PDA

View Full Version : Uniforms

SOTS_tuba
06-23-2009, 02:37 AM
So this past year we got white pants, I'm curious if anyone's heard if the band is planning on replacing any other parts of the uniforms?

troy4ever
06-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Umm...I would doubt that they're planning on replacing any other parts. I mean...those jackets and coats are only just a few years old. The main reason Mr. Ford wanted white pants is because he feels the band looks larger with the white as opposed to the black. Me personally...I favor the black. But that's the biggest reason he changed to the white pants. I don't forsee him spending money to get new stuff right now. Especially when there's not really a need to at the time.

sotsclarinet08
06-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Yes I doubt any new uniform parts will be introduced. troy4ever is correct, Ford and also the "big whigs" wanted us to look bigger so they got us white pants. I personally love the white pants (march in white pants in high school). They not only make us look bigger but whenever everyone marches in step it looks fantastic from above, of course the side effect is if your marching incorrectly it magnifies it tremendously. And even if we were to get other new parts to the uniforms we couldn't afford them most likely, from what I was told the drumline marched the old black pants because we couldn't afford to get them white ones as well. So hopefully by this season we'll have some white ones for them. Not to mention the incoming freshmen class, we were told that we might reach 350!

JPSousa1898
06-23-2009, 02:14 PM
With the SOTS getting new percussion and the university replacing the old Sousaphones, I doubt the uniforms will be getting replaced any time soon.

goe1975
06-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Yes I doubt any new uniform parts will be introduced. troy4ever is correct, Ford and also the "big whigs" wanted us to look bigger so they got us white pants. I personally love the white pants (march in white pants in high school). They not only make us look bigger but whenever everyone marches in step it looks fantastic from above, of course the side effect is if your marching incorrectly it magnifies it tremendously. And even if we were to get other new parts to the uniforms we couldn't afford them most likely, from what I was told the drumline marched the old black pants because we couldn't afford to get them white ones as well. So hopefully by this season we'll have some white ones for them. Not to mention the incoming freshmen class, we were told that we might reach 350!

350 members?! Do you have to audition to be in the SOTS now or do you just sign up and you're in?

jgrimsley
06-23-2009, 03:17 PM
350 members?! Do you have to audition to be in the SOTS now or do you just sign up and you're in?

SOTS has never been audition based...it's always if you want to march, come on, there's a place for you.
(well, that's how I remember it)

Rette
06-23-2009, 04:26 PM

I don't know what the procedure is. But, it must be working. The SOTS has always been FIRST RATE!!! That's what we used to say when I was young. It means the same as AWESOME!!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u34/ggj2ns3/Troy%20100%20Years/100YearsTroy.jpg

sotsclarinet08
06-23-2009, 07:18 PM
That's why our motto is: "We have a place for you in the Sound!"

We had around 325 this past season so lose around 10 or 20 people (money issues, transfers, etc) then adding the incoming freshmen class, which I'm told is top notch. Round about figure from Mr. Ford, 350.

Lowbacca
06-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Wish the pants had a black stripe down the side - that would look insanely sharp. But I don't make decisions, I have to follow them. The only change that's happening is that members now have to buy their headgear.

trojanblood
06-23-2009, 10:47 PM
I wish when they changed the pants that they would have changed the sash to white as well. It would have a much nice looking to it and also change helmets back to what they use to be with the white plum. That would have totally stood out and would have made the band look taller and bigger.

SOTSButterfly
06-23-2009, 10:58 PM

Auxiliary (colorguard, Majorettes, dancers) have to audition. Instruments just sign up, I believe.

SOTS_tuba
06-24-2009, 02:11 AM
[QUOTE=trojanblood;119605]I wish when they changed the pants that they would have changed the sash to white as well. QUOTE]

Yea i agree i like the white pants but imho they kind of clash with the sash.

JPSousa1898
06-24-2009, 02:59 AM
I think anyone who remembers those white plumes will agree with me that they were the DEVIL to take care of. ONE rainstorm and they would nearly ruin if you didn't hang them up over night. My senior year, it rained at EVERY football game we played for during that season. I was beginning to think we were cursed.

FliryVorru
06-24-2009, 03:58 PM
I think anyone who remembers those white plumes will agree with me that they were the DEVIL to take care of. ONE rainstorm and they would nearly ruin if you didn't hang them up over night.

We had them on for the entirety of the walk to the stadium, playing at the alumni tents, and pre-game of the Silicon Valley Bowl in 2004. The next year they were gone. I think Ford finally had enough of those crappy things and I love him for it.

sotsclarinet08
06-24-2009, 04:06 PM
We had them on for the entirety of the walk to the stadium, playing at the alumni tents, and pre-game of the Silicon Valley Bowl in 2004. The next year they were gone. I think Ford finally had enough of those crappy things and I love him for it.

Haha i love our broom tops now =)

goe1975
06-24-2009, 10:33 PM
I think anyone who remembers those white plumes will agree with me that they were the DEVIL to take care of. ONE rainstorm and they would nearly ruin if you didn't hang them up over night. My senior year, it rained at EVERY football game we played for during that season. I was beginning to think we were cursed.

If they were like the plumes we wore in high school, every time it was even humid the feathers would stick up all over. Looked like you had a mad rooster on your head. lol!

JPSousa1898
06-24-2009, 10:42 PM
If they were like the plumes we wore in high school, every time it was even humid the feathers would stick up all over. Looked like you had a mad rooster on your head. lol!

Like a Gamecock? LOL!

trojanblood
07-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Like a Gamecock? LOL!

What do you guys think about TROY playing JSU again. The deal is in the works, are you guys ready to deal with what the rest of the alumni had to endure.

JPSousa1898
07-23-2009, 12:41 AM
What do you guys think about TROY playing JSU again. The deal is in the works, are you guys ready to deal with what the rest of the alumni had to endure.

I lived the last 3 years of it and endure it almost daily now as a grad student at JSU. BRING ON THE CHICKENS AND THE SOUTHERNERS! I've got my sousaphone ready!

Blow SOTS, Southerners SUCK! Blow Sousaphones, 20-J's SUCK!
WHUP JAX STATE!!!!