PDA

View Full Version : Perspective

Troy87
11-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Amid all this hullabaloo about why we should go here or why we should go there, and which is better for us, and all that nonsense, which WILL get resolved in due time, I thought I would throw a little perspective out for everyone's consideration.

Five years ago, in 2004, Johnny Williams had left the Troy program for Alabama. Scott Farmer had to try and put together a package for why Troy should be chosen to go to a bowl with a 7-4 record. With one hell of an effort, we went to the Silicon Valley Bowl in San Jose. I was there for that game, and I will do everything in my power to be at every bowl game Troy plays in.

Two years later we went to the New Orleans Bowl by pulling out a miracle in Murfreesboro. We went in as the underdog to Rice, with a new offensive system, a new QB, a new AD, and a lot of team chemistry, and put a beat down on our opponent.

The following year, we had an 8-4 record, but because we lost our last game, and the co-champion was a different team (trying not to have the same team every year), we sat at home with a bowl-worthy record, but no where to go.

Last year, we said we want the conference outright, and we did it and earned our second bid to New Orleans, not on some miracle, not on chance, and not because we shared the conference title and we were different than the team that went the year before.

This year, we are arguing WHICH bowl is the best one for Troy to go to. This year it's not IF we go to a bowl, where could we go....it's "We ARE going to a bowl, which one is best?".

My, my...much has changed in 5 years, and I think we all realize it, but the people in charge of our program have made some courageous decisions at times. Some better than others....some where there was no choice offered. But all in all, I think this program is being run prudently, and forward at all times. So when the deal is done and the decision is made of which bowl we will play in, I'm sure there will be some griping and gnashing of teeth, and probably some hate mail sent to the Athletic Offices, but in the end, we are waaaaay ahead of where we were 5 years ago, and to have the "option" of more than one bowl laid out in front us of says alot for what we have attained thus far.

FWIW!!

SOTSButterfly
11-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Yes, trying to figure out WHICH bowl we are going to sure is a nice problem to have!

TroyTrojans2003
11-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Plus I like the fact we seem to be following the Boise State plan, we just need to start winning out of conference games and we could potentially bust the BCS one day just like Boise is doing...they did it..why cant we? they are what 36-1 in conference play? and have huge wins against big name teams...I know we can do it...but we havent done it yet LOL

Texas Trojan
11-30-2009, 06:49 PM
... and won OOC games - WHILE KEEPING THE SAME QUALITY OF SCHEDULE - then no one can deny us.

From paycheck punching bag to BCS buster on par with the Boise States and TCU's of the world - that would make for one hell of a triumph.

TFan
11-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks-Troy87
GTT All-SBC Team

GO TROJANS!

BirminghamTrojan
11-30-2009, 10:33 PM
only six years ago... check the attachment...

ThePowerMan
11-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Ahhh.......Memories. And I was worried about which way they were taking that goal post out of the stadium so I could move my car.

And LB came out later and said if we beat Okie State that the student BETTER take down the goal posts............Memories.

SOTS 86-89
12-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Troy87 is right...it's been a great ride, with bigger and better things ahead. It's great to be a Troy TROJAN!!!

troy4ever
12-01-2009, 10:50 AM
amid all this hullabaloo about why we should go here or why we should go there, and which is better for us, and all that nonsense, which will get resolved in due time, i thought i would throw a little perspective out for everyone's consideration.

Five years ago, in 2004, johnny williams had left the troy program for alabama. Scott farmer had to try and put together a package for why troy should be chosen to go to a bowl with a 7-4 record. With one hell of an effort, we went to the silicon valley bowl in san jose. I was there for that game, and i will do everything in my power to be at every bowl game troy plays in.

Two years later we went to the new orleans bowl by pulling out a miracle in murfreesboro. We went in as the underdog to rice, with a new offensive system, a new qb, a new ad, and a lot of team chemistry, and put a beat down on our opponent.

The following year, we had an 8-4 record, but because we lost our last game, and the co-champion was a different team (trying not to have the same team every year), we sat at home with a bowl-worthy record, but no where to go.

Last year, we said we want the conference outright, and we did it and earned our second bid to new orleans, not on some miracle, not on chance, and not because we shared the conference title and we were different than the team that went the year before.

This year, we are arguing which bowl is the best one for troy to go to. This year it's not if we go to a bowl, where could we go....it's "we are going to a bowl, which one is best?".

My, my...much has changed in 5 years, and i think we all realize it, but the people in charge of our program have made some courageous decisions at times. Some better than others....some where there was no choice offered. But all in all, i think this program is being run prudently, and forward at all times. So when the deal is done and the decision is made of which bowl we will play in, i'm sure there will be some griping and gnashing of teeth, and probably some hate mail sent to the athletic offices, but in the end, we are waaaaay ahead of where we were 5 years ago, and to have the "option" of more than one bowl laid out in front us of says alot for what we have attained thus far.

Fwiw!!

+++++++++++1