PDA

View Full Version : Encouraged by the Band!

RDA Trojan
10-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Didn't want to clutter up that other thread. Ha!

I just gotta say that the SOTS is a big part of Trojan Football. I always try to make it to my seat at least a half hour before kickoff so I can hear the pregame show. And what would a TD celebration be without the SOTS playing Trojans One and All! while the rest of us stand up, clap and sing along, and cheer. And I always watch the halftime show. I told BTH the other day that I had 4 or 5 family members come sit with us at halftime of the MTSU game, just to watch the band from our seats. One of them is an alumni who played in the band, is a HS band director, is planning on marching with the alumni SOTS, and is bringing his band to Band Day the following week. It is some of these kids in the local HS bands who will see how great the SOTS is, and some of them will end up attending Troy just to be a part of it.

So while some may not like it, just suck it up. There are things I don't like about the stadium experience in Troy. The SOTS is definitely not one of those. And while y'all are complaining about bad things being yelled, if you don't like it, yell louder. I know, what a concept! Cheer on your team! Everyone should quit sitting on their hands and complaining about the band and cheer. I've heard much worse things that what some were being accused of yelling. I've had people tell me to calm down and watch my language at a game before. Y'all just need to understand we're all not lily-white, and sometimes things get said/yelled. You may not agree with what was being said, but get over yourselves. Get out of your little bubble.

JonesOxygen
10-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Let me clarify, the band is great, the music is great. I do not have a problem with that! People who want the band gone, must not have been at the FIU game to see what a college football game is like with no band.

I did stand for 91% of the game and did yell, but the band (a representative of the university) should not be saying the things they were saying. The fact that the worst was coming from a girl was a little disheartening. Again this is just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

nohuddle
10-22-2009, 09:42 AM
I love the band. It would be a huge loss not to have them. I wish I could hear them better from section 107 at home games.

The pep band didn't yell these things in the emotion of the moment. It's like they have a competition to see who can say the stupidest things when the stadium is absolutely quiet. Or when we commit an obvious pass interference and they say "get up off your knees ref cause that call blows!".

If someone else's band came to MGVS and they were yelling BREAK HIS LEG, we would all agree it was classless.

moosicman
10-22-2009, 10:24 AM
IMHO, Troy has one of the coolest pregames in college football and certainly in the SBC. There is nothing finer than hearing that opening Trojan theme with the SOTS at the rim of Movie Gallery Stadium, and then echoed from on the field as they march out to fill it end zone to end zone. And then during the next song spelling out Troy. It gives me chills just thinking about it. I LOVE it. To call that boring is, well, disingenuous.

This is for giggles!!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1tSv-lkA0w

fiesty_red
10-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Last night I watched the documentary about the Baltimore Colts Band with my husband. During a commercial, he looked at me and said, "God forbid something happened to football at Troy, but the Sound would be just like that." I laughed at first, but then thought about it and had to agree. SOTS is an integral part of the Troy experience, and has a life of its own. I know this because I (and most everyone else I know) still get chills when I hear the Fanfare.

TroyTuba
10-22-2009, 12:19 PM
...... but the band (a representative of the university) should not be saying the things they were saying. The fact that the worst was coming from a girl was a little disheartening. Again this is just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

Ok, we all get that - take it to Ralph Ford and Mark Walker as has been suggested numerous times here, they are the ones who can fix your beef. My question now is: are you wanting the marching band to be eliminated from the university over this or something?

I do not excuse the actions of the band member as embarassing to the university, but let's haul all our grief out there on embarassments at football games then. I am more embarrased by people wearing Alabama and Auburn attire to our games and watching Auburn and Alabama games in our club section of the pressbox then people dropping an "F" bomb. Both are embarassing to me - period.

RDA Trojan
10-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Let me clarify, the band is great, the music is great. I do not have a problem with that! People who want the band gone, must not have been at the FIU game to see what a college football game is like with no band.

I did stand for 91% of the game and did yell, but the band (a representative of the university) should not be saying the things they were saying. The fact that the worst was coming from a girl was a little disheartening. Again this is just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

Bad Apples. Happens everywhere.

I'm guilty of this as well. Had a lady at a game of another university in the state turn around and ask me to watch my language. What's funny is no more than 15 minutes later we were high-fiving each other after a big score. Either air it out through the proper channels, or perhaps walk over to the ones doing this, and casually mention that you can clearly hear what is being said, and so can the children around you. I would tend to think most of the band members are good kids, just a little rowdy at times, like most college students. I'm sure worse things have been said by fraternity guys, older alumni, etc.

TroyTuba
10-22-2009, 03:10 PM
I agree, if you want it taken care of, go through the channels....nothing will get done by complaining about it here - otherwise maybe people wouldn't still be wearing UA and AU junk at or games. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, hahahaha

FliryVorru
10-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Hey Jimmy, since it's homecoming should I wear the throwback Demarcus Ware #94 Troy State jersey or go progressive and sport the (Killer) Boris Lee #2?

TroyTuba
10-22-2009, 06:28 PM
I've got the Betterson #9, Omar #17, and Lee #2 to choose from......I've worn the #2 the last couple of home games so I'm sticking with my Borris jersey on this one - wear yours too!!! Rock the D-Ware throwback on the trip up.

FliryVorru
10-22-2009, 10:59 PM
Rock the D-Ware throwback on the trip up.

Ha! The trip up starts at 4am Saturday because I have class from 5-9pm on Friday!

Gonna be a loooooong day, my friend.

JPSousa1898
10-23-2009, 12:09 AM
Ha! The trip up starts at 4am Saturday because I have class from 5-9pm on Friday!

Gonna be a loooooong day, my friend.

Ditto on the long day... not the class, thank GOD!

Back on Track... I get goosebumps every time I hear the first note of the Fanfare! I LOVE that song!

FliryVorru
10-23-2009, 08:55 AM
I get goosebumps every time I hear the first note of the Fanfare! I LOVE that song!

I hear ya man. It's gonna be awesome to hear it again!

Speaking of which, I'm bringing a friend from UF who will be wearing cardinal along with us tomorrow. It's also his first time hearing the fanfare. Muahahahaha!

TroyTuba
10-23-2009, 10:48 AM
Oh my, he doesn't know what he's in for then...... a Friday night class from 5-9pm? Holy jeez man!!!! Wear your Boris Lee jersey and let your friend rock the D-Ware one.

troy4ever21
10-23-2009, 12:28 PM
He wasn't at the Troy/UF game? haha