PDA

View Full Version : Mass band to perform with Sound of the South at Band Day

Mike Cunningham
10-28-2009, 05:32 PM
October 28, 2009 Contact: Andy Ellis or Clif Lusk
For Immediate Release 334-670-3196

Mass band to perform with Sound of the South at Band Day

TROY – More than 2,100 high school band members representing 38 bands from three states will perform with the 350-piece plus Sound of the South marching band during halftime Saturday when the Trojans take on the University of Louisiana-Monroe in Movie Gallery Veterans Stadium.

The game is scheduled to start at 6 p.m. For tickets call 1-877-878-9467.

Ralph Ford, Troy University director of bands, said the annual event, which began in 1998, provides high school band students with a taste of performing at the collegiate level.

“This provides the opportunity for high school bands, regardless of their size and level of experience, to visit campus and to get a feel for collegiate athletics while performing with the Sound of the South marching band in a true Division I collegiate halftime program,” Ford said. “They get to experience the collegiate rehearsal and they have the opportunity to perform before what I believe is the best collegiate band crowd around. We also take this opportunity to talk with the students about the scholarship opportunities available through the University. It certainly helps to create an air of familiarity and a mindset that they can be successful at Troy University.”

Participants will arrive on campus at 9:30 a.m. and take part in a rehearsal at 10 a.m. The bands will line up beginning at 3:20 p.m. for the Trojan Victory Parade up University Avenue and take part in the football team’s Trojan Walk, which will begin at 3:45 p.m.

Bands scheduled to perform are:
<LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Abbeville High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Alma Bryant High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Americus Sumter High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Branford High School (Fla.) <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Brantley High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Butler County Magnet School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Charles Henderson High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Chelsea Middle School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Choctaw County High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Cottonwood High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Douglas High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Elba High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Escambia County High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Excel High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Florala High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Geneva High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Goshen High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Headland High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Horseshoe Bend High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Lincoln High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Luverne High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Miller County High School (Ga.) <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Seminole County Middle/ High School (Ga.) <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Monroe Academy <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>New Brockton High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Opp High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Oxford High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Samson High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Schley County High School (Ga.) <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Slocumb High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>South Walton High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Straughn High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Susan Moore High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>T.R. Miller High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>South Walton High School (Fla.) <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Susan Moore High School <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Telfair County High School (Ga.) <LI style="mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoNormal>Thomasville High School
Zion Chapel High School.

###

troyfan
10-30-2009, 09:27 AM
Just somethign I thought about at the North Texas Game. Since we are trying to encourage people to wear cardinal to the games, we should give each band memeber than comes to the game a cardinal "Band Day" t-shirt. Everyone will then match on the field and in the stands.

RDA Trojan
10-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Just somethign I thought about at the North Texas Game. Since we are trying to encourage people to wear cardinal to the games, we should give each band memeber than comes to the game a cardinal "Band Day" t-shirt. Everyone will then match on the field and in the stands.

Great idea, but don't most of the bands come in their uniforms, or at least in their school colors? My wife's cousin is bringing his band this year. I can't remember if they came last year or not, but I think they did.

I guess they could all slip a t-shirt on over their uni's though.

JonesOxygen
10-30-2009, 10:31 AM
And this week, I have heard we are supposed to wear pink for breast cancer awareness, wear cardinal for Troy and dress up for Halloween. Plus the wide range of poncho colors.
So we should have a nice beach ball colored look this week!

Trojan by Birth
11-01-2009, 10:35 AM
I thought that TSOTS was now going to try to entertain at halftime? This is entertaining? I think I'd prefer the dog catching the frisbee over this one.

FliryVorru
11-01-2009, 12:48 PM
I think I'd prefer the dog catching the frisbee over this one.

Next game I come to I'll bring a frisbee.

I'll throw it and you can chase it.

wrden
11-01-2009, 04:06 PM
+1

Spiritual_Trojan
11-01-2009, 05:56 PM
I thought that TSOTS was now going to try to entertain at halftime? This is entertaining? I think I'd prefer the dog catching the frisbee over this one.

OMG I thought all those people who stood up were clapping and cheering because they really enjoyed the show. Instead they were booing and waving at us to leave the field..... how could i have miss understood it :(

moosicman
11-01-2009, 09:21 PM
OMG, not this again.....Dude, you saved face the last time and showed some moxie in relenting. Let's not head that way again!! It is very unbecoming.

RDA Trojan
11-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Here's a pic of the SOTS with the HS bands.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e386/rdallen_18/sots.jpg?t=1257264183