PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article:La-La versus TROY admissions

troyw
11-25-2009, 12:12 PM
http://ultoday.com/node/923

...Somebody said Troy's admission standards are below ours, and they don't have to comply with the APR.

When the NCAA instituted the APR, they put in a filter for 'institutions of low resource.' They put this in in part to help the HBCUs, the Historically Black Colleges & Universities. They were worried about the disparity in resources. So they looked at funding from the state, per-student university resources, and federal Pell grants and similar funding. So it's built on those 3 criteria.

There were about 490 programs in 2008 that were affected by the APR, that received a waiver. That's not schools, it's by each program. We don't fall into that category. Athletics appropriations here isn't as much as UL's allocation per student, and TOPS affects us because it's a financial allocation, not a fee waiver. And the other thing is that we don't have as many Pell's.

There are three Sun Belt schools that fit into that category: Troy, ULM, and ASU are considered Low Resource Institutions. So there's money allocated, $1.6M nationwide, to help all of them bring up the APR. They don't suffer any penalties, but each of them sets up benchmarks. Say a LRI school has an APR of 790, if they set and meet benchmarks, they won't be penalized. Just to give you an example, Troy signed 40 guys last year. They're placing a lot of guys in JC's, and they have a good relationship with a JC in Mississippi. Some of the JCs have gotten better in their requirements. But it's an academic risk, they're still at-risk students.

Tums
11-25-2009, 02:27 PM
So I take it they complaining that even though Troy is a Low Resource Institution it still has a multiyear APR about 30 points above ULL in Football ? Or maybe it is the fact the Troy is 4 points above the D1 FBS average.

littlebittyschool
11-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Tums, can you link some reports that show all of that? I'd love to post it up on the ncaabbs board under the thread there.

PensacolaTrojan
11-25-2009, 03:48 PM
ULL Tight Ends Coach Troy Wingerter says,
There were about 490 programs in 2008 that were affected by the APR, that received a waiver

He couldn't be talking about Troy football...

We don't fall into that category

Not with ULL's APR of 916

to help all of them bring up the APR. They don't suffer any penalties,

So I guess our APR of 945 should have an asterisk

to give you an example, Troy signed 40 guys last year. They're placing a lot of guys in JC's, and they have a good relationship with a JC in Mississippi. Some of the JCs have gotten better in their requirements. But it's an academic risk, they're still at-risk students.
Again, he sounds as if he is saying the, because we are a "special" school, we can take academic at risk students where "superior" or "selective admission schools" without the special treatment that Troy and other HBCU get, such as ULL, must adhere to a higher standard.

I guess we should feel fortunate that our players know how to tie their shoe laces and don't trip coming out of the tunnel.
I suppose that also means we have to take the short bus to away games.

Is this institutional arrogance to an extreme scale or what?

According to US News and World Report, ULL is a Tier 4 school and Troy is a Tier 3 school, they describe the difference as

Tier 4 schools are the bottom 25 percent of schools in that category in terms of their rankings. In other words, in that particular group of schools the Tier 4 schools are the lowest ranked.

Clearly they should be known as the Harvard of the South. With an acceptance rate of 68%, how do they get any students, oh, wait that's higher than Troy's acceptance rate....

He goes on to say
Some people ask why we don't loosen our standards. We couldn't. I could not get into UL today.
No kidding, with his razor sharp mind, he couldn't get into ULL?

Our mission is heading in a different direction, which is great. We're here to find character guys, guys who will graduate, players who will be good alumni.
As opposed to those men at schools like Troy

About 3/4 of our guys right now have to be admitted by exception, but 1/4 of them meet the regular admissions criteria

Only a 75% exception rate, they must be so proud.

In answering the question
Is the conference going to do anything to level that? He goes on to explain,
Would you? Troy's been doing well this year. If Troy's bringing us attention, the prevailing wisdom is, 'Let's get it.' The conference will be able to put more teams in bowls because of Troy. The Sun Belt is getting more exposure, more money.

There is the explanation as to why intellectually inferior Troy, without the type of men of character that ULL is recruiting, with men like DeMarcus Ware, Levi Brown, Bear Woods, etc., gets to play on the same field as ULL,...

it's all about the money.

I guess we are just one loss away from getting kicked out of the conference.

Mike Cunningham
11-25-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention from the board. I'm changing the name of the TITLE to better describe this thread.

Doug4Troy
11-25-2009, 11:47 PM
"Interesting" comments on a Ragin Cajun board about the article: http://www.raginpagin.com/hotpage/showthread.php3?t=24809

Of course, it is quite difficult for me to comprehend their discussion since I am just a Troy grad. LOL

Doug4Troy
11-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Quote: "Now it emerges that the 'elite' of the conference, Troy, one of the smaller schools in the 'Belt, is open admissions. The Trojans (and ULM and ASU) also don't have to worry about the APR, so they can take a lot of players that no good university can."

Some of their fans do not think much of our team or school, do they?

Day mus be a hole mess of gud lernin goin on in dat dar skuul. LOL

PensacolaTrojan
11-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Let's compare APR scores and penalties

Teams Subject to Penalties 2008-09 By Institution
Last Updated July 30, 2009.

University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Football APR 916

Sport Immediate Penalty
Scholarship Reduction
Men's Track,
Outdoor 0.35
Men's Golf 0.45
Football 1.0

Troy
Football APR 945

no penalties

Doug4Troy
11-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Links to APR info:

Troy: http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2008/716_2008_apr.pdf

ULL: http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2008/671_2008_apr.pdf

Doug4Troy
11-26-2009, 01:13 AM
More APR links:

MTSU: http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2008/419_2008_apr.pdf

ULM: http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2008/498_2008_apr.pdf
(Looks like they have an exception for football APR)

ASU: http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2008/30_2008_apr.pdf

WKU: http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2008/772_2008_apr.pdf

FAU: http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2008/229_2008_apr.pdf

FIU: http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2008/231_2008_apr.pdf

Doug4Troy
11-26-2009, 01:30 AM
I could not find a listing of the "Low Resource Institutions" to see if Troy was on it, but judging by the APR info from the NCAA, Troy would not need the exemption anyway. Looks like 925 and 900 are thresholds that the NCAA has set and we are above them both. Am I missing something?

littlebittyschool
11-26-2009, 07:49 AM
I think what they are trying to say is because us, ULM, and Arky State don't have to worry about APR, we can roll the dice on kids who may not qualify. However, our APR is well beyond the standards set by the NCAA. So to me, we are going above and beyond what we "have" to do and even excelling at it. We maybe "taking chances" on kids, but apparantly we're taking kids who are making the best of the chance we have taken on them and they/we are getting it done in the classroom once they get here.

They're trying to say our "special status" lets us take kids that they "just can't take a risk on". The fact of the matter is not that we don't have to worry about APR because of our "special status". We don't have to worry about it because once they get here, they get it done in the class room.

Oh, and here's the real deal on the entire situation: The recruits we have never wanted to go to their school(s) in the first place. They either didn't do their homework or the kids chose Troy. There's no way you can convince me that they wouldn't have bent every "standard" and took every "chance" they could to have some of our players they are holding their nose up at now.

It's easy to say, "Oh, I'd never date Megan Fox, she's just not my type." If you don't have a chance with her in the first place.

Mike Cunningham
11-26-2009, 10:27 AM
It's easy to say, "Oh, I'd never date Megan Fox, she's just not my type." If you don't have a chance with her in the first place.

That about sums it up for la-la, doesn't it?

PensacolaTrojan
11-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Quote from the Rajun Cajun board...
Just1More
University of Louisiana
Ragin' Cajuns #1 Fan

we have got to stop basking in athletic mediocrity as if it's something to be proud of...

I hope they get the bask a little longer.

jagd1305
11-26-2009, 11:53 AM
I love where one of their posters questions TROY's ties to the military and if we made sacrifices to obtain our military base educational facilities. Back in the 60's and 70's when no universities (like ULALA, for example) gave a fat rats rear about the military the Adams administration sought out permission to establish these facilities so military personnel could continue to serve and advance their education for the benefit of our nation. One of those individuals was General Honore who later took over establishing order in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina. Many high ranking members of the military and NASA are alumni of this program. Low hanging fruit?...I think not.
ULALA suffers from vision void. They choose to wallow in mediocrity and cry foul when everyone passes them by. To make themselves feel better about it, they invent non-existing scenarios to feel warm and fuzzy about their lack of success. Let it be said that by reading their thread about all of this the LALAlites don't let something like a little research get in their way. They know nothing not because they have learned nothing, but because they have achieved nothing.