PDA

View Full Version : Quote from Murfreesboro News Article

FHTROJAN11
12-03-2009, 02:50 AM
I found the following quote in a news article. I'm not sure if it's just the website or a newspaper though. It states, "Troy earned the Sun Belt championship and New Orleans Bowl bid. Troy reportedly cannot opt out for another bowl because fewer than three Sun Belt teams have seven wins."
If that is the case then we are on our way to the Big Easy. However, I was hoping that someone might be able to shed some light on this quote? I've provided a link to the article if anyone would like to see it for themself. http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091130/SPORTS0603/911300328/2072/SPORTS/MTSU+has+solid+bowl+credentials

TroyTrojanNYC
12-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Probably is no more credible than any other website, blog, post that we've seen surrounding this topic. Media people writing these articles always give themselves "an out" in some fashion. For instance, the key word in the statement is "Troy reportedly cannot opt out ....."

Reportedly by whom? Same as "alleged" crime. Same as "sources say....." or "according to sources in the White House....". What sources? Who says? Who "reportedly" said Troy cannot opt out....

See what I mean?

Navarre Trojan
12-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Probably is no more credible than any other website, blog, post that we've seen surrounding this topic. Media people writing these articles always give themselves "an out" in some fashion. For instance, the key word in the statement is "Troy reportedly cannot opt out ....."

Reportedly by whom? Same as "alleged" crime. Same as "sources say....." or "according to sources in the White House....". What sources? Who says? Who "reportedly" said Troy cannot opt out....

See what I mean?

are SPOT ON with this.

I believe, as has been said by myself and others on several other posts, that this is totally incorrect. The New Orleans Bowl gets to 'choose first' of the eligible Sun Belt Teams. That doesn't necessarily mean the champions. It just so happens that their choice, in the past, has been the champions because of their record and that of other teams (Sun Belt) eligibles. This year there are two teams with identical records (9-3) and they have their choice to bring in whomever they want. I think they are going to take Southern Miss (because of their history of fans that travel to NO) and they do not want a 're-match' of last years game (with Troy), which puts Middle in the mix.

I now think that we can look forward to the GMAC and play whomever else they get, wheter it be Cen. Mich, Notre Dame, etc.

troy4ever
12-03-2009, 10:10 AM
The "reportedly" part probably means that the reporter read this message board here to get information and then turned that particular line into part of the story. We've talked about that quite a bit on here lately and we all know we have visitors from other schools reading the board that we don't know about.

arkstfan
12-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Not credible. What I heard late yesterday is that New Orleans gets first pick, and if there is a bowl available for the champion, that first pick does not have to be the champion.

troyw
12-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Not credible. What I heard late yesterday is that New Orleans gets first pick, and if there is a bowl available for the champion, that first pick does not have to be the champion.

So, is it true that NO does not want us this year? What would be the reason(s)?

1motime
12-03-2009, 11:53 AM
So, is it true that NO does not want us this year? What would be the reason(s)?

Money.

Hemi Man
12-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Ticket sales for USM were much better than Troy's. That alone gives them more leverage on who goes to NO. If NO bowl offers USM, and USM says will come but, we don't won't to face Troy the bowl will be more accomodating to USM because of their ticket sales. We are suffering now because of poor ticket sales through the university last year.

Navarre Trojan
12-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Ticket sales for USM were much better than Troy's. That alone gives them more leverage on who goes to NO. If NO bowl offers USM, and USM says will come but, we don't won't to face Troy the bowl will be more accomodating to USM because of their ticket sales. We are suffering now because of poor ticket sales through the university last year.

I remember the posts about "why should I buy through the university when I can get great seats cheaper through Ticket Master!" Now, we may have to reap what we've sewn!" This just might be what breaks the camel's back.

Hopefully we have all learned that the only place to buy your tickets is throgh the ticket office. This way the university gets credit for selling them and shows our travel numbers. Just because we had 10-12K Troy fans in the stands last year, we can't prove it, nobody believes it, no matter what we tell them. Why? We didn't sell the tickets!

TSU92
12-03-2009, 12:44 PM
I remember the posts about "why should I buy through the university when I can get great seats cheaper through Ticket Master!" Now, we may have to reap what we've sewn!" This just might be what breaks the camel's back.

Hopefully we have all learned that the only place to buy your tickets is throgh the ticket office. This way the university gets credit for selling them and shows our travel numbers. Just because we had 10-12K Troy fans in the stands last year, we can't prove it, nobody believes it, no matter what we tell them. Why? We didn't sell the tickets!

I agree. No matter where we go or who we play the most important piece of information to get across to everyone is: Buy your bowl tickets from the Troy ticket office!! Not the bowl website, ticketmaster, or other sources.

KAjunRaider
12-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Maybe this will be a lesson for all of us in the SBC.

The DNJ article above was written a few days ago. New info has come to light, based on Sparks' more recent pieces.

42kdad
12-03-2009, 01:34 PM
I agree. No matter where we go or who we play the most important piece of information to get across to everyone is: Buy your bowl tickets from the Troy ticket office!! Not the bowl website, ticketmaster, or other sources.

it is more important that ever to buy them through the Troy ticket office, since we are probably the smallest school getting a bowl bid. We don't have the luxury of having a huge alumni base that will gobble them up. It's all hands on deck as soon as they go on sale!!
We are all investing in the future of the program too, because if we want bigger and better bowls, we have to prove that we will sell tickets and travel well.

Psideffect
12-03-2009, 02:53 PM
It's all hands on deck as soon as they go on sale!!
We are all investing in the future of the program too, because if we want bigger and better bowls, we have to prove that we will sell tickets and travel well.

DING DING!!!! GMAC is a stepping stone. This is the game that other bowls will look at to see if we are worth inviting!!!!

svenattroy
12-03-2009, 05:45 PM
Once again, the problem with the GMAC is that it is on the 2nd day of classes for the Spring Semester. Professors and administration will not cancel classes this soon after a break, so the student population going to the bowl will be very, VERY small. Also, it's on a Thursday, which means unless you live an hour away (which Atlanta is not, and I'll be moving even farther next year [Boston]), you probably won't want to take the trip. If we really wanted ticket sales to be high, we would take that into consideration, and go to the New Orleans Bowl.

Also, I would think they would look at ticket sales directly from the Bowl, not from the school, since I would think that the bowl would want the most profit it can get. Can someone help me out on this, for my degree is not in Sports Management!

tenaciousT
12-03-2009, 06:05 PM
GMAC bowl is on a wednesday night.

the first day of classes.

go down to mobile on tuesday and leave on thursday.

students will miss the first day of their m/w/f classes and the first day of their tues/th classes.

i routinely missed the first day of class... if the teacher asked i told him/her that i was still working on my schedual and wasnt sure if i was actually going to take the class at the time... worked like a charm every semester.

KAjunRaider
12-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Once again, the problem with the GMAC is that it is on the 2nd day of classes for the Spring Semester. Professors and administration will not cancel classes this soon after a break, so the student population going to the bowl will be very, VERY small. Also, it's on a Thursday, which means unless you live an hour away (which Atlanta is not, and I'll be moving even farther next year [Boston]), you probably won't want to take the trip. If we really wanted ticket sales to be high, we would take that into consideration, and go to the New Orleans Bowl.

Also, I would think they would look at ticket sales directly from the Bowl, not from the school, since I would think that the bowl would want the most profit it can get. Can someone help me out on this, for my degree is not in Sports Management!

But you would have 2.5 more weeks to sell tickets. You'll have roughly 12 days to sell tics for the N'Awlins Bowl, if they don't hurry up and announce.

Mr. Ho
12-03-2009, 06:20 PM

Dude, I am sure Dear Leader will mandate that school be closed that Tuesday and Wednesday. I also would be shocked and dissapointed if the school didn't provide transportation to the game too.

Finally, our ticket sales last year were fantastic...just not all through the athletic department because they had trouble processing them for our game against Rice.

Hemi Man
12-03-2009, 06:25 PM
GMAC bowl is on a wednesday night.

the first day of classes.

go down to mobile on tuesday and leave on thursday.

students will miss the first day of their m/w/f classes and the first day of their tues/th classes.

i routinely missed the first day of class... if the teacher asked i told him/her that i was still working on my schedual and wasnt sure if i was actually going to take the class at the time... worked like a charm every semester.

Be thankful if that is where we end up. It could be alot worse. Try making Washington DC, Detroit, or Toronto.

Doug4Troy
12-03-2009, 06:29 PM
http://image.cdnl3.xosnetwork.com/ads2/484630.jpg