PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Hawkins Named President of Sun Belt

Navarre Trojan
10-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Executive Committee:

NEW ORLEANS – The Sun Belt Conference announced today that Troy University Chancellor Dr. Jack Hawkins, Jr. has been elevated to President of the Sun Belt Conference Executive Committee, South Alabama President Gordon Moulton has been named Vice President, and UALR Chancellor Dr. Joel E. Anderson will serve as the Executive Committee’s At-Large Representative.

The terms for all three positions are good through the end of the 2009-10 academic year and are eligible for renewal at the league meeting in May, 2010. The changes come after former Florida Atlantic and Sun Belt Conference Executive Committee President Frank T. Brogan left FAU to become the Chancellor of the Florida University System.
Dr. Hawkins had been serving as the committee’s Vice President since May of 2008 and had also previously served as the At-Large Representative. Dr. Hawkins has served as Troy University Chancellor since September, 1989.

“It is an honor to serve as President of the Sun Belt Conference Executive Committee,” said Dr. Hawkins. “Our universities owe a debt of gratitude to Frank Brogan for his exemplary service in this role. He leaves big shoes to fill. Likewise the Sun Belt Conference enjoys outstanding leadership from Commissioner Waters and his staff and the conference is headed in the right direction. I believe the best is yet to come for the conference and its member institutions.”

Moulton, who had previously been serving as the Executive Committee At-Large Representative, has been with the University of South Alabama for more than 40 years. He joined USA as a business faculty member in 1966 – three years after the University was founded.

“Effective conferences and constructive institutional collaboration are crucial to providing high quality intercollegiate athletics and insuring the greatest opportunities for our student-athletes, so I am eager to enhance the University of South Alabama’s contribution to the strongest possible Sun Belt Conference,” said Moulton.

Dr. Anderson will begin his first service on the Sun Belt Conference Executive Committee as the group’s At-Large Representative. Dr. Anderson was named UALR’s Chancellor in 2002 and has been with the university since 1971.

"I am pleased to take a seat on the Sun Belt Conference Executive Committee,” said Dr. Anderson. “I look forward to a larger role in shaping the Conference's future."
“The Sun Belt Conference Executive Committee oversees all of the conference’s structure and because of that it is critical that there is strong leadership and an attitude for advancing the conference,” said Sun Belt Conference Commissioner Wright Waters. “I firmly believe that the Executive Committee that we have in place is determined to lead the Sun Belt Conference to new heights.”