PDA

View Full Version : On campus parking

Mike Cunningham
08-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Have fun students!

sotsclarinet08
08-12-2009, 12:47 PM
First day of school! It's going pretty well thus far!

Room Guy
08-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Unless you live off campus and have to find a parking spot in the morning...

There are a bunch of folks who live on campus that need to be walking to class instead of driving.

TroyDrum89
08-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Unless you live off campus and have to find a parking spot in the morning...

There are a bunch of folks who live on campus that need to be walking to class instead of driving.

I don't understand why the permits are taking so long to be distributed. That's a huge reason why commuters can't find any parking.

CardinalBlackTrojan
08-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Parking was horrible. i spent 35 minutes trying to find a parking spot within reasonable walking distance of the GAB. i don't understand why the university won't make more parking lots. plenty of land to do so but and it is a constant complaint by students, but nothing ever seems to be done about it.

Room Guy
08-12-2009, 05:34 PM
If people living off campus would just walk to class (or take a bus), the parking situation would be much better. I lived on campus for several years and most of the time, it's actually quicker to walk than drive. The Sartain lot was like playing bumper cars at an amusement park.

Lord-Mustang
08-13-2009, 12:33 AM
I see a day coming when Freshmen won't be allowed to park on campus. I see a day when residents that do not park in resident assigned parking get towed. I see a day when a parking deck will be built. But that day may be far away.

socrgoly25
08-13-2009, 09:44 AM
It is absolutely ridiculous! However, I don't find a problem parking as I utilize the lot next to the football practice fields. There is always a spot available there. People are just under the impression that it is far away, but it's not that bad.

SOTS_tuba
08-15-2009, 01:41 AM
It is absolutely ridiculous! However, I don't find a problem parking as I utilize the lot next to the football practice fields. There is always a spot available there. People are just under the impression that it is far away, but it's not that bad.

If you think it's too far to walk from the lot next to the football practice fields and you dont have a blue tag hanging from your rear view mirror, then maybe you have bigger problems then not showing up at class. I park there every day pull up have 5 spaces to my left 25 to my right put on my head phones and relax on a 5ish min walk to class. There is plenty of parking on campus people just have to get over the fact that the University isnt going to build a 6,000 space parking deck on the quad..... You might have to walk a lil bit.

Sorry guys it just annoys when I hear about the parking crisis on campus when there is non you just have to be inconvenienced a lil and realize that there are far more important things that the university needs to spend money on right now than a parking deck that isnt needed by any means.

TrojanEmpire
08-15-2009, 09:37 AM
It is funny to hear the same complaints about parking that I did when I was in school. My deal was if you lived on campus, you should walk to class. I would tell the off campus students, if you can't find a parking spot, you should get up earlier to get a spot. Even if you can't park right next to the building where your class is, a five minute walk will not kill you.

yeahIwin
08-15-2009, 12:00 PM
It is funny to hear the same complaints about parking that I did when I was in school. My deal was if you lived on campus, you should walk to class. I would tell the off campus students, if you can't find a parking spot, you should get up earlier to get a spot. Even if you can't park right next to the building where your class is, a five minute walk will not kill you.

exactly, good to see students now are just as lazy if not worse than when I was in school. Walking is GOOD for you. I lived on campus and had classes down at "Collegeview" (do they still call it that?) walked everyday.

Room Guy
08-15-2009, 02:00 PM
If you think it's too far to walk from the lot next to the football practice fields and you dont have a blue tag hanging from your rear view mirror, then maybe you have bigger problems then not showing up at class. I park there every day pull up have 5 spaces to my left 25 to my right put on my head phones and relax on a 5ish min walk to class. There is plenty of parking on campus people just have to get over the fact that the University isnt going to build a 6,000 space parking deck on the quad..... You might have to walk a lil bit.

Sorry guys it just annoys when I hear about the parking crisis on campus when there is non you just have to be inconvenienced a lil and realize that there are far more important things that the university needs to spend money on right now than a parking deck that isnt needed by any means.
That depends a lot on where your class is. If you're going to Hawkins or Smith, it's a bit more than a 5 minute walk. The problem is that parking shouldn't be a problem and wouldn't be if on-campus students just walked from their dorms.

sotsclarinet08
08-15-2009, 02:13 PM
They do. Yeah I agree that there are many on campus students that do that... But there are FAR more than don't. The MAIN issue is everyone wants a spot behind GAB and Wallace... They will circle the GAB/SAGA parking lot for 30 mins to an hour waiting for one. Once off campus students stop being lazy and go to the Trojan Center parking lot, Trojan Arena Parking lot, and even the practice field parking lots everything would work out. And whenever they finish the parking lot behind Hawkins Hall and Sartain that will help everyone that goes to Hawkins Hall and the School of Music/Smith Hall.

Heck even I admit to driving sometimes... Only on the weekends though. I hurt my back last night and so I decided to drive to Barnes & Noble to get my books today, that is fine in my opinion. But I do know students that drive all the time, it's mainly girls, no offense of course. Yeah we aren't bursting at the seems waiting on a parking deck... However, eventually we will. Troy is expected to be at least 10,000 at the Troy campus by 2010... I can guarantee you by then or a little later down the road we'll start having real issues with parking. I liked what another fan said on here a few weeks ago, about building a 2-3 story deck behind Wallace. It'd be perfect to get the teachers and staff out of the GAB parking lot and let all those lazy commuters pull right in. Who knows, I'm all for a parking deck... But not if that means delaying other campus projects like Alumni Hall and possibly new dorms.

fiesty_red
08-15-2009, 02:48 PM
I see a day coming when Freshmen won't be allowed to park on campus. I see a day when residents that do not park in resident assigned parking get towed. I see a day when a parking deck will be built. But that day may be far away.

I think resident Freshman not having on-campus parking would alleviate a lot of the trouble. Not so sure on the parking deck - those things ain't cheap to construct and there are probably better projects that money could go to.

Parking is always going to be a complaint, it always has been. But I just don't get why people (residents and commuters) think it's so unfair to have to *gasp* walk more than 50 feet to get to their classes. Heck, my last year I lived in the Honors Cottage and the majority of my classes were in Malone and I worked in the Library. That's pretty much all the way across campus and I managed to hike it while still getting to class on time. Quite often I'd go a week or more without even getting in my car all four years I was on campus. Double bonus - less money spent on gas & I got some exercise. What's wrong with that?

Room Guy
08-15-2009, 03:04 PM
I walked everywhere when I was in Slumni, and that's an uphill climb to anywhere else on campus except SAGA. Parking is always horrendous the first couple of weeks, but after the parking decals and tickets start getting issued, the problem usually subsides.

TroyFootball05
08-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Troy is expected to be at least 10,000 at the Troy campus by 2010... I can guarantee you by then or a little later down the road we'll start having real issues with parking.

Try going to school at Auburn. We don't realize how good we have it. At Auburn you have to walk everywhere.

Also, about extra parking lots...You guys do realize if we build another lot or two, people are just gonna park in the same spots anyway and the new lots will never really serve a purpose. You may see a tumble week roll through from time to time.

There's a reason why people park in the spots they do, it's convenient for them. Any new lots probably won't be as convenient as the ones we already have and will result in near empty lots. Sure, you'll have a parking space, but there's already a ton of places to park if you're willing to walk.

If you want convenience, get there early. If you arrive on campus at 7:45 everyday, you're guaranteed a spot in a lot of your choice. If you don't have a class until 11 or 12 (lucky you), leave your house early to drive around looking for a spot, you'll find one. Then proceed to walk to class.

SOTS_tuba
08-15-2009, 03:30 PM
That depends a lot on where your class is. If you're going to Hawkins or Smith, it's a bit more than a 5 minute walk. The problem is that parking shouldn't be a problem and wouldn't be if on-campus students just walked from their dorms.

I park there everyday and walk to gab it takes right around 5ish min at a brisk walk. Also students can plan accordingly. I leave my house 20 min before my class just in case and usually have enough time to spot by the book store for a drink before going on to class. Then again that's prob cause Mr. Ford has drilling the hurry up and wait philosophy into me for 4 years now.... and I'm glad he has cause it will serve me well for the rest of my life.

yeahIwin
08-15-2009, 04:36 PM
it is official. I'm old. I have no idea what the hell GAB is.

SOTS_tuba
08-15-2009, 04:45 PM
it is official. I'm old. I have no idea what the hell GAB is.

It's the General Academic Building, they build it in 05 I think. if your looking at Bibb Graves from the quad it's the one you see to the left down the hill a little bit before you get to the library.

I never really have understood why it took so long for the decals to get it.... It's not like the school didnt know the fall semester was about to start.

yeahIwin
08-15-2009, 08:21 PM
oh okay, I didn't know they had a "cute" name for it, that is where I park during the season...(see I don't mind a little bit of a walk.)

TROYgirl128
08-23-2009, 06:34 PM
I lived on campus all 4 years and didn't know any on-campus residents who drove to class. On the weekends, we might drive to SAGA, but never did any of us (of the people I know) drive to class... that's just ridiculous.

My biggest complaint was that I'd drive somewhere off-campus and come back only to find commuters in the residents' lot. I always thought resident spaces should be enforced 24 hours a day.

When I was there, Dr. Hawkins didn't want a parking structure because they are not aesthetically appealing. Living in Northern Virginia now, I can say with confidence that there are plenty of parking structures that actually look a lot like buildings. I agree with the poster who said that even if a garage is built, some people will still circle the SAGA lot and the Trojan Center lot for an hour instead of utilizing the garage (unless they build it on top of one of those lots).

TrojanGranger
08-24-2009, 08:38 PM
I lived in Married Student Housing, right next door to Don Atkins (points for those who remember that name). I had a Yamaha 200 scooter and drove it everywhere. I didn't need a parking permit. It was small enough I parked it anywhere and they let me. Even right outside the side door of Wallace Hall by WTSU-FM. 80 mpg and no parking problems.

Just an idea for those who are so inclined.

WhoaNellie!!!
08-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Troy students who live a reasonable distance from campus need to learn to walk and ride bikes like they do at a lot of big time schools. There's no reason for folks who live in Troy Place apartments or on sorority hill to drive to campus. Wake up people!

FliryVorru
08-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Troy students who live a reasonable distance from campus need to learn to walk and ride bikes like they do at a lot of big time schools. There's no reason for folks who live in Troy Place apartments or on sorority hill to drive to campus. Wake up people!

You're exactly right about that. I ended up losing my freshman 15 my senior year because I walked to school three times a week.

I gained it back in grad school, but nevermind that...

94IntegraDriver
08-28-2009, 11:02 PM
I have classes in GAB from 11:00am-1:50pm on MWF, and yes, the parking lots are crowded. However, I've found that if I leave my house (I live wayyy off campus) early and get on campus about 15 minutes before my classes start, I catch some people leaving their spaces in the lower Wallace lot at 10:50, and I nearly always find an empty spot to take.