PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Scuttlebut

Rufus the Magnum Trojan
11-29-2009, 01:38 PM
I heard through the grapevine that the players voted last night as to what bowl they would prefer (PJ or NO). New Orleans won.

Anyone heard the same?

TrojanEmpire
11-29-2009, 01:47 PM
I heard through the grapevine that the players voted last night as to what bowl they would prefer (PJ or NO). New Orleans won.

Anyone heard the same?

It doesn't matter b/c the Big East and SEC will be able to fill the slots

cville
11-29-2009, 01:56 PM
I know my opinion makes about as much diffence as anybody else on here but...

I am all for NO or B'ham or Orlando or etc. What matters to me is the match up we get. Anybody, Anytime, Anywhere!! Get the best opponent and then tell me which stadium to show up at.

Does the later the date mean more practice time?

December 20th = 3 weeks of post season practice
January 7th = 6 weeks of post season practice time

svenattroy
11-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Again, its gotta be New Orleans or nothing. Every other spot is filled (I believe) so if the team was voting on anything, it should be whether or not to have the po' boy with shrimp or chicken!

Pensacola Kid
11-29-2009, 02:58 PM

Anyone heard the same?

I find this highly unlikely. Not that they would prefer NO, but that there would be a vote. Steve Dennis is adamant about getting to a bigger bowl game. Anyone who spoke with him before the season knows he has big dreams for our program.

Bottom line, it's up to him!

Navarre Trojan
11-29-2009, 03:00 PM
I find this highly unlikely. Not that they would prefer NO, but that there would be a vote. Steve Dennis is adamant about getting to a bigger bowl game. Anyone who spoke with him before the season knows he has big dreams for our program.

Bottom line, it's up to him!

Bottom line, IT'S UP TO JACK!!! MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT THAT!!

PensacolaTrojan
11-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Graham says she sees us in the NO Bowl vs Marshall and Middle in St. Pete vs USM.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/14454/non-aq-bowl-projections-3

trojanbrutha
11-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Graham says she sees us in the NO Bowl vs Marshall and Middle in St. Pete vs USM.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/14454/non-aq-bowl-projections-3

Is she Dr. Jack's wife? :jester:

Pensacola Kid
11-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Bottom line, IT'S UP TO JACK!!! MAKE NO MISTAKE ABOUT THAT!!

Fair enough. However, before the season you and I were in the same room when Steve Dennis was talking to us about things "bigger" than the New Orleans bowl. I believe he even mentioned climbing to the level of the Orange Bowl over the next XX years.

Obviously the chancellor will have the final say, but do you really think he would disagree with the AD and pull out "trump card" in regards to an athletic program decision?

bigguyonright
11-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Again, its gotta be New Orleans or nothing. Every other spot is filled (I believe) so if the team was voting on anything, it should be whether or not to have the po' boy with shrimp or chicken!

i vote fried catfish on the po boy, or soft shell crab

TroyTuba
11-29-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't understand how we run the tables, are the outright champ and MTSU could end up in a better bowl?????????????????????

tenaciousT
11-29-2009, 10:35 PM
I don't understand how we run the tables, are the outright champ and MTSU could end up in a better bowl?????????????????????

it is all perspective...

A couple years ago Troy went to NO and MTSU went to Detroit on Dec 25 or 26.MTSU's bowl may have been considered a "better bowl" but i believe that the team and fans would have much rather have gone to New Orleans, for the weather and ticket sells (which is how you get the bowl payout, through tickets sold)

We thumped rice, espn's darling that season, and MTSU got thumped by C.Mich (i think). I dare to say that year, the NOB was the better bowl

bigguyonright
11-29-2009, 10:56 PM
i agree. in december i would much rather spend the weekend in new orleans than in detroit

SOTSButterfly
11-30-2009, 12:04 AM
Caught the end of Trojan Sports Report on ABC here in Montgomery...coach said he sees us in NO Bowl.

Burrt Keyes
11-30-2009, 12:27 AM
The players have not "voted" on a bowl option, but LB did tell them in the locker room that they "would have a say" in where the team went. Not sure if that would mean a team vote, or maybe a vote of the seniors, or the captains speak on behalf of the team.

Or maybe he just meant the team's perspective would be consider among other factors.

Burrt Keyes
11-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Oh, and by the way, if the team voted, they would pick New Orleans. But keep in mind that they don't know the whole story, and are biased by the following:

1. All they know is New Orleans, and the good times to be had there. No other bowl experience to draw from.

2. New Orleans is all they think about during the season - as the reward for the conference champs. They even chant "NEW ORLEANS" during some huddle breaks at practice.

3. Most importantly, they don't want to practice for an extra three weeks (including during Christmas break when classes are over and campus is dead). Playing in New Orleans means they are done on Dec 21.

CardinalBlackTrojan
11-30-2009, 01:33 AM
I want to go to New Orleans.

troy145
11-30-2009, 01:49 AM
Play and beat the best opponent is how I feel. Marshall would be kind of disappointing. I wish we could play UCF :(

However, I dont matter.

Man of Troy
11-30-2009, 01:51 AM
Oh, and by the way, if the team voted, they would pick New Orleans. But keep in mind that they don't know the whole story, and are biased by the following:

1. All they know is New Orleans, and the good times to be had there. No other bowl experience to draw from.

2. New Orleans is all they think about during the season - as the reward for the conference champs. They even chant "NEW ORLEANS" during some huddle breaks at practice.

3. Most importantly, they don't want to practice for an extra three weeks (including during Christmas break when classes are over and campus is dead). Playing in New Orleans means they are done on Dec 21.

Does it really matter if the athletes know the whole story or not? As much as we all would like for the Troy Athletic Dept to get an extra boost, it is my belief that this bowl game (whichever one) is a reward for our players and coaches.

I would love it if the choice was left up to the team and coaches and let them pick what they want to do...I think regardless, that those of us who can, will follow the team where ever they go!

newnan trojan
11-30-2009, 07:18 AM
Why dont we Send MTSU to Mobile so we can say to the MAC..."Here is our #2 team to play your MAC champ!' I fully believe MTSU would win. MTSU is probally just as good as we are especially late here in the season!

Look i mean GMAC may be a LITTLE bit better mainly because of the payout...BUT doesnt matter anyway when the money made at the bowl is spread around the conference. If Troy goes to New Orleans and MTSU goes to Mobile the total payout will be over 1million....That money is bases on ticket sales and then its distributed among the SBC teams....

I think it would send a STONG message to the MAC if we send our #2 team to Mobile and MTSU beats them!

TUTrojan
11-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Why dont we Send MTSU to Mobile so we can say to the MAC..."Here is our #2 team to play your MAC champ!' I fully believe MTSU would win. MTSU is probally just as good as we are especially late here in the season!

Look i mean GMAC may be a LITTLE bit better mainly because of the payout...BUT doesnt matter anyway when the money made at the bowl is spread around the conference. If Troy goes to New Orleans and MTSU goes to Mobile the total payout will be over 1million....That money is bases on ticket sales and then its distributed among the SBC teams....

I think it would send a STONG message to the MAC if we send our #2 team to Mobile and MTSU beats them!

NOt sure what message it sends when we send our #1 to play against a middle of the pack Conference USA team and send our #2 to play against a conference champion. We gain no prestige in beating a 6-6 team from Conference USA, period, but we do look bad if we lose. We gain something in beating a champion from a rival conference.

ThePowerMan
11-30-2009, 10:29 AM
I think they will go with the bowl that offers the best marketing for Troy. You can bet that Steve D and Dr. Hawkins will take a look at the history from the Nelson Ratings. I don't think the bowl payout will have much to do with it. They will be looking at this as a 4 hour info-mercial. They will also look at at the tickets that WILL get sold (whether we buy them or not). They simply want butts in the seats so they can advertise us as a "Big" draw. This "big draw" is to sell us to another conference.

THis has little to do with us as fans or players and what we want "short term". They are looking at this thing further down the road.

Buzz Lightyear
11-30-2009, 11:11 AM
I think they will go with the bowl that offers the best marketing for Troy. You can bet that Steve D and Dr. Hawkins will take a look at the history from the Nelson Ratings. I don't think the bowl payout will have much to do with it. They will be looking at this as a 4 hour info-mercial. They will also look at at the tickets that WILL get sold (whether we buy them or not). They simply want butts in the seats so they can advertise us as a "Big" draw. This "big draw" is to sell us to another conference.

THis has little to do with us as fans or players and what we want "short term". They are looking at this thing further down the road.

These are excellent points.....So if they even consider a mid week bowl outside there would little to any chance of having a big draw.....Unless ESPN does something really wierd the GMAC has no chance and that puts us in N.O.

Trojan1998
11-30-2009, 11:16 AM
It looks like the GMAC is being held up by Notre Dame. If Notre Dame accepts a bid to GMAC, then MTSU goes to Detroit. If Notre Dame accepts bid to Detroit, then Troy or MTSU will go to GMAC.

For the bowl game gurus out there, how does this 'bowl war' between the GMAC Bowl and Pizza Bowl work exactly?

TSU92
11-30-2009, 11:22 AM
These are excellent points.....So if they even consider a mid week bowl outside there would little to any chance of having a big draw.....Unless ESPN does something really wierd the GMAC has no chance and that puts us in N.O.

That's not correct because the GMAC has historically had much bigger attendance numbers than N.O. and much bigger veiwership and TV ratings.

Discophobia
11-30-2009, 01:59 PM
Plus a sold out 40,000 seat stadium looks much better on tv than a not even full bottom tier of the giant Superdome! GMAC has a much better viewing time slot the night before the BCS Shampionship than an early bowl season Sunday night.

TrueTrojan
11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Just thought this was interesting & could possibly effect some of the bowl fallout. It seems Notre Dame's players will vote today whether they even want to play in a bowl this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4700891

DedicatedTrojan84
11-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Plus a sold out 40,000 seat stadium looks much better on tv than a not even full bottom tier of the giant Superdome! GMAC has a much better viewing time slot the night before the BCS Shampionship than an early bowl season Sunday night.

You cant convince any of that because of their personal home lives are to affected by the date. So in that case lets just go to N.O. We dont want any of yall to have to get a damn baby sitter.

JaredMc
11-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I think you'll see ND in Mobile and MTSU in Detroit, but that's just an opinion.