PDA

View Full Version : Embarrassed by the band

nohuddle
10-18-2009, 08:49 AM
The band sounded great, but I guess I've never sat close enough to hear all the obscenities and comments they scream out.

What the F*** ref!!! (about 30 times)
Break his leg!!!
And many more tasteless classics

this wasn't from one person either. I think the girls were the worst. Taking the band to an empty stadium where you can hear a pin drop may not be the best idea.

TrojanEmpire
10-18-2009, 08:55 AM
The band sounded great, but I guess I've never sat close enough to hear all the obscenities and comments they scream out.

Break his leg!!!

this wasn't from one person either. I think the girls were the worst. Taking the band to an empty stadium where you can hear a pin drop may not be the best idea.

And cue the band defenders in 3......2......1

TroyTrojans2003
10-18-2009, 09:35 AM
LOL seriously, they will come on here and get defensive, dont think that their **** doesnt stink, blah blah, same old junk excuses every year

tntrojan
10-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Empire, That was hilarious. :)

DedicatedTrojan84
10-18-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm no band defender by far, but I respect that. I said WTF ref a few times last night myself.

Trojan by Birth
10-18-2009, 10:41 AM
It is my personal opinion that marching bands should be replaced by some decent speakers and an ipod. For half time entertainment, we could have pee wee football or dancing girls. Band is really boring. Here they go... playing some lame version of some lame song. Oh wait they are moving into another position to play another lame song.
I think that all bands should be banned.

TroyTrojanNYC
10-18-2009, 11:42 AM
It is my personal opinion that marching bands should be replaced by some decent speakers and an ipod. For half time entertainment, we could have pee wee football or dancing girls. Band is really boring. Here they go... playing some lame version of some lame song. Oh wait they are moving into another position to play another lame song.

Yah you are definitely right. Marching bands are a complete waste of time and effort - especially ones like the "Sound of the South." They bring nothing to the atmosphere and generally only cause disrespect and often soil the reputation of the university. I mean, who do these people think they are? They dress up like clowns and march around a field which is designed for real MEN to play a game on, and they want applause and adoration? I mean, really --- almost ANYONE with half a brain could do what they do - and probably do it better than the Troy band anyhow. The Troy band sucks. They are a complete embarrassment and should be DIS-banded immediately.

Music is bad for you anyway.

TroyDrum89
10-18-2009, 11:57 AM

Marching Band is a part of college football and should never be replaced. Some people appreciate good music, some don't. Obviously, you're not one of them.

Back on topic... the band is really bad about screaming senseless obscenities at the players/refs/other fans. It does get embarrassing because honestly, they sometimes just yell the dumbest things that make no sense. The band usually does a good job about being respectful in the stands, but obviously it's getting a little out of hand.

TroyTrojans2003
10-18-2009, 12:05 PM
NYC I agree with you on some points there! I disagree that music isnt important though! But your right, the songs they play are boring at best, I know maybe you dont appreciate them that much, but JSU puts on an entertaining show, its fast, exciting and they move alot. I dont know if that would change your feelings! However, the SOTS of lately, the shows are boring as hell. Then you got members coming on here getting all offended cause we say something bad. Get over it people, when you get into real life, noone is gonna power your diaper (except Mr. Ho) and tell you how good of a job you did, mainly its critizied opinions!? nothing wrong with that!

trojanbrutha
10-18-2009, 12:07 PM
NYC I agree with you on some points there! I disagree that music isnt important though! But your right, the songs they play are boring at best, I know maybe you dont appreciate them that much, but JSU puts on an entertaining show, its fast, exciting and they move alot. I dont know if that would change your feelings! However, the SOTS of lately, the shows are boring as hell. Then you got members coming on here getting all offended cause we say something bad. Get over it people, when you get into real life, noone is gonna power your diaper (except Mr. Ho) and tell you how good of a job you did, mainly its critizied opinions!? nothing wrong with that!

Belive you me...nyc was being very sarcastic :rolleyes:

The Messenger
10-18-2009, 12:10 PM
You guys are hilarious to think your opinion is enough to offend anybody.

TroyDrum89
10-18-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm not a member of the band, and I'm going to defend the SOTS here...

JSU is a great corps-style band with a lot of good musicians on the field. However, they are a TERRIBLE football band. Having been to a JSU game, their band was almost an embarrassment when it came to playing in the stands or during timeouts. Their halftime show is always entertaining and sometimes, mind-blowing. The SOTS, however, is a much better band when it comes to being a football band. Their halftime shows haven't been the best as of late, but they still have an amazing sound quality and they still blow the eyebrows off the other bands. The SOTS is loud and entertaining; period. To say that the SOTS isn't important to the team would just be plain ignorance. The team LOVES the SOTS. The fans love the SOTS. I love the SOTS. And I'm just your regular TROY fan. Go TROY, and go Band!

troy4ever
10-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Blah blah blah...we go through this every year. Some people come on the board at the start of the season praising the SOTS for how great they are yada yada yada. Then about midway through the season it turns to the SOTS is the same ole...same ole...boring, blah blah blah. Someone usually throws a comparision to JSU in there and we do this whole rigamarole every year. The band people get mad because people are criticizing them for something that they work increadibly hard at and then those that criticize get mad because the band people come and defend themselves.

So let's just finish this once and for all.

If you come on criticizing the SOTS...they have every right to defend themselves. Especially considering how hard they work. Trust me, I know...I'm an alumni and current band director. You would get defensive too when someone criticized something that you invested so much time and energy into. It's human nature. It's very similar to those of you investing so much of your time and energy to Troy football and this board and then getting defensive when someone from another school comes on criticizing our program. Pot, meet kettle...you're both black!

You can't compare SOTS to JSU Marching Southerners. They are entirely two different styles of band. It's like trying to determine between an apple and an orange which is the better apple. It's all based on your personal opinion as to which style you like more. Both of the programs have their positives and negatives. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. So in other words...forget that comparison and enjoy both programs for being great programs. Two of the best in the country without a doubt and both residing in the same state. In fact, I'm sure it's always been the rivalry between the two bands that have fueled both of them to be what they are today.

Now how about steering this thread back to it's original topic which is the behavior and language of the band in the stands at the game last night. I agree, if they were using that language in the stands then it reflects poorly on the program and the university and should not be tolerated. Being a band director myself, the behavior of my program reflects directly upon me as their leader and I do not tolerate it. BUT...I guarantee you that this language exists in every college band in the country and is used at most every game. I'm not using that as justification that it's ok...just saying that people were more prone to hearing it last night because of an empty FIU stadium.

And if you don't agree with my OPINIONS...I really don't care. Flame me all you want because your opinion is no better than my own.

FliryVorru
10-18-2009, 01:09 PM

Break his leg!!!

I remember back in 2005 or 2006 we were in Lafayette for the LaLa game when the announcer started saying "That's a Louisiana FIRST DOWN!" and half of the band started saying "and they STILL suck!" immediately after that. Ralph Ford immediately quelled that and gave us a rather intense speech at the next rehearsal.

For the 99% of you guys who are nice, level-headed people: You're right, their words and actions were totally inappropriate and I'm embarrassed as an alumni that they conducted themselves in such a fashion. We, as ambassadors of the university, should hold ourselves to a higher standard of excellence. I'm sure that whoever the staff was on that trip they didn't hear it or were distracted and for some reason wasn't able to tell them to knock it off, but I also know the character and professionalism of the staff of our band. This will be addressed and taken care of by our world-class and very intelligent staff.

For the other small percentage...

they will come on here and get defensive, dont think that their **** doesnt stink, blah blah, same old junk excuses every year
...please help me understand what this means because I'm trying to figure out what you're talking about and when, exactly, this happens "every year".

newnan trojan
10-18-2009, 01:23 PM
This conversation is STUPID! If you think we should do away with the SOTS then your CRAZY and are NOT A real TROY fan. Troy has one of the BEST bands in the entire COUNTRY thats a fact...I am not a band member or even an alumni of the university hell im not even from Alabama. I just love the university and its programs including the SOTS! If we did away with the SOTS people would get all up in arms about it. I happen to love the music they play in the stands. Its better than any band in the SBC. Plus music education is one of the largest majors at TROY. Yes that would be a smart move to get rid of it! And as for yelling and cussing in the stands I dont agree with it. But hell when im at the game im doing the same thing as a regular audience member. Its just that FIU hardly has any fans and the band was heard last night!

Hemi Man
10-18-2009, 01:37 PM
I know nothing about the band, but for the band people on here please tell the girl that plays the bass drum that she rocks. Several people in the crowd were very complimentary of her style and energy.

FliryVorru
10-18-2009, 01:48 PM
This conversation is STUPID!

For the win!

What else can be said?

trojanbrutha
10-18-2009, 01:58 PM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x90/fredapeople/animated/Applause-2.gif

TroyTrojanNYC
10-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Belive you me...nyc was being very sarcastic :rolleyes:

On a lot of message boards, RED FONT denotes sarcasm!

Guess I didn't realize most folks on THIS particular board might not recognize sarcasm - whether it's by FONT color or by sheer words.

I am a SOTS alumni (from the Johnny Long era) and no, I don't think my opinion counts for any more than anyone else's. I was just having a little fun in jest in my "dis-band the band" post. And believe me, I know ALL about the JSU/SOTS rivalry from years gone by - some years it was more of a draw than the actual football game. They ARE a great marching organization - however, their program can't TOUCH Troy's when it comes to superior MUSICALITY. Troy produces amazing music educators and their influence is known throughout the Southeast. Having said that - I understand that not EVERYONE "digs the band scene" and that's cool; but just ask the people at FIU how it feels NOT to have one. You'll find a few folks (just like here) who see no need for the band - but far and away I guarantee you the majority of FIU fans would rather have one than not, and are TOTALLY embarrassed to be the only D1 program NOT to have one.

I'm done with this topic. The SOTS rocks - maybe they need reigning in a bit as far as verbal abuse goes - but go ask the TEAM whether they appreciate the Sound and whether or not they care if they are around. Then come back with your answer.

trojanbrutha
10-18-2009, 02:27 PM
That about sums it up...they're intertwined (football team & band) and this thread is dead...

TroyTrojanNYC
10-18-2009, 02:38 PM
this thread is dead...

Are you a poet and don't know it?? :wave:

JonesOxygen
10-18-2009, 02:47 PM
As this thread previously stated, there was not a problem with the band doing what the band should do. The problem I have is the girl yelling " hey ref what the f***" and the others yelling "I hope your leg is broken". Those are the problems and should have been handled by those in charge in my opinion. I did not have a child at the game but there were plenty around me. It was classless, that is all I have to say.

TrojanWarrior418
10-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Never ceases to amaze me how much people HAVE to find something to gripe about. This thread started off as "hey I heard a few people in the band saying some not-nice things in the stands at the FIU game" and it turned into 'oh we need to get rid of the SOTS".

If you don't like band then don't like it. I don't like Hockey but that doesn't mean I think we shouldn't have it or no one should play it. I really don't think some people understand what goes into band and what you have to do to do well at it. I guess some people think you pick up a horn (or drum) and just show up and that's not the case. It take years of dedication and practice to be any good at it.

The Sound of the South is just as much a part of Saturdays as the football team is. They are great people that add to the atmosphere of the game and Troy's music education department is one of the University's selling points. Hats off to all of them for what they do and how hard they work to bring us a great show each and every game.

I say just let this issue go. But if what some girls in the band said offended you so much *gasp* and your just going to poop your pants over it then email Ralph Ford and I'm sure he will address it at practice on Monday.

TrojanEmpire
10-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Never ceases to amaze me how much people HAVE to find something to gripe about. This thread started off as "hey I heard a few people in the band saying some not-nice things in the stands at the FIU game" and it turned into 'oh we need to get rid of the SOTS".

If you don't like band then don't like it. I don't like Hockey but that doesn't mean I think we shouldn't have it or no one should play it. I really don't think some people understand what goes into band and what you have to do to do well at it. I guess some people think you pick up a horn (or drum) and just show up and that's not the case. It take years of dedication and practice to be any good at it.

The Sound of the South is just as much a part of Saturdays as the football team is. They are great people that add to the atmosphere of the game and Troy's music education department is one of the University's selling points. Hats off to all of them for what they do and how hard they work to bring us a great show each and every game.

I say just let this issue go. But if what some girls in the band said offended you so much *gasp* and your just going to poop your pants over it then email Ralph Ford and I'm sure he will address it at practice on Monday.
I understand all the hard work it takes to be a good musician. I think the original intent was that people representing Troy in an official capacity need to act with some class and decorum. That includes the athletes and the BAND.

To be honest, I could do with or without SOTS, or any band for that matter at football games. I am going to watch football regardless. Since SOTS isn't going anywhere (and I am not saying they should), then they need to represent my alma mater with class. Leave the idotic behavior to the fans.

CHughes1102
10-18-2009, 03:13 PM
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w243/crazyface84/1180214108839.gif

TrojanEmpire
10-18-2009, 03:18 PM
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w243/crazyface84/1180214108839.gif
That is too funny

Trojan by Birth
10-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Marching Band is a part of college football and should never be replaced.

This statement is just blatantly false.

Trojan by Birth
10-18-2009, 05:14 PM
That about sums it up...they're intertwined (football team & band) and this thread is dead...

This statement is false. They can each exist without the other. Let's have a football game without a band one saturday and a band concert without a football team the next. You know the results.. I've never seen ESPN Gameday show up to a band contest.

DMarkey
10-18-2009, 05:15 PM
I was at the game and thought the SOTS sounded awesome!

As for some of the students yelling obscenities, ect. I did note to a fellow band member of mine who was there that I thought it was inappropriate. An old director of mine always said cheer for YOUR team and never against the other team (and i guess for our conference don't yell at our stupid refs) while in uniform.

When you are in a shirt that says your schools name plus "band" you are representing your university and it should be done in a professional manner.

To all the SOTS members: I think you all are great, just watch the language. And yes every band runs into the same problem because we all usually care a lot about our teams!

GO OWLS!

Trojan by Birth
10-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Let's explore the cost benefit of replacing The Sound of the South with an iPod.

Ipod Classic:

Cost: $249
Size and weight
Height:
4.1 inches (103.5 mm)
Width:
2.4 inches (61.8 mm)
Depth:
0.41 inch (10.5 mm)
Weight:
4.9 ounces (140 grams)1

Capacity
160GB hard drive
Holds up to 40,000 songs in 128-Kbps AAC format3
Holds up to 25,000 iPod-viewable photos4
Holds up to 200 hours of video5
Stores data via USB hard drive

Troy Sound of The South
Cost: Easily a million a year.
Height: some tall, some short
Width: standard parade width
Depth: About the sophomore level
Weight: Must be transported by several busses.

Capacity: I'll say 100 songs and be generous
Video Playback: none

Hmmm... I could buy a $249 iPod and have tons of money left over for speakers, and iTunes gift cards!!!!!!!

CHughes1102
10-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Stop kidding yourselves. The band is a HUGE part of the football atmosphere, the tailgating, the spirit, and the overall game experience. Dont believe me? Try taking a look at the big time BCS schools and how the band is such a huge part of it. We are a D1 uiversity people....start acting like it.

TrojanEmpire
10-18-2009, 05:36 PM
This statement is false. They can each exist without the other. Let's have a football game without a band one saturday and a band concert without a football team the next. You know the results.. I've never seen ESPN Gameday show up to a band contest.

Well, that was mean. Mildly funny, but mean.

TroyDrum89
10-18-2009, 05:37 PM
This statement is just blatantly false.

You can't just make a claim like this without evidence.

How is a marching band not a part of college football?

TrojanEmpire
10-18-2009, 05:39 PM
You can't just make a claim like this without evidence.

How is a marching band not a part of college football?

I think the point was college football would go on without marching band.

TroyDrum89
10-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Whatever. This is a really dumb thread now. The Band should have never been screaming profanities at the FIU game (or any other game for that matter). The SOTS is a GREAT marching band and is (and always will be) a part of TROY Football.

TroyPBr
10-18-2009, 05:45 PM

TrojanEmpire
10-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Stop kidding yourselves. The band is a HUGE part of the football atmosphere, the tailgating, the spirit, and the overall game experience. Dont believe me? Try taking a look at the big time BCS schools and how the band is such a huge part of it. We are a D1 uiversity people....start acting like it.

Quit taking this so seriously. The point is people in the band were making a$$e$ of themselves last night. I am sorry but I expect better from those representing my university. I would say the same of the athletes, coaches, etc.

The rest of this thread is just a bunch of people trying to get under othe people's skins. It has just been my experience that marching bands in general have an overinflated opinion on how they fit in to the college football experience. I could do without cheeleaders also. I would imagine most people show up on Saturday's for the tailgating and the game.

TroyTrojan
10-18-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't see what the big deal is in either case. Every football fan that has ever existed shouts obscene things at the other team. I don't like it, but that's what happens. Football turns people into morons, not just the band, EVERY person.
And if you want to disband the band, then fine. That's your opinion, although I wish you would have some decency in your statements. I will never understand why someone would waste their time badmouthing organizations that do more work than you have ever done in your life. You've obviously never been in band, so you don't understand what it means to the people that are in it. And until you do, you need to grow up and learn some respect.

TroyTrojan
10-18-2009, 06:09 PM
And just for the record, at least the band doesn't get wasted and/or vomit in the stands like 90% of other football fans. It's football. People are stupid. That's life.

TroyTrojanNYC
10-18-2009, 06:16 PM
I've never seen ESPN Gameday show up to a band contest.

Unless I'm mistaken, ESPN stands for Exclusive Sports Programming Network. I've never heard ANYONE claim marching band to be a SPORT - so why would a network named ESPN show up at a non-sporting band contest?

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu95/dplboc/Junk/fail-owned-camera-fail.jpg

TrojanEmpire
10-18-2009, 06:32 PM
I don't see what the big deal is in either case. Every football fan that has ever existed shouts obscene things at the other team. I don't like it, but that's what happens. Football turns people into morons, not just the band, EVERY person.
And if you want to disband the band, then fine. That's your opinion, although I wish you would have some decency in your statements. I will never understand why someone would waste their time badmouthing organizations that do more work than you have ever done in your life. You've obviously never been in band, so you don't understand what it means to the people that are in it. And until you do, you need to grow up and learn some respect.

I have nothing but respect for people who play any kind of musical instrument since I could not do it if my life depended on it. I have never been part of the band but I have been part of sports teams as an athlete and coach that put in as much time or more. So don't act like they work any harder than other groups oncampus. This is not a consetst, all I am in saying that some people in band, and other organizations as well, think a little too highly of themselves.

I seem to remember a few times in college that SOTS would leave at halftime to go play in some marching band festival, competition, etc. The game went on after they left and everything was fine.

Fans, as obnoxious as they may be, are not official representatives of Troy University. Comparing the band to the fans is apples to oranges. I expect better of students, and others, when they are representing Troy in an official capacity.

TrojanEmpire
10-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, ESPN stands for Exclusive Sports Programming Network. I've never heard ANYONE claim marching band to be a SPORT - so why would a network named ESPN show up at a non-sporting band contest?

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu95/dplboc/Junk/fail-owned-camera-fail.jpg

Actually the E stands for Entertainment. Poker and Nascar are not sports and they are on ESPN all the time.

Trojan by Birth
10-18-2009, 06:36 PM

If it's not a sport, keep it out of the stadium.

TrojanEmpire
10-18-2009, 06:41 PM

Now I wouldn't go that far. I am just saying games can, and have, go on without all the extra stuff.

DedicatedTrojan84
10-18-2009, 06:50 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/29/stupid_thread.gif

TroyDrum89
10-18-2009, 06:50 PM

Well damn. Can't have the fans in there anymore then. I guess we'll just have to watch the game from outside the gates and listen to our iPods for the fight song.

TrojanEmpire
10-18-2009, 06:54 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/29/stupid_thread.gif

Then post something else :rolleyes:

Whitney
10-18-2009, 06:57 PM
:mad::mad::mad:

all im going to say (because it really isn't worth replying back to some of these posts) is that I would honestly not be here without SOTS... both of my parents where in it and thats how they met...

i am a band geek even though i am not in band...i love marching band music with a passion and i have seen and heard first hand how much effort A marching band puts into each and every song. And it is considered a sport because my brother wouldn't be excused from PE in school if it wasn't.

Whitney
10-18-2009, 06:58 PM
oh AND the team may lose but the band ALWAYS wins :thumb:

BLOW SOTS!

TroyPBr
10-18-2009, 07:02 PM

TrojanEmpire
10-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Good point. Sport might be a stretch but even if it's not a sport, I know I commit a minimum of 26.5 hours a week to it (not including any sectionals or private practice time I may have to do). Sounds like a job to me, and most band members only get $150 a semester in scholarship to be in the band. Oh and that doesn't include band camp where it's about 13 days for percusionsists... 10-12 hours a day... in July.

Again, so not the point of the thread. I know how hard you guys work. The point is, when someone is serving as an official representative of Troy University, they should not act like a butthead.

TroyPBr
10-18-2009, 07:10 PM

Trojan by Birth
10-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by TroyPBr
"Good point. Sport might be a stretch but even if it's not a sport, I know I commit a minimum of 26.5 hours a week to it (not including any sectionals or private practice time I may have to do). Sounds like a job to me, and most band members only get $150 a semester in scholarship to be in the band. Oh and that doesn't include band camp where it's about 13 days for percusionsists... 10-12 hours a day... in July."

Ipods charge in about an hour.

JPSousa1898
10-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Trojan by Birth... we get it. Some band person peed in your cheerios and now you hate band people. We all get it. You can stop insulting musicians now. We music teachers work hard to teach people who either make the music or produce the music that goes on your iPod. If you are that serious about hating music, turn off ANY music you hear for a week and close your ears when you do hear it. See how you feel at the end of the week. You may not like the SOTS, but you might have an appreciation for musicians in general. Until then, I would personally appreciate it if you not degrade my profession and a major part of my life anymore. I've spent and invested a lot of time, energy, and money into my profession and don't appreciate all of the slams, and neither would my students. :mad:

SOTS... I'm probably the WORST at wanting to jump down a ref's throat, but we alumns know that you can turn on the maturity when you need to, and at game time, you need to. Like I said, I'm the worst to talk about this, because I rant and rave myself, but I know you can control yourselves because I did when I was your age. We believe in you! Now do it! :thumb::wave:

Trojan by Birth
10-18-2009, 10:56 PM
Trojan by Birth... we get it. Some band person peed in your cheerios and now you hate band people. We all get it. You can stop insulting musicians now. We music teachers work hard to teach people who either make the music or produce the music that goes on your iPod. If you are that serious about hating music, turn off ANY music you hear for a week and close your ears when you do hear it. See how you feel at the end of the week. You may not like the SOTS, but you might have an appreciation for musicians in general. Until then, I would personally appreciate it if you not degrade my profession and a major part of my life anymore. I've spent and invested a lot of time, energy, and money into my profession and don't appreciate all of the slams, and neither would my students. :mad:

SOTS... I'm probably the WORST at wanting to jump down a ref's throat, but we alumns know that you can turn on the maturity when you need to, and at game time, you need to. Like I said, I'm the worst to talk about this, because I rant and rave myself, but I know you can control yourselves because I did when I was your age. We believe in you! Now do it! :thumb::wave:

I love music! Going to the symphony is a wonderful experience! My point is this. Marching bands were important when technology didn't allow for other forms of music at football games. Just like the horse and buggy was the only mode of transportation until the invention of the mighty automobile. Marching bands such as TSOTS are not entertaining at all during a half time show. Why is it that major bowl games have high energy music and dance shows instead of marching bands? Marching bands are boring. I would rather see something fun and exciting during my halftime show. I fully appreciate the arts but why do most universities ignore the strings in their symphonies? I appreciate live conducted music but I feel it has a place and time. Marching bands much like the horse and buggy are behind the times.

TroyDrum89
10-18-2009, 11:21 PM
I love music! Going to the symphony is a wonderful experience! My point is this. Marching bands were important when technology didn't allow for other forms of music at football games. Just like the horse and buggy was the only mode of transportation until the invention of the mighty automobile. Marching bands such as TSOTS are not entertaining at all during a half time show. Why is it that major bowl games have high energy music and dance shows instead of marching bands? Marching bands are boring. I would rather see something fun and exciting during my halftime show. I fully appreciate the arts but why do most universities ignore the strings in their symphonies? I appreciate live conducted music but I feel it has a place and time. Marching bands much like the horse and buggy are behind the times.

Man, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But I (and I know I'm not alone at all in this) really feel that marching bands are a HUGE part of college football. The student section, the band, the fight song, the drunken frats/sororities. All of these are characteristics of good ol' college ball. ALL, and I mean ALL of the major Div 1 programs have great marching bands and they continue to keep that tradition because it's part of the EXPERIENCE.

Examples of great marching band traditions...

Ohio State- The Script (having been to the 'Shoe, the fans eat this up! They love this AND the band!)
Tennessee- Rocky Top
LSU- Tiger Rag
FSU- War Chant
USC- Tribute to Troy
Even Alabama's redneck "Rammer Jammer" cheer

There are more, but I think you get the point. These things hype the crowd AND the team up! A recording over the PA just wouldn't be the same. There's a visual aspect (i.e. Ohio State, LSU) that just can't be mimicked or replaced.

wrden
10-18-2009, 11:44 PM
PLEASE STOP FEEDING THE MORONS!!!!!!! Can't you see they are just baiting you, leave them and they will crawl back into their cave.

JPSousa1898
10-18-2009, 11:55 PM

Your previous comments betray your current sentiment. I'm the biggest music dork I know... I actually listen to music before Bach and after 1945 in my relm of listening and enjoy it to the point of study. However, I recognize the importance of the visual "flash and trash", entertainment, or even edu-tainment (as the band at my current school incarnates it) of the marching band. It's a spoke (a very flashy, effective, money raising spoke) of a larger wheel that is centered around the university's (not to mention high school's) overall music department.

The comments you made before echoed in my ears as those of an infamous member of the Auburn University board of trustees 10 years ago when he wanted to cut the whole music department. Except in this instance the only thing that SAVED the Auburn music program WAS the Auburn University Marching Band. (The most visible part of a now VERY diminished music department.) Without the marching band, few people know that the music department, school of music, college of music, whatever exists and question its validity as a very large expenditure in the school budget.

You might enjoy going to see the Symphony Band, Collegiate Singers, Chamber Choir, Gospel Choir, Jazz Bands and Combos, Concert bands, recitals, percussion ensembles, show choir, and other John M. Long School of Music Ensembles, but without the money that the Sound of the South generates, those programs would not exist in their current state of excellence. I know. I've seen and studied their evolutions. The visibility of the Sound of the South has brought in more money to the music department and more quality musicians than any flier ever has and allows you to see those quality concerts. The same is true in the majority of the nation's universities. Those without marching bands struggle for visibility and have to depend on other methods of visibility or constantly fund raise. Major symphonies find their recruits in musicians that many times were recruited to music because of marching band.

To sum up this rather long philosophical rant, be careful what you wish for... you just might get it, then regret it.

On a friendlier note... SOTS ALUMNI BAND in less than 6 days!!!

moosicman
10-19-2009, 07:35 AM
I'm posting this now just to be emailed whenever someone else posts something else stupid and I can come on here and remind myself that I'm not the biggest idiot in life.

TroyTrojanNYC
10-19-2009, 08:08 AM
please stop feeding the morons!!!!!!! Can't you see they are just baiting you, leave them and they will crawl back into their cave.

amen!

+1
+1
+1

DedicatedTrojan84
10-19-2009, 09:38 AM
http://thisaintnews.com/images/pics/1250113298-this_thread_is_pretty_gay.gif

troyjohn06
10-19-2009, 10:25 AM
The ending of the Cal vs Stanford game from years ago would not have been nearly as much fun without the band. :rolleyes:

Trojan by Birth
10-19-2009, 03:35 PM
The Baltimore Ravens recently replaced a marching band during it's halftime show with pee wee football. It was quite the success. My favorite quote is that someone would rather watch a dog catch a frisbee than marching band. Marching Band's days are numbered and it is about time. Same damn thing game after game after game. No originality whatsoever.

http://www.ravens24x7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40483

moosicman
10-19-2009, 05:11 PM
The Baltimore Ravens recently replaced a marching band during it's halftime show with pee wee football. It was quite the success. My favorite quote is that someone would rather watch a dog catch a frisbee than marching band. Marching Band's days are numbered and it is about time. Same damn thing game after game after game. No originality whatsoever.

http://www.ravens24x7.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40483

LOL....marching bands are numbered for sure!!! Give it about another 1000 years and they'll get phased out. If the governments w/ nukes let us rock on that long. But your right. They are definitely numbered....

Psitech
10-19-2009, 05:56 PM
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n273/lilhunni6/cowbell.jpg

Oh, nevermind, that might get the anti band people's panties in a wad.

The kids yelling that crap needs to stop. That's all that needs to be said. I'm sure it will be taken care of.

Room Guy
10-19-2009, 06:44 PM
I've got an idea. Let's stop trying to turn college football into the NFL. Why is it always the things that make college football unique that always seem to get attacked? How about we let college football be college football and let professional football be professional football.

Mike Cunningham
10-19-2009, 06:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ipalatt/die_thread_die.jpg

Trojan by Birth
10-19-2009, 07:04 PM
I've got an idea. Let's stop trying to turn college football into the NFL. Why is it always the things that make college football unique that always seem to get attacked? How about we let college football be college football and let professional football be professional football.

Band doesn't make college football unique. Band makes halftime boring.

moosicman
10-19-2009, 08:18 PM
I helped arrange an alumni band from my high school alma mater and we had over 120 (from a I-A school) show up from years 1960-2008 some from as far as Atlanta and southern Florida (we are in extreme southwest Georgia).
We've formed an alumni association for it and have been invited to two parades. There is a spring concert in the works of movie themes and a dinner theater to fund raise for the current band program, which is as good now as it has been in years. WTVY in Dothan carried a very nice story on us which they ran about 6 times throughout the weekend. The school superintendent thanked me because they made more money that Friday night than any other in the past 10 year history. It has nothing to do with college football or any of these other moronic rants, but since some in here were talking nonsense and everyone else who wasn't interested has long since ceased viewing this thread, I thought I would make note of it. There we go....here's mud in your eye!

TroyDrum89
10-19-2009, 08:43 PM
http://www.funnyforumpics.com/forums/this-thread-sucks/9/Thread-Crap-Lock.jpg

JPSousa1898
10-19-2009, 10:08 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IQOyP4JbXJQ/R1_ETAxnZII/AAAAAAAAAC0/Cba2kHndZiM/S300/badtopc.gifhttp://media.photobucket.com/image/Dead%20thread/mbailey4357/DeadThread.jpg

FliryVorru
10-19-2009, 11:20 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3081/2838429789_4e356fcd5b.jpg

moosicman
10-20-2009, 07:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CTDEteVMIA

sotstrojan
10-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Band members are representatives of the University and program while they are in uniform. If you observed a problem, e-mail the director and I'm sure it will be addressed.

However, please remember that not ALL band members act this way.

To those past and current band members reading this thread, thank you for your hard work. Ignore the ramblings.

SOTS 86-89
10-20-2009, 10:06 PM
As an alumni member of the SOTS I am dissapointed to hear of such behavior. I would hope that such examples are the exception to the rule and I can't help but think that if addressed through the proper channels that this would be addressed by Mr. Ford. As a high school band director for 21 years I'm proud to say that some of the proudest moments of my career have been when someone has shared with me examples of good behavior that my students have exhibited. Unfortunately, there have been occasional occurances that I was not proud of and they were dealt with accordingly.

I was going to stay out of the comments shared by a handful of members that feel the band doesn't have a place in football, but I've got to have my say. I know some of you will say that I'm biased (and maybe I am), but I can think of so many times that the band that I was associated with was so into the game that there had to have been some positive effect on the outcome. I think the current rendition of the SOTS is the best yet as far as getting behind the team throughout the game, even more so than when I was a member from 1986-89.

I can cite many instances when the high school band I was working with was fighting hard in the stands to get the crowd and the team pumped up...especially in a close game. When Hurdlelove first purchased GoTroyTrojans.com several months ago we had a conversation through PM about a playoff game between Eufaula and Stanhope-Elmore when I was the band director at Eufaula and he was a football player. That was one of the best high school football games that I was ever associated with. I think all of the football players and coaches knew that we were behind them all the way that night. The funniest thing I remember was talking with people in the community the next week that bragged on the support of the band during that game...and they were in Eufaula listening on the radio!!!

It appears to me that the SOTS and the football team compliment each other very well and I would hate to even imagine having to do without one or the other. Even on trips where the full SOTS hasn't traveled this year we've had posters from Troy and other schools on gtt.com talking about the great job the pep band did in the stands.

Unacceptable behavior is, well, unacceptable. To discount 325+ students for the actions of a few is unreasonable. Addressing this properly is obviously the correct solution to the problem. If I were in Mr. Ford's shoes I would want to know, and I'm sure that's the case with him as well.

JPSousa1898
10-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Amen! Thank you for that post!:wave:

CardinalBlackTrojan
10-21-2009, 03:19 AM
SOTS = fantastic. long live SOTS. being a student, i'd be bored as hell if i had to sit in the student section without a band playing or cheerleaders over there starting a chant or the wave. oh yyesss just what i want to hear... a band on an ipod being played over the sound system, just like FIU!.......

if you don't think the band or cheerleaders are needed, you have no clue what they bring to the atmosphere of a game. come sit in the student section or find a spot at the lower deck of the west stands one day where the cheerleaders are located and maybe some of you will get a feeling for how much the band and cheerleaders are needed... without the cheerleaders the stadium would be dull. without the band, who's going to play the great music between plays and keep the fanbase excited? i dont wanna hear mess from an ipod, i want the live thing... some on here need to get their minds right.
http://doogs.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/whambulance.jpg

TroyTuba
10-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Throughout this "wonderful" thread, I've come to the conclusion that only one person in the entire fan base wants an I-Pod to replace the band. Why not ask the coach and football players what they want. I would value their opinion since they are the reason for the game. I would love to see them run to the top of the press box and gather around the I-Pod to sing the fight song by the way.....I really would!!!! I'm sure visiting schools will be glad to plug in the visiting team's I-Pod too.

Having been around this board a little while, I too have noticed that a at least once a year there is a "cut the band" thread and it usually comes about when the football team is winning. When the team isn't doing so hot, the focus is on firing Larry or how bad the players are or the other coaches are dumb, etc., then as soon as the team is doing good for a while, here comes the band thread right on cue......I'd say I'm amazed that it comes up every year, but I guess in reality, I'm not.

The band (whether the whole band or pep band) have been to some places and been through some circumstances at games that many fans do not have the dedication to endure. Many times, it's the pep band and some of the team member's family that are at the games to cheer for the team. And other than two instances I can think of in the past twelve years, the band stays beyond the end of the game. A majority of band members are some of the biggest fans of the football team- take take that as an excuse of their behavior. What should have been done was to e-mail Ralph Ford or Mark Walker, I personally can guarantee that it would've been dealt with swiftly and thoroughly had that route been taken instead of dragging it about this forum like has been done.

Just another opinion......take it for what it's worth.

Hey Robert, you coming up for homecoming this weekend?

FliryVorru
10-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Yes, sir.

I'll be there with my axe and a brutha from AH.

moosicman
10-21-2009, 11:23 PM
throughout this "wonderful" thread, i've come to the conclusion that only one person in the entire fan base wants an i-pod to replace the band. Why not ask the coach and football players what they want. I would value their opinion since they are the reason for the game. I would love to see them run to the top of the press box and gather around the i-pod to sing the fight song by the way.....i really would!!!! I'm sure visiting schools will be glad to plug in the visiting team's i-pod too.

Having been around this board a little while, i too have noticed that a at least once a year there is a "cut the band" thread and it usually comes about when the football team is winning. When the team isn't doing so hot, the focus is on firing larry or how bad the players are or the other coaches are dumb, etc., then as soon as the team is doing good for a while, here comes the band thread right on cue......i'd say i'm amazed that it comes up every year, but i guess in reality, i'm not.

The band (whether the whole band or pep band) have been to some places and been through some circumstances at games that many fans do not have the dedication to endure. Many times, it's the pep band and some of the team member's family that are at the games to cheer for the team. And other than two instances i can think of in the past twelve years, the band stays beyond the end of the game. A majority of band members are some of the biggest fans of the football team- take take that as an excuse of their behavior. What should have been done was to e-mail ralph ford or mark walker, i personally can guarantee that it would've been dealt with swiftly and thoroughly had that route been taken instead of dragging it about this forum like has been done.

Just another opinion......take it for what it's worth.

Hey robert, you coming up for homecoming this weekend?

standing ovation!!!!!!!

skeletor
10-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Let's explore the cost benefit of replacing The Sound of the South with an iPod.

Ipod Classic:

Cost: $249
Size and weight
Height:
4.1 inches (103.5 mm)
Width:
2.4 inches (61.8 mm)
Depth:
0.41 inch (10.5 mm)
Weight:
4.9 ounces (140 grams)1

Capacity
160GB hard drive
Holds up to 40,000 songs in 128-Kbps AAC format3
Holds up to 25,000 iPod-viewable photos4
Holds up to 200 hours of video5
Stores data via USB hard drive

Troy Sound of The South
Cost: Easily a million a year.
Height: some tall, some short
Width: standard parade width
Depth: About the sophomore level
Weight: Must be transported by several busses.

Capacity: I'll say 100 songs and be generous
Video Playback: none

Hmmm... I could buy a $249 iPod and have tons of money left over for speakers, and iTunes gift cards!!!!!!!

Using this logic, we ought to replace the football games with a playstation 3 and EA Sports NCAA Football 2010. I mean that would be way cheaper than fielding an actual football team!:thumb:

moosicman
10-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Using this logic, we ought to replace the football games with a playstation 3 and EA Sports NCAA Football 2010. I mean that would be way cheaper than fielding an actual football team!:thumb:

SLAM and DUNK....

TUrocks
10-24-2009, 12:57 PM

Oh man....you beat me to it.

Don't worry fellas....Mr. Trojan by Birth is heavily....heavily outnumbered.

Trojan by Birth
10-24-2009, 06:19 PM
I think I need to rethink my position. I watched the homecoming parade today and the high school bands were really good. Maybe I just don't like TSOTS. I'm not flaming or trolling here, I'm being serious. I will honestly say that today's halftime performance where the band was jumping around and energetic was actually entertaining. So maybe my dislike is not with bands but rather with the halftime show design.

I'll give credit for today and call it. TSOTS 1, iPOD 0.

skeletor
10-24-2009, 06:30 PM
I think I need to rethink my position. I watched the homecoming parade today and the high school bands were really good. Maybe I just don't like TSOTS. I'm not flaming or trolling here, I'm being serious. I will honestly say that today's halftime performance where the band was jumping around and energetic was actually entertaining. So maybe my dislike is not with bands but rather with the halftime show design.

I will also rethink my position, Troy's football team is better than a video game on a ps3:thumb:

Psitech
10-24-2009, 08:29 PM
:wave:

Spiritual_Trojan
10-24-2009, 10:47 PM

Trivia tidbit: The head directors from all the high school bands in the parade today were all troy grads :thumb:

There are many different directions a marching band can take in its show designs. I would recommend that if you have and idea that you feel would make SOTS more entertaining to email Mr. Ford or Dr. Walker with it. I guarantee they will read and consider it.

In the future if you see a band member doing something that you feel is detrimental to the image of the university make sure to email the directors. They do not take this topic lightly and will check into any accusation and punish anyone involved accordingly. One thing Mr Ford pounds into our heads every year is that the reputation of the SOTS has been built for over 40 years, but it only takes one person doing one stupid thing to bring it all crumbling down.

moosicman
10-25-2009, 07:49 AM

Very respectable. I love it when people can admit a mistake. It doesn't show a weakness at all. It shows character. :thumb:

TroyTuba
10-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Trojan by Birth, we are all just passionate about what we do. I am sincerely glad that the "Sound" was able to perform something to entertain you. It is hard to program shows for everybody and when you are able to finally make a connection with the audience, it is a good feeling.