PDA

View Full Version : A thread not about a bowl game:)

TROJANFAN26
12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Enticing isn't it?

According to the CBS 2010 NFL draft prospects, several of our outstanding seniors(the reason we are discussing the bowl game) are listed/ranked.
Any thoughts/suggestions/...should they be ranked higher, lower..etc.?
On the right side of the page you will see a drop down menu enabling you to choose the player position. Enjoy:)

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

Trojan2003
12-02-2009, 02:58 PM
#67 Brandon Lang
#111 Cameron Sheffield
#231 Boris Lee
#320 Levi Brown
#451 Jorrick Calvin

FliryVorru
12-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I think our guys are always a bit underrated until they get to their pro days and combines. I suspect we'll have Lang go in the early 2nd round and Sheffield go in the 4th, but whether or not Boris gets drafted is solely dependent upon his strength reps.

We all know he's fast, agile, good in pass defense, and a solid tackler. BUT even if you have all of these characteristics you can still fail at the next level if you don't have good strength. He's a great under-sized player, but if he can impress the scouts with a few more reps than he's been reported to have we might see him move up as far as the 6th round. Right now, he's a 'tweener: right there between the draft and a lock for FA signing. If he doesn't improve then it'll depend on how many LB's have been taken when the 7th round comes. If there are a lot of them taken we'll see him go too, probably.

TROJANFAN26
12-02-2009, 03:14 PM
I think our guys are always a bit underrated until they get to their pro days and combines. I suspect we'll have Lang go in the early 2nd round and Sheffield go in the 4th, but whether or not Boris gets drafted is solely dependent upon his strength reps.

We all know he's fast, agile, good in pass defense, and a solid tackler. BUT even if you have all of these characteristics you can still fail at the next level if you don't have good strength. He's a great under-sized player, but if he can impress the scouts with a few more reps than he's been reported to have we might see him move up as far as the 6th round. Right now, he's a 'tweener: right there between the draft and a lock for FA signing. If he doesn't improve then it'll depend on how many LB's have been taken when the 7th round comes. If there are a lot of them taken we'll see him go too, probably.

Excellent points about Boris! I think the fact that he's just a very smart player and knows the LB position so well will improve his draft status as well.
I've always though that Sheffiled was underrated. The guy is a beast seriously. He reminds me a lot of Dware...soft spoken but mean as hell on the field...

PCTrojan
12-02-2009, 03:16 PM
I have seen a few mock drafts already with Levi going 42nd to the Panthers!!!

That is the highest I have seen him

The Messenger
12-02-2009, 03:18 PM

That'll be so sick if that plays out.

FliryVorru
12-02-2009, 03:20 PM
I think the fact the he is just a very smart player and knows the LB position so well will improve his draft status as well.

Ya know, I hadn't even thought about that but that's a great point. He's smart both on and off the field which can only help his draft status, as you said.

Your point can really be applied to a lot of the players we produce, which I think is a huge testament to LL and the coaching staff. Here at troy we not only produce beasts of athleticism that dominate the game, but we also teach them how to be men that look out for their teammates and care for their friends.

TROJANFAN26
12-02-2009, 03:36 PM

Levi Brown>Steve Smith for 85 yard TD catch would sound oh so sweet! IMO Levi should be at least in the top 10 of QB's picked..depsite the fact I'm a Troy homer. His stats, brains and arm prove the point! And he would by far have the best nickname in all of the draft "3 Notch Levi Brown"! Wish we had him one more year though.

I like the Panthers but Delhomme is done. A few years ago he'd have only a couple bad games a season, now it seems as if every game he's simply awful.
Jake did take em to the SB though, can't forget that.

Jake Delhomme..the pride of ULL Rajun Cajuns!

Buzz Lightyear
12-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Do any of you think how they perform during BOWL season will change those the perception of how good they are going to be at the next level? Is it also possible that we should go to GMAC do to the higher exposure to potential scouts. OK I AM SORRY JUST LOVED THE TITLE AND FIGURED no way could we have a decent conversation about something else without a little tongue in cheek.

TROJANFAN26
12-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Do any of you think how they perform during BOWL season will change those the perception of how good they are going to be at the next level? Is it also possible that we should go to GMAC do to the higher exposure to potential scouts. OK I AM SORRY JUST LOVED THE TITLE AND FIGURED no way could we have a decent conversation about something else without a little tongue in cheek.

I think the way they perform could have an impact, whether it be positive or negative. We must remember though, it's one game. Obviously though if our guys put on a good show it can only help their status. My hope is that we can face a good team like CMU and really put a beat down on them......not only will this help the possible "draftees"..it makes us as a football program, even more legit.

On a side note...every time I watch Dware play or see him in a commercial I think to myself.."man I watched that guy play @ Troy"...

Yarddog
12-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Where did he get the nickname three notch? Does he live on 3 notch street?

Mike Cunningham
12-02-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm shocked Levi isn't ranked higher right now. I know he'll move up with his pre-draft workouts and the all-star game(s).

In regards to Boris, I'm a little worried. I had a friend up here who played for U of Illinois. He led the Big Ten in tackles two years in a row. Very intelligent, great character kid. He didn't get drafted at all. I think it was his speed.

Now I believe Boris is faster so maybe that'll be the difference.

TroyFBFan
12-02-2009, 08:34 PM
1. Brandon will be off the board in the second round
2.Levi will not last past the third round, nfl starved for pocket passers, most qb's rated ahead of him are not the true nfl type. Although many are very good college qb's where their athleticism and speed works. In the nfl everybody is fast so they want outrun the defense. Name the last qb to win a super bowl that wasn't a pocket passer.
3.Sheffield will proably be gone before the end of the third but certainly want last past the fourth.
4.Boris if not gone by the end of the fifth will be better off having to wait for free agency. The reason so he can look at what the teams have and choose his best place much like choosing a college.
5.Jorrick best bet free agency for same reason to look at teams interested and then choose.
6.Bear will get an opportunity, best chance is free agency for the same reason to look at teams and see which gives him the best chance to stick. Some teams look for different things in LB's, some value speed more than others and some value how one smells the football and Bears have that knack for smelling things out.

TrueTrojan
12-02-2009, 09:51 PM

That is a DEFINITE possibility! The Panthers GM was down for the FAU Game & it seems they have a huge "man crush" on our QB.

What kind of effect do yall think this could have on recruiting for us? Troy is known for putting Defensive players in the NFL (D.Ware, Osi, Leo, Elbert, ect) but putting Levi in this year & JJ next year could prove huge for us in the future.

PCTrojan
12-02-2009, 10:06 PM
I would love to see JJ next year make a statement and get into the NFL, and yes I know about Steve Smith (Car) and a few other receivers, but 5'9" 185 is going to a tremendous hurdle for him to be able to overcome.

I want nothing more than to see him playing on sundays but it is not something that is going to come easy no matter what kind of season he has next year.

Bubba the Trojan
12-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Where did he get the nickname three notch? Does he live on 3 notch street?

Mr. Ho tagged Levi with that name when he encouraged him to give a pool side interview with babes on his arms before the FIU game. Broadway Joe, who did the same thing before the '69 Super Bowl, was Ho's inspiration. NY has Broadway, Troy has 3 Notch....therefore 3 Notch Levi.

TroyFBFan
12-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Levi getting drafted will be huge for us, especially if he goes high. Your best qb's look at what colleges have done as far as getting qb's to the league. That's exactly what has helped on the defensive side of the ball, these kids aren't coming to Troy because of the night life and exciting things around here. They are coming because as a Mid Major Troy has a name for getting their defensive players drafted. I bet Brandon could confirm this for me. Brandon will be the first this year to keep the pipeline flowing, he will also be a better nfl player than he was a college player wait and see.

With Levi getting drafted this year and then if JJ can get drafted next year the pipeline will of started.

Some of the mock drafts and ratings of qb's are a total joke, they take into account too much that doesn't transpire to the nfl. Take Crompton from Tennessee, I saw one site that had him rated above Levi, there is no way the kid will ever get drafted. The only thing he could beat Levi in is a footrace, heck he could beat both Mannings and Brady, so what!

Yarddog
12-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Mr. Ho tagged Levi with that name when he encouraged him to give a pool side interview with babes on his arms before the FIU game. Broadway Joe, who did the same thing before the '69 Super Bowl, was Ho's inspiration. NY has Broadway, Troy has 3 Notch....therefore 3 Notch Levi.

Thanks, I wondered where that came from. There is a three notch street in several South Alabama towns including Andalusia.