PDA

View Full Version : How cool would this be...

Possum
11-18-2009, 01:48 AM
Dan Parker running the wishbone next year...

We'd definitely be unique... Nobody runs the bone anymore.

troyw
11-18-2009, 08:21 AM

We've recruited to the spread for four years...drastically changing the offense would lead to a dismal season next year.

Possum
11-18-2009, 09:00 AM
I'm not saying run out of it the whole time, just on short yardage situations.

TFan
11-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Ga Tech has been using a rushing-based "Spread Option" offense since Paul Brown took over last season; and quite successfully. Lately, their QB Josh Nesbitt, not known for his passing ability has been connecting on passes a greater % of the offensive plays.

They are going to the ACC E/W Playoff in Tampa on Dec 5th and stand to appear in the BCS Orange Bowl if they win out.

Rufus the Magnum Trojan
11-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Based on our catastrophic effort to run the option with JJ last weekend I doubt we'll see it again anytime soon.

Navarre Trojan
11-18-2009, 11:23 AM
Ga Tech has been using a rushing-based "Spread Option" offense since Paul Brown took over last season; and quite successfully. Lately, their QB Josh Nesbitt, not known for his passing ability has been connecting on passes a greater % of the offensive plays.

They are going to the ACC E/W Playoff in Tampa on Dec 5th and stand to appear in the BCS Orange Bowl if they win out.

how it is now called the "Spred Option". When I was growing up (in Oklahoma) they called it the "Triple Option" and a guy in Houston, Texas invented it!! The Veer became the Wishbone, then it was the "Broken Bone" and now the "Spread Option".

The reason Paul Johnson (and others at similar institutions) runs this style of offense is that while at the military institutions the athletes aren't nearly the size of those at other D-1 schools and he had to rely on quickness and technique to win football games. Difisher (sp) Berry at Air Force made a killing doing it as did Johnson while at Navy.

When he got to Ga. Tech, he didn't see any reason to change and he has been so successful. Some of those same restraints are still present at Ga. Tech, but not because of fitness regulations as much as the institutional entrance requirements. I, for one, hope he wins the ACC and represents at the Orange Bowl. Nice to see the "little guy" win one.

TroyTuba
11-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Also read where Paul Brown ran it at Georgia Southern as well

Lord-Mustang
11-18-2009, 11:56 PM

Air Force runs the wishbone this year with Chance Harridge

tenaciousT
11-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Based on our catastrophic effort to run the option with JJ last weekend I doubt we'll see it again anytime soon.

JJ ran it perfectly the week before... thats why we ran it last weekend. It is a nice wrinkle to our offense. I expect to see it again this weekend.

If Dan is our QB next year I wouldnt mind seeing some veers added into the playbook, that is, if he is able to read the D well enough to run it!

Hemi Man
11-19-2009, 07:22 AM
JJ ran it perfectly the week before... thats why we ran it last weekend. It is a nice wrinkle to our offense. I expect to see it again this weekend.

If Dan is our QB next year I wouldnt mind seeing some veers added into the playbook, that is, if he is able to read the D well enough to run it!

Jerrell took the blame, saying that he tried to fake the pitch and the defender didn't bite. He said he should have just kept the ball.