PDA

View Full Version : Southern Miss to New Orleans Bowl a Definite

Navarre Trojan
12-02-2009, 09:07 AM
according to College Football Poll.com

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_games_bowl_schedule.html

Most all of C-USA teams have agreed to terms. Yesterday SMU accepted a bid to the Hawaii Bowl.

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2009/dec/01/smu-headed-first-bowl-game-25-years/?refscroll=512

Man, does this whole thing stink with the back room deals being made!

My theory, if it smells like, and looks like it must be a skunk!!!!

Anybody know of a good place to eat in Foley or Daphine? Because if we go to the GMAC Bowl I am sure all of the fine restaurants in downtown will be packed with the HUGE INFLUX of people swarming to get to the highly touted and much anticipated GMAC Bowl!!!! Especially if it is a Troy vs. Central Michigan or Ohio U. match-up. My toes are just “tingly” at the possibilities! :rolleyes:

Hey, at least we may be able to say we played OU this year!!!

Apparently the C-USA #4 is a higher priority than the Sun Belt #1. At least in the eyes of the New Orleans Bowl Selection Committee.

TUTrojan
12-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Wentzel's is sounding really good about now....

Pensacola Kid
12-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Anybody know of a good place to eat in Foley or Daphine? :rolleyes:.[/FONT][/COLOR]

There are numerous places we can go. I know a few owners of places in Foley and on the causeway. Once it's confirmed, we can set something up.

troyw
12-02-2009, 09:16 AM
according to College Football Poll.com

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_games_bowl_schedule.html

Most all of C-USA teams have agreed to terms. Yesterday SMU accepted a bid to the Hawaii Bowl.

http://www.pegasusnews.com/news/2009/dec/01/smu-headed-first-bowl-game-25-years/?refscroll=512

Man, does this whole thing stink with the back room deals being made!

My theory, if it smells like, and looks like it must be a skunk!!!!

Anybody know of a good place to eat in Foley or Daphine? Because if we go to the GMAC Bowl I am sure all of the fine restaurants in downtown will be packed with the HUGE INFLUX of people swarming to get to the highly touted and much anticipated GMAC Bowl!!!! Especially if it is a Troy vs. Central Michigan or Ohio U. match-up. My toes are just “tingly” at the possibilities! :rolleyes:

Hey, at least we may be able to say we played OU this year!!!

Apparently the C-USA #4 is a higher priority than the Sun Belt #1. At least in the eyes of the New Orleans Bowl Selection Committee.

My sources say that GMAC is our bowl.

TFan
12-02-2009, 09:28 AM
My sources say that GMAC is our bowl.

My ticket order drops by 50%, can't fly my working family/fans in for mid-week Jan. game.

TFan will be there!

GO TROJANS!

Navarre Trojan
12-02-2009, 09:29 AM
My ticket order drops by 50%, can't fly my working family/fans in for mid-week Jan. game.

TFan will be there!

GO TROJANS!

Mine by over 90%. I will be there, other 11 won't be - same reasons!

DedicatedTrojan84
12-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Stay in Spanish Fort. I love that place. They have a Bass Pro there. There is plenty fun stuff to do in Mobile and the surrounding areas.

Tums
12-02-2009, 09:32 AM

TFan will be there!

GO TROJANS!

At the same time my Group would jump from 3 to a caravan loaded for the GMAC.

newnan trojan
12-02-2009, 09:32 AM
HAHA got yall beat....My ticket order drops 100% if we go to mobile :mad:

newnan trojan
12-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Although i will be in Hawaii around christmas time....so maybe ill go watch SMU play!

trojanbrutha
12-02-2009, 09:34 AM
From what I saw, the only teams in bold are UCF, USM and SMU...At this point, that's understandable.

DedicatedTrojan84
12-02-2009, 09:36 AM
At the same time my Group would jump from 3 to a caravan loaded for the GMAC.

+1 Screw all the whiners. I have a group of 6-10 every year that is tired of N.O and want to try something different. Therefore, if we go to N.O we have planned a big watch party. I'll probaly add a bunch of family that will go since its closer. Make my group 15 for GMAC. For all of you whiners there are folks like me and Tums that will back yall up. Have fun watching it at home. :wave:

Tums
12-02-2009, 09:37 AM
You people are killing me about how much your ticket order would drop. I am a proud Trojan and buy tickets if I do not go. I had 50 tickets for the Silicon Valley Bowl and a private party in Troy at the same time.

Navarre Trojan
12-02-2009, 09:40 AM
You people are killing me about how much your ticket order would drop. I am a proud Trojan and buy tickets if I do not go. I had 50 tickets for the Silicon Valley Bowl and a private party in Troy at the same time.

AWESOME DUDE! Without the travel to California this year, you should be able to buy at least 50 to the GMAC Bowl. You could give them to the SOTS to help them get there. I am sure they would appreciate all the help.

JonesOxygen
12-02-2009, 09:44 AM
My ticket order drops by 75% but I do have a free place to stay in Spanish Fort.

YJason
12-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Mine will go from 12 to 2 if we go to Mobile, and no overnights. Would be at least 2 nights in NO.

Tums
12-02-2009, 09:55 AM
AWESOME DUDE! Without the travel to California this year, you should be able to buy at least 50 to the GMAC Bowl. You could give them to the SOTS to help them get there. I am sure they would appreciate all the help.

My point was Navarre that when I could not go I bought more tickets since I did not have the Travel expense. I did not decrease my ticket order because I could not go. I increased the amount to support our Trojans. All of these people are claiming their order will be less because they can not go.

The Messenger
12-02-2009, 09:58 AM
And for all the ones who supposedly can't go, there will probably be just as many that can for another reason.

Navarre Trojan
12-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Is Spanish Fort close enough to enjoy all of the festivities in Mobile, where they will be throwing down? If I remember correctly there is a Hampton Inn at the exit as well. Maybe they will have the free 'just thawed and ready to eat continental breakfast' with the purchase of their $109 a night suite! Probably beats the hell out of Cafe Du Monde.

What about the big, new Bass Pro Shop - someone mentioned that there is a lot to do there during GMAC Bowl Week. What type of activities will they have? Maybe a parade with hunters and fisherman in their new camo outfits all ready for duck and deer hunting. Now I remember, it's the "All Male Outdoor Wardrobe Fashion Show!" I can't wait!

Now I am understanding why people prefer Mobile over New Orleans, so much more to do!:rolleyes:

I can hardly wait until the official invite comes down.

Buzz Lightyear
12-02-2009, 10:05 AM
I know there are many who wanted to go to Mobile and many that wanted to go to NO. All I can say and will be amazed if we have more fans in Mobile than NO. I too will drop from 4 to 1 on tickets due to Mobile middle of week when school has started and it will cost me extra to miss work 2 days instead of one..........NO OTHER LEAGUE CHAMPION HAS TO WONDER IF THEY ARE GETTING A BETTER DEAL....What I mean by that is in the past Boise going to the Humanitarian was probably a ho hummer but nice since it was a home game but if they went else where they all knew it was a step up. Argue as we will there is a bonafide debate weather Mobile is a huge step up. I agree it has a better attendance and Neilson rating and it is against a champion from the MAC and they did not have to wonder where they were going. Why I believe there is any question as to if it is better is not pitting NO against Mobile.....It is after the holidays and a good many people would have to miss extra work. Attendance will not be as good on Troys part. I hope I am wrong but if we can put 12-14k in NO then I would predict 8-10 at best in Mobile even if the bowl is a better one.

I am not poo-pooing or nay saying anything except that the way the Belts bowls are set up......and in the early days was right to have done so......we put our champ against a lower tier team even if we can not dominate them. Also I said BOWLS and there are no guarantees other than NO bowl. It is time to have two guarantees at least and Wright Waters like it or not is either to blame or get the credit for getting us here.

Either way I will be there.

Buzz Lightyear
12-02-2009, 10:07 AM
And for all the ones who supposedly can't go, there will probably be just as many that can for another reason.

I hope you are right.

TSU-Baggs
12-02-2009, 10:26 AM
+1 screw all the whiners. I have a group of 6-10 every year that is tired of n.o and want to try something different. Therefore, if we go to n.o we have planned a big watch party. I'll probaly add a bunch of family that will go since its closer. Make my group 15 for gmac. For all of you whiners there are folks like me and tums that will back yall up. Have fun watching it at home. :wave:

+1

troy4ever
12-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Cant go here either!!!
Wow seems like there are a lot of people even on this board that cant make it..
If the board people cant make it, how many non board people do u think will come???

troyw
12-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Cant go here either!!!
If the board people cant make it, how many non board people do u think will come???

Careful with that kind of talk...

TSU-Baggs
12-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Mine will go from 12 to 2 if we go to Mobile, and no overnights. Would be at least 2 nights in NO.

What is going on here...what would all the excuses be if the NOLA Bowl was in the middle of the week? Thank God we are not going to a BCS bowl game the same week as the GMAC bowl as it seems the Trojan faithful would have too many reasons why they can't go and can't buy tickets. That's why we have vacation and sick days.

C'mon people, quit your whining and support our team no matter where or when our bowl game is.

Navarre Trojan
12-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Cant go here either!!!

Careful with that kind of talk...

Yeah,
Or you'll be labeled as unpatriotic or a whiner or something like that. :eek:

DedicatedTrojan84
12-02-2009, 10:42 AM
What is going on here...what would all the excuses be if the NOLA Bowl was in the middle of the week? Thank God we are not going to a BCS bowl game the same week as the GMAC bowl as it seems the Trojan faithful would have too many reasons why they can't go and can't buy tickets. That's why we have vacation and sick days.

C'mon people, quit your whining and support our team no matter where or when our bowl game is.

I have been calling out people acting like little girls here for years. It does not help at all. let them sit at home.

troyw
12-02-2009, 10:44 AM
I have been calling out people acting like little girls here for years. It does not help at all. let them sith at home.

Star Wars fan?

DedicatedTrojan84
12-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Never watched one. Now thats a funny joke right there. If your going to point out spelling make a joke and dont act like a Nazi about it. Kudos.

YJason
12-02-2009, 10:49 AM
It is as simple as this...when someone tells you that they can't go because of work, for me that is it. This is only one of the reasons that the NO bowl is better. Better venue. More to do, and my wife is pregnant...so it isn't like we are going to party (FQ, shopping, aquarium, zoo, riverwalk, etc). Better food. Overnight stay, at least. Before the major bowls, not after. Ask 10 people (not in front of one another) where they would rather go for an overnight trip New Orleans or Mobile...I bet it is 70% NO.

It is really simple as far as I am concerned.

Jason

Lucy
12-02-2009, 11:04 AM
My entire crew will be there, regardless the location. However, if we go to Mobile, I will immediately return to Troy, get what little sleep I can, and wake up Thursday morning for a day of classes non-stop from 8:00 a.m. to 7:40 p.m. If I can drive to Mobile, watch the game, drive back to Troy, and get up the next morning for nearly 12 hours of classes/work, and do it all with a smile on my face, ANYONE CAN. :)

troy4ever
12-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Has anyone taken into account that (I believe) classes start back on January 6th? At least that was the word that came to my ears.

Do we think this would also effect attendance or will the students just say the heck with class?

DedicatedTrojan84
12-02-2009, 11:15 AM
They will cancel class.

Lucy
12-02-2009, 11:17 AM
I hope they cancel classes on Wednesday and Thursday at least. However, I do believe that we will get a bigger student representation than one would think. The students are avid fans and love road trips, plus those classes on Wednesday and Thursday are the first meeting periods, so all that will be covered are the syllabi, etc. Shouldn't be too bad, but hey, if they canceled classes for everyone that would work, too. :) I'm going to the game and classes, too.

sasquatch67
12-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Star Wars fan?

youre a dork for noticing that.:wave:

Hemi Man
12-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Allow me to spin it this way. If Troy goes in and beats a ranked team in a bowl, where does that put Troy in receiving votes? MORE VOTES RECEIVED THEN EVER!!! Possibly ranked? Our seniors can also avenge an ugly loss to BG by beating CMU.

NAMEUHPETE
12-02-2009, 11:20 AM
I hope they cancel classes on Wednesday and Thursday at least. However, I do believe that we will get a bigger student representation than one would think. The students are avid fans and love road trips, plus those classes on Wednesday and Thursday are the first meeting periods, so all that will be covered are the syllabi, etc. Shouldn't be too bad, but hey, if they canceled classes for everyone that would work, too. :) I'm going to the game and classes, too.

Lucy, you seem like a dedicated fan and student. You must have had some outstanding upbringing.... :wave:

newnan trojan
12-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Central Mich isnt ranked are they?

TroyTrojans2003
12-02-2009, 11:21 AM
wow total BS, now I cant make it for sure, asking for that date off after a holiday is a big no-no at my work place and may result in my pay being docked, and its not like its 50 dollars, talking about losing 300 dollars a day! what a mess, thanks alot folks for wanting the GMAC crap bowl, I love watching Troy on TV again.............unbelievable

GMAC= armpit of America Bowl game LOL

GO TROY

Navarre Trojan
12-02-2009, 11:22 AM
They will cancel class.

That's great news! Hadn't heard that yet. Will it be for both Wednesday and Thursday or just Wednesday?

I would hate to see our students have to drive back on Wednesday night, after the game, in order to make classes on Thursday morning.

The Messenger
12-02-2009, 11:23 AM

So, what exactly is the New Orleans Bowl?

troy4ever
12-02-2009, 11:25 AM
wow total BS, now I cant make it for sure, asking for that date off after a holiday is a big no-no at my work place and may result in my pay being docked, and its not like its 50 dollars, talking about losing 300 dollars a day! what a mess, thanks alot folks for wanting the GMAC crap bowl, I love watching Troy on TV again.............unbelievable

GO TROY

Yeah...without a doubt I can't go either if it's GMAC. I'm a teacher and the first day of class for me is that day as well. Kinda hard to ask off when I just had a two week holiday vacation.

At this point...I'm over all the, I can go, I can't go...blah blah blah. I'll support the team wherever they go...I just won't necessarily be supporting them in person if it's GMAC.

Discophobia
Some of you guys are amazing. I am sorry that you wont be able to make it. I know several people that werent going to be able to make it to NO that will be in Mobile. My ticket order will increase as will several of my friends. However, as someone that has been to both bowls I know some of you guys will be shocked but the festivities around the GMAC are much better. I am excited about a change of venue and the possibility of playing a better team with more exposure in an area that will actually know we are in town!

newnan trojan
Why are yall talking about canceling class and such....We havent even been invited to GMAC

Lucy
12-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Lucy, you seem like a dedicated fan and student. You must have had some outstanding upbringing.... :wave:

I did! How did you know? ;)

Navarre Trojan
12-02-2009, 11:33 AM

GO TROY

DUDE, where do you work? I need a job like yours!!! :thumb:

DedicatedTrojan84
12-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I would rather make what I make and be able to take off as I please. I'll be in Mobile if we go with a group double the size of a N.O group. For the others "To bad so sad. Such as life"

troy145
12-02-2009, 11:44 AM
My ticket order probably raises 100%. :)

troy145
12-02-2009, 11:46 AM

GO TROY

http://canuckjihad.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/crybaby.png?w=300&h=425

newnan trojan
12-02-2009, 11:51 AM
DedicatedTrojan QUIT BEING A DUSH!!!

Im tired of seeing your posts about other people complaining!

We will go where ever "They" say we will...nothing anyone can do about it on here...

DedicatedTrojan84
12-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Look how he spelled douche..........HAHAHAHA

I think I'll post about peoples crying just like Troy145 did just to make this cry baby more mad.

newnan trojan
12-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Who gives a F*

Your a complete a** hole!

The Red Wave
12-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I have to be in LA for a huge presentation / new biz business pitch which could become the largest client i have.
Would mean hiring new people etc. I will see if i can move the meeting, but middle week is tough. My children and wife can't go as she works and they have school. I want things to works for the kids who got us there!

Trojan 6 pack
12-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I have been to every bowl game that Troy has played in so far, but will not be able to go to N.O. I will however be able to keep my 100% attendance in tact if Troy goes to the GMAC Bowl along with my 5 other family members.

DedicatedTrojan84
12-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Who gives a F*

Your a complete a** hole!

HAHAHA he is really mad.

newnan trojan
12-02-2009, 11:59 AM
NO im not mad....Im just soo tired of people picking on eachother on here like HIGH SCHOOL KIDS!

DedicatedTrojan84
12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
I am not picking on you. Everytime someone says that its gay that people are crying about GMAC you get upset. I do not pick on people. its not looking for the N.O bowl and you are more upset than anyone else. And, thats not our problem. I hope you and family find a way to make it if we go to GMAC.

nasupporter
12-02-2009, 12:01 PM
NOT a whinner,,, just a realist. I've attended our past two bowl games.
If its Mobile my ticket order from up here in North Alabama just went from around 12 to 0. School back in session - Midweek - can't get off work - just a bad time, etc...
I had been selling my newfound local Tojan supporters on the trip to NO,, perfect date, venue, etc. I've brought several to Troy for games.
Every other Trojan I've talked to (up here and in the South) has said they wont be making the bowl game if its in Mobile - just can't swing it. I'll be watching on t.v., pulling for the Trojans. I really hope there is a large number of Trojan fans in the Mobile area who will attend because I see this as a poorly attended game if not. The really SAD part is from my understanding and the conversations I've had the University officials, coaches, and most importantly players (upper and under classmen) are all wanting New Orleans.

p.s. I don't like the idea of MTSU in New Orleans,, they might decide they like it too much,,,, and want to go back next year,,,,,...... if the commissioner lets them.

Navarre Trojan
12-02-2009, 12:08 PM
not a whinner,,, just a realist. I've attended our past two bowl games.
If its mobile my ticket order from up here in north alabama just went from around 12 to 0. School back in session - midweek - can't get off work - just a bad time, etc...
I had been selling my newfound local tojan supporters on the trip to no,, perfect date, venue, etc. I've brought several to troy for games.
Every other trojan i've talked to (up here and in the south) has said they wont be making the bowl game if its in mobile - just can't swing it. I'll be watching on t.v., pulling for the trojans. I really hope there is a large number of trojan fans in the mobile area who will attend because i see this as a poorly attended game if not. The really sad part is from my understanding and the conversations i've had the university officials, coaches, and most importantly players (upper and under classmen) are all wanting new orleans.

P.s. I don't like the idea of mtsu in new orleans,, they might decide they like it too much,,,, and want to go back next year,,,,,...... If the commissioner lets them.

+1

newnan trojan
12-02-2009, 12:08 PM
I dont care that MTSU goes to NO bowl and we go to the GMAC bowl....either way they still know we are the CHAMPS not them!

and as for next year Middle does stand a shot at the NO bowl because they return almost their entire team...We however do not!

Mr. Ho
12-02-2009, 12:11 PM
I have to be in LA for a huge presentation / new biz business pitch which could become the largest client i have.
Would mean hiring new people etc. I will see if i can move the meeting, but middle week is tough. My children and wife can't go as she works and they have school. I want things to works for the kids who got us there!

When you say "client", you mean lawn - right? And how much grass grow in winter anyway?

Please, The Red Wave, we hear this every year from The Red Wave - "oh, Mr. Ho I have to work second job to pay for cable" or "oh Mr. Ho I need hire more people to cut grass" - just get bigger lawn mower!!!!

Trojan1998
12-02-2009, 12:23 PM

Exactly. I will not be attending the New Orleans Bowl if that's where we end up because I have a conflict that weekend. If we play in Mobile, I can easily make that trip by working a half-day and then heading down I-65 for the game. I ultimately don't care where we play, but the more I've thought about it, a change of scenery sure would be nice.

Rette
12-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Exactly. I will not be attending the New Orleans Bowl if that's where we end up because I have a conflict that weekend. If we play in Mobile, I can easily make that trip by working a half-day and then heading down I-65 for the game. I ultimately don't care where we play, but the more I've thought about it, a change of scenery sure would be nice.

We will support our Trojans wherever they end up. However, GMAC will be a more doable trip for us. I have wondered how many Trojans live within 2-3 hours from Mobile and could do the same thing that Trojan1998 and I would be able to do???? A change of scenery would be nice. :thumb:

Spiritual_Trojan
12-02-2009, 12:37 PM
If we end up in the GMAC I know of possibly 7-10 peps that would be able to come and would buy ticks through the box office that wouldn't be able to go to NO.

Do I think it's messed up how all this could go down most definitely, however people on here are letting their emotions get the best of them. We represent the heart of Trojan fanatics on this board and are at each others throats! C'mon guys I know there are several who want NO and several who want GMAC and a million and one reason either way. That doesn't mean we have to pick sides, insult, and fight each other. We just have to take the lemons(being treated like we are the ones who didn't win outright) and make a glass of half full lemonade

GO TROY!!!!!!

TSU1997
12-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Are we a high school or a D-IA football program....what's all the fuss for, no natter where the game is played there will be people for what ever reason who can't make it...100% of the people who want to go to the game will never be satisfied...What we need to do as so called Trojans fans, is start acting like we want to be a big time program and support our team no matter where they play...NO or Mobile support our BRAND..that's what's going to make Troy a BIG TIME program..Butts in the seats and maybe one day a 6-6 Troy team will be picked to go to a bowl game over a 7-5 or 8-4 team...I'll be in mobile along with the 15 others who were going to NO...Plus the fact that Troy have a huge following of people from the Pensacola,Mobile,Baldwin Co area...Troy gets 15K easy to the GMAC

TennesseeBoyintheRockies
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
New Orleans is not a definite for Southern Miss. There is talks that USM is trying to avoid another trip to New Orleans in which Southern Miss would take their only other option and travel to Fort Worth for the Armed Forces Bowl. If that takes place, then you can expect Marshall to represent CUSA in the New Orleans Bowl for sure.

Navarre Trojan
12-02-2009, 12:55 PM
New Orleans is not a definite for Southern Miss. There is talks that USM is trying to avoid another trip to New Orleans in which Southern Miss would take their only other option and travel to Fort Worth for the Armed Forces Bowl. If that takes place, then you can expect Marshall to represent CUSA in the New Orleans Bowl for sure.

This is just speculation: http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_games_bowl_schedule.html

Even though they have them listed as 'definite'?

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 12:55 PM

The prestige of facing a 6-6 school that fired their coach is simply breath-taking.

yeahIwin
12-02-2009, 01:18 PM
I wonder, of all you pissing and moaning about the GMAC bowl if you'd magically find a day off to attend the game if say it were a BCS bowl. You'd say you couldn't but we all know most of you would show up for that.

As for GMAC Bowl being "arm pit of america bowl" you couldn't possibly be more wrong. Is Mobile as great a city as NOLA? Hell no. Is Ladd Stadium as nice as the Superdome? again, hell no. Is the GAME its self better? You bet your ass. Are the festivities better? From all accounts I've gotten from people who have gone over to Mobile either for their team or just going over for the game they LOVE it. The parade seems to enamour (sp?) people.

Quit whining and crying. Even you can't go BUY a ticket and support your school!!!

Also, the picture of the crying baby... +1

TSU92
12-02-2009, 02:02 PM
ANYBODY,ANYWHERE,ANYTIME!

Isn't this supposed to be our slogan! I think some of you just like to say it and wear the t-shirts cause you think it sounds cool. When it comes time to prove it you are against it.

If we are going to start growing and be successful then we are going to have to play in a variety of other bowls. We fuss about not having more bowl tie-ins but one of the reasons we don't is because of this kind of attitude by our fans.

I understand the work thing because I teach also, but I will take a day off to go to the bowl game and take my kids with me. I did take them to N.O. last year but I would not do it again. If you can't get off work I understand but don't get mad at the Bowls, the Sunbelt, and Troy officials for trying to get a better match-up. Champion vs. Champion

I do not understand the others that do not teach because you would have to take a Monday off anyway to go to N.O.

I don't know if we will end up in Mobile or not, but the fact is most of the country veiws the GMAC in a much better light than the N.O. Bowl as you can tell by TV ratings and veiwership. N.O. is also the lowest attended bowl almost every year which shows it basically gets zero support from the community. When people actually do tune in they see a huge "warm & cozy" dome that looks empty unless they keep the cameras from endzone to endzone in the lower deck.

I think, again my opinion, that the GMAC will be much better for us in the eyes of recruits, publicity, and attendance. I think we will have a good showing from the people in the Mobile area that may not be Troy fans but will come to support us and see us play.

Maybe show some of those Mobile high school kids that have been seeing USA play what a real team looks like.

TennesseeBoyintheRockies
12-02-2009, 02:06 PM
This is just speculation: http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl_games_bowl_schedule.html

Even though they have them listed as 'definite'?

CollegeFootballPoll I would suspect not to be the highest authority on this matter, but I'd put more trust in CNN Sports Illustrated which said only hours ago this day that Southern Miss has two options--New Orleans or Fort Worth.

I'm doubting they will go to New Orleans again. I would be very surprised. This is probably why both ESPN specialists have projected Troy to face Marshall in New Orleans. That's what I'm thinking will happen while MTSU is headed to face Ohio in Detroit.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/wires/12/01/2060.ap.fbc.southern.miss.bowl.possibilities.0129/

TROJANFAN26
12-02-2009, 02:10 PM

Isn't this supposed to be our slogan! I think some of you just like to say it and wear the t-shirts cause you think it sounds cool. When it comes time to prove it you are against it.

If we are going to start growing and be successful then we are going to have to play in a variety of other bowls. We fuss about not having more bowl tie-ins but one of the reasons we don't is because of this kind of attitude by our fans.

I understand the work thing because I teach also, but I will take a day off to go to the bowl game and take my kids with me. I did take them to N.O. last year but I would not do it again. If you can't get off work I understand but don't get mad at the Bowls, the Sunbelt, and Troy officials for trying to do get a better match-up. Champion vs. Champion

I do not understand the others that do not teach because you would have to take a Monday off anyway to go to N.O.

I don't know if we will end up in Mobile or not, but the fact is most of the country veiws the GMAC in a much better light than the N.O. Bowl as you can tell by TV ratings and veiwership. N.O. is also the lowest attended bowl almost every year which shows it basically gets zero support from the community. When people actually do tune in they see a huge "warm & cozy" dome that looks empty unless they keep the cameras from endzone to endzone in the lower deck.

I think, again my opinion, that the GMAC will be much better for us in the eyes of recruits, publicity, and attendance. I think we will have a good showing from the people in the Mobile area that may not be Troy fans that will come to support us and see us play.

Maybe show some of those Mobile high school kids that have been seeing USA play what a real team looks like.
Awesome post, the best I have seen in quite some time. I think a lot of local folks who aren't affiliated with Troy will come out to watch this game. I lived in Mobile for 3 yrs and they city really puts a lot into this game. If we go to Mobile..I predict we easily have 15k-17k fans there.

Discophobia
12-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Agree 100%.

Navarre Trojan
12-02-2009, 02:52 PM

I understand the work thing because I teach also, but I will take a day off to go to the bowl game and take my kids with me. I did take them to N.O. last year but I would not do it again. If you can't get off work I understand but don't get mad at the Bowls, the Sunbelt, and Troy officials for trying to get a better match-up. Champion vs. Champion. Great point, for either Bowl. If you can make either, we will see you there.

Probably because it is Christmas Week and many had already planned that week off. Most places will have 24th and 25th off, so you take 3 days vacation and get 9 days off. Works out to be a pretty good trade off. If your in the construction business, same thing.

I don't know if we will end up in Mobile or not, but the fact is most of the country veiws the GMAC in a much better light than the N.O. Bowl as you can tell by TV ratings and veiwership. N.O. is also the lowest attended bowl almost every year which shows it basically gets zero support from the community.

Actually, there is little difference in attendance, maybe 4 or 5K.

When people actually do tune in they see a huge "warm & cozy" dome that looks empty unless they keep the cameras from endzone to endzone in the lower deck.

I disagree with this, to a degree. First the ratings are very similar (from the television) as I looked at them this morning. The attendance thing is better in Mobile, there is no doubt.

I think, again my opinion, that the GMAC will be much better for us in the eyes of recruits, publicity, and attendance. I think we will have a good showing from the people in the Mobile area that may not be Troy fans but will come to support us and see us play.

Without a doubt I think you're right about this. If ONE PERSON from Mobile comes to the game that isn't already a Troy Fan, will outnumber the folks from Mobile going to the New Orleans Bowl that aren't Troy fans. I also believe that the community of Mobile may send more folks to the game (non partisan) than New Orleans. Also, I don't believe recruits will distinguish between the New Orleans Bowl and the GMAC Bowl. I, personally, don't believe that "they" feel there is any great difference.

Are colleges allowed to bring in recruits to a bowl game? Is that considered an official or unofficial visit. I don't know what the NCAA rules are on this, but if they are allowed, I think showing them the Superdome and that facility would be much better than Ladd Pebbles stadium. I just think their eyes would be much wider in the Superdome locker room/sideline than that at Ladd. Now talking to them and convincing them that it is better to be in Mobile than New Orleans might be a tough sale as well. I personally think recruits are interested in the fact that you go to bowl games and not where you go to bowl games.

TSU92
12-02-2009, 04:03 PM

I understand the work thing because I teach also, but I will take a day off to go to the bowl game and take my kids with me. I did take them to N.O. last year but I would not do it again. If you can't get off work I understand but don't get mad at the Bowls, the Sunbelt, and Troy officials for trying to get a better match-up. Champion vs. Champion. Great point, for either Bowl. If you can make either, we will see you there.I have been to the last two N.O. bowls, one with kids one without. I will be there with my wife if it is N.O. and with the whole family if it is Mobile.

Probably because it is Christmas Week and many had already planned that week off. Most places will have 24th and 25th off, so you take 3 days vacation and get 9 days off. Works out to be a pretty good trade off. If your in the construction business, same thing. I can see your point

I don't know if we will end up in Mobile or not, but the fact is most of the country veiws the GMAC in a much better light than the N.O. Bowl as you can tell by TV ratings and veiwership. N.O. is also the lowest attended bowl almost every year which shows it basically gets zero support from the community.

Actually, there is little difference in attendance, maybe 4 or 5K. I checked and averaged the last 6 years attendance records and the GMAC averages 10,500 more fans per year. Some more, some less.

When people actually do tune in they see a huge "warm & cozy" dome that looks empty unless they keep the cameras from endzone to endzone in the lower deck.

I disagree with this, to a degree. First the ratings are very similar (from the television) as I looked at them this morning. The attendance thing is better in Mobile, there is no doubt.I checked the last 2 years and according to Neilson there were 1,251,00 more people watch the GMAC during that span. Some of this may be due to the game now being on a Sunday it competes with NFL viewers and GMAC is when people are looking for some football to watch between the BCS bowls and the NC game.

Without a doubt I think you're right about this. If ONE PERSON from Mobile comes to the game that isn't already a Troy Fan, will outnumber the folks from Mobile going to the New Orleans Bowl that aren't Troy fans. I also believe that the community of Mobile may send more folks to the game (non partisan) than New Orleans. Also, I don't believe recruits will distinguish between the New Orleans Bowl and the GMAC Bowl. I, personally, don't believe that "they" feel there is any great difference. Recruits may not distinguish one is better than the other but if more of them are watching either in person at Mobile or on TV I think it is better for us.

Are colleges allowed to bring in recruits to a bowl game? Is that considered an official or unofficial visit. I don't know what the NCAA rules are on this, but if they are allowed, I think showing them the Superdome and that facility would be much better than Ladd Pebbles stadium. I just think their eyes would be much wider in the Superdome locker room/sideline than that at Ladd. Now talking to them and convincing them that it is better to be in Mobile than New Orleans might be a tough sale as well. I personally think recruits are interested in the fact that you go to bowl games and not where you go to bowl games.

I am not sure if you can bring recruits to bowl games or not. My guess would be no. But you are right about the place where the bowl is held. Even though they have done a lot of work on Ladd it is still not the Superdome and most kids would probably rather go to have fun in N.O. than Mobile.

tenaciousT
12-02-2009, 07:58 PM
I think that all the HS football teams in the area are givin tickets... free publicity to one of the most talent rich cities in the southeast.

1000's of locals make it out to the game... much larger crowds than NO.

I have been to the GMAC bowl 5 or 6 times. I have seen the likes of Ladanian Tomlinson, Ben Rothlesburger, and many others play. I have seen the biggest comeback ever in a bowl and and game that most consider one of the greatest bowl games of all time.

All this in Mobile.

It is a very good bowl, and on a national perspective, much better bowl than NOB.

I will be happy where ever we go.

TroyFBFan
12-02-2009, 08:10 PM
The Bowl teams CAN NOT bring recruits to the game or provide tickets to prospective recruits!!

tenaciousT
12-02-2009, 08:17 PM
The Bowl teams CAN NOT bring recruits to the game or provide tickets to prospective recruits!!

but the bowl can provide tickets to local highschool football teams...

Psideffect
12-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Even if the attendance is smaller in Mobile (Which I doubt), it's a on a bigger stage against a better team. I look at this another stepping stone to where we wanna be. This is not about payout or attendance, it's about recognition. A MAC champion right in the middle of BCS bowls or a 6-6 (7-5 if we're lucky) team in a bowl that I still probably wouldn't know existed if I wasn't a student here.

TROJANFAN26
12-02-2009, 08:40 PM
Even if the attendance is smaller in Mobile (Which I doubt), it's a on a bigger stage against a better team. I look at this another stepping stone to where we wanna be. This is not about payout or attendance, it's about recognition. A MAC champion right in the middle of BCS bowls or a 6-6 (7-5 if we're lucky) team in a bowl that I still probably wouldn't know existed if I wasn't a student here.

And IMO this is what bowl games all are about. It's the perfect situation to get your program recognized by folks(recruits) across the entire nation. Very few households dont have ESPN or ESPN2. If we go to Mobile and beat the MAC champion that means much more than beating a middle of the pack USM type team.

DedicatedTrojan84
12-02-2009, 08:42 PM
And IMO this is what bowl games all are about. It's the perfect situation to get your program recognized by folks(recruits) across the entire nation. Very few households dont have ESPN or ESPN2. If we go to Mobile and beat the MAC champion that means much more than beating a middle of the pack USM type team.

http://static.open.salon.com/files/duh-duh1233387823.jpg

Now if we could make everyone see that.

durham1968david
12-02-2009, 11:20 PM
I totally agree. I live and work in Mobile. I was raised in Troy. I have driven up to Troy for every single home game plus the Florida and La. Lafayette away games. People don't realize that Troy has built up alot of good will down here. People at the courthouse talk to me all the time about our great team. If people love Troy they will make the sacrifice to see our great players who played with so much grit and heart this year and came back to win in several games. Troy would draw at least 20,000 fans to this game for sure, plus many many Mobile residents who like Troy would be there to cheer for us. The other team would send alot of folks as well, as many as 10,000 or so. I loved the trip to new orleans last year and will gladly go again this year. I am happy we are in the bowl picture. congratulations to our team who sweated through the summer and overcame two initial losses to give us a memorable season, perhaps the greatest season Troy has had to date. I want to please send out a challenge to all Troy folks, If we go to the GMAC bowl in Mobile, please, please make an effort to come down here. Mobile's downtown is alot of fun and this great City puts alot of effort into this bowl game. Go Trojans and congratulations to all our players and coaches, we are loyal and proud of you always.

tenaciousT
12-02-2009, 11:26 PM
what he said!

nice first post!

I live in the Mobile area and know what kind of effort that the city puts behind this bowl.

If we do get an invite to the GMAC bowl lets make sure that the city doesnt regret it!

Go Trojans!

Go Trojan Fans! follow your team wherever they play!

TennesseeBoyintheRockies
12-03-2009, 03:50 AM
This article from the Times-Picayune sheds light on the delay of the announcment:

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-45/1259734830262650.xml&coll=1

.....The pairings will be announced Sunday, with Saturday's C-USA championship game between East Carolina and Houston being the major determining factor. The winner of that game earns the conference champion's berth in the Liberty Bowl.

"Our priority has always been to put together a competitive game that motivates the fans to travel here and has local plus TV appeal," bowl executive director Billy Ferrante said. "And I think we're going get that."

The main objective is to avoid a rematch of last year's Troy-Southern Miss game.

Sending Troy to the GMAC Bowl would accomplish that, or, if Houston loses to East Carolina, the Cougars would likely play here against Troy with Middle Tennessee State going to the GMAC or some other game with an opening.....