PDA

View Full Version : Advice for upcoming freshmen and prospective students

Whitney
08-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Hey so I was wondering, if its okay if this topic is in the part of the board, if you oh wise and thoughtful students who have lived on campus and/or attended classes would mind if you could just write down some advice or funny stories or anything of the sort.

I am a prospective student and hope to join the gang at the Troy Campus in Fall '11 to major in Broadcast Journalism. Thanks ya'll!

SOTS_tuba
08-15-2009, 01:51 AM
You should live in the dorms with a roommate assigned by the university for at least one year. It will help you to realize how selective you really wanna be when you look for a roommate for an apt. Lol dorm life isnt as bad as everyone make it out, like the rest of life it's what you make of it. I lived in Alumni my first year, never had a roach, spider, mold, smell, ect problem, because when I saw the first roach I went to walmart and got those lil roach motel things and replaced them every month hence the moved next door lol. if you get stuck in Gardner or Hamil then you'll get the joy of know what it's like to have someone who doesnt live there saying what a comfortable temp is. Until they get about 1,000 angry complaints from students in their skivvies standing outside of Herb Reeves office. But it was fun I'm glad I did it, it's kind of like pledging... It's the most fun you'll never want to have again. I've at Troy for 4 years now mostly round the music dept but if you have any question hit me up if I don't know i know someone who does.

Whitney
08-16-2009, 09:22 PM
funniest moment from homecoming 2008 for me was this:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/bama_gal6/DSCN7738.jpg

the guys standing in front of the guys that where leaning against the railing were heckling the other team while they where being stretched it was the funniest thing cause of some of the things they said! loved it!

Whitney
08-16-2009, 09:29 PM
You should live in the dorms with a roommate assigned by the university for at least one year. It will help you to realize how selective you really wanna be when you look for a roommate for an apt. Lol dorm life isnt as bad as everyone make it out, like the rest of life it's what you make of it. I lived in Alumni my first year, never had a roach, spider, mold, smell, ect problem, because when I saw the first roach I went to walmart and got those lil roach motel things and replaced them every month hence the moved next door lol. if you get stuck in Gardner or Hamil then you'll get the joy of know what it's like to have someone who doesnt live there saying what a comfortable temp is. Until they get about 1,000 angry complaints from students in their skivvies standing outside of Herb Reeves office. But it was fun I'm glad I did it, it's kind of like pledging... It's the most fun you'll never want to have again. I've at Troy for 4 years now mostly round the music dept but if you have any question hit me up if I don't know i know someone who does.

My dad was in one of the band fraternities, I honestly don't know which one but he said he enjoyed living in the dorm rather than a frat house. he was one of the RA's for the dorms he lived in, in his last years there and had some pretty funny stories of students pulling pranks and such but he said there where no critters around (and this is back in the mid 80's.)

and yes Garner and Hamil are my dorms of choice so thats nice to know haha!

FliryVorru
08-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Forgive my long post...

1) Live on campus. Period.

I lived off campus for a year and really hated it. Every other year was great, awesome, and amazing. Even living at the farthest reach of campus you are a 10 minute walk from anything else on campus. Bring your car and be amazed at how little you use it if you schedule your classes wisely.

2) Schedule your classes wisely. If you have a class at 2PM in the Smith and 3PM in Malone, realize that you'll have to strike a trot in order to get there on time. You'll look at your schedule and say "Man, I have a 9, 11, and 2PM class M/W/F... what a waste of time!" when in reality it's a good thing. You'll be astounded how many people you meet in between classes who are like you, killing 50 minutes. These chance meetings with 15-20 minutes of interaction will happen every day and be the life blood of your social life during the day. It's awesome.

3) Lastly, keep your dining plan as long as it's financially feasible. You'll find that you eat with anyone you want as a freshman, friends from your major as a sophomore and junior, and the freshmen you'll be mentoring as a senior will join you later. It may not seem worth the money, but SAGA really isn't that bad and from the sounds of the renovations your options will continue to grow.

I envy you, your future, and your ambition and I am very excited to know you're going to Troy. If you ever need anything, I'm just one year removed and I'd be happy to help. Just PM me. I'm sure many other people (including a few current students) on here would offer the same as well.

Enjoy every day, even the ones with 8AM classes!

SOTS_tuba
08-17-2009, 12:30 AM
funniest moment from homecoming 2008 for me was this:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u52/bama_gal6/DSCN7738.jpg

the guys standing in front of the guys that where leaning against the railing were heckling the other team while they where being stretched it was the funniest thing cause of some of the things they said! loved it!

Lol ah yes great band tradition, all those guys with the exception of carl (the guy in the under armor thing, are in the tuba section. It's a lot of fun when the other team's players and coaches are good sports about it and play back.

Whitney
08-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Forgive my long post...

1) Live on campus. Period.

I lived off campus for a year and really hated it. Every other year was great, awesome, and amazing. Even living at the farthest reach of campus you are a 10 minute walk from anything else on campus. Bring your car and be amazed at how little you use it if you schedule your classes wisely.

2) Schedule your classes wisely. If you have a class at 2PM in the Smith and 3PM in Malone, realize that you'll have to strike a trot in order to get there on time. You'll look at your schedule and say "Man, I have a 9, 11, and 2PM class M/W/F... what a waste of time!" when in reality it's a good thing. You'll be astounded how many people you meet in between classes who are like you, killing 50 minutes. These chance meetings with 15-20 minutes of interaction will happen every day and be the life blood of your social life during the day. It's awesome.

3) Lastly, keep your dining plan as long as it's financially feasible. You'll find that you eat with anyone you want as a freshman, friends from your major as a sophomore and junior, and the freshmen you'll be mentoring as a senior will join you later. It may not seem worth the money, but SAGA really isn't that bad and from the sounds of the renovations your options will continue to grow.

I envy you, your future, and your ambition and I am very excited to know you're going to Troy. If you ever need anything, I'm just one year removed and I'd be happy to help. Just PM me. I'm sure many other people (including a few current students) on here would offer the same as well.

Enjoy every day, even the ones with 8AM classes!

I have no desire whatsoever to live off campus, I love the halls from what I have seen.

I took a tour the day before homecoming this last year and it is a amazingly beautiful campus but its huge! I know the first two years since im doin my general studies classes done and stuff I would have some classes spread out. Idk is that the case for most people the first couple of years?

what is SAGA exactly?

Thanks so much! All of this info is really encouraging and it is making me even more excited to go! :D

FliryVorru
08-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Idk is that the case for most people the first couple of years?

The tendency is that every semester you're at Troy you'll have a better schedule. You have so many choices and your priority in choosing classes gets earlier and earlier as time goes on so it's logical. This is the case until you're a senior, however. Once you have only 6-10 classes left to take you have less options so, logically, you just have to take what you can when you can. Really, your Sophomore and Junior years are the best for classes. Find out what kinds of class pattern work best for you and stick with that as long as you can.

what is SAGA exactly?

Saga is slang for Stewart dining hall. It's a long story, but I'll try and make it concise:

There's a dining company called Saga Dining Services and it was the company that ran the dining in Stewart hall back in the late 70's and early 80's. All of the dining halls they work in eventually acquire the nickname "Saga" because it catches on with students and it's easier than most names that are given to halls on college campuses. It did at Troy (State). Saga stopped doing the dining service in the mid-80's and Marriott/Sodexho took over, but everyone kept calling it Saga. Some students didn't (and still don't) even know there was a company running the dining service within the building and that it's not Troy employees. There were campaigns by Sodexho to change it to silly things like "The Dex" but it never caught on with students so 25 years after the fact we still call it "Saga" but almost nobody knows why.

There's everyone's Troy history lesson of the day.

Thanks so much! All of this info is really encouraging and it is making me even more excited to go! :D

I'm glad! I know you'll love it so just enjoy your high school experience and don't worry too much about college!

JPSousa1898
08-18-2009, 09:49 PM
yeah... what he said.

Burn the Horse
08-18-2009, 10:13 PM
freshman dorms, saga, 8 am classes with a hangover, fraternity parties...

just enjoy being a freshman. do all the stereotypical freshman things, those are the memories you'll carry with you. make sure to attend every pep ralley, tailgate like you're a crazy person, and join THE LEGION!

i was a print journalism major, wrote for the Trop. I loved the department. Make sure you take Bozeman and Kirby, they are awesome! Get involved with TrojanVision, it will be a rewarding experience.

i wish the best for you, I pray you enjoy your Troy experience as much as I did! Oh, and visit a Delta Chi party. hehe.

troy4ever
08-19-2009, 09:36 AM
The tendency is that every semester you're at Troy you'll have a better schedule. You have so many choices and your priority in choosing classes gets earlier and earlier as time goes on so it's logical. This is the case until you're a senior, however. Once you have only 6-10 classes left to take you have less options so, logically, you just have to take what you can when you can. Really, your Sophomore and Junior years are the best for classes. Find out what kinds of class pattern work best for you and stick with that as long as you can.

Saga is slang for Stewart dining hall. It's a long story, but I'll try and make it concise:

There's a dining company called Saga Dining Services and it was the company that ran the dining in Stewart hall back in the late 70's and early 80's. All of the dining halls they work in eventually acquire the nickname "Saga" because it catches on with students and it's easier than most names that are given to halls on college campuses. It did at Troy (State). Saga stopped doing the dining service in the mid-80's and Marriott/Sodexho took over, but everyone kept calling it Saga. Some students didn't (and still don't) even know there was a company running the dining service within the building and that it's not Troy employees. There were campaigns by Sodexho to change it to silly things like "The Dex" but it never caught on with students so 25 years after the fact we still call it "Saga" but almost nobody knows why.

There's everyone's Troy history lesson of the day.

I'm glad! I know you'll love it so just enjoy your high school experience and don't worry too much about college!

Hmmm....I was always told SAGA was an acronym standing for South Alabama Garbage Association. LOL. Literally...that's what I was told.

But SAGA isn't as bad as people make it out to be and certainly not as bad as the name of the acronym.

JPSousa1898
08-19-2009, 10:14 PM
It was South Alabama Gourmet Association... South Alabama Garbage Association was the name they called it to make fun of it.

TROYgirl128
08-23-2009, 02:59 PM
I'll concur with everyone else, thus far.

I lived on campus all 4 years of school and loved it. I lived in Shackelford Hall for 3 of those years... I loved waking up on a Saturday morning and literally walking out the front door and being in the middle of the tailgating action. I loved walking to class and walking to baseball games and basketball games without worrying about where I was going to park.

Get involved!!! TROY offers so many cool things... go to step shows, band concerts, choir concerts, theatre productions, student art shows... Join whatever club/society/organization is sponsored by your department. Even if you choose to go Greek, get involved in something outside of that organization.

Support TROY athletics. It's so awesome to be a part of a university with an athletics program that is growing and creating a name for itself like TROY is.

TROY is a great place. I never questioned whether or not I should've gone there or somewhere else... being there was the best decision I ever made.

TrojanGranger
08-24-2009, 08:47 PM
freshman dorms, saga, 8 am classes with a hangover, fraternity parties...

just enjoy being a freshman. do all the stereotypical freshman things, those are the memories you'll carry with you. make sure to attend every pep ralley, tailgate like you're a crazy person, and join THE LEGION!

i was a print journalism major, wrote for the Trop. I loved the department. Make sure you take Bozeman and Kirby, they are awesome! Get involved with TrojanVision, it will be a rewarding experience.

i wish the best for you, I pray you enjoy your Troy experience as much as I did! Oh, and visit a Delta Chi party. hehe.

I echo that. My focus was radio, but I helped out where I could on the TV side. Great folks and I learned a lot. Bozeman and Kirby weren't teaching (Kirby at the university, anyway...I learned from him at WTBF, though) but Bankester and McKerral were. Loved their classes. You'll learn a lot from Bob Howell and Dr. Padgett as well.

TrojanEmpire
08-25-2009, 05:16 PM
I echo that. My focus was radio, but I helped out where I could on the TV side. Great folks and I learned a lot. Bozeman and Kirby weren't teaching (Kirby at the university, anyway...I learned from him at WTBF, though) but Bankester and McKerral were. Loved their classes. You'll learn a lot from Bob Howell and Dr. Padgett as well.

We probably know each other. I interned at WTBF under Doc to complete my BS degree and worked there during my 2 years in grad school. I really enjoyed my classes with Howell and Padgett. McKerral was cool too. Dean Bankester saved my bacon when, during my internship, allowed me to take 20 (or 25 can't remember) hrs to graduate on time since one of my previous history classes had been counted as two separate courses. Mr. Harris was very supportive and allowed me to sign up for his military history class.

Whitney
10-04-2009, 08:02 PM
We probably know each other. I interned at WTBF under Doc to complete my BS degree and worked there during my 2 years in grad school. I really enjoyed my classes with Howell and Padgett. McKerral was cool too. Dean Bankester saved my bacon when, during my internship, allowed me to take 20 (or 25 can't remember) hrs to graduate on time since one of my previous history classes had been counted as two separate courses. Mr. Harris was very supportive and allowed me to sign up for his military history class.

how much of a hands on learning experience did you get from WTBF?

TrojanEmpire
10-04-2009, 08:10 PM
how much of a hands on learning experience did you get from WTBF?

Quite a bit. I was a really enjoyable experience. I did on air stuff, production remotes, producing, etc.

Whitney
10-04-2009, 08:13 PM
WTBF is a radio station, where there any local tv news stations that did internships and such or where those really limited?

TrojanEmpire
10-04-2009, 08:16 PM
WTBF is a radio station, where there any local tv news stations that did internships and such or where those really limited?

TV Stations in Dothan

TroyTuba
10-10-2009, 01:11 PM
TV-52 is in Troy.

troy145
11-17-2009, 04:06 PM
get involved in groups. Troy is boring as boring can be if you dont, sometimes even if you do.