PDA

View Full Version : ULM or ULL to New Orleans Best For SBC

AirforceTrojan
12-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Alright, here's what I'm thinking. Assuming Army and Hawaii lose, the SBC should invite either ULL or ULM to New Orleans. This would guarantee three SBC teams go to bowl games. Since the NO Bowl is the only bowl the SBC has a contract with, they could go after ULL/ULM with both Troy and MTSU guaranteed a bowl berth somewhere else. By doing this, the SBC could shut UCLA out of a bowl game since they can't trump 9-3 Troy or MTSU with their 6-6 record. UCLA can trump ULL/ULM in any other game EXCEPT the NO Bowl.

Best Scenario for the Sunbelt:

New Orleans Bowl: ULL/ULM vs. USM- Middle of the road teams from both conferences who would both bring good crowds. If the Sunbelt team loses, it's not that big a deal since they are 6-6 going in. It's much better than our conference champ losing to the #6 team in CUSA like last year.

GMAC Bowl: SBC Champ Troy vs MAC Champ Central Michigan- A chance for the Sunbelt to make some noise against a conference we're trying to move ahead of in the non-BCS pecking order. Troy would bring a ton of fans (plus all the casual Mobile fans would pull for us) and the Levi Brown vs. Dan Levefre matchup would be a great story line.

Pizza Bowl/Humanitarian Bowl- MTSU vs. ???- MTSU is the odd man out in the best interest of the SBC. The advantage is MTSU should be favored against any potential opponent in this game, giving the SBC a chance to beat another non-conference opponent.

I know we're all Troy fans here, but when it comes to bowls, we need to be SBC fans first. Until the teams collectively raise the profile of the SBC by winning some non-conference games on a national stage like bowl games provide, the Sunbelt will remain a glorified 1-AA conference in the eyes of the rest of the college football world.

Thoughts?

pelliott
12-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Not bad - good post - not sure it will happen - but it would be the best scenario for the SBC! Would be nice for the programs to get some money!

Mr. Ho
12-05-2009, 02:34 PM
At current rate in Greenville, better go buy poncho and thermal underwear.

TennesseeBoyintheRockies
12-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Alright, here's what I'm thinking. Assuming Army and Hawaii lose, the SBC should invite either ULL or ULM to New Orleans. This would guarantee three SBC teams go to bowl games. Since the NO Bowl is the only bowl the SBC has a contract with, they could go after ULL/ULM with both Troy and MTSU guaranteed a bowl berth somewhere else. By doing this, the SBC could shut UCLA out of a bowl game since they can't trump 9-3 Troy or MTSU with their 6-6 record. UCLA can trump ULL/ULM in any other game EXCEPT the NO Bowl.

New Orleans Bowl: ULL/ULM vs. USM- Middle of the road teams from both conferences who would both bring good crowds. If the Sunbelt team loses, it's not that big a deal since they are 6-6 going in. It's much better than our conference champ losing to the #6 team in CUSA like last year.

GMAC Bowl: SBC Champ Troy vs MAC Champ Central Michigan- A chance for the Sunbelt to make some noise against a conference we're trying to move ahead of in the non-BCS pecking order. Troy would bring a ton of fans (plus all the casual Mobile fans would pull for us) and the Levi Brown vs. Dan Levefre matchup would be a great story line.

Pizza Bowl/Humanitarian Bowl- MTSU vs. ???- MTSU is the odd man out in the best interest of the SBC. The advantage is MTSU should be favored against any potential opponent in this game, giving the SBC a chance to beat another non-conference opponent.

I know we're all Troy fans here, but when it comes to bowls, we need to be SBC fans first. Until the teams collectively raise the profile of the SBC by winning some non-conference games on a national stage like bowl games provide, the Sunbelt will remain a glorified 1-AA conference in the eyes of the rest of the college football world.

Thoughts?

New Orleans Bowl couldn't invite Lafayette or Monroe unless both Troy and MTSU were accomodated to other bowls. I'm pretty sure there would be an issue with bowl accomodation.

AirforceTrojan
12-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Troy and MTSU are both guaranteed bids somewhere else as all other at-large teams would be 6-6 and can't trump any 7-5 or better teams for at-large consideration.

Discophobia
12-05-2009, 02:59 PM
I like the plan, but man the MUTS would go nuts!!! They are forced to play in Toronto or Detroit while ULL/ULM gets NO..Wow, I would like to see it just for that reason!

TSU92
12-05-2009, 06:46 PM

Thoughts?

That would definitely be better for the conference, getting 3 teams into bowls. I just hope we would get the GMAC and not the Pizza/Humanitarian/International.
Also I am thinking the N.O. Bowl can't wait to see if Army loses next Saturday to extend the bid. If they went ahead and gave it to a 6-6 ULL/M and Army won we might somehow end up with a 9-3 at home and a 6-6 bowling.

AirforceTrojan
12-05-2009, 07:11 PM
That would definitely be better for the conference, getting 3 teams into bowls. I just hope we would get the GMAC and not the Pizza/Humanitarian/International.
Also I am thinking the N.O. Bowl can't wait to see if Army loses next Saturday to extend the bid. If they went ahead and gave it to a 6-6 ULL/M and Army won we might somehow end up with a 9-3 at home and a 6-6 bowling.

That's a really good point since Army is guaranteed an invite at 6-6, but it's VERY unlikely Army will beat Navy. However, it might not be worth the risk to us or MTSU.

tr_oj_ans
12-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I like the plan, but man the MUTS would go nuts!!! They are forced to play in Toronto or Detroit while ULL/ULM gets NO..Wow, I would like to see it just for that reason!

Since all the muts really want is what is best for the conference, I'm sure that they wouldn't have any problems with these arrangements. Hahahaha.....I'd love to see them eat some of that bs they've been blowing around and get shipped to off Canada.

Doug4Troy
12-05-2009, 08:17 PM
If Troy winds up with a NOB invite vs. USM, would it be best for the SBC for us to decline a bowl this year and allow ULL/ULM go to the NOB instead? (Sorry, sarcasm)
GO TROJANS!!!

AirforceTrojan
12-05-2009, 08:53 PM
If Troy winds up with a NOB invite vs. USM, would it be best for the SBC for us to decline a bowl this year and allow ULL/ULM go to the NOB instead? (Sorry, sarcasm)
GO TROJANS!!!

Since I believe the GMAC Bowl to be a much better game for us than New Orleans, I'm good with us accepting an invite to that bowl and opening the door for ULM/ULL to go to New Orleans, but only IF we have a secured invite.

I know you're just joking, but we are GUARANTEED a bowl--the New Orleans Bowl. The only way we don't get it is if we're GUARANTEED another bowl in its place.

Doug4Troy
12-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Since I believe the GMAC Bowl to be a much better game for us than New Orleans, I'm good with us accepting an invite to that bowl and opening the door for ULM/ULL to go to New Orleans, but only IF we have a secured invite.

I know you're just joking, but we are GUARANTEED a bowl--the New Orleans Bowl. The only way we don't get it is if we're GUARANTEED another bowl in its place.

You are right, I was joking. I know we will be bowling. Just ready for the bowl speculation/debate to end. I see your point, but if we were talking about the NOB vs. a BCS bowl, the difference would be apparent to the entire college football community. However, I am not sure that most of the average NCAA football fans/recruits would appreciate the upgrade from the NOB to the GMAC. BTW, I prefer the NOB for the venue, and the GMAC for the opponent. But the NOB will get me a weekend with my wife away from the kids!!! We haven't had one of those in a long time.

Bottom line though, GO TROJANS!!! No matter where they end up!!!

AirforceTrojan
12-05-2009, 09:19 PM
You are right, I was joking. I know we will be bowling. Just ready for the bowl speculation/debate to end. I see your point, but if we were talking about the NOB vs. a BCS bowl, the difference would be apparent to the entire college football community. However, I am not sure that most of the average NCAA football fans/recruits would appreciate the upgrade from the NOB to the GMAC. BTW, I prefer the NOB for the venue, and the GMAC for the opponent. But the NOB will get me a weekend with my wife away from the kids!!! We haven't had one of those in a long time.

Bottom line though, GO TROJANS!!! No matter where they end up!!!

We don't have to put an SBC in a BCS game to get some attention. If we could get three teams in bowl games, we'd be eligible for ESPN Bowl Challenge. Say we go 3-0 and win the Bowl Challenge (which is based on win percentage, not total wins). That would be HUGE for the conference. If ULL/ULM could somehow lead the way with a NO Bowl win, that would be an early attention getter, although admittedly not a huge splash for the conference. However, if MTSU could win their game and we played in the GMAC Bowl in January, we would be playing to capture the Bowl Challenge Cup for the Sunbelt. That would be cool to beat the MAC Conference Champ and bring the Sunbelt some national attention.

Doug4Troy
12-05-2009, 09:33 PM
We don't have to put an SBC in a BCS game to get some attention. If we could get three teams in bowl games, we'd be eligible for ESPN Bowl Challenge. Say we go 3-0 and win the Bowl Challenge (which is based on win percentage, not total wins). That would be HUGE for the conference. If ULL/ULM could somehow lead the way with a NO Bowl win, that would be an early attention getter, although admittedly not a huge splash for the conference. However, if MTSU could win their game and we played in the GMAC Bowl in January, we would be playing to capture the Bowl Challenge Cup for the Sunbelt. That would be cool to beat the MAC Conference Champ and bring the Sunbelt some national attention.

Perhaps you have a point. Although I think that even if we won the bowl challenge, it would be with the caveat that it was the Sunbelt conference vs. similar talent.

I just hope that fans will show up on a weeknight in January when way too many seemed to stay home during our game against FAU on a Saturday that was basically for a conference title.