PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Job and Stockstill

BirminghamTrojan
11-18-2009, 01:19 PM
MTSU's Stockstill to speak with Memphis

November, 17, 2009 Nov 1712:53PM ETComment Email Share By Graham Watson

Memphis has asked for and receiver permission to talk to Middle Tennessee coach Rick Stockstill, the coach said in a statement released by Middle Tennessee.

Stockstill, who is in his fourth season with the Blue Raiders, is one of several candidates for the coaching position that came open last week when Tommy West was fired. West agreed to coach through the end of the season.

According to the Memphis Commercial Appeal, other candidates include LSU assistant head coach and former Memphis running back Larry Porter, Oklahoma State co-offensive coordinator Gunter Brewer and Virginia Tech defensive coordinator Bud Foster.

Middle Tennessee is 7-3 and chasing down Troy for the Sun Belt title. The Blue Raiders are likely headed to a bowl game. If they defeat Arkansas State this weekend, they’ll notch their first eight-win season since 2001.

“Memphis has called and asked for permission to speak with me,” Stockstill said in the statement. “Permission was granted, but I have not interviewed with them. Usually when things like this happen you are playing well and have a good football team.

“I am flattered they have an interest in me, but the only thing I am focused on is the team and finishing the season.”

Stockstill was actually a former assistant at Clemson under West.

The Blue Raiders defeated Memphis 31-14 earlier this year and Stockstill is 24-23 overall.

newnan trojan
11-18-2009, 01:20 PM
A lot of middle fans are pissed....They are wondering why they arnt after our coach since we have a much better SBC record than they do.

BirminghamTrojan
11-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Hopefully it is because LB has already made his feelings known about moving elsewhere...

More likely due to Stockstill's knowledge of recruiting and coaches in that area.

3fingerdiscount
11-18-2009, 03:27 PM
http://www.dnj.com/article/20091118/BLUERAIDERS01/91118017/MTSU-s-Stockstill-withdraws-from-Memphis-search

He staying at MTSU

1motime
11-19-2009, 09:59 AM
In other words, he saw he was not going to get the job so he withdrew.

"Stockstill has a total earnings package of $281,655 per year at MTSU. West was paid $925,000 by Memphis this year, and the next Memphis coach is expected to earn more than $1 million annually."

NWFLTrojan
11-19-2009, 10:03 AM
From how West expressed his displeasure with the University and facilities at his exit press conference, I would assume that Stockstill called his old boss and West advised him, in no uncertain terms, not to take the job.