PDA

View Full Version : Halloween's Thriller

thealabamaredhead
11-01-2009, 09:04 AM
It's on youtube if anyone missed it. :thumb:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aso3JPLSTmU

Trojan_euph07
11-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Thank you for posting. i was just to the left of the 45 (director viewpoint)

Trojan by Birth
11-04-2009, 05:49 PM
This is how a marching band should perform Thriller.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EJlpWmihPk
I understand you had a billion kids on the field and couldn't move, but this band puts effort into choreographing a performance and in my opinion is worth of watching.

moosicman
11-04-2009, 06:46 PM
*yawns*

TroyTrojanNYC
11-04-2009, 08:22 PM
http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu95/dplboc/Junk/2185110152_a40e834b31.jpg

TroyBandDad
11-04-2009, 09:27 PM
This is how a marching band should perform Thriller.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EJlpWmihPk
I understand you had a billion kids on the field and couldn't move, but this band puts effort into choreographing a performance and in my opinion is worth of watching.

Wow, you have to be joking right? I couldn't even tell what they were playing. I figured THE Ohio State University would actually have a good band.

moosicman
11-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Wow, you have to be joking right? I couldn't even tell what they were playing. I figured THE Ohio State University would actually have a good band.

Hey, TroyBandDad--THAT'S AWESOME!! Fort Smith Ark. and Two Egg, Fl. I am from Donalsonville, GA just north of Two Egg. I just thought those two towns paired together was pretty funny!

Yeah, that show from Ohio State was pretty lame. It of course is just my opinion, but to me ANY marching band that is dancing around looks stupid, and I'm a band geek. It's because of the uniforms. It's like adults at a fancy cocktail party dressed up in tuxes and evening gowns doing the Hokey Poky. It just l-o-o-k-s stupid. So that is points in the negative category. Mix in that the arrangement sucked (which I grant the O.P. and most other non-musicians may not have a knack for critiquing) and you really start adding up the NOT GOOD totals.

But I think it is funny that he thought this was good and entertaining. It just goes to show (as I said in my other post) that he is wholly within the right to have an opinion, but thankfully its him and about 3 other people who share that view. Everybody is not gonna like everything, that is for sure. But the SOTS's reputation precedes itself. When there is a band as dearly loved and admired as the SOTS is and it is obvious that they are overwhelmingly desirable by the public at large, then opinions like this take on such a laughable absurdity that it almost isn't worth acknowledgment. Almost....

TroyBandDad
11-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey, how are things in Donalsonville? I know Seminole County very well. And you know what they say about Two Egg? Its the Capital of the New South!

I know everyone has different tastes, but seriously, I would have to laugh at our own band if they did a show like that!

TroyTrojanNYC
11-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Fortunately, they never will.

JPSousa1898
11-04-2009, 11:12 PM
fortunately, they never will.

+1

goe1975
11-05-2009, 04:14 PM

Really? Yet you could actually tell what tune that distorted "racket" was at band night? Sounded like every horn and tuba player who ever marched for ASU showed up that night. No offense. JMO. I'm old and my 30 years of getting paid to play music have made my ears a little sensitive to "noise".

goe1975
11-05-2009, 04:20 PM
When there is a band as dearly loved and admired as the SOTS is and it is obvious that they are overwhelmingly desirable by the public at large, then opinions like this take on such a laughable absurdity that it almost isn't worth acknowledgment. Almost....

Wow. We really like ourselves, don't we? You remind me of an Alabama football fan. Well except for the fact that they actually have won something.

goe1975
11-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Now don't get me wrong, I have always liked the SOTS. I LOVED Children of Sanchez and everything Robert Smith did. But you members and alumn need to put your egos in check. It really is extremely annoying when you go on about how great you are. For crying out loud, be humble!

TroyTrojanNYC
11-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Wow. We really like ourselves, don't we? You remind me of an Alabama football fan. Well except for the fact that they actually have won something.

As someone who sports a DCI corp logo - I'm surprised you don't realize that the SOTS doesn't COMPETE for awards or to "win" something. If anything, they perform in EXHIBITION at competitions for hundreds of high school band members, EXHIBITING how it is to be done on the field. What the Sound DOES win is the hearts and minds of thousands and thousands of spectators who see them perform, and THAT is way more desirable than winning any competition.

Yes, the members of the SOTS generally feel special and loved, but are not arrogant about it; that feeling has come from years and years of performance excellence and well-deserved accolades.

The comparison to an Alabama football fan is -- well -- just moronic.

goe1975
11-05-2009, 04:35 PM
The comparison to an Alabama football fan is -- well -- just moronic.

No it isn't. Alabama fans are arrogant and go on and on about how great they are. That is why people hate them. Be humble and stop blowing your own horns (pun intended) so much. Just play and shut up and let the people in the stands who are unbiased (those who are not alumn or have kids in the band) decide how great you are.

TroyTrojanNYC
11-05-2009, 04:42 PM
This board has a specific area for JUST WHAT YOU ARE TELLING THE SOTS MEMBERS NOT TO DO -- if they wanna come in here and "toot their own horns" - WHY do you care?

Nobody says anything when posters talk about how great the team is - and IF the players were by any chance to be posting on this board - it would be JUST FINE for them to pat themselves on the back. People do not hate Alabama fans because they talk about how great they are - people hate Alabama fans because that's ALL they talk about - and about how everyone ELSE is inferior to them - and because of their sense of "entitlement". I don't see that from the SOTS members posting on here.

goe1975
11-05-2009, 04:50 PM
This board has a specific area for JUST WHAT YOU ARE TELLING THE SOTS MEMBERS NOT TO DO -- if they wanna come in here and "toot their own horns" - WHY do you care?

Nobody says anything when posters talk about how great the team is - and IF the players were by any chance to be posting on this board - it would be JUST FINE for them to pat themselves on the back. People do not hate Alabama fans because they talk about how great they are - people hate Alabama fans because that's ALL they talk about - and about how everyone ELSE is inferior to them - and because of their sense of "entitlement". I don't see that from the SOTS members posting on here.

Hey, you see it from your side of the fence and I see it from mine. I am just telling you what I have heard and seen for the last 25 years. All of the bragging and egos gets on a lot of people's nerves. But hey, you're right, you guys can think and say whatever you want. Have at it and carry on.

TroyTrojanNYC
11-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Try spending a day around the members of Jax State's band - then you'll change your tune.

goe1975
11-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Try spending a day around the members of Jax State's band - then you'll change your tune.

I know how they are. But in their defense, they actually have direct ties to a corps that actually participates in DCI competitions. Hey we could on about this all night. My point is, be humble and let the music do the talking. If you can't, well, then oh well...just don't expect everybody to love you if you go on and on about how great you are when you are in a band that has never had to prove it on the field of competition.

moosicman
11-05-2009, 05:20 PM

LOL...Look Goe1975, all of my comments have been submitted in response to someone else's negative remarks about the SOTS. Had I said what I said just to say it, then perhaps you could say I was being arrogant or that it was spoken without humility. But the reason I wrote what I wrote was to refute another's poorly held opinion. It's pretty clear that 99.8% of the fans love and appreciate the SOTS, which is my factual evidence in supporting my claim that the O.P.'s opinion was the exception. I'm not interested in getting into crap beyond that with you. I love marching bands, have been in some, and arrange music for a publishing company that puts out band music. But if I were going to be less than humble and wanted to "toot my own horn" it wouldn't be in the marching band arena, as I actually only spent two fall seasons marching with the SOTS and was a mediocre player on my good days. No I would instead drop names of those I worked with professionally in the music business. Amy Grant, Michael McDonald, David Pack, Donny Osmond, Gary Chapman, Plumb, Audio Adrenaline, and the list goes on. I could speak to the number of albums I've worked on and the hit songs that you've probably listened to or maybe even played on the marching field. But that is only if I was going to NOT toot my own horn. Get a perspective and don't take my posts here in response to the O.P. out of its context.

TroyTrojanNYC
11-05-2009, 05:25 PM
You're right - we COULD go on and on all night - and I appreciate your willingness to acknowledge my point of view (and I do yours, as well). HOWEVER, I know of no "university/college" level competition where proving it "on the field of competition" is available either to the Southerners OR the SOTS. While JSU chose to align themselves with DCI, it is, after all, a separate group entirely that competes in DCI. And you and I both know - it's ONE show performed repetitively - and with hours upon hours upon hours of practice time allotted as they strive for perfection. Can't happen in a university music program. So while I appreciate your thought on that matter, JSU hasn't proven anything on the field of competition either -- Spirit, however, has proven they can't make the top 12 any more.

skeletor
11-05-2009, 05:53 PM
I've only seen one JSU band halftime show, 2001, and i wasn't impressed with it, they sounded good, I liked their marching style, but the show was just boring, and I'm not easily bored by bands. Even more so however I wasn't impressed with the lack of class I saw on the part of the JSU band. however i imagine that was a few isolated incedents that day, so I probably shouldn't hold it against them, every group has a few idiots.

goe1975
11-05-2009, 07:51 PM
No I would instead drop names of those I worked with professionally in the music business. Amy Grant, Michael McDonald, David Pack, Donny Osmond, Gary Chapman, Plumb, Audio Adrenaline, and the list goes on. I could speak to the number of albums I've worked on and the hit songs that you've probably listened to or maybe even played on the marching field. But that is only if I was going to NOT toot my own horn. .

So humble of you to not "drop names"...congratulations on all your "success"...however, I am amazed that someone so succesful would spend their valuable time on a TU sports website...I'm sorry, what was your name again?

goe1975
11-05-2009, 07:54 PM
-- Spirit, however, has proven they can't make the top 12 any more.

True that...but they do put it out there and actually compete. And I do admire them for that.

goe1975
11-05-2009, 08:11 PM
No I would instead drop names of those I worked with professionally in the music business. Amy Grant, Michael McDonald, David Pack, Donny Osmond, Gary Chapman, Plumb, Audio Adrenaline, and the list goes on. I could speak to the number of albums I've worked on and the hit songs that you've probably listened to or maybe even played on the marching field.

I'm all ears.

TroyTuba
11-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Dude, what is your problem? If you don't want to read about them "tooting" their own horns, get off of the SOTS section of this forum, it's that easy....there is no need to come in here and act hostile.

TroyPremier
11-05-2009, 09:48 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wvoLtwni0kc/R13FdLyfTkI/AAAAAAAAMiI/J1b2lXLkRq0/s400/nerd-fight_thumb.jpg

moosicman
11-05-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm all ears.

My name is Brad Burke. Your like a kid on the playground with your taunts, thinking I've got something to hide. LOL Just know you aren't under my skin, I don't consider you an enemy, and I'm not all bent out of shape and getting all :scared: about these little postings here. At the same time I don't need your validation to make me feel all warm and fuzzy. I've only said what I've said so far (in dropping names) to say that if I wanted to I could, and I actually kinda regret it due to the fact that I don't want to have appeared to have stooped to some immature, adolescent level here with you. Thus, this will be the end of the public display here. I've said my piece about WHY we responded to the O.P. the way we did. You can receive that or not or say whatever else you will, I really don't care. This ends my part of the childish bickering that I wish I wouldn't have entered into and probably wouldn't have if I hadn't read your post and been rushing out of the door and posted in haste, rather than taking a second and thinking it through a bit more. Move along please....

TroyBandDad
11-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Really? Yet you could actually tell what tune that distorted "racket" was at band night? Sounded like every horn and tuba player who ever marched for ASU showed up that night. No offense. JMO. I'm old and my 30 years of getting paid to play music have made my ears a little sensitive to "noise".

Apparently not, if you thought that OSU performance was good. So, basically making fun of SOTS is not good enough for you? You also feel the need to rip on over 2,000 high school kids who are potential music students for Troy? Does that somehow make you feel better?

As for getting "paid to play," so do street corner musicians and Bama football players. As for whether it damaged your ears, I'll take your word for it. That would, however, explain some of your comments.

goe1975
11-05-2009, 10:45 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wvoLtwni0kc/R13FdLyfTkI/AAAAAAAAMiI/J1b2lXLkRq0/s400/nerd-fight_thumb.jpg

LOL! Yeah you pretty much nailed it.

goe1975
11-05-2009, 10:51 PM
My name is Brad Burke.

Dude, I googled your name and so far I can finding nothing regarding hit songs you played on. Little help?

Lowbacca
11-05-2009, 10:52 PM
...ummmm...can't we just get along and enjoy the show? Bickering like this gets us nowhere in a hurry.

I'm a current member. I show up and play. I do it for fun and enjoyment (and being at every Troy game this year!), not to be better than anyone else. Leave the competition in high school.

goe1975
11-05-2009, 11:20 PM
So, basically making fun of SOTS is not good enough for you? You also feel the need to rip on over 2,000 high school kids who are potential music students for Troy? Does that somehow make you feel better?

That's right...take it to the lowest level you can take it there, Pops. "GOE you are such a hoser that you would go so far as to pick on little kids." Nice.

Hey, I simply call it like I see it. Racket is racket no matter what form it comes in. Loud does not equal good. And AGAIN, this is simply JMO.

Troybaseball8652
11-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Here is the best Thriller I have seen by a marching band this season. The Marching Chiefs of Florida State put on a pretty good show I thought. I am sure the Sound's could have been better if they would have done it without the high school bands. I would actually like to see and hear the Sound play that tune without the high school bands on the field...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zj5LggO-CQ

Spiritual_Trojan
11-07-2009, 01:15 PM
[QUOTE=Troybaseball8652;134493] I am sure the Sound's could have been better if they would have done it without the high school bands. I would actually like to see and hear the Sound play that tune without the high school bands on the field...
QUOTE]

:scared: somebody understands!!! When you have a couple thousand people performing a song who have only rehearsed together for and hour and a half when there was no audition process, just simply come and play it's not gonna sound too pretty. We are one of the few if not the only University that does our band day the way we do and it works, over all the SOTS members this year have had been to a Troy band day when the were in hs.

As for the SOTS not proving it in competitions, were not a drum corp. I cant think of any corps style college marching bands that do. I have a very negative attitude toward DCI simply because 98% of the people who march in them think they are the best ever if you didnt march DCI your not worthy to hold and instrument and you suck.(obviously exaggerating) Yes DCI shows are impressive, however any band that did the same show for four or so months practicing 6-7 days a week all day long every day would be impressive as well. To be fair I have meet several people who march corp that are awesome level headed people who can make the distinction between marching band and DCI. They all, oddly enough, have been drummers, one was even a bass tech for one this past year.

With all that being said I do respected DCI for what they are. However you cant compare DCI to college marching bands and expect a fair representation. I personally like college bands better because it's people doing it in their spare time and still put on amazing shows.

All of its is of course IMHO

moosicman
11-07-2009, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=Troybaseball8652;134493] I am sure the Sound's could have been better if they would have done it without the high school bands. I would actually like to see and hear the Sound play that tune without the high school bands on the field...
QUOTE]

:scared: somebody understands!!! When you have a couple thousand people performing a song who have only rehearsed together for and hour and a half when there was no audition process, just simply come and play it's not gonna sound too pretty. We are one of the few if not the only University that does our band day the way we do and it works, over all the SOTS members this year have had been to a Troy band day when the were in hs.

As for the SOTS not proving it in competitions, were not a drum corp. I cant think of any corps style college marching bands that do. I have a very negative attitude toward DCI simply because 98% of the people who march in them think they are the best ever if you didnt march DCI your not worthy to hold and instrument and you suck.(obviously exaggerating) Yes DCI shows are impressive, however any band that did the same show for four or so months practicing 6-7 days a week all day long every day would be impressive as well. To be fair I have meet several people who march corp that are awesome level headed people who can make the distinction between marching band and DCI. They all, oddly enough, have been drummers, one was even a bass tech for one this past year.

With all that being said I do respected DCI for what they are. However you cant compare DCI to college marching bands and expect a fair representation. I personally like college bands better because it's people doing it in their spare time and still put on amazing shows.

All of its is of course IMHO

+1

TroyTrojanNYC
11-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Guys - please do NOT get into a DCI vs. Marching Band discussion - it can get really really nasty and neither side EVER gives in to the other's opinion. That discussion is NOT worthy of this board and particularly not worthy of being held in the "SOTS" portion of the board.

MusicMan
11-07-2009, 02:32 PM
I agree with the Band Day thing. 1000 people on a field+1 1/2 hours performence+The majority of high schools think LOUD IS GOOD=Overall good performance for all involved, but if it's noise to some jerk who think his s*** don't stink then that's his opinion.

JPSousa1898
11-08-2009, 10:48 PM
*rant on*
They're high school band kids from MULTIPLE bands lead by DIFFERENT directors with DIFFERENT interpretations of the music as well. GIVE THEM A BREAK!
*rant off*