cares about.

Even if the Big East poaches the conference and takes a team or two away it is still a superior conference to the Sun Belt.

CHughes1102
12-06-2009, 01:28 AM
I think your user name is everybody's thoughts at this thread..haha j/k man

But no seriously I have said the same thing quite a few times myself. I just dont know what to think really.

WTF Trojan
12-06-2009, 01:40 AM
First of all, those are my initials. Secondly, whenever a discussion comes up about what would be a good fit for Troy in the future, with regards to conferences, a large number say that Conference USA is a dead end. On the other hand, when someone defends the New Orleans Bowl it's because we get to play a Conference USA team who we would match-up well with.

It just doesn't make sense to me that people would love to see us matched up with Conference USA teams, but not play in the conference itself. The conference is either a dead end or it isn't. It can't be both ways.

BDM88
12-06-2009, 01:48 AM
But he does have a point. C-USA gets more respect than the Sunbelt. And other than blowing out Rice and This year beating UAB who can we say we beat out of C-USA? Marshal? They were a MAC team then. UNTIL we start beating ALL the OOC games other than the SEC ones we will get no respect. I hate saying it but it is true. The way some of us act when someone puts us down makes us no better than the fans of other programs that we think are delusional. I will continue to think we are headed in the right direction be WE need to look at a different Conference first. Or get teams to come into our league to make it stronger. Only way to do that is hope the Big East takes a few C-USA Teams. Then we need to combine C-USA and The Belt. Sorry for the long read but I felt it needed to be said.

pat4troy
12-06-2009, 01:57 AM
Uh... I think it's important to remember that it isn't just about football.... Troy would be one of the worst teams in C-USA for basketball and I think also for baseball. I have a friend who works in the athletic department of a C-USA team, and we've discussed this several times. The two of us think that attendance of road games would decrease, except for UAB games, and we think it would be much more difficult for Troy to be conference champions in any sport. The major advantage to C-USA is the number of football bowl tie-ins.

BDM88
12-06-2009, 02:08 AM
Uh... I think it's important to remember that it isn't just about football.... Troy would be one of the worst teams in C-USA for basketball and I think also for baseball. I have a friend who works in the athletic department of a C-USA team, and we've discussed this several times. The two of us think that attendance of road games would decrease, except for UAB games, and we think it would be much more difficult for Troy to be conference champions in any sport. The major advantage to C-USA is the number of football bowl tie-ins.

I Agree With you on this. But the fact remains as long as we stay in the Belt we will get no respect until we start winning OOC. And by OOC I mean other than UAB.

Hemi Man
12-06-2009, 06:29 AM

Basketball will improve with the new arena. I think baseball we would be around the middle of the pack. As for attendance decreasing, how do you figure that? Hattiesburg, Tulane, and Memphis are all closer than any conference games we have now, and are far more recognizable names. Not to mention what it would do for our home attendance.

Spiritual_Trojan
12-06-2009, 08:52 AM
we think it would be much more difficult for Troy to be conference champions in any sport. .

To quote Tom Hanks "It's supposed to be hard.... otherwise everyone would do it." I understand what your saying but Troy would rise to the top after a few years just as we have in the Sunbelt.... it's what we do.

WTF Trojan
12-06-2009, 02:22 PM
A move to any other conference would require an adjustment. It would be unrealistic to expect football or any other sport to step in and be the best right away.

And it seems like there is a great deal of faith missing from a lot of people who think we wouldn't be able to be competitive. That doesn't say much for our athletic program in general if everyone thinks the pinnacle of the Sun Belt is the best we can do. Just like the bowl talks, we're not going to get any better if we don't lay it on the line against the best competition we can find. That goes for any sport.

pat4troy
12-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Basketball will improve with the new arena. I think baseball we would be around the middle of the pack. As for attendance decreasing, how do you figure that? Hattiesburg, Tulane, and Memphis are all closer than any conference games we have now, and are far more recognizable names. Not to mention what it would do for our home attendance.

You have a point about Hattiesburg and Tulane, especially because they give an excuse for people to stay overnight in New Orleans. I have been to a Tulane home game when they were playing UAB, and attendance was pretty dismal on both sides. However, UTEP, SMU, Tulsa, Houston, Rice, Marshall, and East Carolina sre pretty far away and I'm not sure how large the fan base is in those areas. But I still wonder how much being in C-USA will help home football attendance.... UAB isn't exactly the best example, but the attendance at most of their home games leaves something to be desired. Trust me, I'm not in love with the Sun Belt by any means, but I'm not loving C-USA, either.

Hemi Man
12-08-2009, 09:17 AM
You have a point about Hattiesburg and Tulane, especially because they give an excuse for people to stay overnight in New Orleans. I have been to a Tulane home game when they were playing UAB, and attendance was pretty dismal on both sides. However, UTEP, SMU, Tulsa, Houston, Rice, Marshall, and East Carolina sre pretty far away and I'm not sure how large the fan base is in those areas. But I still wonder how much being in C-USA will help home football attendance.... UAB isn't exactly the best example, but the attendance at most of their home games leaves something to be desired. Trust me, I'm not in love with the Sun Belt by any means, but I'm not loving C-USA, either.

Georaphical realignment is probably the best answer. Just in football the SBC stretches from Dallas to Miami. In basketball you have to add Denver to that. CUSA is spread from North Carolina to west Texas. It would seem logical to realign to give teams short road games, and give fans the ability to follow their teams a little easier. However who in the NCAA ever uses logic?

durham1968david
12-08-2009, 02:25 PM
I hope Troy gets invited into the ACC someday. Interesting discussion at least, huh ?