PDA

View Full Version : Here's my question, and...

Troy87
12-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Here's my question, and someone who has a lot more bowl knowledge will have to answer it.

Is there any way possible in all this smoke-filled, back-room wheeling and dealing, we could get left out because deals were done out of order? Is it possible someone like a Notre Dame or a Boise St. could out maneuver us to take away the GMAC after the NO Bowl has committed to an MTSU invite?

IS THIS AT ALL POSSIBLE?

playfailstoogain
12-02-2009, 11:42 AM
no - the only protection that the NO Bowl agreement does give us it that the Sunbelt Champ MUST be accomodated before they can select anyother sunbelt team - hence they can make no other offers until troy selects another bowl or unless for somereason troy rejected (formally) the NO Bowl offer once formally extented.
Only caveat is that WW is a moron - does the Sunbelt even use a law firm to review the contracts before the enter them???

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 11:43 AM
No. The number of 7 or better teams will be less than or equal to the number of bowls available. No 6-6 can be taken at-large until all 7 or betters are placed.

It's an easy situation to deal with.

Troy tells New Orleans that it will waive its right to be selected conditioned upon Troy receiving an invitation to GMAC.

In Troy's shoes, I don't do the deal any other way. Going to Detroit to play a MAC runner-up, Eagle Bank to face a MAC runner-up (assuming Navy beats Army), or the Humanitarian to face a WAC runner-up is not acceptable.

Navarre Trojan
12-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Here's my question, and someone who has a lot more bowl knowledge will have to answer it.

Is there any way possible in all this smoke-filled, back-room wheeling and dealing, we could get left out because deals were done out of order? Is it possible someone like a Notre Dame or a Boise St. could out maneuver us to take away the GMAC after the NO Bowl has committed to an MTSU invite?

IS THIS AT ALL POSSIBLE?

I don't think so, but is it possible for MTSU? Probably, and that would absolutely suck! If Notre Dame decides to go, they are there, UNLESS Boise St. falls, then they go, over a 6-6 ND. The way I understand it, the MAC Champ is there (of course this is what I thought the New Orelans Bowl said as well).

So, if one of these are eligible, then I think GMAC takes them and the NO Bowl has to give the bid to Troy. I do think NO is holding out because of the GMAC and the "deal" that has been brokered deep in the night. I am sure this is what the Troy Administrators were mad about yesterday. They wanted that 'bird in the hand'. I believe that the NO bowl was unwilling to extend an offer to Troy because of what may happen to GMAC and feared that if offered to Troy, they would take it and force a rematch from last year (you see, I believe a deal has been made with USM) thus sending MTSU to Mobile.

From everyone I have spoken with, this seems to be the situation. So, it is really GMAC and NO Bowl committees that are holding this up right now. It just seems odd to me that Troy wasn't automatically extended after the FAU game, but I think there was a deal in mix long before the FAU game was ever over. Probably after the FIU game, when it became fairly apparent that Troy was going to win.

In fact, I heard that Monte Hall has been in New Orleans for the past 3 or 4 weeks!!!

Buzz Lightyear
12-02-2009, 01:09 PM
No. The number of 7 or better teams will be less than or equal to the number of bowls available. No 6-6 can be taken at-large until all 7 or betters are placed.

It's an easy situation to deal with.

Troy tells New Orleans that it will waive its right to be selected conditioned upon Troy receiving an invitation to GMAC.

In Troy's shoes, I don't do the deal any other way. Going to Detroit to play a MAC runner-up, Eagle Bank to face a MAC runner-up (assuming Navy beats Army), or the Humanitarian to face a WAC runner-up is not acceptable.

This is what really bothers me........I have poked alot of fun and ridicule at WW but he really needs to be carefull. He has not demonstrated a great deal of brillance at this point.

TroyTrojans2003
12-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I pray that the GMAC takes Boise or ND so we can stop this talk about the toilet bowl in Slowbile

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I pray that the GMAC takes Boise or ND so we can stop this talk about the toilet bowl in Slowbile

Make that into a t-shirt to wear if the deal gets done and Mobile gets the Sun Belt champ two of the next four years. But it will be a gold plated toliet for Troy if you win the conference that year won't it?

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 02:08 PM
BTW last year the talk here was that Birmingham was beneath you.

My recollection is NC State turned down the opportunity to play in the Texas Bowl, Motor City Bowl, and Independence Bowl in order to go to Birmingham and play a Big East team.

Small time thinking.

TrueTrojan
12-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Navarre Trojan you're pretty much right on. Troy was expecting to be extended a bid from the NO Bowl earlier in the week, however, this didn't happen. They would now prefer to have MTSU in NO rather than Troy, strictly b/c of ticket sales & to avoid a rematch of last year. They decided to not extend the bid to Troy to avoid the chance of Troy accepting the bid & not waiting for the GMAC. FWIW I believe Troy would've accepted the bid on the spot. With the NO Bowl unwilling to extend the bid in advance it forces Troy to wait & see how everything falls out. I don't believe this is what our AD or team wants, it's just the situation they're forced to be in. Nobody other than the bowl committees & conference have any power in this situation.

It comes down to this.....IF the GMAC wants Troy we go, IF the GMAC take any other team (UCLA, Boise, Notre Dame) we go to the New Orleans Bowl. It's as simple as that. All we can do is sit back & wait & then GO WHEREVER WE PLAY TO SUPPORT OUR TEAM

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Ah my poor memory.

Just remembered a bowl hosing that Troy did get.

Back in 2004 the conference begged North Texas to hold off accepting the New Orleans Bowl bid thinking something might break loose. NOB extended the offer but told UNT there was no hurry, if something worked out, they'd take the new guys in the Sun Belt from Alabama.

UNT's president had rescheduled finals because they conflicted with the New Orleans Bowl and didn't want to look bad and they figured go ahead and accept they can start pre-selling tickets.

Well things did break loose. Fort Worth called UNT and was told, too late we've accepted New Orleans. Marshall throw a couple wheelbarrows of cash at Ft. Worth who invited them instead. Troy visited Shreveport but the bowl director was an NIU alum who got in the meeting and regaled the board with how NIU had gotten screwed the year they beat Bama, Iowa State and Maryland with no bowl. Shreveport cuts a deal with the MAC.

The Rose shocks everyone and takes Texas. Instead of Oklahoma State going to Shreveport, they go up a notch and Iowa State lands in Shreveport, but NIU had already played Iowa State that year so Shreveport has to take Miami (OH) under its deal with the MAC. NIU goes to San Jose to face Troy.

If UNT waits, UNT goes to Fort Worth, Troy goes to New Orleans, even without that, if an NIU alum isn't director of the Independence Bowl, Troy goes there instead of the final Silicon Valley Classic.

That my friends is why you wait to see how things will play out. If Hawaii wins over Wisconsin, you go to New Orleans, just as planned. If Boise misses the BCS, you go to New Orleans just as planned. If neither of those happen... you get to be in a champion vs. champion bowl game against a team with at least 10 wins.

troyw
12-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Ah my poor memory.

Just remembered a bowl hosing that Troy did get.

Back in 2004 the conference begged North Texas to hold off accepting the New Orleans Bowl bid thinking something might break loose. NOB extended the offer but told UNT there was no hurry, if something worked out, they'd take the new guys in the Sun Belt from Alabama.

UNT's president had rescheduled finals because they conflicted with the New Orleans Bowl and didn't want to look bad and they figured go ahead and accept they can start pre-selling tickets.

Well things did break loose. Fort Worth called UNT and was told, too late we've accepted New Orleans. Marshall throw a couple wheelbarrows of cash at Ft. Worth who invited them instead. Troy visited Shreveport but the bowl director was an NIU alum who got in the meeting and regaled the board with how NIU had gotten screwed the year they beat Bama, Iowa State and Maryland with no bowl. Shreveport cuts a deal with the MAC.

The Rose shocks everyone and takes Texas. Instead of Oklahoma State going to Shreveport, they go up a notch and Iowa State lands in Shreveport, but NIU had already played Iowa State that year so Shreveport has to take Miami (OH) under its deal with the MAC. NIU goes to San Jose to face Troy.

If UNT waits, UNT goes to Fort Worth, Troy goes to New Orleans, even without that, if an NIU alum isn't director of the Independence Bowl, Troy goes there instead of the final Silicon Valley Classic.

That my friends is why you wait to see how things will play out. If Hawaii wins over Wisconsin, you go to New Orleans, just as planned. If Boise misses the BCS, you go to New Orleans just as planned. If neither of those happen... you get to be in a champion vs. champion bowl game against a team with at least 10 wins.

So, maybe our distrust is justified? I trust our leaders to fight this fight for us. If they feel we are being slighted, I support them in that fight.

redwave
12-02-2009, 02:41 PM
arkstfan

Can't make it much clearer. Thanks!

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 03:16 PM
So, maybe our distrust is justified? I trust our leaders to fight this fight for us. If they feel we are being slighted, I support them in that fight.

No, not at all justified. Reinforces my prior position that Sun Belt champs are NOT FORCED out the designated bowl. Also demonstrates how the conference gets screwed when people think small time.

SOTS 86-89
12-02-2009, 10:36 PM
ArkStFan....

You've opened my eyes with logic and reasoning. I remember the 2004 bowl stuff...but had forgotten. I always appreciate the knowledgable info you post here and miss the articles you used to write on the old Sun Belt Board. Thanks for making sense of things.

TroyTuba
12-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Arkstfan - you do bring lots of wisdom to this board, keep hanging around!!!!