PDA

View Full Version : Fiu cuts cheerleading from athletic budget

Navarre Trojan
06-26-2009, 08:37 AM
What is going on with this school? I just don't think they can continue to hold onto D-1 status in football (or any other sport) with what appears to be an apparent lack of funding or mis-appropriation of funding or something.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/5min/story/1114651.html

JonesOxygen
06-26-2009, 09:44 AM
No question, I think they will be out of business within 5 years.

FliryVorru
06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
"All FIU now has is a mascot and a dance team"

Who cuts a cheerleading squad but not a dance team. I don't pay attention to either one of them when I'm at a football game, but it seems logical to get rid of a dance squad before a (reportedly good) cheerleading squad.

OwlFamily
06-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Sad for FIU and will be another "Slam" against the Belt.

FAU caught flak for not bringing its Band/Cheerleaders to the Bowl Game, I cant imagine whats going to happen to FIU now that its been cut.

As painful as this is for me to say it, it may of been a mistake for FAU/FIU to move up SO quickly to FBS. While FAU has been competative in football, and FIU managed to get thiere stadium done, the rest of the support is JUST not there.

There is no tradition at either school, and no attachment to these things as a large majority of Alumni have no connection and hence dont give. If both schools can stay focused we will have some alumni around in 5-10 years who will of graduated from the school with Football/Bands as part of there college life and be in a financial position to contribute to those programs.

Keep in mind that the SunBelt ASKED FAU and FIU to accelerate there entry into FBS in order to keep the confrence viable. (Per a few arstatefn posts Ive read)

socrgoly25
06-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Who cuts a cheerleading squad but not a dance team. I don't pay attention to either one of them when I'm at a football game, but it seems logical to get rid of a dance squad before a (reportedly good) cheerleading squad.

Man, have you seen their dance team?

Before their football team began to turnover, I would find their dance team the main attraction. When I went to the FIU game down in Miami where we clinched our first Sun Belt title, if I wasn't watching the game, I was all about that dance team. To be honest, I don't even remember their cheerleaders.

Mr. Ho
06-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Cheerleaders are a waste....Song Girl are a necessity.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_YeVVfegW8Vc/R2I87aiBYyI/AAAAAAAAKGE/fKDrfWc-O4o/IMG_3623.JPG

How many times do they show the SoCal cheerleader during game? Answer: ZERO!

BMarkey
06-28-2009, 11:45 AM
Money can't be the entire reason these shortsighted cuts are being made. Cheerleading could become a club, for goodness sake!

The campus has lots of construction, the football stadium is new and growing larger. There is a new medical school.

:confused:

TROJANFAN26
06-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Hey Bob! Just wondering if you ever got around to making that DVD of the OK State vs. Troy game that was played @ MGVS?

Money can't be the entire reason these shortsighted cuts are being made. Cheerleading could become a club, for goodness sake!

The campus has lots of construction, the football stadium is new and growing larger. There is a new medical school.

:confused:

Troy87
07-07-2009, 01:55 PM
How messed up is this??????

FIU boasts over 38,000 students currently, with over 1,000 faculty. This is a school that can't afford $45K for their cheerleading squad?

Wow!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I say hire the cheerleading coach who has their squad ranked 4th nationally, and make Troy a much higher profile school for that area.

Good grief...no band....no cheerleaders....what kind of student life it must be at FIU.

JPSousa1898
07-07-2009, 06:08 PM
how messed up is this??????

Fiu boasts over 38,000 students currently, with over 1,000 faculty. This is a school that can't afford $45k for their cheerleading squad?

Wow!!!!!!!!!!

well, i say hire the cheerleading coach who has their squad ranked 4th nationally, and make troy a much higher profile school for that area.

good grief...no band....no cheerleaders....what kind of student life it must be at fiu.

great idea!!!!

ThePowerMan
07-07-2009, 06:52 PM
This reminds me of the movie "Revenge of the Nerds 2" when the dean/president is trying to control the school and is taking down the "happening crowd". Maybe he/she has something against buff cheerleaders with their six pack abs.