PDA

View Full Version : Tony Franklin breaks silence (Montgomery Advertiser)

Trojan2003
06-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Ex-coordinator Tony Franklin breaks silence
-> http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20090605/NLETTER02/90605029

Josh Moon ē jmoon@gannett.com ē June 5, 2009

Tony Franklin has never been one to chase the spotlight.

The former Auburn and Troy offensive coordinator views fame as a burden that inhibits his straightforward, matter-of-fact personality. Heís the kind of guy who doesnít want a pat on the back or to be told that heís great. He just wants a little privacy.

Which is why heís doing fine at Middle Tennessee State University.

"Iíve been here a few months now and I donít think Iíve been recognized once," said Franklin, who was hired as the Blue Raidersí offensive coordinator in February. "I can go out and have a beer somewhere and not worry about winding up on the Internet the next day.

"I donít have to worry about all the crap you face in the SEC with its ridiculous, nit-picky rules and regulations on everything you do. Iím a guy who likes to walk down the street and not have to worry all the time about people watching me, waiting on me to screw up. I have that here."

Thatís a much different life than the one he had this time a year ago, when he was in the middle of a 10-month stint as Auburnís offensive coordinator.

Franklin was hired by former AU head coach Tommy Tuberville in December 2007 to revamp the Tigersí offense, taking it from an old-school, smash-mouth style to an uptempo, quick-pass spread.

From the start, Franklin had his doubts.

By making the switch, the AU program would be abandoning a running game that had been the programís identity Ė a move that was sure to unnerve a large portion of fans. And Franklin, who said he almost broke off his first interview with Tuberville just 10 minutes in, had deep doubts that his style of his coaching, along with his personality, would work on The Plains.

He was right on both counts.

But what he never expected was to find an athletic department and football program so riddled with turmoil.

"It was the most unusual place Iíve ever been," Franklin said of the Auburn program. "No one liked anybody else. There was this deep distrust of everybody. The coaches didnít trust the administration, the administration didnít trust each other or the coaches. It was very strange and very unnerving. You would walk down the halls and there would be tension you could just feel. No one would speak to you or even look at you. The coaches were all paranoid and didnít trust anyone in the administration. They all felt like the administration was out to get them and they stressed out over everything that happened."

For the complete story of Franklin reflecting on his time at Auburn go to Saturdayís Montgomery Advertiser or montgomeryadvertiser.com

Other topics addressed:

ó On Franklin and James Willis being the two outsiders of the Auburn staff

ó How they knew the Tigersí reign over the Tide was ending with Nick Sabanís arrival

ó On how the Auburn athletic department uses the Christian faith as a "crutch" and many of those people are just "fakes"

Burn the Horse
06-05-2009, 05:45 PM
funny how Alabama fans are the only ones chimming in at the bottom.

TrojanEmpire
06-05-2009, 05:58 PM
funny how Alabama fans are the only ones chimming in at the bottom.

That's is pretty much the common practice. Bammer fans pile on the Aubies when stuff like this comes out and vice versa.

JPSousa1898
06-05-2009, 08:18 PM
I hope and pray our Trojans never fall prey to this kind of mentality. Being a class act is a trademark of Troy and though we've made our slip-ups, I feel confident in saying that the "average" Troy fan appreciates the compliments that people give our team and band.

I hope that MTSU will work with Franklin and that he finds happiness working for them.

ThePowerMan
06-06-2009, 10:39 AM
I hope that MTSU will work with Franklin and that he finds happiness working for them.

Just not SUCCESS> I like TF but I feel like he dumped us for my twin brother. (And I don't even have a brother).

TroyTrojanNYC
06-06-2009, 11:25 AM
Here's a link to the FULL six-page article:

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090606/SPORTS0402/906060343&s=d&page=2#pluckcomments

trojanbrutha
06-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Poor ULM...he's gonna own them at yet another school...but it won't happen to 'the excellence of execution' (Brett Hart reference)...let's go TROY!

TrojanDogg
06-06-2009, 03:43 PM
How dare Troy even try to put themselves at the level of 'Bama or Auburn. They aren't woth our time which is why we won't play them in football

sincerely, Auburn and Alabama administrators, coaches and fans

trojanbrutha
06-06-2009, 04:19 PM
How dare Troy even try to put themselves at the level of 'Bama or Auburn. They aren't woth our time which is why we won't play them in football

It's so wonderful how those two could put their differences aside for just a little while to draft that letter...what class acts? yeah right...:rolleyes:

FliryVorru
06-06-2009, 04:50 PM

Alabama P.S. - Because of your insolence, we have decided not to play you in Baseball next year and perhaps never again. Perhaps in a decade or so, if you grovel enough, we'll grace you with a game.

Auburn P.S. - We still want to play you in baseball, though, because our RPI's help each other out, regardless of who wins. We may even need to start playing your in basketball, so keep an eye on your mailbox for that offer.

TrojanEmpire
06-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Alabama P.S. - Because of your insolence, we have decided not to play you in Baseball next year and perhaps never again. Perhaps in a decade or so, if you grovel enough, we'll grace you with a game.

Auburn P.S. - We still want to play you in baseball, though, because our RPI's help each other out, regardless of who wins. We may even need to start playing your in basketball, so keep an eye on your mailbox for that offer.

I'm pretty sure we are scheduled to play Auburn in basketball next year.

Hemi Man
06-07-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm pretty sure we are scheduled to play Auburn in basketball next year.

Yes. Sometime early in the season.

http://www.dothaneagle.com/dea/troy_blog/comments/basketball_update_maestri_hoping_for_postseason_in vite/62976/

bigguyonright
06-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Bammer refuses to play us in football because they were powned by ulm who is normally dominated by our beloved trojans, so therefore they dont want to get owned, which probably given the chance could happen. look at what Utah's spread did the the tide

tntrojan
06-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Atlanta radio station did an interview with TF yesterday (Tuesday). Troy is mentioned, but not very much. Worth a listen to hear how TF feels he was treated during his time on the Plains. Definitely no love lost between TF and Tubbers.

http://www.680thefan.com/audio/Tony%20Franklin%20CNC%20061609.mp3