Pep Band for BGSU
Full Band for Florida
Pep Band for Ark State
Full Band for Donthan Marching Festival
Pep Band for FIU
Pep Band for WKU
To Be Announced/Pep Band for Arkansas**
Full Band for La. Lafayette

**The University of Arkansas trip to Fayatteville, AR is pending at this time.

And Homecoming is the Oct 24 North Texas game, kinda early isn't it...?

JPSousa1898
06-13-2009, 01:14 AM
No... that's about typical for HC. Late Oct, Early Nov.

sotsclarinet08
06-13-2009, 01:45 AM
Yes i know, for me it has always been November. Last year at troy nov and all through high school in nov. so i found it rather odd.

but none the less. its a good date and a good easy win for us =)

I do hope that they decided to take the whole Sound to Arkansas... that would be cool to go to 2 SEC schools and blow down their bands lol... And also Arkansas was the 06 recipient of the Sudler Trophy, so when we show them up and Florida, maybe the Sousa Foundation will look intro Troy. Someone needs to call them and say hey you guys need to have represenatives at these games to see the Sound in full force, perhaps we could get the Sudler Trophy at long last!

sotsclarinet08
06-13-2009, 01:54 AM
I just looked and Dr. Long is on the Sudler Trophy Selection Committee!!

FliryVorru
06-13-2009, 12:07 PM
JP hit it on the head. Since i was there it was always the last week or so of October into very early November. I think the latest homecoming I've been to was a November 4th game.

Also, Dr. Long's been on the Sudler Trophy committee for a while and word on the band room floor is that we've ben getting votes for several years now. I think it's only a matter of time before we get it. Western Carolina finally got it this year so I'm very happy for them. There may be a few more bands that get in line before us (like the Ohio 110, Grambling State, California, etc.) but I don't see why we won't win it before the end of the next decade. This is a very exciting time!

sotsclarinet08
06-13-2009, 12:49 PM
JP hit it on the head. Since i was there it was always the last week or so of October into very early November. I think the latest homecoming I've been to was a November 4th game.

Also, Dr. Long's been on the Sudler Trophy committee for a while and word on the band room floor is that we've ben getting votes for several years now. I think it's only a matter of time before we get it. Western Carolina finally got it this year so I'm very happy for them. There may be a few more bands that get in line before us (like the Ohio 110, Grambling State, California, etc.) but I don't see why we won't win it before the end of the next decade. This is a very exciting time!

Any reason why there wasn't a 2008 winner? Some of the sites I visited had 07 Indiana and 09 WCU...??

Hearing that makes it all worth while! I didn't know we were getting some votes going around. I'm glad that we are fortunate enough to have someone on the committee from Troy State/University! I know that Ohio 110, Grambling, and others are on the list but I think we should be in line for it sometime soon, ha at least I hope we are. It'd be so cool to be in the band when we receive it! I read that not only do all past and present directors get their own plaques, band members get certificates or something, pretty exciting stuff!

Anyways, sorry for going out on a limb there. I hope that they chose to take the full band to Arkansas, it'd be cool to blow down 2 SEC stadiums in one season! =)

FliryVorru
06-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Any reason why there wasn't a 2008 winner?

I have no idea and I can't even venture a guess.

troy4ever
06-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Eh...the Sudler Trophy is overrated.

JPSousa1898
06-13-2009, 03:50 PM
From my understanding, we are not eligible for the Sudler because Dr. Long is on the committee. That would be a conflict of interest. That's just what I heard though.

sotsclarinet08
06-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Perhaps, but other schools that have won have directors on the committee. So who knows? And if that's the case, that's a stupid reason... I can see if you have 3 or 4 on the committee but not 1...

trojanblood
06-14-2009, 04:11 PM
From what I have been told on the past, the Dr. Long has been on the suddler committee before. Whenever a past or present band director of a college progam is on the committee, that particular band can not be voted on. Also Suddler is very political, it seems the same bands always win i.e Texas, U of T, JMU, Auburn, Alabama....etc.

jgrimsley
06-14-2009, 08:44 PM
College bands can only receive the Sudler award one time...if you look at the list, you'll see no band receiving the award twice.
Dr. Long has been on the committee for at least 20 years...I remember seeing his name on Sousa Foundation letterhead then. (The Sousa Foundation is the organization that organizes the Sudler Awards, as well as the Sousa National Junior and Senior High School Honors Bands.)
I might be incorrect, and please someone correct me if I am mistaken, but every Division 1 College Band Director has one vote for who they would like to recieve the Sudler. I am not sure if the committee takes the top 10, top 5 vote receivers or if it is done another way. I do know that the award winner is announced every year at MidWest in Chicago.

If I have misquoted information, please feel free to correct.

FliryVorru
06-14-2009, 08:55 PM
I am not sure if the committee takes the top 10, top 5 vote receivers or if it is done another way.

I'm not 100% on that either, but I was under the impression that the band with the most votes gets it and that's it. I very well could be wrong, though.

Other than that you have everything correct, as far as I know.

JPSousa1898
06-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Gotta say JGrim, you're pretty much on from what I remember as well. Personally, I am glad that Dr. Long has been on the committee for so long. It is an added prestige for our great band program's legendary founder and it gives the SOTS a brighter star in the band firmament.

SOTSButterfly
06-14-2009, 10:49 PM

When I was at Troy, it was always the end of October. I know because my birthday is Oct. 27 and Homecoming was always around that time. The year my birthday was actually on Saturday, the band had the Homecoming parade, the Homecoming game, and then we went to a high school band competition and played an exhibition that included both of our shows. I about died. Happy birthday to me.

I also never go to do the break on my birthday because of Homecoming. The only time I ever got to do the break was with all of the graduating seniors at our last game. :P

JPSousa1898
06-15-2009, 01:47 AM
I also never go to do the break on my birthday because of Homecoming. The only time I ever got to do the break was with all of the graduating seniors at our last game. :P

Ditto! Part of the reason was because I have a summer birthday, but I guess I just never impressed the drum majors enough to get the break. Oh well!

FliryVorru
06-15-2009, 02:25 AM

I was lucky enough to be able to do it twice. The first time was on the last day of band camp my freshman year, Calvin Scott gave it to me at the suggestion of John Mitcham. What an awesome intro to the band and to both organizations, KKPsi and PMA respectively.

The other time was on my birthday, which is usually in the summer, but August 4 was the first day of band camp in 2007. Jeremy Leach told Mr. Ford we had a birthday that day and Ford says to Jeremy "We're short on time... but who is it?" Jeremy says "Robert Martin" to which Ford promptly replies "Well good grief we have to sing to Robert Martin. Hurry up and get up there Robert!"

Best... band... moment... ever...

MusicMan
06-16-2009, 03:05 PM
I kno that this is way at the beginning of the thread, but I was under the impression that neither the full Sound or the Pep Band was going to Ark. They don't want to be shown up on the football field and on the band field in one day, especially on their homecoming.

sotsclarinet08
06-16-2009, 03:17 PM
I kno that this is way at the beginning of the thread, but I was under the impression that neither the full Sound or the Pep Band was going to Ark. They don't want to be shown up on the football field and on the band field in one day, especially on their homecoming.

Yes we were told this, but as the schedule states, both the full Sound and pep band are a toss up to go to the game. So either way thats fantastic, 2 SEC schools in one season. Great publicity for the school, having an amazing football team and THE SOUND OF THE SOUTH blow away a almighty SEC band... ha

Kinda funny how I was born and raised in Arkansas and I don't even support their team and besides I've lived in Georgia for 6 years so I don't really consider myself a Arkansan anymore...

JPSousa1898
06-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Yes we were told this, but as the schedule states, both the full Sound and pep band are a toss up to go to the game. So either way thats fantastic, 2 SEC schools in one season. Great publicity for the school, having an amazing football team and THE SOUND OF THE SOUTH blow away a almighty SEC band... ha

Kinda funny how I was born and raised in Arkansas and I don't even support their team and besides I've lived in Georgia for 6 years so I don't really consider myself a Arkansan anymore...

In all likelyhood, the Pep Band will be going since it is their HC. Most colleges do not schedule hard teams or teams that will bring a full and/or big band on HC because they want that "easy win" that can come from not having the opposing band there to rally the team or the fans. Arky is taking a gamble by bringing in Troy right now, and I would imagine that they're going to request that the full SOTS stay home. That's just my opinion though.

sotsclarinet08
06-16-2009, 07:40 PM
In all likelyhood, the Pep Band will be going since it is their HC. Most colleges do not schedule hard teams or teams that will bring a full and/or big band on HC because they want that "easy win" that can come from not having the opposing band there to rally the team or the fans. Arky is taking a gamble by bringing in Troy right now, and I would imagine that they're going to request that the full SOTS stay home. That's just my opinion though.

Not being a jerk or trying to start stuff but it was LSU's homecoming and the full SOTS was there. But I get what your saying. I wouldn't like it if someone came and beat us and also brought an enormous band, so it's understandable. Just stating what it said in the schedule, I think it meant that the pep band is a toss up for going, but maybe the whole band, who knows.

TroyTrojanNYC
06-16-2009, 09:55 PM
I wouldn't like it if someone came and beat us and also brought an enormous band, so it's understandable.

And just WHAT enormous band exists that could come into MGVS and blow away THE Sound???

I SUPPOSE another "enormous" band could come into Troy and hold their own with the SOTS, but "showing up" (as implied it seems) the Sound??? Not gonna happen.

sotsclarinet08
06-16-2009, 10:05 PM
And just WHAT enormous band exists that could come into MGVS and blow away THE Sound???

I SUPPOSE another "enormous" band could come into Troy and hold their own with the SOTS, but "showing up" (as implied it seems) the Sound??? Not gonna happen.

I wasn't referring to Troy. I was saying it from their point of view. Never would I imply that any band can blow away the Sound. And even if an enormous band would come to MGVS, we'd never get their football team here lol...