PDA

View Full Version : Bowl situation...

Hector
12-01-2009, 04:22 PM
from a highly placed source...

If MTSU gets a bid of their own, we go to NOLA and the MUTS go wherever their bid takes them.

If MUTS don't get their own bid, we go to GMAC and MUTS go to NOLA.

Zeke of Troy
12-01-2009, 05:11 PM
What are the possibilities for the MUTS ???

The Red Wave
12-01-2009, 06:08 PM
I was told this morning that WW (Wright Waters) is yanking our chain and playing fast an loose with us. This really pisses me off. I would like to see The Chancellor and Steve and Larry do a conf call with WW and give him the what for. What a complete tool!

newnan trojan
12-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Why would WW want to be yanking our chain? What would be the purpose in doing that?

TUTrojan
12-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Screw the MUTS. They got their tail kicked here and should only get a bowl because of their own merits (which I think they do deserve, however). Absolutely nobody supported us when we were out in the cold at 8-4 (after a quality win versus Ok State and strong game against top-5 UGA). I think Wright Waters was hiding in Mexico during that negotiation period...

I know more teams means more money for the Belt programs- but why were we not supported AT ALL in 2007?

moosicman
12-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Who is WW??

SOTS 86-89
12-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Who is WW??

Wright Waters, commissioner for the SunBelt Conference.

trojanmajorette
12-01-2009, 07:15 PM
I know for a fact that a conference call was done this morning with the Sun Belt officials and NO bowl officials and with some REALLY high ups in our Administration....from what I understand the phone call got a little heated between one of our officials and WW.

trojan02
12-01-2009, 07:50 PM
I know this has been discussed a million and one times, but I'm still really confused by this whole situation. Why does it matter what bowl Middle Tennessee gets a bid for? What does the NO Bowl contract actually say? We are the conference champions which means we get an automatic bid to the NO Bowl, right? If we get an offer from another bowl and decide to decline the NO Bowl and accept the other offer, then MTSU should go to NO. Otherwise, they have to find their own bowl game. What perks does the Sunbelt Champs get if we don't even get first dibs on what bowl game we are rightly entitled too? How can there be back door deals if the contract says Sunbelt Champs play in NO Bowl? I really hope we go to NO for the simple fact that I can't make it to any of the other ones if I could I'd follow the trojans wherever they went!

nasupporter
12-01-2009, 08:08 PM
I know this has been discussed a million and one times, but I'm still really confused by this whole situation. Why does it matter what bowl Middle Tennessee gets a bid for? What does the NO Bowl contract actually say? We are the conference champions which means we get an automatic bid to the NO Bowl, right? If we get an offer from another bowl and decide to decline the NO Bowl and accept the other offer, then MTSU should go to NO. Otherwise, they have to find their own bowl game. What perks does the Sunbelt Champs get if we don't even get first dibs on what bowl game we are rightly entitled too? How can there be back door deals if the contract says Sunbelt Champs play in NO Bowl? I really hope we go to NO for the simple fact that I can't make it to any of the other ones if I could I'd follow the trojans wherever they went!
My feelings exactly ! We should get first choice. Isn't the NO bowl for the conference champion? Shouldn't the conference champ get the opportunity to offer to give up their spot in NO. Is it even legal for the conference front office and the commissioner to push the champ out of the bowl if the bowl is contracted for the champ? I am really beginning to think the Sunbelt isn't where the Trojans need to be.

TroyTrojanNYC
12-01-2009, 08:15 PM
My feelings exactly ! We should get first choice. Isn't the NO bowl for the conference champion? Shouldn't the conference champ get the opportunity to offer to give up their spot in NO. Is it even legal for the conference front office and the commissioner to push the champ out of the bowl if the bowl is contracted for the champ? I am really beginning to think the Sunbelt isn't where the Trojans need to be.

Other posters have noted (in other threads) that the contract with the NO Bowl states that the bowl GETS FIRST CHOICE of teams - NOT that they are obligated to take the champion (and by default, the #1 team). Not sure if this is absolutely correct, but if indeed that's the way the contract is written -- then the conference champion does NOT "have a right" to the NO Bowl as some of you are stating. The team that goes is the team that the NO Bowl CHOOSES as it's "first choice."

TSU92
12-01-2009, 08:19 PM
I may be wrong, after all there is a first time for everything.:rolleyes:

I think the decision will be made by the bowls and the Sunbelt office with out a whole lot of input by us.

I don't think we are N.O. Bowls 1st choice to represent the Sunbelt this year and they want MTSU since they haven't been. The only way they can do that is to wait and see if another bowl will give us an invitation.

War_Damn_Trojans
12-01-2009, 08:30 PM
I am hearing that the GMAC bowl would like a Notre Dame/Troy match-up. Unless Notre Dame decides not to go bowling this year or Boise gets shafted, this might be Troy's bowl fate. Not sure how reliable my sources are this time though, so take it with a grain of salt.

TSU-Baggs
12-01-2009, 08:44 PM

It's all about the money...it's not about who deserves what.

TSU-Baggs
12-01-2009, 08:46 PM
Other posters have noted (in other threads) that the contract with the NO Bowl states that the bowl GETS FIRST CHOICE of teams - NOT that they are obligated to take the champion (and by default, the #1 team). Not sure if this is absolutely correct, but if indeed that's the way the contract is written -- then the conference champion does NOT "have a right" to the NO Bowl as some of you are stating. The team that goes is the team that the NO Bowl CHOOSES as it's "first choice."

Well said NYC Trojan.

tenaciousT
12-01-2009, 08:49 PM
I am hearing that the GMAC bowl would like a Notre Dame/Troy match-up. Unless Notre Dame decides not to go bowling this year or Boise gets shafted, this might be Troy's bowl fate. Not sure how reliable my sources are this time though, so take it with a grain of salt.

find new sources...

C.Mich or Temple is reppin the MAC in the GMAC.

who ever goes to GMAC Bowl will play one of these teams.

Trojans713
12-01-2009, 08:50 PM

That scenario is not possible. One of the teams in the GMAC Bowl will be a MAC team...contract obligations. The other team is slated to be an ACC team, but the ACC will not have enough bowl eligible teams to fill all their bowl spots. So, it could be either Troy OR Notre Dame in the GMAC Bowl, but not both.

MusicMan
12-01-2009, 09:43 PM
The NO bowl, from what I understand, says that they take a Belt team, no necessarily the champ. If we got a bigger bowl, let the MUTS have NO, I won't lose any sleep. The worst we can do is NO, that's a guarentee, so if we end up in GMAC that'd be great and I think it'd be a better venue, yada yada yada, but if not, oh well. We're going bowling that's all that matters.

Hemi Man
12-01-2009, 09:45 PM
I may be wrong, after all there is a first time for everything.:rolleyes:

I think the decision will be made by the bowls and the Sunbelt office with out a whole lot of input by us.

I don't think we are N.O. Bowls 1st choice to represent the Sunbelt this year and they want MTSU since they haven't been. The only way they can do that is to wait and see if another bowl will give us an invitation.

There is a good amount of truth in this post.

Hector
12-01-2009, 09:53 PM
1) If MUTS and Troy get no bid to any other bowl, then Troy as SunBelt sole champs will go to the NOLA bowl, as per the contract.

2) If We get an invite to a different bowl than NOLA, and MUTS gets nothing, that's where Waters will pressure us into taking whatever other bowl invites us. Waters would then give NOLA to the MUTS, and the conference could get two teams bowling.

3) If Muts gets their own bowl invite, but we get nothing (other than NOLA), then we must take NOLA, and MUTS must take their bowl.

I think this covers all the bases.

Posters on this board may recall that WW never had a great deal of rspect for our institution. When we were petitioning to get into the SunBelt, he said (in reference to Troy) that the conference presidents should not hurry to "grab at the low-hanging fruit".

This quote speaks volumes about where Waters loyalties lie as far as Troy is concerned.

The Red Wave
12-01-2009, 10:14 PM
1) If MUTS and Troy get no bid to any other bowl, then Troy as SunBelt sole champs will go to the NOLA bowl, as per the contract.

2) If We get an invite to a different bowl than NOLA, and MUTS gets nothing, that's where Waters will pressure us into taking whatever other bowl invites us. Waters would then give NOLA to the MUTS, and the conference could get two teams bowling.

3) If Muts gets their own bowl invite, but we get nothing (other than NOLA), then we must take NOLA, and MUTS must take their bowl.

I think this covers all the bases.

Posters on this board may recall that WW never had a great deal of rspect for our institution. When we were petitioning to get into the SunBelt, he said (in reference to Troy) that the conference presidents should not hurry to "grab at the low-hanging fruit".

This quote speaks volumes about where Waters loyalties lie as far as Troy is concerned.

WW has never worked for our interest. He is ill equipped and a did nothing for us when we are 8-4. It is time for us to do what is best for us....NOT the SBC. I say we tell him New Orleans is it and send the damn invitation....FED EX!

Florida_Trojan
12-01-2009, 10:44 PM
WW has never worked for our interest. He is ill equipped and a did nothing for us when we are 8-4. It is time for us to do what is best for us....NOT the SBC. I say we tell him New Orleans is it and send the damn invitation....FED EX!

Man, I was HOT when we went 8-4 and was left w/o a chair when the music stopped. And not a word was said from the Sun Belt Commissioner...

tr_oj_ans
12-02-2009, 12:15 AM
I have ZERO respect for WW, but if any of us put on the commissioner hat right now, what are we doing? We're trying to get the two best teams in the conference into the best bowls possible. I already have reservations in NO and would be very disappointed to go elsewhere, but WW is doing what any of us would be doing right now. As far as the bowls are concerned, it makes sense that GMAC would prefer Troy over the muts and NO bowl would prefer new blood, no matter who it is. I'm sure the mayor of the boro has already offered a key to the city to whoever will take them.....as if anyone would want it.

DedicatedTrojan84
12-02-2009, 09:04 AM
I have ZERO respect for WW, but if any of us put on the commissioner hat right now, what are we doing? We're trying to get the two best teams in the conference into the best bowls possible. I already have reservations in NO and would be very disappointed to go elsewhere, but WW is doing what any of us would be doing right now. As far as the bowls are concerned, it makes sense that GMAC would prefer Troy over the muts and NO bowl would prefer new blood, no matter who it is. I'm sure the mayor of the boro has already offered a key to the city to whoever will take them.....as if anyone would want it.

This is true. The powers that be are trying to do what they think is best for the conference and not screw us at all.

nasupporter
12-02-2009, 09:20 AM
The NO bowl, from what I understand, says that they take a Belt team, no necessarily the champ. If we got a bigger bowl, let the MUTS have NO, I won't lose any sleep. The worst we can do is NO, that's a guarentee, so if we end up in GMAC that'd be great and I think it'd be a better venue, yada yada yada, but if not, oh well. We're going bowling that's all that matters.
Has the NO Bowl ever taken anyone other than the Sunbelt Champ or CoChamp ?
So we are the True Champ this year and beat MTSU but they get to go to the NO Bowl? hmmm. Screw job imo.

The Messenger
12-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Why are people still acting like the New Orleans Bowl is such a great prize? Outside of it being in New Orleans, there is nothing that stands out about it. Nothing. And think about it. The champion of the Sun Belt being offered a chance to play anybody besides another conference champion or a team from an automatic qualifying conference should be seen as an affront and an insult. And the champion does not have to go there. The champion's prize is a guaranteed bid to a bowl, period. It just happens to be the New Orleans Bowl in this case and that does not mean that there are not other (and better) bowl opportunities out there.

The GMAC Bowl gives us a chance to play a better team (which is one of the main reasons I want to go), it's in the state in a vital recruiting area and the payout is larger. Whether we receive all of the payout remains to be seen but at least acknowledge the fact that this bowl is at least willing to dish out TWICE as much money as the New Orleans Bowl. Also, it's something different. I have nothing against the New Orleans Bowl but nobody should want to go to the same bowl two years in a row.

And please chill with the complaining about the dates. The national championship game is the day after it. Do you think any of the fans of the possible participants are complaining about that? No. Like somebody already said, this is D1 football. Deal with it.

DedicatedTrojan84
12-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Why are people still acting like the New Orleans Bowl is such a great prize? Outside of it being in New Orleans, there is nothing that stands out about it. Nothing. And think about it. The champion of the Sun Belt being offered a chance to play anybody besides another conference champion or a team from an automatic qualifying conference should be seen as an affront and an insult. And the champion does not have to go there. The champion's prize is a guaranteed bid to a bowl, period. It just happens to be the New Orleans Bowl in this case and that does not mean that there are not other (and better) bowl opportunities out there.

The GMAC Bowl gives us a chance to play a better team (which is one of the main reasons I want to go), it's in the state in a vital recruiting area and the payout is larger. Whether we receive all of the payout remains to be seen but at least acknowledge the fact that this bowl is at least willing to dish out TWICE as much money as the New Orleans Bowl. Also, it's something different. I have nothing against the New Orleans Bowl but nobody should want to go to the same bowl two years in a row.

And please chill with the complaining about the dates. The national championship game is the day after it. Do you think any of the fans of the possible participants are complaining about that? No. Like somebody already said, this is D1 football. Deal with it.

I am in awe of how great this post is. It has always burned me that we are the champion and get pinned against a middle of the pack CUSA team. I know they beat us last year but that was the result of "running backwards" and poor coaching. Those things have been fixed. How could someone not respect an in-state bowl? My ticket order is going up. I'm here to tell yall that there are a lot more TROY fans that are not on this board. I know many and have not heard a single one cry like a baby yet.

troyw
12-02-2009, 10:07 AM

Let's get this through our heads - the payout is based on how many tickets well sell! The higher payout means nothing if you sell fewer tickets.

The Messenger
12-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Let's get this through our heads - the payout is based on how many tickets well sell! The higher payout means nothing if you sell fewer tickets.

I guess you glanced over the rest. The potential payout is larger. I guess I should've included the word potential to hold off some genius from helping me to get my facts straight. And none of you know for sure if we'll sell less tickets. There are some people who aren't punch drunk on New Orleans like a lot of you are.

DedicatedTrojan84
12-02-2009, 10:16 AM
I guess you glanced over the rest. The potential payout is larger. I guess I should've included the word potential to hold off some genius from helping me to get my facts straight. And none of you know for sure if we'll sell less tickets. There are some people who aren't punch drunk on New Orleans like a lot of you are.

Thats funny and so true.

troyw
12-02-2009, 10:23 AM

Yeah, a little clarification is nice.

trojan02
12-02-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm not rooting for new orleans because its a great place to party or anything. In fact, I've never been there or have even had the desire to go for any reason except to see Troy play, but unfortunately I've never been able to go due to finances as a college student. This year was going to be my first year, and I was looking forward to it even more because of the great team this year! I want to see this group of seniors play one more time. I'm a teacher and school starts back that exact day, so there is no way I could take off. If it was a midweek game later in the month, I might be able to make something work. I know this game is about the team (not me), but I (and a lot of people) was looking forward to cheering on these guys, and the gmac bowl just has crappy timing! :frown:

redwave
12-02-2009, 11:07 AM
:wave:

Hey guys "whats the deal?" We're going to a bowl! Mobile? Good! NO? Good! Staying home in Troy on bowl day? Bad! Cheer up! Plan to go bowling.

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 11:28 AM
did nothing for us when we are 8-4.

There was nothing to do.

Going in we knew that either the Pac-10 was placing two in the BCS or the Big XII was placing two in the BCS. One bowl was going to be vacant and two teams had seven or more wins that were available, Troy and TCU.

If it were the Pac-10, there would be one vacant bowl, the Armed Forces Bowl in Dallas. That game already had MWC member Air Force in the game and they had played TCU already and had made it clear a rematch on TCU's field was unacceptable.

If it were the Big XII, the only vacant bowl would be Texas with Houston as the host team.

The Big XII got the nod and the Texas Bowl figured two Texas teams who used to be in the same conference was the better deal. If I had been director of the Texas Bowl I would have made the same exact choice.

Troy got left out in 2007 because the Orange Bowl picked Kansas forcing the Fiesta to take West Virginia. If the Orange had taken West Virginia as expected, Fiesta would have taken Arizona State and Troy would have been in Fort Worth.

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Has the NO Bowl ever taken anyone other than the Sunbelt Champ or CoChamp ?
So we are the True Champ this year and beat MTSU but they get to go to the NO Bowl? hmmm. Screw job imo.

Who won the WAC last year?

Boise.

Did they go to a WAC affiliated bowl? No. They opted to go to Poinsettia to play the best available team... TCU. Got the WAC a new deal with them for their trouble.

Who won the WAC in 2004?

Boise.

Did they go to a WAC affiliated bowl? No. They opted to go to the Liberty to play the best available team... Louisville.

If Boise is snubbed by the BCS, they've already said they are going to Mobile because of all the available bowls, Mobile offers the most attractive opponent

Choosing to leave your home bowl to play the best available opponent. I'm missing how that is a screw job unless your goal is to dodge competition.

Buzz Lightyear
12-02-2009, 11:37 AM
In those days there was nothing to do except wait and let the chips fall.....that is what we have with only one bowl guarantee. In 2007 it was like driving very slowly across ice and then trying to stop but it doesn't happen and you just wait to bump into something else. You know it is going to happen and you just sit there. This year is different and believe it or not it could have happened to MTSU at 9-3 as well but is not going to because of all the chips falling.....in 2007 it was cow chips for us.

playfailstoogain
12-02-2009, 11:38 AM

Boise.

Did they go to a WAC affiliated bowl? No. They opted to go to Poinsettia to play the best available team... TCU. Got the WAC a new deal with them for their trouble.

Who won the WAC in 2004?

Boise.

Did they go to a WAC affiliated bowl? No. They opted to go to the Liberty to play the best available team... Louisville.

If Boise is snubbed by the BCS, they've already said they are going to Mobile because of all the available bowls, Mobile offers the most attractive opponent

Choosing to leave your home bowl to play the best available opponent. I'm missing how that is a screw job unless your goal is to dodge competition.

I have determined that logic and basic reason have no place on most message boards - i do appreciate your effort in bringing some of both to this discussion.

troy145
12-02-2009, 11:39 AM

Boise.

Who won the WAC in 2004?

Boise.

I agree with you.

People who dont want to play the best available competition really make me scratch my head.

Discophobia
12-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Yeah, but for most people the most important thing is which city has the biggest selection of fruity drinks in tall keeper glasses.

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Yeah, but for most people the most important thing is which city has the biggest selection of fruity drinks in tall keeper glasses.

Don't buy those unless you are driving. Airline baggage handlers check the x-rays hit bags with those glasses with a sledge hammer.

redwave
12-02-2009, 12:09 PM
:confused-smiley-004

I went to the NO bowl last year. Good time, not many people there. So why the uproar? If there has been 40000 at GMAC the last couple of years, that's more than the NO bowl! For the last couple of days after reading all this stuff here I asked several friends that would be interested in going to see Troy. They almost all said that they would go to Mobile because they could go and then get back quickly. I live in Montgomery, Mobile is an easy drive down the road for us. There are lots of Troy fans in Mobile. Its easy to come from The panhandle, the Dothan area. Others that know about the GMAC said that Mobile REALLY puts out the red carpet and seems to appreciate the teams and Mobile appreciates having a bowl game it their city. They don't have an NFL game every week! To them this game is special. Anyway for this redneck I am very proud of my team and their accomplishments and I will support them the best I can either way.

pat4troy
12-02-2009, 05:21 PM
I think attending the GMAC Bowl might actually be harder for some people b/c of the date... Troy starts classes on the 6th, the first tuition payment is due, room & board must be paid, rent is due right before that, students have to buy books, etc. That's a lot of money out the door all at one time for the students and/or parents.... not to mention the people that can't take off work.

fiesty_red
12-02-2009, 05:52 PM

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww300/seanachie/NotSureIfSerious.jpg

I LOL'd, nevertheless