PDA

View Full Version : TROY v. USA -

WhoaNellie!!!
12-02-2009, 03:07 PM
On the midday show on Sports Radio 740, Doug Amos is at it again. His envy of Troy is just too much. He's started a discussion today about how South Alabama's program will be far superior to Troy's program within ten years and how Troy's football program has reached a plateau, while USA has basically an unlimited ceiling. Several Troy callers have been taking him to task over this.

TUTrojan
12-02-2009, 03:37 PM
On the midday show on Sports Radio 740, Doug Amos is at it again. His envy of Troy is just too much. He's started a discussion today about how South Alabama's program will be far superior to Troy's program within ten years and how Troy's football program has reached a plateau, while USA has basically an unlimited ceiling. Several Troy callers have been taking him to task over this.

I heard that as well. He is a moron. The two of them have a rediculous show...

TROJANFAN26
12-02-2009, 03:38 PM
I heard that as well. He is a moron. The two of them have a rediculous show...
Is Doug related to Mike?

TrojanWarrior418
12-02-2009, 05:21 PM

Wow Doug Amos really? You know how good he is. That's why he's the number one man delievering the play-by-play for FAULKNER! ...geez what a tool.

CHughes1102
12-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Well he wins the award for the biggest moron of the day!!!

ThePowerMan
12-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Has he been visiting UAB's Boards again? ;)

Doug4Troy
12-03-2009, 12:29 AM
I hate to say it, but I listen to Doug & Josh from time to time. Doug Amos is just an elitist and he tries so hard to be relevant, but usually fails.

I agree that USA has some advantages, but it is WAY too early to make any predictions like that.

Hemi Man
12-03-2009, 06:54 AM

What was his reasoning behind those statements?

troyw
12-03-2009, 08:00 AM
What was his reasoning behind those statements?

Doug claims that USA has more resources than Troy. He mentioned Mobile being a metropolitan area plus USA has a med school with deep pockets. He also mentioned that Bill Clark (former coach at Prattville) stated that USA will have an on-campus stadium in five years.

pkf4troy
12-03-2009, 08:11 AM
plus USA has a med school with deep pockets.

Works out well for UAB doesnt it?

TroyTrojans2003
12-03-2009, 08:11 AM
a metro area? are you serious? wow how f-ing crazy is that? 10 village idiots and a crappy stadium doesnt count for a metro area, too funny

Hemi Man
12-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Doug claims that USA has more resources than Troy. He mentioned Mobile being a metropolitan area plus USA has a med school with deep pockets. He also mentioned that Bill Clark (former coach at Prattville) stated that USA will have an on-campus stadium in five years.

So by those same facts USA should pass Bama and Auburn in 10 years? By his logic FIU and FAU should be in the top 10 already. Do they really let this guy onthe radio?

JonesOxygen
12-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Okay, you pulled me out. South does have more money than Troy ever will. You could also say UAB does, but they care nothing about football. South will have an on campus stadium within 5 years unless something changes. I really dont think we are comparing apples to apples. If you look at the broad picture (like Doug is, no research just easy looking). Within 30 minutes of their campus is a population of over 2 million (Troy-50,000). Their on campus student population is about 15,000 (Troy-6,500).

As for football, it will all depend on coaching, they will have talent, but can they retain coaches? I expect a huge drop off in attendance, enthusiasm, and transfers by the time they officially go D-1.

If Troy keeps doing what we are doing 26-4 in conference play over 4 years, that will speak for itself. The one thing that South can get by with is no more than 1 money game per year, we will hopefully reach that point at some time, but that certainly helps the overall record.

Hemi Man
12-03-2009, 09:18 AM

So by those same facts USA should pass Bama and Auburn in 10 years? By his logic FIU and FAU should be in the top 10 already. Do they really let this guy onthe radio?

Tums
12-03-2009, 10:10 AM
OK, just sit back and think about it. It took several years and much begging for USA just to get enough support to say OK to have a football program. Next they are battling the same problem as Troy has in that most of the football fans in the city have aligned themselves with other larger programs. I do see where USA has the possibilty of doing something great, but that would be a long way down the road. The biggest thing they have to overcome is a near ZERO football fan base to start with. UAB has a big city and alot of money and has never been able to overcome small fan base. I do not see USA going anywhere fast.

Nice Trojan
12-03-2009, 10:21 AM
My neighbor and his wife are both USA grads. But they are the biggest Florida fans you will find. Not a thing about them says they went to USA. There lies the problem. USA alum have moved on and have other teams they are loyal too because USA has not had football. It will be a battle for them just like it is us. With their larger student body, they may be able to move at a faster pace than we did, but I don't see them overtaking us for years.

By the way, my neighbors are now also Troy fans and have been to several games with us already.