PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody else worried?

remmyj
09-20-2009, 10:35 PM
That Troy is hurting its own image academically in order to make more money? I'm a Troy student (Montgomery Campus), but it seems that they keep opening up these satellite campuses all over the place and it just looks bad.

I have no issue with Troy offering online courses. Auburn, UA, and several other flagship schools have very extensive DL programs. Penn State and University of Illinois both have global campuses and offer several online degree programs. Even MTSU, whose fans constantly criticize Troy, offers online degree programs.

I just don't want to see Troy turn into the public version of DeVry, opening up satellite campuses inside shopping malls. They need to limit the satellites to only military bases for servicemen and women who wish to attend an eArmyU school, and start promoting the main campuses in AL.

Instead of opening and promoting these satellite campuses, Troy's academic directors should focus on transforming the school into a research university.

Your thoughts?

If anyone here works for Troy, please mention this to them. :rolleyes:

CardinalBlackTrojan
09-21-2009, 12:01 AM
I agree

JPSousa1898
09-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Second!

Swordsman
09-21-2009, 03:04 PM
I completely agree!

Spiritual_Trojan
10-25-2009, 01:07 AM
They have a branch near my home town in Marianna now. Its not an independent branch, it's housed within Chipola college, an up and coming college/university. They way the are doing it there is it's Troy staff and troy curriculum merged into CC so it's helping Troy by getting us more exposure and providing more jobs and helping Chipola by instantly allowing to provide a bachelors in Psychology that would have taken them years to running and accredited.

TUrocks
10-25-2009, 09:03 AM
I have always been fine with our military satellite campuses and the Montgomery and Dothan branches, but they need to leave it at that, or you're right....we'll look like Devry.....Devry with sports.

TFan
10-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Instead of opening and promoting these satellite campuses, Troy's academic directors should focus on transforming the school into a research university.

Your thoughts?

:rolleyes:

Research University?? How 'bout a great Teaching University.. research institutes are a dime a dozen now. What's wrong with a solid teaching philosophy that prepares high school grads for critical thinking, historical bases and analytical tools for succeeding in one's chosen field? REAL life professors that share life experience as well as curriculum, not GA's that are biding time teaching to make ends meet.

Not a TRoy Alum here but have tremendous respect and memories for the REAL professors that taught my undrgrad days back in the dark ages. Even remember their names.. can't recall a name of the few GA's that "substituted" for real profs along the way.

WTH we gonna research here anyway? Business? Nursing? Teaching? Help me out, I'm no Troy insider.

JPSousa1898
10-26-2009, 02:40 AM
WTH we gonna research here anyway? Business? Nursing? Teaching? Help me out, I'm no Troy insider.

All 3 are a good start, especially teaching.... as a matter of fact some of our esteemed education faculty do quite a bit of writing and research already.

FliryVorru
10-26-2009, 10:35 AM

Here an example of research that is already happening at Troy University and is garnering national attention:

Dr. Govid Menon is an expert in black hole physics and works side by side with the Naval Research Department in some very interesting research on black hole electrodynamics and particle currents. Here's two of the dozens of articles and books published by him:

An article entitled "Timelike geodesic currents in the stationary, axisymmetric, force-free magnetosphere of a Kerr black hole" (http://scitation.aip.org/getabs/servlet/GetabsServlet?prog=normal&id=PRVDAQ000079000012123005000001&idtype=cvips&gifs=yes)
High Energy Radiation from Black Holes: Gamma Rays, Cosmic Rays, and Neutrinos (http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9092.html)

When professors like this are noted for their research in whatever their field of endeavor is it can only help the image of the university. Will we ever be a typical Research 1 university? Probably not, but that's fine. The research we do is noted and is good for academia.

jgrimsley
10-26-2009, 10:22 PM
That Troy is hurting its own image academically in order to make more money? I'm a Troy student (Montgomery Campus), but it seems that they keep opening up these satellite campuses all over the place and it just looks bad.

I have no issue with Troy offering online courses. Auburn, UA, and several other flagship schools have very extensive DL programs. Penn State and University of Illinois both have global campuses and offer several online degree programs. Even MTSU, whose fans constantly criticize Troy, offers online degree programs.

I just don't want to see Troy turn into the public version of DeVry, opening up satellite campuses inside shopping malls. They need to limit the satellites to only military bases for servicemen and women who wish to attend an eArmyU school, and start promoting the main campuses in AL.

Your thoughts?

If anyone here works for Troy, please mention this to them. :rolleyes:

There is a satellite campus about 20 minutes north of my house in Tifton, Ga, and another one in Albany. These campuses help people not only achieve their academic goals, but bring more people into the Troy family. I know many that cannot attend "traditional" college to further their education due to family and other career restraints; these satellite campuses give them the opportunity to do so. We know that they are getting a good, sound education-a TROY education.

FortTroy
10-27-2009, 07:52 AM
I took a class with Dr. Menon over the summer. He took a day to explain what he does and how black holes work. It was fascinating. He's a really great teacher.

Another teacher for research would be Dr. Jones. (Indiana):
http://www.troy.edu/news/archives/2009/october/10142009_cambridge_press.html

I also have a class with him and he is an amazing teacher. Everytime I leave his class I want to go change my major to history because his class is just that awesome.

TUTrojan
10-29-2009, 03:54 PM
I took a class with Dr. Menon over the summer. He took a day to explain what he does and how black holes work. It was fascinating. He's a really great teacher.

Another teacher for research would be Dr. Jones. (Indiana):
http://www.troy.edu/news/archives/2009/october/10142009_cambridge_press.html

I also have a class with him and he is an amazing teacher. Everytime I leave his class I want to go change my major to history because his class is just that awesome.

IF he was so brilliant he could create a TIME MACHINE that would allow us to go back in time to replay the 4th quarter at LSU!

Dothan_Trojan97
10-29-2009, 08:40 PM
IF he was so brilliant he could create a TIME MACHINE that would allow us to go back in time to replay the 4th quarter at LSU!

Nice! Ahh, but then we would have one less game to complain about why we suck, or why we need to fire NB, JR, or LB, or how we'll never take the next step into the "big time." Half of the posters on this board would have had nothing to complain about between November '08 and Saptember '09.

JPSousa1898
10-30-2009, 01:05 AM
Nice! Ahh, but then we would have one less game to complain about why we suck, or why we need to fire NB, JR, or LB, or how we'll never take the next step into the "big time." Half of the posters on this board would have had nothing to complain about between November '08 and Saptember '09.

HAHAHAHHA!!!

Someone should research the effects of internet message boards on fan participation at Troy football games. :wave::thumb: Ya think that'd be a good topic? LOL!

TFan
10-30-2009, 07:20 AM
HAHAHAHHA!!!

Someone should research the effects of internet message boards on fan participation at Troy football games. :wave::thumb: Ya think that'd be a good topic? LOL!

I believe that he'd(she'd) find a high correlation but as I was taught one could not infer an "if/then" relationship between the two.

I do know this, the more Troy Trojans are discussed and cussed, more people become emotional about the subject, more people become passionate enough about the Trojans and results in more action-oriented behavior.

Hmm, like you say, maybe we need a grant to research this. Just enough to cover beer for a couple dozen folks or so at Yanni's! :thumb:thumb:

JPSousa1898
10-31-2009, 11:53 AM
I believe that he'd(she'd) find a high correlation but as I was taught one could not infer an "if/then" relationship between the two.

I do know this, the more Troy Trojans are discussed and cussed, more people become emotional about the subject, more people become passionate enough about the Trojans and results in more action-oriented behavior.

Hmm, like you say, maybe we need a grant to research this. Just enough to cover beer for a couple dozen folks or so at Yanni's! :thumb:thumb:

I'm game!

FliryVorru
11-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Not trying to stir up old business, but here's an article from Tuesday on MSNBC that quotes Dr. Govid Menon, professor of Physics at Troy University:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33798256/ns/technology_and_science-space/

I know it's a small thing, but every person who reads that article reads "Troy University" and that's free publicity.

Trojan2003
11-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Not trying to stir up old business, but here's an article from Tuesday on MSNBC that quotes Dr. Govid Menon, professor of Physics at Troy University:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33798256/ns/technology_and_science-space/

I know it's a small thing, but every person who reads that article reads "Troy University" and that's free publicity.

Dr. Govind Menon is an associate professor in the Department of Mathematics and Physics. He came to the University in 1996 as an instructor from the University of Alabama at Birmingham where he served as a graduate teaching assistant.

Menon earned his bachelorís in mathematics from TROY in 1991. He holds both a masterís and a doctorate in physics from the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

His academic concentrations include physical science, general physics, fundamentals of electric fields, mechanics, electromagnetic fields, analytic geometry, optics, modern physics and calculus.

Menon currently serves as president of the mathematics and physics section of the Alabama Academy of Science. He is also a member of the American Mathematical Society, Gamma Beta Phi and Phi Kappa Phi.

Menon was the 1994 Physics Graduate Student of the Year at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and the 1989 Superior Achievement Award winner in Mathematics at TROY.

- - - - - - - -

Book In Press

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AOSnTpKYL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

High Energy Radiation from Black Holes. Accepted for publication, Princeton University Press.

-> http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9092.html