PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Troy vs 2009 MT how we differ

MTPiKapp
12-02-2009, 03:40 AM
In nearly every thread about the bowl situation there has been at least one person complaining about how there are deals being worked to help MT this year and there weren't any to help Troy in 2007. I'd like to offer a little perspective from my side.

For starters, no two bowl seasons are the same as far as at-larges go and the number one reason that 2009 is different than 2007 is that there are two more bowls now than there were then. Both the St. Petersburg Bowl and the Eaglebank Bowl started in 2008. So in 2007 there were 64 bowl slots and in 2009 there are 68. By my count there are currently 71 teams that are bowl eligible with another two(Army and Hawaii) that could still become bowl eligible. That would mean at absolute most there would be 73 teams to fill 68 slots and at absolute least(if Notre Dame does vote to not bowl) 70 to fill 68 slots. If that's the case, MT is definitely bowling because we have to be chosen over at bare minimum ULL and ULM(and any other 6-6 at large for that matter). Now as far as 2007 goes, I don't remember the specific numbers, but I feel like it, beyond there just being less bowls, the circumstances were not nearly as favorable, if I remember correctly, it got down to Troy and maybe one other 7 win at-large team and the other one got the nod. As it is, there's one scenario where someone absolutely has to take us and it's a lot easier to work some kind of deal when we're virtually assured of being taken somewhere.

CardinalBlackTrojan
12-02-2009, 04:00 AM
That's what I've been saying since 2007. It had nothing to do with Wright Waters not doing enough help Troy get in, as some would like to blame him for.

TroyTuba
12-02-2009, 09:08 AM
It may not have been his fault directly, but he sure didn't seem to work too hard to lobby for us with the other bowls.

TUTrojan
12-02-2009, 09:15 AM
I think you guys belong in a bowl. However, I think Troy deserves to pick the outcome that is best for us- whichever bowl that might be- without having the decision made for us. That is my only concern. We have earned the right not to sacrifice for the betterment of a rival (who we beat this year heads-up)...

Navarre Trojan
12-02-2009, 09:15 AM
In nearly every thread about the bowl situation there has been at least one person complaining about how there are deals being worked to help MT this year and there weren't any to help Troy in 2007. I'd like to offer a little perspective from my side.

For starters, no two bowl seasons are the same as far as at-larges go and the number one reason that 2009 is different than 2007 is that there are two more bowls now than there were then. Both the St. Petersburg Bowl and the Eaglebank Bowl started in 2008. So in 2007 there were 64 bowl slots and in 2009 there are 68. By my count there are currently 71 teams that are bowl eligible with another two(Army and Hawaii) that could still become bowl eligible. That would mean at absolute most there would be 73 teams to fill 68 slots and at absolute least(if Notre Dame does vote to not bowl) 70 to fill 68 slots. If that's the case, MT is definitely bowling because we have to be chosen over at bare minimum ULL and ULM(and any other 6-6 at large for that matter). Now as far as 2007 goes, I don't remember the specific numbers, but I feel like it, beyond there just being less bowls, the circumstances were not nearly as favorable, if I remember correctly, it got down to Troy and maybe one other 7 win at-large team and the other one got the nod. As it is, there's one scenario where someone absolutely has to take us and it's a lot easier to work some kind of deal when we're virtually assured of being taken somewhere.

PiKapp,

There just wasn't anywhere for us (Troy) to go that year. This year is much different and you guys are ABSOLUTELY going to a bowl game. I hope you get to stay in the south so your fans can come out in mass and support you. I hope it is before everyone has to go back to school and during the holidays when time-off is not only easier to get but much more flexible than other times of the year.

I just hope it isn't in New Orleans, but I believe that is where you will end up, especially if the reports from CollegeFootballPoll.com are correct and S. Miss has already been invited and accepted. They (NO Bowl) will want the Blue Raiders long before they want Troy and a repeat of last year's match-up.

Good luck (no matter where you end up) and make the Belt proud!!

MTPiKapp
12-02-2009, 02:07 PM
First and foremost I'm extremely pleased with our season and am excited to be bowling again and of the three that are being mentioned, Detroit is the only one I'm dreading. I know we won't travel nearly as well and unfortunately I'll be one of those unable to travel to Detroit(extended family Christmas, Grandpa may only have a few left)

Out of GMAC and New Orleans I think there are positives and negatives to both. Even though GMAC is more appealing in a lot of ways to me personally in total honesty I think Central Michigan is a much tougher opponent than Southern Miss(or whomever comes out of C-USA for New Orleans) I believe in my team and I think we could beat either team, but I think that Southern Miss provides us the better opportunity for victory and despite the fact Central Michigan is probably the better team, a victory over Southern Miss would probably be more impressive to southern football fans and recruits.

No matter the way it goes, I hope there's a Sun Belt team in New Orleans and one in Troy and I hope we go 2-0.

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 02:11 PM

I outlined it in another thread. There were two teams looking for an at-large spot, TCU and Troy and one spot available. If the Orange had taken West Virginia, Fiesta would have taken Arizona State and the only opening would have been Fort Worth, and an Air Force/TCU rematch on TCU's field wasn't going to happen, it was Troy's spot. Instead Orange took Kansas, Fiesta had to take West Virginia, the Texas Bowl came open instead and TCU-Houston was too good to pass up.

bulldogtrojan
12-02-2009, 04:27 PM
If I'm not mistaken - wasn't Alabama 6-6 in 2007 and went to a bowl (which they lost) and we were 8-4? There was somewhere for Troy to go, but bowls follow the money. Whatever bowl game we go to if you don't buy your tickets through Troy University it's like it didn't happen. Tickets sold through Troy Athletics is what they are looking for - for all they know (and I'm being sarcastic here) the rest of those that sat on the Troy side at NO last year could have just been people off the street.

Rette
12-02-2009, 04:30 PM
First and foremost I'm extremely pleased with our season and am excited to be bowling again and of the three that are being mentioned, Detroit is the only one I'm dreading. I know we won't travel nearly as well and unfortunately I'll be one of those unable to travel to Detroit(extended family Christmas, Grandpa may only have a few left)

Out of GMAC and New Orleans I think there are positives and negatives to both. Even though GMAC is more appealing in a lot of ways to me personally in total honesty I think Central Michigan is a much tougher opponent than Southern Miss(or whomever comes out of C-USA for New Orleans) I believe in my team and I think we could beat either team, but I think that Southern Miss provides us the better opportunity for victory and despite the fact Central Michigan is probably the better team, a victory over Southern Miss would probably be more impressive to southern football fans and recruits.

No matter the way it goes, I hope there's a Sun Belt team in New Orleans and one in Troy and I hope we go 2-0.

Rand Mcnally:

Murfreesboro to Detroit 9 hours 5 min 563 miles
Murfreesboro to New Orleans 8 hours 35 min 535 miles

Either way it will be a long ride for MTSU fans. I guess if you have already made the trip to Detroit, New Orleans is a change in scenery. I hope we both do well! Best wishes MTSU!!!! make the Sun Belt Proud!! :thumb:

RDA Trojan
12-02-2009, 04:45 PM
If I'm not mistaken - wasn't Alabama 6-6 in 2007 and went to a bowl (which they lost) and we were 8-4? There was somewhere for Troy to go, but bowls follow the money. Whatever bowl game we go to if you don't buy your tickets through Troy University it's like it didn't happen. Tickets sold through Troy Athletics is what they are looking for - for all they know (and I'm being sarcastic here) the rest of those that sat on the Troy side at NO last year could have just been people off the street.

The winning record thing is only for at-large selections. Alabama went to that bowl because they were bowl eligible and had a primary contract through the SEC for that bowl game. Now, 6-6 teams can only be selected as an at-large after all other at-large teams with winning records are selected.

MTPiKapp
12-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Rand Mcnally:

Murfreesboro to Detroit 9 hours 5 min 563 miles
Murfreesboro to New Orleans 8 hours 35 min 535 miles

Either way it will be a long ride for MTSU fans. I guess if you have already made the trip to Detroit, New Orleans is a change in scenery. I hope we both do well! Best wishes MTSU!!!! make the Sun Belt Proud!! :thumb:

I've made both trips by bus on a SGA Road Rally. Both trips are kind of miserable, but the end result of one is much more desirable than the other and New Orleans is at a much better time on the calendar.

YJason
12-02-2009, 06:29 PM
In all my ranting and raving today I never actually said something I wanted to. MT should be bowling...and I hope not Detroit. I also hope not NO, because that is where our guys want to go. That being said, I do hope you get a good regional game.