PDA

View Full Version : Steve Dennis

Rufus the Magnum Trojan
11-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Steve doesn't sound locked into the NO bowl on postgame interview. Could have just said that's where we were going...

Troy87
11-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Steve doesn't sound locked into the NO bowl on postgame interview. Could have just said that's where we were going...

Well, we do actually have to have an invitation, and to my knowledge, that invitation has not been extended yet. The Bowl Commottee is waiting to see what shakes out, and if we get an invite to another bowl.

The Red Wave
11-28-2009, 11:02 PM
sounded as if the New Orleans Bowl and the SBC are waiting to see if we get another offer so they could get MTSU to New Orleans. Funny, when we had 8 wins, the SBC could care less about us. Now they want us to wait for what is best for the Conf! Screw that! Waiting another 8 days is insane! People have to make plans. The longer they wait, the smaller the crowd!

TrojanEmpire
11-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Well, we do actually have to have an invitation, and to my knowledge, that invitation has not been extended yet. The Bowl Commottee is waiting to see what shakes out, and if we get an invite to another bowl.

It's nice to have a bowl bid in our pocket, but if we can get us a bigger payout and better exposure, then we should take it.

New Orleans gets old after a little while. I would like to go to a game where we are the main event and not a side show.

MusicMan
11-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Well they were talking about it, if we get the invite to the NO bowl, we'll have like two weeks to prepare for it, that's team, coaches, and fans.....that means it'll fill up fast once we know for sure

Rufus the Magnum Trojan
11-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Does anyone know how SunBelt bowl money is divided between the conference members? If it is equally shared, I'm not seeing the benefit of waiting to take the NO bowl.

The Red Wave
11-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Does anyone know how SunBelt bowl money is divided between the conference members? If it is equally shared, I'm not seeing the benefit of waiting to take the NO bowl.

whatever bowl game we go to, it is split evenly with all teams in SBC.

Rufus the Magnum Trojan
11-28-2009, 11:40 PM

If that's the case, we should be NO bound. Best opportunity for game weather, crowd and tv visability.

1motime
11-29-2009, 08:09 AM

Could we say we will go to a different bowl but only if we get a larger cut?

Troy87
11-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Could we say we will go to a different bowl but only if we get a larger cut?

Nope.

Every conference has this set-up.

Don't know if it's still true or not, but used to be in the SEC, a bowl payout was divided into 12 parts (before Arkansas and So. Carolina joined). There were 10 schools that each got 1/12th. The team that actually played in the bowl got a second helping, if you will. And finally, the conference office got a slice too. After the addition of Ark. and SC, I can only surmise the same system is intact, except the bowl proceeds are now cut into 14 pieces.

Navarre Trojan
11-29-2009, 02:55 PM
in Lafayette last night when speaking to some of the folks from Troy. The New Orleans Bowl is NOT cut and dried for the SBC Champion! There is a mis-conception about this and the language is sort of weird has to how it is written. Bottom line is this, the New Olreans Bowl gets the FIRST CHOICE of Sun Belt Teams, not necessarily the "FIRST PLACE TEAM". Like all of the other bowls, the position in the conference standings makes no difference in whom they decide to choose. If the bowl folks think that MTSU would bring more fans, and they are tied with Troy, then the New Orleans Bowl could take them for the revenue they would bring.

Now, this conversation occured prior to our victory, and had we lost, then we would have been tied with MTSU, with exact 7-1 records, and Co-Champions. WE would have won the conference because of the head-to-head, but that left an "out" for the New Orleans Bowl. Now that we have won the conference outright, they, the New Orleans Bowl, would have to take us because of the outright championship, 8-0.

When talking to the players when they came out to get on the buses to go home, there still wasn't a 'clear cut' message being sent and Coach B didn't talk about it (but he was in a hurry to get home to his wife, whos mother passed on Tuesday). Steve Dennis did not speak to it either. The players were mixed in their comments about the bowl situation. They know they are going somewhere, but don't necessarily know the choices.

It is all sort of odd to me, but it sounds like the "WW Connection" may be at work again in the Cresent City. I wish this bafoon would go away and become the Athletic Director of some secondary school system in Arkansas or somewhere!

NWFLTrojan
11-29-2009, 07:33 PM
the language is sort of weird has to how it is written.

Really? Confusing language in a WW contract? Huh, Imagine that.