PDA

View Full Version : TROY TROJAN SHOWCASE (Illinois)

Mike Cunningham
06-15-2009, 05:03 PM
06/15/09

I will be posting updates and pictures on my super secret Trojan project. You should be able to guess as new pictures are posted. I'll have a little fun with it by NOT telling you what it is but letting you take guesses as you see the updates. I have started with three pictures of the beginning.

Have fun, and GO TROJANS!!!

Updated money spent: $312
Trojan hours spent: 33
Priceless? YOU DECIDE

FliryVorru
06-15-2009, 05:32 PM
My first guess: a Troy-themed bar in your house (beer & Troy sports = awesome)

Second, more logical guess: a Troy-themed flat-screen television viewing area.

I stand by my guesses.

JPSousa1898
06-16-2009, 02:52 AM
Trojan Rumpus room filled with enough media to keep your company saturated in Trojan goodness on Game Day... with a bar like Fliry said.

Mike Cunningham
06-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Updated the price and TROJAN hours after today.

Here are some updated pics.

The first one I swear is a very good gray for TROY, it doesn't show up well in the pic though.

The second one is just a different view.

The third one is my Univ of Illinois grad wife who has become a Trojan by marriage. She has encouraged and now helped out with the secret project. She has also joined as a member (Mrs. Hurdlelove) so please be nice to her.

And sorry about the blurriness of the fourth one (trojan red has begun) but it is of me, so it's probably better that way.

I'm out of town for the rest of the week, so no updates until maybe Sunday. Today was coat number two for the gray and coat number one of the red. We also did most of the trimming for gray and red. There is more to come, I hope you enjoy the updates of what will become.......well, that's the secret part.

Navarre Trojan
06-17-2009, 07:13 AM
I love the mirrors!!

Mike Cunningham
06-21-2009, 12:29 PM
I will take updated pictures tonight and attach them to this post. To give you a quick update the gray portion is all done except for some touch up edging, the red is giving us some fits though. I'm through the second coat, but I think we screwed the first coat up some.

Tonight I will be finishing up all the third coat and starting the electrical covers. I think we'll need four total coats on red, so I hope to have the fourth coats done either Monday or Tuesday night. Then we'll start with the black.

If you haven't read the new name of this thread yet, you will now find out that I'm making this as a TROY Trojan showcase for the Midwest. It is my hope that other Trojans will do something similar (no matter what state you live in) to help spread the word of our fine university. I will be showcasing what little TROY memorabillia I do have (Al Lucas memorial game jersey, NO Bowl autographed ball, 8x10 McKelvin autograph pic, three track championship rings, and some smaller stuff). I found out my father in law just got a huge (so he says) TROY rug to go on the floor. The corner of the room (where the mirrors are) is EXTREMELY hard to reach making the edging difficult to get done correctly, so I'm in the market for a TROY flag to hang there.

When it is complete, I will have a poll put up for the members of GoTroyTrojans.com to vote on the name of the room, which will then be put on a sign to go above the entrance to the museum, war room, library, hall of fame, (whatever YOU name it).

Hope you are enjoying the process of changing 'just another basement' into a room I hope will affect some people to become Trojan fans even if they didn't attend our fine little university. I know my father in law is now a Trojan fan. I was also deeply touched by Cattouse's story (If you haven't read it, read it HERE (http://gotroytrojans.blogspot.com/2009/05/introduction-from-recruiting-guru.html)) that showed me you don't have to attend TROY to become a valued fan and member of the TROJAN family.

Mike Cunningham
06-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Just finished the third coat of red and it does look better. I will need a fourth (hopefully not a fifth coat). I will do the edging of the gray tomorrow night and then the fourth coat of red on Tuesday.

I had to get some motivation today so I hooked the spare tv up and put in the NO Bowl versus Rice on it. Man, we killed those guys! Really cool to see Boris as a freshman.

I took some pictures for all to see, but my computer is at work and Mrs. Hurdlelove's computer doesn't take my cameras memory card. So I'll have to do that tomorrow night.

THe night is still young, so I might (MIGHT) do the gray edging tonight, but I'm tired from all the work travel and haven't had time to spend any time with Mrs. Hurdlelove, so I may give it a rest for the night and do the edging tomorrow night.

Sorry I couldn't post the pics up tonight, I know you are desperatly waiting for them :rolleyes:.

Hope you are enjoying the journey and support the reasoning behind this project.

Dothan_Trojan97
06-21-2009, 09:13 PM
It will turn out fine. As some of you remember I did my 5 year-old son's room as a Trojan themed room. It was a labor of love and my son loves it. And yes the red (cardinal) takes 4-5 coats to look good. If we all keep promoting Troy we will see the Trojan Nation grow bigger and stronger every year.

GO TROY!

sotsclarinet08
06-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Decided to delete this post and don't know how to... ha

Dothan_Trojan97
06-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Hurdle,
When I did my son's room I contacted Chuck Ash, the Head Trainer at Troy, and got the name of the company that they used for getting the various Trojan graphics and logos in the new training room. I called them and special ordered two logos in the removable vinyl (like the Fathead ones you can get), that way I could play around with the layout of the room.

Also, I might be able to give you some helpful hints if you have questions as you paint, tape, etc. I have included a link to the video so you can see the logos that I had ordered for his room. I think the name of the company is Signs Now and they are located in Montgomery. They do have a website if you want to google it and contact them. But they are licensed through the University and have ALL the possible logos you could want.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvrmVhgig9Q

Mike Cunningham
06-21-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the name of the company with the logos (Signs Now) and, uhm, HOLY CRAP! The paint job on that room is amazing! The pinstripes!!! You have WAY more patience then I do. I will not be doing pin stripes.

You sir did an AWESOME job! If any of you out there have not seen that youtube video, do so now!

I am calling all Trojans to start their summer projects!! While it doesn't have to be an entire room, it can be a wall in the basement, it can be the garage door, it can be a section of a spare bedroom. Anything, heck everything! Show your Trojan pride and show others why we are so passionate about this great university.

Dothan Trojan thank you again for sharing this. That is great great stuff.

Mike Cunningham
06-23-2009, 07:30 PM
The fourth coat of red is done and me and Mrs. Hurdlelove are humming right along. The gray is done (I think). So I'm gone for the week starting tomorrow and then the week after that I've got some work commitments that will keep me from working down there until after July 4th.

Updates after that.

Enjoy the 4th everyone!

Mike Cunningham
07-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Hope everyone had a great fourth of July! I'm back at it now. I've updated costs and man hours up to tonight. Tonight we've gone and bought black lightswitch covers to contrast with the red and gray walls.

Mrs. Hurdlelove paint taped the edges of all the gray portions of the door molding and the upper limit of the black line (very challenging).

We just got back from getting those black lightswitch covers, another quart of paint for the last coat of red, another roller, and two paint brushes for the black. We'll put the lightswitches up on the gray side tonight (only 2 out of the 20 or so in the room) and straighten out the top part of the future black stripe.

It's raining and I heard you shouldn't paint when it's raining because of the humidity. Let me know if I'm full of crap with that idea floating in my head.

Tomorrow I'll put down the last coat of red. Then Thursday will be the bottom part of the black stripe, finishing touches on red (in the corners). Maybe start the black Thurs or Fri night, try to finish off the stripe this weekend with the ultimate goal of getting the molding done by Sunday night (that might be wishful thinking).

Also, thank you to Dothan Trojan 97. I got ahold of Signs Now and I'm getting an email of all my options which I will sift through as soon as I get the email. That will be very cool to have.

Pictures will be uploaded when I have some of the black on the wall for the stripe.

Also, purchased my tickets for the BGSU game!!!! Very excited. Booked the hotel, reserved vacation time! Who's with me?!!?!?!?

Mike Cunningham
07-09-2009, 09:11 PM
We have black!!!! Just not like I thought.

The final (hopeful) red coat is down. Still have to do the bottom of the red near the bottom molding, but that's later.

Finished the red and moved on to the molding around the doors. Pictures attached. First one is Mrs. Hurdlelove getting into the action. Then the dog (Bear) was hanging out, watching us. The other pics are the upper molding on the doors that we did.

The black line has changed some. Mrs. Hurdlelove had the excellent idea to get a strip of black wallpaper to use instead of paint. EXCELLENT IDEA! That will be MUCH easier. So we bought that tonight but since the red is still wet some, we'll tackle that either tomorrow or Saturday.

Next up is maybe the second coat of black, let the red cure for another day or so. Maybe we can attack some of the bottom of the red tomorrow for sure.

GO TROJANS.

Dothan_Trojan97
07-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Looks like the room is coming together. The black wall paper is a good idea. I used a black "craft" tape to do the pinstriping in my son's room. Here is a helpful hint: Use a laser level to get the line for the wall paper straight and level. Make a pencil mark every few feet along the laser line. Then connect the marks with a VERY straight edge. Then laying down the wallpaper along the line will be much, much easier.
Do not try to free-hand, or eyeball anything because not only will it not be level, it will never meet in the corners correctly. Also, use a point to start with that you can duplicate around the room, such as 36 inches from the top of the base board or something along that line. That way you can maintain the line all the way around the room and it be uniform. Hope this helps.

GO TROJANS!

Mike Cunningham
07-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Dothan Trojan 97 has us (me and Mrs. Hurdlelove) rolling right along.

As you can see, we have started the black line across the room. Laser measurerers are AWESOME. We did 50% of the room with the black 3.5" strip. We bought the only four packs of black border wallpaper, so we'll have to go back tomorrow and get four more if they got them in.

Tonight we'll go back and touch up the top part of the door moldings that are black. They are essentially done, just have to touch up here and there. We'll also continue the bottom part of the red and the corners.

Tomorrow we'll continue the red on the bottom and corners and hopefully have that done.

Next step after we finish the black border (we'll finish that tomorrow if Menard's has them in stock) is paint taping the bottom part of the molds and if we finish the bottom part of the red, paint taping the bottom so we can start the bottom molding.

As you can see in the pics, one is showing the black stripe and the electric covers uncovered, the other one is Mrs. Hurdlelove, and the third is the black stripe with the black electric covers.

The fourth is showing the stripe going into the bar where the mirrors are.

What do you think so far?

FliryVorru
07-12-2009, 07:25 PM
The room's looking great, man. The final product is going to be done by football season, yes?

Mrs. Hurdlelove's look is priceless... "Yay, he's got the camera out so we're done for the day!"

Mrs. Hurdlelove
07-12-2009, 09:03 PM
I thought we were done for the day... apparently on Sundays we can do TWO rounds in the basement. So back down we go at 9 PM... but you were right on with my thoughts earlier!

Yes... this better (I mean will) be done by football season!!!
I hear we only have 50-some days to make it happen based on the countdown on the frontpage!

Dothan_Trojan97
07-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Hurdle, it's looking good so far.

I have found out two things everytime I re-do a room. 1) It always takes longer than I had planned (extra coat of red, need more supplies, etc), and 2) I learn something that will make the next room I tackle a little bit easier. I have done three rooms in my house: the living room, my son's Trojan room, and lastly my daughter's "flower/butterfly/princess" room. Each room turned out a bit better and easier because I learned from previous mistakes, ...errr, ......ummmm.....I mean experiences.

illini1022
07-13-2009, 12:25 AM
(delete)

Mike Cunningham
07-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Quick update before dinner at the bossman's house.

Started on the bottom molding today. It looks fantastic with the black there instead of the white. Got half way done and will finish tonight when I get home.

Tomorrow will be finishing up the black stripe wallpaper (border) and double coating the bottom molding. I expect after some red touch up (the black border stripe causes that) this project could be finished next weekend.

Then it's putting stuff up. I have some neat ideas that I think will be original and add something special to the room. If anyone has anything they want to donate or sell (donate!) let me know.

First pic is in the corner showing you the double black (middle stripe and the freshly painted molding.

Second pic is Chezney mugging for the camera. This image shows you one side that has the black stripe in the middle but the other doesn't. While one side has the black molding on the bottom just done and the other doesn't.

Mike Cunningham
07-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Black stripe is DONE!

Second coat on the baseboards is DONE!

Start of the red touch up is, well STARTED!

Done for the night. Headed to Hobby Lobby for some investigation of a project within this project. Tomorrow and the rest of this week will be for 3rd coat (touch up) of the baseboard and more touch up coats on the red (where it meets the black stripe).

Thank you for all your help Mrs. Hurdlelove!

Mike Cunningham
08-02-2009, 06:55 PM
The room is OFFICIALY DONE! I'll post pictures in the next couple of days once I get all (I don't have much) the items on the wall, but the painting is done!

sotsclarinet08
08-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Congrats! Can't wait to see how it turned out.

Mike Cunningham
08-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Done! Finished! Looks good? You tell me.

The first picture is coming down the stairs to the basement. I forgot I had this poster rolled up. This is the F-16 (or whatever it is) poster with Omar at the helm of the V. Thought this would be a great first impression.

The 2nd pic is the new collection of Trojan Pro cards. If wanted I will take a closer pic of this so you can see. There are some real fascinating card including a 1958 Fred Hatfield baseball card.

3rd pic: this pic on the left is the article that was done in the local paper after I bought the website. The pic on the right is a Leo autographed pic that I think looks fantastic with the red frame and the black matte (sp?).

4th pic: I framed up my old business card when I was the asst track coach at TSU. I am very proud that I graduated and worked at Troy State so I've always kept this card through all my moves and travels.

5th pic: This is the TSU flag I got from Big Lots in H'ville. I can't remember the board member's name who tipped me off on this, but I can't thank him/her enough!

The next step in the room is to get some kind of display case all the other small (yet important stuff) i.e. mini-helmet, mini-towel, Coke bottle commemorating national championship, conference championship rings, etc. I think the wife has something from Ikea in Chicago in mind.

I hope you've enjoyed this journey with me. I really do think it'll influence some people around here to start following and enjoying our Trojan teams. While they may pull for the University of Illinois first around here, there is room for them to enjoy a real team!!!! (Mrs. Hurdlelove might kill me for that line since she's an alum). U of I is my 2nd team, baby!!!

Enjoy. I've posted a poll that you the board members get to vote for the actual name of this room. Once the vote is settled (the poll closes the day before the season opener versus BGSU) Mrs. Hurdlelove and I will be looking to get a custom professional sign made that will be displayed on the overhang going downstairs to the room.

FliryVorru
08-05-2009, 10:38 PM
First off, it looks awesome. Well done!

Secondly, for practical reasons I like the name Trojanville. Simple and concise.

Thirdly, I'm thinking abstractly on the name I thought of immediately, though I'm not sure if it's "practical" per say.

I think you should give it a name that has a story behind it so it creates conversation. I say call it Alba Longa. The Trojans lead by Aeneas fled to the mouth of the Tigris River in southeast Italy when they left Troy after the Trojan War. They followed the river to a place where they founded Alba Longa with the marriage of the daughter of another king to Aeneas.

I know it's really abstract... the journey away from Troy... making a home... woman from another area... It's love it or hate it, I'm sure.

Mike Cunningham
08-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Alba Longa....I like it. That's the kind of ideas I knew I could count on from the membership. Keep up the great ideas!!!

Dothan_Trojan97
08-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Hurdle,
It looks like the room came together nicely. If you need odds and ends to put up on the walls, the Screentech Store in Dothan has pretty good stuff. Let me know what you might be interested in and I can check into it for you. I work about a mile away from the store and go by periodically to see "what's new." I also plan on being at Fan Day again this year to get some of the pics I ordered for my son's room autogtraphed. If I see anything intersting I'll keep you in mind. I'll do anything I can do to help and promote my beloved Troy University, especially in hostile territory like Illinois.

Mike Cunningham
08-26-2009, 07:18 AM
"Enjoy. I've posted a poll that you the board members get to vote for the actual name of this room. Once the vote is settled (the poll closes the day before the season opener versus BGSU) Mrs. Hurdlelove and I will be looking to get a custom professional sign made that will be displayed on the overhang going downstairs to the room."

Coming down to the last few days on the poll. It's neck and neck with the Museum and Trojanville. Get your last few votes in....BGSU is around the corner (finally!).

94IntegraDriver
08-31-2009, 05:05 PM
That newspaper article was in the Eufaula Trib? That's kinda cool, since E-Town is my hometown (when I'm not in school, of course)!

Mike Cunningham
08-31-2009, 06:03 PM
Yeah I'm an E-Town grad of 94. You?

94IntegraDriver
08-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Graduated EHS in '08, and was SO glad to get out of Eufaula and move to the "big city" of Troy, lol!

Mike Cunningham
09-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Trojanville, USA wins!!