PDA

View Full Version : Found this on Middles board about GMAC

newnan trojan
11-30-2009, 01:21 PM
http://blueraiders.dnj.com/article/20091130/BLUERAIDERS01/91130011/New+Orleans+Bowl+still+in+play+for+MTSU+

Drew chaplin didnt catch this because he is on vacation!!!!

CHughes1102
11-30-2009, 01:25 PM
I dont care which bowl we go to but damnit this is confusing.

EDIT: check out the funniest comment I have seen in a while

Troy wins the Sunbelt by a half of a game and they think they are entitled to choose there bowl? I don't care what is coming from that school, they are trying to pick and choose. I hope the Sun Belt or bowl committee (who ever is in charge) tells them it New Orleans or nothing and MTSU gets the GMAC just to cram it in their faces!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/Quickbat/fifty.gif

MusicMan
11-30-2009, 01:26 PM
interesting

newnan trojan
11-30-2009, 01:28 PM
THE SBC is behind this....Thats why we havnt gotten an invitation to the NO bowl yet because they are trying to get us to go to mobile and middle to NO so Middle will have a much better attended game than Detroit so it looks better for the SBC..

Troy and Larry has no control over where we are going at this point!

Mike Cunningham
11-30-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm tired of talking and thinking about it. I'm establishing a moratorium for myself on all bowl talk until it is officially announced.

troy4ever21
11-30-2009, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't mind that.

I prefer the NO Bowl. However, I think we would travel better to Mobile. Any chance ULL or ULM getting one? There is a lot of confusing talks going on here and at sunbeltbbs.... :confused:

newnan trojan
11-30-2009, 01:32 PM
I very much doubt ULL or ULM get a bowl....Middle will be lucky to do better than Detroit!

Trojan1998
11-30-2009, 01:33 PM
I dont care which bowl we go to but damnit this is confusing.

EDIT: check out the funniest comment I have seen in a while

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a373/Quickbat/fifty.gif

I'm not a math/statistics guru, but didn't Troy win the Sun Belt by one full game and not "a half of a game" like this MTSU poster states?

MusicMan
11-30-2009, 01:37 PM
either way, I still say the SBC is full of just as much crap as the BCS. I just want to know where we're going so I can make my freakin' plans!

newnan trojan
11-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Well for me if we go to Mobile, my plans include canceling my room in NO. and sitting my butt at home watchin it on TV since i cant make a middle of the week/right after the holidays game!

Navarre Trojan
11-30-2009, 01:54 PM
Quote: Troy wins the Sunbelt by a half of a game and they think they are entitled to choose there bowl? I don't care what is coming from that school, they are trying to pick and choose. I hope the Sun Belt or bowl committee (who ever is in charge) tells them it New Orleans or nothing and MTSU gets the GMAC just to cram it in their faces!

You beat me to the punch on this. This Middle fan is an idiot. He doesn't get that Troy is not "trying to chose their bowl" they are trying to chose the New Orleans Bowl. However, WW and cronies are trying to make some kind of backroom deal so that they can keep MTSU in Dixie so that they will have decent ticket sales and turnout. In theory, not a bad idea. However, I smell the rat here. MAC in no way wants to play MTSU as the Sun Belt #2, if they have to play a Sun Belt they want Troy! However, Troy, based on the conversations of Saturday night when the players and coaches were leaving Lafayette, want New Orleans, all for several reasons, all previously stated in numerous threads.

I just find it absolutley hilarious that these folks think that Troy is trying to spin it.
:rollinglaugh:
Wants us to have to go to New Orleans so that they, MTSU, can cram it in our faces! That is hilarious. BTW, Middle MUT, we CRAMMED IT YOUR FACE on Oct 6, 31-7!! :rollinglaugh:
U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E!!!

Buzz Lightyear
11-30-2009, 02:03 PM
We too have had a few remarks on this web site that the rest tend to cringe about, so let us assume the comment was by one of their douche muts and that they are not really cared or liked for by their own fans. It is obvious that WW is trying to spin a better bowl for MTSU than Detroit and I hope they get to go to Mobile and play like they have been playing. I actually like MTSU and think that their overall fan base are good folks and do not deserve the MUT monicker. However, this nimrod gives them a bad name.

AND Speaking of bad names......Wright Waters..........nuff said......

BirminghamTrojan
11-30-2009, 02:07 PM
First... How is New Orleans more 'regionally friendly' to MTSU than Mobile? That makes no sense...

Second... I agree with you Newnan. Hard to take time off after the first of the year. I probably won't make it either...

newnan trojan
11-30-2009, 02:08 PM
I love how WW is trying to Accommodate MTSU. When 2 years ago when were were sitting our A$$ at home with a 8-4 record he didnt give a flipping FU** and in fact took a vacation!!!:censored:

Navarre Trojan
11-30-2009, 02:25 PM
I love how WW is trying to Accommodate MTSU. When 2 years ago when were were sitting our A$$ at home with a 8-4 record he didnt give a flipping FU** and in fact took a vacation!!!:censored:

Didn't have the "man spheres" to answer questions when asked, but came up with some lame excuses and then decided he needed to 'go on vacation' and doesn't open his trap again about it. What an ID Ten Plus!!!

nasupporter
11-30-2009, 02:35 PM
New Orleans is for the sunbelt CHAMPION!! Any questions?
This conference and its leadership is a joke.

The Messenger
11-30-2009, 02:44 PM
New Orleans is for the sunbelt CHAMPION!! Any questions?
This conference and its leadership is a joke.

And the champion should be able to decide where they want to go. Especially when there is a chance of going to a bowl with a better payout and a better opponent.

TennesseeBoyintheRockies
11-30-2009, 03:13 PM

In defense of Wright, if I remember correctly there were quite a few more AQ-conference teams that had 7+ wins the year Troy went 8-4. No bowl will ever take a 7+ win at-large non-AQ conference team over a Big Six at-large that has 7 wins themselves because of the larger fanbases that exists in the bigger leagues. That's just how it is.

It was also mentioned the economics of Mobile being closer to Middle Tennessee State than New Orleans so why would the Sun Belt push MTSU to New Orleans? Because the Sun Belt does want MTSU in a southern bowl game. If Troy goes to New Orleans (which they've rightfully earned) that would still push MTSU with near certainty to Detroit because of the political dealings that would potentially pivot a MAC team against Notre Dame or possibly a team from the WAC (with 7 wins) if Hawaii becomes bowl eligible.

TennesseeBoyintheRockies
11-30-2009, 03:16 PM
And the champion should be able to decide where they want to go. Especially when there is a chance of going to a bowl with a better payout and a better opponent.

If you are referring to the GMAC, than your payout will only be facilitated by the tickets you sell. Potentially, if MTSU sold more tickets for its fans to New Orleans than Troy did for the GMAC in Mobile, MTSU would come out with the higher payout. The potential though is greater with the GMAC than can be for the New Orleans.

The Messenger
11-30-2009, 03:24 PM
If you are referring to the GMAC, than your payout will only be facilitated by the tickets you sell. Potentially, if MTSU sold more tickets for its fans to New Orleans than Troy did for the GMAC in Mobile, MTSU would come out with the higher payout. The potential though is greater with the GMAC than can be for the New Orleans.

Well, that also works. And since the game is in-state, I believe we would still have a decent turn out, regardless of folks who can't seem to get days off from work.

SOTSButterfly
11-30-2009, 03:27 PM

I 100% agree that it sucks and is unfair. However, I'm hopeful this means that he learned from that mistake and is making more effort now and will continue to do so in the future. MTSU may be the first receiving the accommodation, but hopefully they won't be last.

KAjunRaider
11-30-2009, 03:37 PM
I would think that Troy would prefer the GMAC. Look how long you'll have to sell tickets and make money for the program ?

Troy keeps that money, correct ?

Plus, with the GMAC coming on board next year, we need to get at least one team in the GMAC. Our champion (ya'll) plus the MAC champion.

trojanbrutha
11-30-2009, 03:42 PM
I would think that Troy would prefer the GMAC. Look how long you'll have to sell tickets and make money for the program ?

Troy keeps that money, correct ?

Plus, with the GMAC coming on board next year, we need to get at least one team in the GMAC. Our champion (ya'll) plus the MAC champion.

Man, I can't believe this, but here goes nothin'...

+1 :scared:

CHughes1102
11-30-2009, 03:43 PM
I say the SBC Champion against the MAC Champion sounds cool as hell!!!

newnan trojan
11-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Bowl payouts mean nothing much! its based on you number of ticket sales...its just that the GMAC bowl has the potential to make more money...

Even so the money made in the bowl are split between our other conference teams...meaning North Texas, Western Kentucky, Arkansas state...they all benefit from the bowl both Troy and Middle will attend!

Navarre Trojan
11-30-2009, 03:51 PM
is that there isn't a guarenteed payout. Because the bowl doesn't have a contract with the Sun Belt, they don't have to guarentee anything more than the ticket sales.

Which, BTW, is how the money is also generated at the New Orelans Bowl. If you sell your allotment of tickets you get so much money. This notion about "pay outs" seem to have clouded some of our brains. You basically have to 'earn' your money through ticket sales, Cruise raffles, and grocery bagging I guess. The only "real money" is in the upper tier games. Unfortunately we are just not there yet.

I, like many of you, will be there where ever they play. I just won't be able to bring the other 10 people with me that I could accomodate if the game were on Dec 20th. Thus, in my case, the school looses 9 tickets at $40 each, $360 dollars, or about 1% of what they would get if playing in the New Orleans Bowl.

trojanbrutha
11-30-2009, 03:58 PM
Bowl payouts mean nothing much! its based on you number of ticket sales...its just that the GMAC bowl has the potential to make more money...

Even so the money made in the bowl are split between our other conference teams...meaning North Texas, Western Kentucky, Arkansas state...they all benefit from the bowl both Troy and Middle will attend!

So what? That just means the teams that talk about us can thank us for whuppin' their arses and puttin' some money in their pockets too...I know who my daddy is and so does the SBC! :thumb:

The Messenger
11-30-2009, 04:16 PM
is that there isn't a guarenteed payout. Because the bowl doesn't have a contract with the Sun Belt, they don't have to guarentee anything more than the ticket sales.

Which, BTW, is how the money is also generated at the New Orelans Bowl. If you sell your allotment of tickets you get so much money. This notion about "pay outs" seem to have clouded some of our brains. You basically have to 'earn' your money through ticket sales, Cruise raffles, and grocery bagging I guess. The only "real money" is in the upper tier games. Unfortunately we are just not there yet.

I, like many of you, will be there where ever they play. I just won't be able to bring the other 10 people with me that I could accommodate if the game were on Dec 20th. Thus, in my case, the school looses 9 tickets at $40 each, $360 dollars, or about 1% of what they would get if playing in the New Orleans Bowl.

Just like the mere thought of New Orleans has clouded others. Even if the payout isn't guaranteed, the mere potential for a payout twice as much as the one for New Orleans should still be enticing. Even so, I'm more interested at the chance of playing a better opponent. Playing the MAC champion is lot more appealing than playing the third or fourth choice out of the CUSA. And it's also closer which would help more than I think a lot of folks would like to admit.

SOTS 86-89
11-30-2009, 06:44 PM

I was just thinking EXACTLY the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Florida_Trojan
11-30-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm tired of talking and thinking about it. I'm establishing a moratorium for myself on all bowl talk until it is officially announced.
Great idea. I will do the same.

TennesseeBoyintheRockies
11-30-2009, 07:30 PM
I was just thinking EXACTLY the same thing!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am simply perplexed that you guys are convinced that your commissioner failed to get you in a bowl game back in '07. The only failure in that was that there wasn't a second bowl tie-in for the Sun Belt for Troy to go. But under no circumstances did Wright Waters fail Troy in 2007 for a bowl. If you look at every team that competed in a bowl game in 2007, you would find that all but the following finished with at least seven wins:

These were the only 6-6 teams that went to bowls in 2007:

Nevada to the New Mexico Bowl (the WAC had an automatic tie-in)
UCLA to the Las Vegas Bowl (the Pac-10 had an automatic tie-in)
Maryland to the Emerald Bowl (the ACC had an automatic tie-in)
Colorado to the Independence Bowl (the Big 12 had an automatic tie-in)
California to the Armed Forces Bowl (the Pac-10 had an automatic tie-in)
Florida State to the Music City Bowl (the ACC had an automatic tie-in)
Oklahoma State to the Insight Bowl (the Big 12 had an automatic tie-in)
Ball State to the International Bowl (the MAC had an automatic tie-in)

Texas Christian filled THE ONLY at-large spot in the 2007-2008 bowl season. TCU at 7-5 replaced the Big 12 representative in the Texas Bowl to face Houston. Every single other bowl slot was filled by a team from conference contracted to that bowl. So the Texas Bowl was the only bowl available to pick up an at-large team.

If you're the Texas Bowl, and you want to sell tickets and you want the most prestigious Football Bowl Subdivision team available, who are you going to pick? They chose TCU. I would've too. They've been in 1-A longer. They have a tradition of excellence in football. It's an instate school to the bowl game.

I just hope this clears up this matter that the Sun Belt Conference commissioner failed Troy for a bowl game in 2007. The fact of the matter is, there was only one available bowl that Troy could even remotely been considered for since losing to FAU and forfeiting the bowl in New Orleans, and that was the Texas Bowl. Troy wasn't going to take that from TCU.

This shows the list of bowls and conferences contracted to those bowls:

http://cfn.scout.com/2/685463.html

From this site if you click on each result and examine the team records, you will find that every single team with the exception of TCU went to a bowl they were contracted:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2836420

SOTS 86-89
11-30-2009, 07:45 PM
I am simply perplexed that you guys are convinced that your commissioner failed to get you in a bowl game back in '07. The only failure in that was that there wasn't a second bowl tie-in for the Sun Belt for Troy to go.

That may be true, but NONE of the potential scenarios floating around regarding potential bowl games for MTSU involve ANY of the SBC secondary bowl tie-ins.

I don't have a problem with the conference trying to facilitate a bowl opportunity for MTSU (or any other deserving conference member school). If MTSU doesn't get into a bowl it would be a travesty and I well remember what it felt like to have the BEST record among FBS schools that DIDN'T receive a bowl big.

What does bug me is WW's statement today that it's not a conference matter or a school matter, but a bowl matter (I'm paraphrasing). Troy WON the SunBelt outright and the New Orleans Bowl has a contract with the conference to host the conference champion. Go look at the NO Bowl website as that is exactly what it says. Troy's not given an option from what I'm reading, and that's just wrong. No disrespect to MTSU or anyone else in the conference for that matter.

Bottom line, Troy lost the FAU game and cost themselves a bowl game. For the past two years they've won the conference outright to make sure that didn't happen again because that is the only way to GUARANTEE a bowl game as things stand right now.

Sorry...I'll get off my soapbox now.

Trojans713
11-30-2009, 08:03 PM
We can talk about conference champions or second or third place teams all we want. The simple fact is that the New Orleans Bowl has the first choice of Sun Belt teams. They can choose anyone they see fit as long as the conference champion is accomodated. The Sun Belt Champion is guaranteed a bowl...not necessarily the New Orleans Bowl. If the Conference Champ has not been accomodated elsewhere, the New Orleans Bowl is obligated to extend the invitation.

You may not agree with the arrangement, but there it is.

KAjunRaider
11-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Personally, I hope we go to the GMAC and Troy still goes to N'Awlins.

We'll sell a lot of tickets to Mobile, and it'll help us negotiate in the future, and is in South Alabama's back yard.

USA fans will hopefully come out and support the MEN in BLUE.

ThePowerMan
11-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Heck, its South Alabama's Stadium!! You could say you are getting a feel of their turf. Doubt South Alabama will support anyone. But I will say if We go to NO Bowl and MTSU goes to GMAC.....I will come pull for the Raiders. We are just an hour or so from Mobile and several of us go to that bowl each year also. But if you guys go to NO and we are at the GMAC.....youre on your own. I will be rooting you own from the recliner. Know what I mean?

SOTS 86-89
11-30-2009, 10:38 PM
We can talk about conference champions or second or third place teams all we want. The simple fact is that the New Orleans Bowl has the first choice of Sun Belt teams. They can choose anyone they see fit as long as the conference champion is accomodated. The Sun Belt Champion is guaranteed a bowl...not necessarily the New Orleans Bowl. If the Conference Champ has not been accomodated elsewhere, the New Orleans Bowl is obligated to extend the invitation.

You may not agree with the arrangement, but there it is.

That's what Wright Waters said in the newspaper today. That is not what is stated in the information posted on the New Orleans Bowl website. If negotiations are happening to help MTSU I really don't have a problem with that. My problem is that I don't believe Mr. Waters is being honest. Just last year there was talk of Troy going to another bowl (Birmingham) yet the NO Bowl said the conference champion had to play in their bowl. What has changed in a year?

BirminghamTrojan
11-30-2009, 10:49 PM
That's what Wright Waters said in the newspaper today. That is not what is stated in the information posted on the New Orleans Bowl website. If negotiations are happening to help MTSU I really don't have a problem with that. My problem is that I don't believe Mr. Waters is being honest. Just last year there was talk of Troy going to another bowl (Birmingham) yet the NO Bowl said the conference champion had to play in their bowl. What has changed in a year?

I was just thinking the same thing... I recall the hullabaloo from the NO bowl officials last year when there was talk of Troy accepting another bowl bid and us doing the stand-up thing and accpeting the bid as soon as we had clinched the championship.

KAjunRaider
11-30-2009, 10:51 PM
I have a feeling that Central Michigan may be "trying" to pull some strings to get UCLA to Mobile if ND, in fact, decides not to go bowling.

I know UCLA is a so-called "bigtime" program, but would they really travel that well to Mobile, Alabama ? Will CMU travel to Mobile ?

Does GMAC get more for TV advertising for a UCLA appearance ?

I know that CMU thinks the SBC is small time. I was glad to see FAU smack them in that mouth last year. CMU needs to stay in Dee-troit where they belong.

KAjunRaider
11-30-2009, 10:52 PM
I was just thinking the same thing... I recall the hullabaloo from the NO bowl officials last year when there was talk of Troy accepting another bowl bid and us doing the stand-up thing and accpeting the bid as soon as we had clinched the championship.

It must be about the ticket sales, then.

trojanbrutha
11-30-2009, 11:52 PM

They didn't want a 6 win team from the SBC...now it's not a problem...

pelliott
12-01-2009, 12:32 AM
The SBC Champ goes to New Orleans
If another SBC team gets a bowl - that is great - I am happy for them

AND

Happy for the conference - I think Troy fans should buy tickets to the bowl Troy is not in just to raise money for the BELT

Be happy two teams go bowling - regardless where they go!

HOWEVER - if I hear MTSU or anybody else tell me that another bowl is better because of money - give me a break - THE CHAMP OF THE SBC GOES TO NO.......

MTPiKapp
12-01-2009, 02:40 AM
HOWEVER - if I hear MTSU or anybody else tell me that another bowl is better because of money - give me a break - THE CHAMP OF THE SBC GOES TO NO.......

With all due respect why is it important for you to go to the SBC championship bowl? If you think it's because people watching might think that MT won the conference, give me a break! I guarantee you that the average, hell the above average football fan, outside of the Sun Belt and (maybe) C-USA has no clue that the SBC champion is supposed to go to New Orleans. Let's face it SBC champ to New Orleans Bowl is not exactly on the same level as Pac 10 champ to the Rose Bowl. What's more is even if there was the possibility of this confusion actually happening, I can promise you that it would be a point of discussion during the broadcast.

Personally, as long as we're bowling, I'll be pretty happy and as long as it's not Detroit, I'll be there. I actually enjoyed Detroit last time and would go back, but extended family Christmas is that same day and we're starting to worry that Grandpa might not see too many more Christmases and I plan on seeing many, many more MT bowl games.

newnan trojan
12-01-2009, 07:19 AM
I think Both Bowls would be great for Troy...But most people want to go to New Orleans because most of the Alumni of Troy are Teachers. And with the GMAC bowl being on the first day back to school, They arnt going to be able to make it! This also goes for Students...

TennesseeBoyintheRockies
12-01-2009, 07:49 AM
That may be true, but NONE of the potential scenarios floating around regarding potential bowl games for MTSU involve ANY of the SBC secondary bowl tie-ins.

That is because the Sun Belt's only secondary tie-ins (St. Petersburg Bowl, Papajohns.com Bowl, and the Independence Bowl) are already filled by the leagues who have the initial contracts. There's still an outside shot that MTSU could go to St. Pete. There's talks of that.

The reason why the Pizza Bowl and GMAC Bowl and New Mexico and Humanitarian Bowls for that matter are being discussed is because the Big 10 and ACC fell short of eligible teams to fill spots in the Pizza and GMAC bowls respectively. It is assumed that TCU and Boise will qualify for a BCS Bowl. That would free up the Humanitarian Bowl due to the WAC having one less team (especially if Hawaii doesn't qualify for a bowl), and the New Mexico Bowl would also be free because the Mountain West won't have enough teams to fill its slot there.

I don't have a problem with the conference trying to facilitate a bowl opportunity for MTSU (or any other deserving conference member school). If MTSU doesn't get into a bowl it would be a travesty and I well remember what it felt like to have the BEST record among FBS schools that DIDN'T receive a bowl big.

MTSU already knows what it is like to be snubbed a bowl game after having 8 wins--one which included a win over an SEC team. Look back in 2001. Eventually North Texas went to a bowl game with a losing record and got throttled by CSU-Fort Collins in the New Orleans Bowl. Now, that was a travesty and a mistake by the Sun Belt.

What does bug me is WW's statement today that it's not a conference matter or a school matter, but a bowl matter (I'm paraphrasing). Troy WON the SunBelt outright and the New Orleans Bowl has a contract with the conference to host the conference champion. Go look at the NO Bowl website as that is exactly what it says. Troy's not given an option from what I'm reading, and that's just wrong. No disrespect to MTSU or anyone else in the conference for that matter.

Troy is being given an option. If Troy really wants New Orleans, they'll get New Orleans for the reason you just mentioned--the Sun Belt's champion goes to that bowl game. The conference can try to sway Troy, and so can the New Orleans Bowl committee in order to keep both Sun Belt schools in bowls in the South, but to say Troy has no choice in the matter is not true. Troy always has a choice.

Right now, a majority of the projections have Troy in New Orleans and MTSU in Detroit. I would readily expect for that to be what actually transpires.

JonesOxygen
12-01-2009, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE=
Troy is being given an option. If Troy really wants New Orleans, they'll get New Orleans for the reason you just mentioned--the Sun Belt's champion goes to that bowl game. The conference can try to sway Troy, and so can the New Orleans Bowl committee in order to keep both Sun Belt schools in bowls in the South, but to say Troy has no choice in the matter is not true. Troy always has a choice.
[/QUOTE]

If Troy was given the option, we would all have our tickets to New Orleans by now! The Sun Belt is calling the shots 100%. It is a slap in the face to our program that we, the undisputed champions of this league are at the mercy of some goof ball in New Orleans. If we were tied with MTSU, then I am okay with the league calling the shots, but for the winner of the conference to be sent to a bowl that will not sell tickets and is not in a prime location just to make another team happy, is a disgrace!

newnan trojan
12-01-2009, 08:54 AM
I agree with JMS 110%... let's start sending the SBC emails!!!!

JonesOxygen
12-01-2009, 09:05 AM
http://www.sunbeltsports.org/CreateTicket.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4100

I sent one!

newnan trojan
12-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I sent one too JMS!

JaredMc
12-01-2009, 09:55 AM
I sent one as well.

DedicatedTrojan84
12-01-2009, 10:03 AM
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2009/11/weekend_violence_leaves_four_i.html

have fun getting shot. I'll be watching on my HDTV. Tired of going to N.O every year. For the people that are afraid to take off work or school:

http://users.chariot.net.au/~misterx/steve/images/cry_me_a_river.jpg

newnan trojan
12-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Dont come on here crying either if we do end up in Mobile and you are there with only about 5,000 Troy fans!

DedicatedTrojan84
12-01-2009, 10:21 AM
No crying from me. I am just daring to be different. I dont whine about work, school, kids, cold. Its not my style.

newnan trojan
12-01-2009, 10:23 AM
I wouldnt mind something different either....but im being realistic with the Troy fans....u know how fickle they can be....This date and time for the GMAC bowl would be an EPIC fail for attendance....Not to say I dont want us to play there I think it would be fun as hell to play the MAC champ...just being realistic for the TROY nation....just sayin!

TSU-Baggs
12-01-2009, 10:28 AM
With all due respect why is it important for you to go to the SBC championship bowl? If you think it's because people watching might think that MT won the conference, give me a break! I guarantee you that the average, hell the above average football fan, outside of the Sun Belt and (maybe) C-USA has no clue that the SBC champion is supposed to go to New Orleans. Let's face it SBC champ to New Orleans Bowl is not exactly on the same level as Pac 10 champ to the Rose Bowl. What's more is even if there was the possibility of this confusion actually happening, I can promise you that it would be a point of discussion during the broadcast.

Personally, as long as we're bowling, I'll be pretty happy and as long as it's not Detroit, I'll be there. I actually enjoyed Detroit last time and would go back, but extended family Christmas is that same day and we're starting to worry that Grandpa might not see too many more Christmases and I plan on seeing many, many more MT bowl games.

Guys, perception is reality....the later in the bowl schedule you play the more prestigious people think the bowl is. I'd rather play the day before the BCS championship game in Mobile than in the NOLA Bowl which is perceived as a "warm-up" bowl game. If you don't agree, why do you think the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Fiesta are all so close to the BCS championship game? Why don't they sprinkle them between all the other bowls in December and Jan 1. Those schools playing in the first week of January all have alumni and families that have to go to work and go to school, but they're not complaining and they all seem to show up in mass.

I'd put us in the GMAC bowl playing a better opponent over the NOLA bowl any day.

DedicatedTrojan84
12-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Now that Mr. Newnan makes more sense. but my thing is I would rather go play a 10-2 team over a 7-5 team. Maybe if we start mixing it up a bit these fickle fans will cheer up and act right.

Every time I walk into the big super dome for the NO bowl I feel like its an epic fail of attendance. Maybe thats just me.

DedicatedTrojan84
12-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Guys, perception is reality....the later in the bowl schedule you play the more prestigious people think the bowl is. I'd rather play the day before the BCS championship game in Mobile than in the NOLA Bowl which is perceived as a "warm-up" bowl game. If you don't agree, why do you think the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Fiesta are all so close to the BCS championship game? Why don't they sprinkle them between all the other bowls in December and Jan 1. Those schools playing in the first week of January all have alumni and families that have to go to work and go to school, but they're not complaining and they all seem to show up in mass.

I'd put us in the GMAC bowl playing a better opponent over the NOLA bowl any day.

Best post of the century......I now bow to Mr. Baggs. :thumb:

newnan trojan
12-01-2009, 10:31 AM
Ya but those school playing on those dates in January are normally schools like UGA, ALA, ARK, Texas, USC...

Our fan base is not large enough yet and is very Fickle.....Attendance wise would not be good on a january middle of the week game....Atleast not yet, we are too young of a program in D1

You have to realize we are not a BCS school with Millions of fans!!!!

We struggle to even bring 20k to a home game guys!!!

Navarre Trojan
12-01-2009, 11:33 AM

Baggs - I agree 100%, all the way and including Jan 1st. After that, bowl games, besides the BCS Cartell, are an afterthought.

The reason the Rose, Sugar, Fiesta and Orange Bowls are so close to the BCS Championship is two-fold; Tradition and Televi$ion, PERIOD. It has nothing to do with anything else, except for those two things. Remember, before we had the "BCS National Championship Game" these were almost always played on Jan 1st and an occasional Jan 2nd night, depending on which bowl game had the "preceived national championship game". These games have never moved, it is the BCS Championship game that was scheduled "out" from the traditional bowls to give the illusion of those two teams being head and shoulders above all others. Which, brings in the dollars. Those conferences who 'traditionally' play in what use to be known as the New Year's Day Bowls make absolutely sure that this tradition isn't broken. In fact, it is part of the argument that college presidents use AGAINST the playoff discussion, "we don't want to lose the tradition of college football and disrupt the traditional bowl games.

This is why these games aren't 'sprinkled in Dec', they've NEVER been played any other days of the year besides these. These schools/conference champions have ALWAYS played on these days, that's why.

Spiritual_Trojan
12-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Alright I'm convinced, we should just go to the NO bowl for at least the next 15-20 years. I had bought into all the previous talk on the board and by the school about Troy being a serious Mid-major team that would play ANYONE, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME!!!!! I guess everyone who thought/thinks that except for the school expects us to wake up one day and have a packed stadium every game and 12-0 seasons in a bigger conference without taking some chances.

Lets see what looks better to a recruit. Hey man we've been to the Silicon valley bowl, two NO Bowls, and the GMAC bowl or hey we keep going to the same bowl no matter what? If we want to be big time we have to think big time. Is the GMAC big time, no but it's a step toward it.

TUTrojan
12-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Alright I'm convinced, we should just go to the NO bowl for at least the next 15-20 years. I had bought into all the previous talk on the board and by the school about Troy being a serious Mid-major team that would play ANYONE, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME!!!!! I guess everyone who thought/thinks that except for the school expects us to wake up one day and have a packed stadium every game and 12-0 seasons in a bigger conference without taking some chances.

Lets see what looks better to a recruit. Hey man we've been to the Silicon valley bowl, two NO Bowls, and the GMAC bowl or hey we keep going to the same bowl no matter what? If we want to be big time we have to think big time. Is the GMAC big time, no but it's a step toward it.

Got to say it is great to be mentioned in the company of Notre Dame (possibly largest fan base in collegiate football), perennial BCS buster Boise State, and history-rich UCLA as teams in contention for Mobile Bowl. The New Orleans bowl will never have that problem.

Navarre Trojan
12-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Hey man we've been to the Silicon valley bowl, two NO Bowls, and the GMAC bowl...

"...and we were mentioned in the same convesation with Notre Dame, Boise State, and UCLA..."

sasquatch67
12-01-2009, 01:52 PM

Very good point.My wife was like I have to go back to work just before that game in Mobile. I told her to quit whining, you know you will be there. Thats what I am telling all of you. Your bosses will understand and if you are true trojan fans you will quit whining and take one day off and drive or fly down to Mobile and watch the stinking game.I have said it once and wil say it again, everyone wants our program to get better and playing in a better bowl will get us out there more and will be a key step to getting our better secondary and what ever else ppl complain about on here. Im not sayin we are not going to NO and if we do it will be better on my family's schedule,but if it is in Mobile ,you can bet your tail we will be there too.Come on guys lets not be selfish and think about what is best for our program and school!!! Rain,cold,heat, or snow,JUST SHOW!!!! This should be our new motto!! Happy Holidays and Merry CHRISTmas!!!:thumb:

TroyTrojans2003
12-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Man I get tired of hearing about this GMAC crap bowl in Mobile. Whats best for our school? are you kidding me? we couldnt even beat a low level MAC team, we couldnt win out of conference this year, and we are actually griping about not going to the GMAC bowl? I hate saying this but if the so called upper powers want this, I hope the attedence is low! I am upset as a fan cause like many of you, we have families and other obligations. I am hoping we get the New Orleans Bowl because it will fit my Christmas schedule! Plus I will be able to attend the bowl game this year! January 5th? is it? for GMAC? Good luck selling tickets, noone cares about that stupid game before the huge games! LOL...knowing ESPN they will have some kind of power outage, and then sit there and laugh about it. Thats why we need to start winning out of conference games, cause no matter if we are #1 or not, we cant be taken seriously if we can only win conference games! We need to start modeling after Boise, if they can do it, we can to, its a matter of when? When are we going to Cowboy up?

sasquatch67
12-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Man I get tired of hearing about this GMAC crap bowl in Mobile. Whats best for our school? are you kidding me? we couldnt even beat a low level MAC team, we couldnt win out of conference this year, and we are actually griping about not going to the GMAC bowl? I hate saying this but if the so called upper powers want this, I hope the attedence is low! I am upset as a fan cause like many of you, we have families and other obligations. I am hoping we get the New Orleans Bowl because it will fit my Christmas schedule! Plus I will be able to attend the bowl game this year! January 5th? is it? for GMAC? Good luck selling tickets, noone cares about that stupid game before the huge games! LOL...knowing ESPN they will have some kind of power outage, and then sit there and laugh about it. Thats why we need to start winning out of conference games, cause no matter if we are #1 or not, we cant be taken seriously if we can only win conference games! We need to start modeling after Boise, if they can do it, we can to, its a matter of when? When are we going to Cowboy up?

No offense, but this is not about you or the others that are being selfish. The games dont fit my schedule either and we are in the same boat as ppl that are anti-mobile. I will be missing my family Christmas to go to NO. Maybe some of our fans should stop complaining and Cowboy up!! Dont get upset that is just my opinion.

CHughes1102
12-01-2009, 02:06 PM

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/RudeCock/Fun%20images/Dawsoncries.jpg

DedicatedTrojan84
12-01-2009, 02:20 PM

http://fruityoaty.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/biggest_whiner_statue_2.jpg

Psideffect
12-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Why don't you people understand that the Bowl game isn't about you or how good of a time you can have in a city or if you get to see your family when you want to or if you can go to work or anything involving YOU!!! This is about the players and coaches for a reward for THEIR work. If you don't wanna go cause it's too far, or you're afraid of getting shot, then don't go... I'm sure you won't be missed. I'll be there supporting my Trojans like I always do, and I'm gonna have fun wherever we go with my fellow Trojans!!!

PCTrojan
12-01-2009, 02:22 PM

Just to fact check We did win an out of conference game this year.... UAB????

Also from and early reply I also sent an email to the sun belt requesting some information about why we have not been invited to the New Orleans bowl as the champ?

newnan trojan
12-01-2009, 02:29 PM
I AM SORRY but if Bosie St scheduled some SEC teams like WE do each year. Bosie st. wouldnt be undefeated!

Playing their WAC schedule isnt much different than the SBC schedule....every now and then they throw a PAC 10 or BIG 10 team in there but even so its usually a lower level team even from that conference!

Navarre Trojan
12-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Why don't you people understand that the Bowl game isn't about you or how good of a time you can have in a city or if you get to see your family when you want to or if you can go to work or anything involving YOU!!! This is about the players and coaches for a reward for THEIR work. If you don't wanna go cause it's too far, or you're afraid of getting shot, then don't go... I'm sure you won't be missed. I'll be there supporting my Trojans like I always do, and I'm gonna have fun wherever we go with my fellow Trojans!!!

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT! I will be there, no matter where they play. If it's in New Orleans, I will be able to buy 12 tickets (brining the family, kids, grand kids, boyfriends, best friends). If it's in Mobile, I'm buying 1 ticket, nobody else can get the time off of work, school, or travel back from Arizona. Just the way it is.

Not trying to make anyone angry or win the 'crying towel' just stating my situation (and I am sure others like me). Hopefully if we go to Mobile, Troy will be able to make up the loss of ticket sales to folks like me with others that can't make it to New Orleans, or we wont be able to make a dime off of this higher level, more prestigious bowl game.

PCTrojan
12-01-2009, 02:36 PM
I AM SORRY but if Bosie St scheduled some SEC teams like WE do each year. Bosie st. wouldnt be undefeated!

Playing their WAC schedule isnt much different than the SBC schedule....every now and then they throw a PAC 10 or BIG 10 team in there but even so its usually a lower level team even from that conference!

Well dating back to 2006 Boise St. is 4-1 against BCS schools, including Pac 10, Big Ten and Big XII.

That is impressive for any non-BCS school, we can't boast that yet, we can hope to reach that record over a 4 year stretch someday

newnan trojan
12-01-2009, 02:38 PM
Still...I fully believe Arkansas. or Florida would beat Bosie this year......Bosie almost lost to Lousiana Tech...a former SBC member!!!

Cane gone Trojan
12-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Still...I fully believe Arkansas. or Florida would beat Bosie this year......Bosie almost lost to Lousiana Tech...a former SBC member!!!

I agree! Boise has done a great job with their program, and they have had some nice victories, but if they really want to see where they stand as far as being an elite college football team then they need to get in the ring with a few top tier SEC schools.

The Messenger
12-01-2009, 02:53 PM

LSU almost lost to Tech too, and then (barely) beat Arkansas. What's your point?

PCTrojan
12-01-2009, 02:54 PM
hmmm I do remember boise beating an oklahoma team that was mentioned in the NC a couple years ago, and I do believe last year a lowly WAC team trounced an SEC team in a BCS bowl, Utah over UA, so these comparisons are becoming ridiculous. Those teams have earned their respect, give it to them.

newnan trojan
12-01-2009, 02:57 PM
They also had a close game with Tulsa who is one of the worst teams in CUSA right now.....Bosie won 28-21

Nevada came back on Bosie 44-33

newnan trojan
12-01-2009, 02:58 PM
All im saying is if your going to be ranked in the top 10 every year they need to be playing more SEC and Big 12 schools!

But wait if they were to do that they wouldnt be in the top 10 year in and year out...so why fix something that isnt broke:thumb:

PCTrojan
12-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Well if we are going to look at Boise and schools as such with such little respect, what reason is there for us to think we will ever get any respect even if we win our 1 SEC game a year??? People will be saing the same stuff about us that you are saying about them!

Cane gone Trojan
12-01-2009, 03:02 PM
hmmm I do remember boise beating an oklahoma team that was mentioned in the NC a couple years ago, and I do believe last year a lowly WAC team trounced an SEC team in a BCS bowl, Utah over UA, so these comparisons are becoming ridiculous. Those teams have earned their respect, give it to them.

True True, Utah trouncing Bama made Troys loss to SMiss a little less painful. I respect what Boise has done, and would love to see Troy become a Boise one day, but it makes it a little more difficult to do so by playing top tier SEC school at THEIR place. I don't think Boise would do much better if they played SEC schools on the road.imo

Rette
12-01-2009, 03:05 PM

:wave:I agree. IMO you really don't know what the SEC has until the end of the year. When they have to play OOC in a location other than their home field things are a little different. Utah had the UAT defense totally confused in the Sugar Bowl. Utah had scored 21 point before the elephants knew what happened. You take away the one punt return by UAT and that game is over a lot earlier. I would love to watch a UAT vs TCU matchup on a neutral field.

PCTrojan
12-01-2009, 03:09 PM
:wave:I agree. IMO you really don't know what the SEC has until the end of the year. When they have to play OOC in a location other than their home field things are a little different. Utah had the UAT defense totally confused in the Sugar Bowl. Utah had scored 21 point before the elephants knew what happened. You take away the one punt return by UAT and that game is over a lot earlier. I would love to watch a UAT vs TCU matchup on a neutral field.

Amen, that game was over before the bands were seated!!!

We just have to fight like hell especially here to give the Boise's and Utah's all the credit they deserve or we will never get that kind of credit, They have reached the summit and are simply waiting on the chance to put the flag in the mountain top. We are at the bottom of that same mountain looking up, we need to encourage them and pump them up not try and shoot them down!

Cane gone Trojan
12-01-2009, 03:24 PM

Good point! I would love to see TCU in the National title game vs Florida. I think it would be oh so sweet for a little dayjavoo though if Bama could lose their final two games of the season with the last loss coming to another Mid- Major power in the Sugar Bowl.

WhoaNellie!!!
12-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Good point! I would love to see TCU in the National title game vs Florida. I think it would be oh so sweet for a little dayjavoo though if Bama could lose their final two games of the season with the last loss coming to another Mid- Major power in the Sugar Bowl.

As funny as that would be to a lot of people, I just see Alabama avenging last season's loss to Florida. Florida didn't need the huge distraction with their best defensive player getting the DUI. Whether people will admit it or not, it will be a significant factor in the SEC title game.

As far as I'm concerned, it's Florida's turn this season to get embarrassed by a mid-major in the Sugar Bowl. TCU is the real deal with that defense they have.

btdt
12-01-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm not a math/statistics guru, but didn't Troy win the Sun Belt by one full game and not "a half of a game" like this MTSU poster states?

right, also how many games does a football conference champ usually win the conference by anyway. Usually not by 1 or 2 games.

Burrt Keyes
12-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the GMAC bowl always in the middle of the week, outside, cold and wet, in January, after kids/teachers go back to school? And don't they usually have two teams not from the southeast?

So how is it that it's attendance is always better than the N.O. Bowl? Just wondering how so many folks can say if we go to GMAC that the turnout would be an "epic fail" when the history says otherwise.

a251trojan
12-02-2009, 03:18 AM
im sorry MOBILE is horrible......horrible middle of the week wet game just to get a few more bucks??? A Horrible town!....why everyone is trying to get out of the good bowl game in N.O. and trying to be really cheap and go for the money in the GMAC bowl ?And let theMUTS feel like they beat us and get the better bowl.??:scared:...sorry i will feel an embarasment to the unversity if we go to anywhere but the N.O. bowl
GO Trojans!!!!
N.O. all the way!!!

Hemi Man
12-02-2009, 04:38 AM
im sorry MOBILE is horrible......horrible middle of the week wet game just to get a few more bucks??? A Horrible town!....why everyone is trying to get out of the good bowl game in N.O. and trying to be really cheap and go for the money in the GMAC bowl ?And let theMUTS feel like they beat us and get the better bowl.??:scared:...sorry i will feel an embarasment to the unversity if we go to anywhere but the N.O. bowl
GO Trojans!!!!
N.O. all the way!!!

This is not the university's decision.

TFan
12-02-2009, 09:00 AM
GO Trojans!!!!
N.O. all the way!!!

Everyone whose opinion counts around TU is trying hard to get IN the Nola Bowl. Blakeney, S. Dennis, The Team.

TroyTuba
12-02-2009, 09:04 AM
So how is it that it's attendance is always better than the N.O. Bowl? Just wondering how so many folks can say if we go to GMAC that the turnout would be an "epic fail" when the history says otherwise.

Because the town shows up for the game.....but the tickets they buy/get won't come from our athletic office so Troy would not see that money from ticket sales.

TennesseeBoyintheRockies
12-02-2009, 11:53 AM
This is not the university's decision.

Troy is the Sun Belt Champion. The New Orleans Bowl has a contract to host the Sun Belt champion. That's in writing. If Troy doesn't go to New Orleans, then it was Troy's choice not to go. It is your university's decision. It's false ideology to suggest that an outside party FORCED your school out of a bowl you earned. The Sun Belt and New Orleans Bowl can try to twist Troy's arm all it wants. If Troy goes anywhere but New Orleans, it will be because Troy's administration made an alternative agreement with the Sun Belt and New Orleans Bowl. In which then, you can blame your own officials if you aren't happy with another bowl.

troyw
12-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Troy is the Sun Belt Champion. The New Orleans Bowl has a contract to host the Sun Belt champion. That's in writing. If Troy doesn't go to New Orleans, then it was Troy's choice not to go. It is your university's decision. It's false ideology to suggest that an outside party FORCED your school out of a bowl you earned. The Sun Belt and New Orleans Bowl can try to twist Troy's arm all it wants. If Troy goes anywhere but New Orleans, it will be because Troy's administration made an alternative agreement with the Sun Belt and New Orleans Bowl. In which then, you can blame your own officials if you aren't happy with another bowl.

You are totally wrong on this one!

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 12:20 PM
No he isn't.

Troy can do what La.Tech did in 2001, point to the contract and stay in New Orleans.

Of course decisions like that often have a cost.

Tech screwed the WAC and when three WAC teams left for CUSA and another vacancy emerged, those three lobbied for UTEP despite the horrific geography.

What happens if two years down the road there are three bowl eligible teams from the Sun Belt and Troy is one of them but Troy isn't the conference champion. Do you think that whichever one of New Orleans and Mobile is contracted for second pick from the Sun Belt isn't going to issue payback and leave Troy hoping that Detroit comes open?

No. Troy won't be FORCED to go to Mobile if Troy truly wants to dodge a champion vs. champion match-up, but Troy best not expect any favors out of MT nor out of the GMAC or New Orleans Bowl.

TroyFootball05
12-02-2009, 12:21 PM
You are totally wrong on this one!

How about lets do this: since we are all in disagreement about certain things (how the bowl contracts work, what's REALLY happening), lets start posting links to official information so we know things for sure.

I'll be honest, with no hard information coming down the wire from higher ups, it's hard to believe WW and the NO Bowl are trying to screw us with "smoke filled, back room deals." Show me evidence.

My fear is that this is becoming a gossip fest where no one really knows anything and assumptions are being made on info that was posted on this site without any real evidence to back anything up. I haven't seen many links to official information in this "bowl fiasco" that's going on.

This is all hearsay, and while there's no real danger in talking amongst ourselves, I'd still like to be more well informed with legit information that base things on what someone (no offense) who I've never even seen in person, is saying.

I would like to see some links to how the NO contract actually works. I'm sure you're all nice people, but there's a point where I can't just take your words for it if many of you are in conflict about what something is or isn't. You shouldn't take offense to it, it's a message board.

Arkstfan, maybe you can help? You've been a good help so far, maybe you can dig up some links to the bowl contracts. :thumb:

troyw
12-02-2009, 12:26 PM
No he isn't.

Troy can do what La.Tech did in 2001, point to the contract and stay in New Orleans.

Of course decisions like that often have a cost.

Tech screwed the WAC and when three WAC teams left for CUSA and another vacancy emerged, those three lobbied for UTEP despite the horrific geography.

What happens if two years down the road there are three bowl eligible teams from the Sun Belt and Troy is one of them but Troy isn't the conference champion. Do you think that whichever one of New Orleans and Mobile is contracted for second pick from the Sun Belt isn't going to issue payback and leave Troy hoping that Detroit comes open?

No. Troy won't be FORCED to go to Mobile if Troy truly wants to dodge a champion vs. champion match-up, but Troy best not expect any favors out of MT nor out of the GMAC or New Orleans Bowl.

So, we can go to NO but the conference will make our lives a living hell if we do? Doesn't sound like much of a choice to me!

nasupporter
12-02-2009, 12:37 PM
So, we can go to NO but the conference will make our lives a living hell if we do? Doesn't sound like much of a choice to me!

Sounds like a great conference.

TennesseeBoyintheRockies
12-02-2009, 12:42 PM

That's a little over the top. I wouldn't think the SBC or New Orleans Bowl would ever make Troy's life a living nightmare, but you can expect that both would be sorely disappointed if Troy went against an option they were pushing for. Say you and your friends have a disagreement. You go your way, but they go another. Unless you stabbed a friend in the back by cheating with his girlfriend, most petty things are overlooked. No one is suggesting that Troy is doing any cheating on anyone else to belittle a partnership. It's just a simple difference of opinions. Married couples have them all the time. In the end, it is still Troy's choice in the matter.

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 12:50 PM

No not all.

But a conference is a partnership. I doubt any of the other members would be swayed one way or another about this incident but I wouldn't count on MT's vote for anything Troy wants and it would be blind and arrogant to expect it if they get shipped off to Detroit because Troy doesn't want to play champion vs. champion. On the other hand if I were voting for ASU, I would be leery of anything Troy wants because frankly I would have very little faith in your judgment when you choose a course of action that is contrary to the best of interest of the conference and your school.

What New Orleans and Mobile choose to do in reaction is controlled by them and their boards, the Sun Belt doesn't have reps on either.

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Sounds like a great conference.

It is.

Problem is an institution that a couple years ago was complaining about not having multiple bowl options for the members is working contrary to that interest now. If there has been an announcement that the Sun Belt GMAC thing is a done deal for 2010-13, I've not seen it. If it never materializes I suspect I know what derailed it.

YJason
12-02-2009, 01:01 PM
I am really disliking the heavy handedness the conference is giving us...already didn't take kindly to the description our "commish" had given us. Not liking everyone that isn't involved in the bowl discussion telling us to to to GMAC, when Middle would be happy to go there. Conference actions might put a bad taste in our mouths, sure hope they don't need our help one day.

Buzz Lightyear
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Logic and argument (civil hopefully) convinces me that GMAC is the way to go even with fears of turn out. It would be hard to argue against something that is in the best interest of the not only the conference but ourselves in another years scenario. Missing work is like really pretty fun except I wish it did not cost so dang much.

Mr. Ho
12-02-2009, 01:11 PM
It is.

Problem is an institution that a couple years ago was complaining about not having multiple bowl options for the members is working contrary to that interest now. If there has been an announcement that the Sun Belt GMAC thing is a done deal for 2010-13, I've not seen it. If it never materializes I suspect I know what derailed it.

Mr. Ho say: arkstatefan is true voice of reason. We all go insane over this thing. From here on out I listen only to arkstatefan on this subject - Mr. Ho serious too.

Navarre Trojan
12-02-2009, 01:13 PM
It is.

Now THAT'S over the top, don't you think, if you are implying that Troy "is working contrary to that interest now"? I don't think that there is one single institutional representative posting on this board, at least not representing Troy. So that statement is a bit out of scope, isn't it?

This is just a group of passionate Trojans trying to discuss (sometimes emotionally) the who's and what for's regarding their team and where they may or may not go bowling. It has nothing to do with that the INSTITUTION is doing! Dr. Hawkins is now president of the Sun Belt Executive Committee, so why in the world would he put Troy in a position of jeopardy? That just doesn't even make sense. http://www.troytrojans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17200&ATCLID=204807483 (http://www.troytrojans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17200&ATCLID=204807483)

So this insinuation is unfounded, I believe.

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Some of these posts really trouble me.

How is asking a school to consider a deal that enhances Troy's prestige and helps the conference as whole "heavy handed". Ask being the key word, because contract controls if Troy choose to.

What really bothers me is that I see the same attitude that made La.Tech hell to deal with.

There is a strong take but not give attitude in the conference relationship. The conference isn't some beast that exists independently. It is an association of the schools presumably working toward their mutual best interest. A few years ago, North Texas moved the date of our game to accomodate a contract we had gotten with Army. Then ASU accomodated North Texas when UNT needed to move a date in order to get on ESPN. Sometimes you take a short-term hit to help and you do so with the understanding the others would do the same for you.

When Comcast/Charter called ASU asking to televise the Troy game this year, ASU initially said no. Early kickoffs are bad for attendance that time of year because of the farm work going on, tickets had already been printed with the game time, ASU had already set it schedule for entertaining the governor and legislators as part of our government weekend, the stores, restaurants and hotels beg ASU to play at the later time because its good for their business. Troy called ASU and asked them to reconsider arguing that despite the fact that it would hurt attendance and not be popular with fans or the business community it was better for the league that the game be shown on television even though access to that in Arkansas is highly limited. ASU agreed and the kickoff was changed and many of you got to see it on television.

It was a decision that cost ASU money and goodwill in the short-term but was done with a long-term view. Now when someone makes a call to Troy making similar arguments it is heavy handed and it is an attempt to force Troy to do something. Maybe Troy shouldn't be heavy handed and try to force people to do things if you are going to be offended when others do it to you.

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Now THAT'S over the top, don't you think, if you are implying that Troy "is working contrary to that interest now"? I don't think that there is one single institutional representative posting on this board, at least not representing Troy. So that statement is a bit out of scope, isn't it?

This is just a group of passionate Trojans trying to discuss (sometimes emotionally) the who's and what for's regarding their team and where they may or may not go bowling. It has nothing to do with that the INSTITUTION is doing! Dr. Hawkins is now president of the Sun Belt Executive Committee, so why in the world would he put Troy in a position of jeopardy? That just doesn't even make sense. http://www.troytrojans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17200&ATCLID=204807483 (http://www.troytrojans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17200&ATCLID=204807483)

So this insinuation is unfounded, I believe.

It is not over the top. There is no jeopardy Troy is placed in other than loss of goodwill from two bowls that have some interest in hosting Sun Belt teams.

Trojan2003
12-02-2009, 01:41 PM
It was a decision that cost ASU money and goodwill in the short-term but was done with a long-term view. Now when someone makes a call to Troy making similar arguments it is heavy handed and it is an attempt to force Troy to do something. Maybe Troy shouldn't be heavy handed and try to force people to do things if you are going to be offended when others do it to you.

Troy dropped Ball State from its schedule and replaced BSU with WKU in 2007. We even played at their place...

YJason
12-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Just irks me to be put in the same catagory as LaTech for wanting what we were supposed to get when we won the conference. So now when you achieve a goal and you get the shell game played on you for bowls it is ok? I just don't see it. GMAC isn't the Rose Bowl, get real.

If you don't think Troy has bent over backwards in scheduling you are wrong...how many consecutive trips to south Florida and Lousiana have we made.

Tell GMAC to take the 2nd place team from the conference they didn't have the contract with. Let us stick with the one for the champion.

troyw
12-02-2009, 01:55 PM
Just irks me to be put in the same catagory as LaTech for wanting what we were supposed to get when we won the conference. So now when you achieve a goal and you get the shell game played on you for bowls it is ok? I just don't see it. GMAC isn't the Rose Bowl, get real.

If you don't think Troy has bent over backwards in scheduling you are wrong...how many consecutive trips to south Florida and Lousiana have we made.

Tell GMAC to take the 2nd place team from the conference they didn't have the contract with. Let us stick with the one for the champion.

I guess the "low hanging fruit" should take what we can get. :scared:

FliryVorru
12-02-2009, 01:58 PM
Mr. Ho say: arkstatefan is true voice of reason. We all go insane over this thing. From here on out I listen only to arkstatefan on this subject - Mr. Ho serious too.

I second that.

Thanks for (trying) to inject some reason in to all of our skulls, arkstatefan.

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 01:58 PM

I hope like hell Boise gets passed over by the BCS so you guys can see what a national program does when they get the chance.

Discophobia
12-02-2009, 02:08 PM
ARKSTFAN, is right on all counts. Some of you guys are just expressing your emotions and that is fine and I understand that. You have wanted to go to New Orleans all year and now you are threatened with not going and it is upsetting your plans. Perfectly understandable However, look at the big picture do you want to go TROY to go to New Orleans because it is better for the program or because it is better for you?

TSU92
12-02-2009, 02:11 PM
arkstfan,

Don't worry, all Troy fans aren't the same. Some understand what you are saying and agree.

Some fans think if a bowl game is bad for their schedule then it is bad for Troy. They don't look at the long term and the positive impact it could have on the program.

arkstfan
12-02-2009, 02:13 PM
January 7 or January 1 in Pasadena would be hard to travel to, bet people would find a way :)

playfailstoogain
12-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I hope like hell Boise gets passed over by the BCS so you guys can see what a national program does when they get the chance.

That's the thing that a lot of people on here simply dont realize - and it pretty simple based on the Boise hypo you just gave:

Boise State is either going to get invited to a BSC bowl game OR choose the GMAC bowl

Troy can either elect to take the NO Bowl option OR choose to go the GMAC Bowl if Boise makes the BCS

Can it not be any clearer that the GMAC bowl should be out preferred bowl from an institutional perspective???

I'm done trying to discuss this rationally - i'm simply going to sit back and let the extremeist use thier wit and cunning fingers to determine what is the "Armpit of America Bowl"...

Most programs enjoy hacing bowl options - but appearantly not some people on this board.

good-day.

jagd1305
12-02-2009, 08:34 PM
My view is that I KNOW we're going to a bowl game. May be Mobile. May be N.O.. Would I prefer N.O. ? Sure. Would I go to Mobile? Certainly. I would also prefer a SBC brethren school (in this case MTSU) to get a regional bowl as well rather than go up to Motown. Will it happen. I don't know. The real bowl season does'nt begin until conference titles and other games are concluded this weekend. I'll like the bowl setups even more when other SBC schools can break into the 7-5 season category and we start being more effective in out of conference games.