PDA

View Full Version : Bowl mess

littlebittyschool
11-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Let me clear all of this up for you guys so you can be experts when talking around the water cooler in the morning.

There are 3 games next saturday that will have a major impact on the at-large bowl situation: Texas vs Nebraska, Boise State vs New Mexico State, and Hawaii vs Wisconsin.

If the favorites win in each of those games, Boise will get the final BCS at large spot and there will be four bowls left with open slots. These are: GMAC, Eagle Bank, Pizza Bowl (formerly Motor City bowl in Detroit), and either the Humanitarian or New Mexico Bowl.

There are 3 "left over" teams that will be placed in 3 of those. NIU, Bowling Green, and MTSU. There are MAC teams on the other side of Pizza and GMAC so to avoid a conference game and possible rematches, NIU and Bowling Green will go to Eagle Bank and Humanitarian/New Mexico Bowl. MTSU will go to GMAC or Pizza (or New Orleans if we make a swap). There are a slew of 6-6 teams for the last spot, but 2 of them are from AQ conferences: Notre Dame and UCLA. Notre Dame would be the first choice of either GMAC or Pizza, but they may decline a bowl bid, especially if they fire Weis (and they don't want to play a MAC team). That would leave UCLA to fill the other one.

Bowl "choices" for Sunbelt teams are Pizza (Detroit one), New Orleans, or GMAC unless...

The underdog wins in ANY of the three games I mentioned above. In a nutshell, any of those things happening would give the WAC an extra 7-5 team that they will send to GMAC because of a secondary contract. That would send MTSU (or us) to Detroit and the two MAC teams to Eagle Bank and either New Mexico/Humanitarian.

The only way that St. Pete or Papa Johns will come open is if Cincy loses to Pitt and the BCS takes Cincy over Boise for the last at large spot. I think the only way that happens is if Boise loses to New Mexico State (one of the worst teams in the country).

The GMAC bowl is holding all of the cards right now, but it's a huge range of teams that they could get. They could wind up with anyone from Notre Dame to Idaho as the opponent for the MAC team.

Unless Boise loses, the earliest we'll know if the GMAC is still in play or not is at the end of the Hawaii game which won't be over until well into Sunday morning. (Seems like we stayed up late watching a Hawaii game not so long ago for our bowl chances eh?)

What's going to be frustrating to the Troy people is that after all of this, we might just end up in New Orleans anyway, but with three less weeks to sell tickets than if the bid would have came out after we clenched the conference.

Once again, I'll put the disclaimer on that all of the above is with the assumption that the bowls follow the contracts they are given. Back room deals and ESPN might jumble everything up, but if they do and if we're involved, then we need to have them sweeten the pot as much as possible without ticking them off too bad.

TrojanWarrior418
11-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Let me make this a bit more simple. Troy is technically in the New Orleans Bowl. But Steve Dennis is waiting to see what happens to Boise State. If Boise State wins they could go to a BCS Bowl which would create a vaccancy in the GMAC Bowl which seems to me where Dennis wants Troy to play in the post season. However, if Boise State loses or gets passed up (unlikely) they will go to Mobile. If the Broncos go to a BCS then look for Troy to wind up in the GMAC Bowl if Boise loses then we will take the New Orleans Bowl bid.

Also the option for the St. Petersburg Bowl and Papa Johns.com Bowls have been closed for us. Sorry no chance to play Auburn in the post season.

This is according to my sources.

littlebittyschool
11-29-2009, 07:46 PM
Also, if Hawaii wins, then GMAC is off the table.

Troy87
11-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Let me make this a bit more simple. Troy is technically in the New Orleans Bowl. But Steve Dennis is waiting to see what happens to Boise State. If Boise State wins they could go to a BCS Bowl which would create a vaccancy in the GMAC Bowl which seems to me where Dennis wants Troy to play in the post season. However, if Boise State loses or gets passed up (unlikely) they will go to Mobile. If the Broncos go to a BCS then look for Troy to wind up in the GMAC Bowl if Boise loses then we will take the New Orleans Bowl bid.

Also the option for the St. Petersburg Bowl and Papa Johns.com Bowls have been closed for us. Sorry no chance to play Auburn in the post season.

This is according to my sources.

I will assure you Steve Dennis is NOT the one who is waiting for this result. It is the Sunbelt office in conjunction with the NO Bowl committee.

The Red Wave
11-29-2009, 08:27 PM
I will assure you Steve Dennis is NOT the one who is waiting for this result. It is the Sunbelt office in conjunction with the NO Bowl committee.

I think we are being hosed by the SBC and The Bowl Committee. Screw them both!

MusicMan
11-29-2009, 08:31 PM
The BCS is ALMOST as bad as those ref's last night

bigguyonright
11-29-2009, 10:09 PM
one of the spots in either new mexico or boise will be taken by bowl eligible mwc member Wyoming. right now the uw ticket office is waiting to see which they will get. if new mexico they will play fresno if boise they will play idaho