PDA

View Full Version : New frat houses

JonesOxygen
09-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Is it true, a couple of the fraternities opted out of the new house? If so, how can the university say "yes keep that ugly house it will look okay next to the nice new ones"?

TrojanWarrior418
09-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Shouldn't really matter, I believe all the houses on Pell Avenue have now been demolished.

sotsclarinet08
09-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Drove by the other day. It's all demolished.

JonesOxygen
09-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Drove by the other day. It's all demolished.

Thats what happens when I listen to rumors. Thanks for clearing that up, I was meaning to go by there yesterday, but forgot.

Burn the Horse
09-22-2009, 07:46 AM
i heard that Lambda Chi wanted to keep their house. I also heard the University began demolishing it while they were still in it. It was early in the morning, all the guys were asleep in the back, and they started tearing down their social room. just hear-say, but if it's true...wow!

RDA Trojan
09-22-2009, 08:55 AM
i heard that Lambda Chi wanted to keep their house. I also heard the University began demolishing it while they were still in it. It was early in the morning, all the guys were asleep in the back, and they started tearing down their social room. just hear-say, but if it's true...wow!

I rode down Pell after the game. Some houses were still standing, but looked completely emptied out. I saw some spray paint on windows in the shape of an X. No doors or anything.

I'd like to hear more about the demolishing with folks inside if anyone else knows more. You would seriously hope that the university told them what date to be out by. But you never know.

FoulPolePhenom
09-22-2009, 11:25 AM
I rode down Pell after the game. Some houses were still standing, but looked completely emptied out. I saw some spray paint on windows in the shape of an X. No doors or anything.

I'd like to hear more about the demolishing with folks inside if anyone else knows more. You would seriously hope that the university told them what date to be out by. But you never know.

No one was in the house, they had already moved out. But they did start the demolition before they were supposed to and there was some stuff (TV) in the house that got demolished.

http://trop.troy.edu/2009/09/17/n01.php

JonesOxygen
09-22-2009, 11:33 AM

That was exactly what I heard.

Burn the Horse
09-24-2009, 11:27 AM
No one was in the house, they had already moved out. But they did start the demolition before they were supposed to and there was some stuff (TV) in the house that got demolished.

http://trop.troy.edu/2009/09/17/n01.php

my brother is the one who told me about them tearing it down while their members were in the back hall sleeping. He has some good friends in Lambda Chi and they told him that.

BMarkey
09-24-2009, 05:02 PM
The Lambda Chi house was torn down, allegedly, by mistake. Well, early. The university and LCA leaders were negotiating over the new house plans at the time.

Troy is pretty much forcing the hand of the fraternities to live in houses owned by the university but funded by the fraternity members and fraternity housng boards. LCA and Sigma Chi, the first two groups on Pell Avenue, had equity in their buildings and could affrod downpayments on private homes. Subsequent fraternities on the street did not.

LCA wanted to build its own house or have the university finance a house that LCA would eventually own. It appears now that the fraternities will pay a sort of rent to Troy and operate at least the living quarters portion of the new houses, which are expected to be open by next fall.

Lambda Chi had been told to move out of the house after the last fall rush event. One last party was held in late summer, and reportedly, some do-it-yourself demolition was done. There was a little dust-up becuse Troy was not yet far enough along with its contruction plan (forever-changing boondoggle for four-plus years) to do it right away.

LCA did not understand why Troy would want the fraternities out of the houses - further exasperating the dorm crunch on campus - when the new house plan was not even set. Why not get through the busy fall quarter - with Homecoming and other major events - and then demolish the houses in the winter?

By kicking the fraternities out, Troy has caused a Homecoming space crunch for thousnds of alumni and families expected in town. Expecting many hundred visitors in its largest Homecoming to date, LCA was lucky enough to rent the Holiday Inn for the entire weekend. Other fraternities have been forced into using big tents, the arboreum, etc.

Then came the bulldozers a week or two ago.

The homes will have the traditional southern brick / columns look and be modern (thank God, no more concrete cells) with all the conveniences students now come to expect. They will also have social and meeting rooms and other necessities. It sounds lie each fraternity can customize the non-living portions of the homes with additiona money.

I do not yet know if the once-set plan to build a new entrance to the row down the ravene behind the new College of Education - while blocking off the two current entrances to Pell - is still on track.

FHBrian
09-24-2009, 07:47 PM
With the time it is going to take for prepping the property and construction it is going to take a year so it was either this homecoming this year or next. And it make more sense to do a normal school year than 2 halves from the standpoint or members living off campus and leases. I imagine it would of been difficult to find a place to live from January to January in a town where a majority of rental properties are probably based more on school year than calendar year so that part makes sense to me. This has been in the plans for years and really just at the end of last school year did it really become a reality. The University changed the leases at the last minute and added more rental money and gave Fraternities no options. Sign the lease or don't get a house, and in Troy it is nearly impossible to find anywhere to house a Fraternity due to the housing codes in Troy. It is going to be good for the Greek system but it is going to cost the members a lot more to live in the houses and be a member due to unexpected increase in the rent to the Fraternities.

TroyPremier
09-25-2009, 09:47 AM
With the time it is going to take for prepping the property and construction it is going to take a year so it was either this homecoming this year or next. And it make more sense to do a normal school year than 2 halves from the standpoint or members living off campus and leases. I imagine it would of been difficult to find a place to live from January to January in a town where a majority of rental properties are probably based more on school year than calendar year so that part makes sense to me. This has been in the plans for years and really just at the end of last school year did it really become a reality. The University changed the leases at the last minute and added more rental money and gave Fraternities no options. Sign the lease or don't get a house, and in Troy it is nearly impossible to find anywhere to house a Fraternity due to the housing codes in Troy. It is going to be good for the Greek system but it is going to cost the members a lot more to live in the houses and be a member due to unexpected increase in the rent to the Fraternities.

I agree. Troy's administration really handled this in a bush league manner and have screwed the fraternities. But its ok right? Since the university can now count on "rent" income from all of the fraternities.

MusicMan
11-07-2009, 01:24 AM
I know we were told at one point that our dues could go up like 100 bucks for the next year. I think that's bull because most of the guys are paying dues out of their own pockets. It's a pain to pay for school, books, rent, groceries, and fraternity dues. I know you can say you can go inactive, but then it's a pain to go inactive because you no longer have a say on how your letters are represented on campus