PDA

View Full Version : Any Idea on the Show

JCTroy75
06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Has anybody heard what charts the SOTS will be using for their shows this year? I was also wondering how many will be in the band this season. Last year they were well over 300.

sotsclarinet08
06-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Has anybody heard what charts the SOTS will be using for their shows this year? I was also wondering how many will be in the band this season. Last year they were well over 300.

Ford told us on the last day of Concert Band that we will be around 350 this year, we have a lot of new and good incoming freshmen! As far as the show, no word yet. I can't wait to find out what it is! Oh and last year we capped at 325 or 330 I think.

Psitech
06-05-2009, 11:57 AM
If it does turn out to be 350, that would be the largest SOTS has ever been. This would be awesome!

MusicMan
06-05-2009, 12:06 PM
if we end up at 350 there's no way that we'll fit in the band room and that ppl in Trojan Village will sleep when the Fanfare is being played, or anything for that matter.

sotsclarinet08
06-05-2009, 12:46 PM
if we end up at 350 there's no way that we'll fit in the band room and that ppl in Trojan Village will sleep when the Fanfare is being played, or anything for that matter.

Ha we don't even fit in the band room now. We rarely ever go in there, heck we didn't at all last fall. And as far as the Trojan Village students; its funny hearing stories from them in class. They don't mind it just that it's kinda annoying at times, but they still love us.

MusicMan
06-05-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm sure it makes them mad, and I know we don't fit, it was a pain in the butt to do Drum Major auditions in there, it was so freaking hot. I'd love if we got up to 350 though, more LOW BRASS!

sotsclarinet08
06-05-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm sure it makes them mad, and I know we don't fit, it was a pain in the butt to do Drum Major auditions in there, it was so freaking hot. I'd love if we got up to 350 though, more LOW BRASS!

Yeah... It was hot during DM auditions, but well worth it, Josh and Gene will do a great job this year! But hey it's the band's fault for having Trojan Village built there haha, and if i wasn't in the band and I lived there I would love it. Anyways. I hope we get more low brass, NO MORE TRUMPETS PLEASE! ha... Yeah we could use more woodwinds but hey let's face it, we aren't the shinning star in the SOTS, lol. I know it but I still love what I do as a clarinet player.

Hey and at least Smith is getting a major overhaul! Man it looks great so far, I'm gonna be heading by later today to take more pictures. If you aren't here for summer then go check out the pics I already took in the Trojan News category they should be under Smith Renovation.

TroyTuba
06-05-2009, 03:49 PM
The band is going to be big again this year, Mr. Ford told me that they already had 26 tubas preregistered as well as 16 mellos. Stopped by the band room today and there was a brand new set of Pearl marching drums being put together, so that will be exciting for the drumline.

sotsclarinet08
06-05-2009, 07:24 PM
The band is going to be big again this year, Mr. Ford told me that they already had 26 tubas preregistered as well as 16 mellos. Stopped by the band room today and there was a brand new set of Pearl marching drums being put together, so that will be exciting for the drumline.

Oh yeah my friend Xyluss is a new member of the drumline and they sent out letters to them and Dr. Blackstock mention that they got all new battery equipment. That's awesome. And great to hear that 26 sousas have already pre-registered. I remember back in high school counting all the tubas in the Sound at festivals my band would go to lol. And also great for the Mellos, we really needed more last year, but they still did a great job. Only 90 more days till football/marching season, well a lot less if you include marching band.

FortTroy
06-05-2009, 07:51 PM
The closer this year is probably going to be Whipping Post by the Allman Brothers and probably a Santana medley for the another tune.

Also, Band Day will be on Halloween so we will be playing a medley of Halloween tunes when all the kids are on the field.

JPSousa1898
06-05-2009, 08:06 PM
It's awesome to hear that the SOTS really will be bigger and better this year than ever before. 26 Sousaphones is awesome... we longed for a "Case o' Bass" when I was in school and you guys have it. 16 mellos are going to blow the stands down, I don't think we ever had more than 9 when I was marching.

Woodwinds, step it up even more! If you listen to older recordings of the SOTS, they gave the brass a run for their money. Clarinets and Piccs, we want to hear more of you, you're the sizzle on our steak, listen for yourself.

The alumni are proud of you current SOTS! Keep working to make the SOTS the best band in the land.

To Mr. Ford and Drs. Walker and Blackstock, GREAT JOB!!!!!

FliryVorru
06-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Woodwinds, step it up even more! If you listen to older recordings of the SOTS, they gave the brass a run for their money.

Heck yeah man. Just check out CD and listen to 2004's Sweet Georgia Brown. That was an epic Saxophone section (I can't remember the exact number, but the number 36 is sticking out in my head) and that arrangement by Shane Porter was phenomenal. The end result was standing ovations on both coasts.

TroyDrum89
06-06-2009, 05:29 PM
And as far as the Trojan Village students; its funny hearing stories from them in class. They don't mind it just that it's kinda annoying at times, but they still love us.

I lived in a T-Ville room facing Alumni (opposite of the band field) and I STILL heard the fanfare, loud and clear. It's awesome every time, except sometimes on game days when the Sound is warming up at 8 in the freakin' morning.

MusicMan
06-06-2009, 11:28 PM
that sounds like a really cool show, unfortunately, I won't be apart of it this year...I will be back in the Fall of 2010 and can't wait till I'm back in good ole T-Roy

JPSousa1898
06-07-2009, 12:06 AM
that sounds like a really cool show, unfortunately, I won't be apart of it this year...I will be back in the Fall of 2010 and can't wait till I'm back in good ole T-Roy

Hurry back man! The longer you're out, the harder it is to come back!

MusicMan
06-07-2009, 11:08 AM
O yea, I will be back hopefully after the next semester, I just need to get my GPA back up

FliryVorru
06-07-2009, 12:33 PM
That's a very awesome, responsible, and mature thing to do. To realize that you need more time to focus on academics and give up something you love is very admirable, dude. I salute you and wish you the best of luck!

TroyFootball05
06-07-2009, 12:37 PM
I hope we get more low brass, NO MORE TRUMPETS PLEASE!

I'm the trumpet section leader this year, and I've always felt like the low brass always blew us out of the water. I could never hear trumpets on the recordings. Hopefully we'll dominate this year!

sotsclarinet08
06-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm the trumpet section leader this year, and I've always felt like the low brass always blew us out of the water. I could never hear trumpets on the recordings. Hopefully we'll dominate this year!

Try being in the clarinet section Rhett lol... talk about never getting heard... But anyways I think all the brass were amazing last season and I bet we'll be even more amazing this coming season.

TroyFootball05
06-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Try being in the clarinet section Rhett lol... talk about never getting heard... But anyways I think all the brass were amazing last season and I bet we'll be even more amazing this coming season.

You guys add a nice color to the ensemble, heh.

sotsclarinet08
06-07-2009, 02:33 PM

The Fanfare wouldn't be complete without the trill and brass suck at trilling lol

MusicMan
06-07-2009, 05:33 PM

or so the rest of us have been told, I for one can't tell you cause I can't hear you, oh well

Whitney
06-07-2009, 07:33 PM

In the recordings i DO have i honestly i don't what it is with me (maybe cause my mom played trumpet in the SOTS back then and stuff yeah kinda weird.) but i always am able to find the trumpets better than any instrument. yeah the low brass are there but its the trumpet im always able to pick out especially.

JPSousa1898
06-07-2009, 08:08 PM
If there were more Clarinets in the SOTS... say 25 more, you could hear them better. :)

That'd be magical!

sotsclarinet08
06-07-2009, 08:16 PM
If there were more Clarinets in the SOTS... say 25 more, you could hear them better. :)

That'd be magical!

In past videos when the Sound was smaller you could hear them. But give us the benefit of the doubt... If we weren't put in the VERY BACK OF THE BAND behind the drumline, brass line, saxophones, color guard, danceline, and majorettes then you'd might be able to hear us... I think we made our way to the front maybe 2 times this past season lol. So 25 more would be awesome, but it would be over kill considering you wouldn't hear them anyways. We do have our shinning moments though, the trill in the fanfare and a few parts in last year's Fly Me to the Moon...

JPSousa1898
06-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Trill = awesome!

I LOVE the fanfare!

FortTroy
06-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Sorry, the main theme of the first show is going to be something of a southern rock show. I'm just glad it's not jazz or latin.

What would the rest of you guys like to hear?

Whitney
06-07-2009, 10:45 PM
this might be impossible but maybe possibly Sweet Home Alabama? i mean its a classic southern rock song... just an idea

sotsclarinet08
06-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Thing about southern rock is that EVERY BAND IN THE SOUTH does southern rock shows... Kinda gets old... Well to me anyway...

MusicMan
06-08-2009, 04:58 PM
I like to play stuff that is southern rock, but no one has ever really heard of it. My last year of high school we played Pinball Wizard for our opener, I'd never heard of the song, but it turned out really great. I think that whatever Mr. Ford decides, it'll be great, but I agree that the jazz and latin shows get old quick.

sotsclarinet08
06-08-2009, 07:22 PM
I like to play stuff that is southern rock, but no one has ever really heard of it. My last year of high school we played Pinball Wizard for our opener, I'd never heard of the song, but it turned out really great. I think that whatever Mr. Ford decides, it'll be great, but I agree that the jazz and latin shows get old quick.

I do agree some what on that, but Latin/Jazz shows are what Troy is known for lol. I mean out of the past 3 shows, 2 have been latin/jazz. But I agree... whatever Mr. Ford picks will be amazing, it always is!

FortTroy
06-08-2009, 08:57 PM
We have a version of Sweet Home Alabama that Mr. Ford wrote and we played a few years ago. The thing about when Mr. Ford picks a show, regardless of the "theme" it's always charts that aren't very known. I mean Whipping Post, which is our closer as of right now, is a lot like God Bless' the Child. I think whatever we play will be a good change and also be pretty cool. Mr. Ford knows how to write good charts and make 'em awesome. I mean, I'd understand if we were playing an entire Journey show like UGA, but we're not. All three of our charts are gonna be different and people are "dig" regardless.

MusicMan
06-08-2009, 10:46 PM
you are completely right on that FT, Ford will do somthing amazing

JPSousa1898
06-09-2009, 02:19 AM
There's a reason that Mr. Ford was hired... it's because he knows the SOTS and knows what the crowd wants. He learned from the best. He will make this year's show into an awesome product whatever the music happens to be. Just sit back, relax, and watch the magic happen.

trojanblood
06-16-2009, 12:13 PM
I dont care what the show is, but please dont bring something back we just did a few years back like the "Red,Hot, and Blues" show from '98. No hornline will touch that year on that music. Only thing that has not been done from that show is "Big Noise from Winnetka". I have heard the originals and the latest and that show should have been left with the '98 version of "The Sound of the South" When Troy had a trumpet line of 48 and could all play. IMHO

TroyTuba
06-16-2009, 10:24 PM
I appreciate trying to recreate that magic, but that year was a turning point and can't be duplicated.

trojanblood
06-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Here, here!!!

Lowbacca
06-23-2009, 09:32 PM
As far as I know, and its funny that now that I'm not librarian I'm more in the know, that the show is Opening with Santana, the middle tune is a medley of Gimme Three Steps and two other Skynrd tunes that aren't Sweet Home or Freebird, and the close is Whipping Post.

The reason the Clarinets can't be heard is simple: I haven't been marching it the last two seasons!

gotroygo
07-05-2009, 12:19 PM
New drums, again?! Wow, when I marched we used the same old Ludwig drums (90-95) the whole time. They had been in use for at least a few years even before the 1990 season. Those things were HEAVY, especially when you added the two side toms.

JPSousa1898
07-05-2009, 11:21 PM
New drums, again?! Wow, when I marched we used the same old Ludwig drums (90-95) the whole time. They had been in use for at least a few years even before the 1990 season. Those things were HEAVY, especially when you added the two side toms.

Isn't it great having a new percussion instructor who can get what he wants because we have the world's most supportive admin? BLOW SOTS!

Henley12
07-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Makes me mad!!! I was there for 9 years, and not once did we get new drums. I know of at least 3 times now ya'll have gotten new drums since then. Probably more.

Psitech
07-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Makes me mad!!! I was there for 9 years, and not once did we get new drums. I know of at least 3 times now ya'll have gotten new drums since then. Probably more.

Don't feel too bad about it. The ludwig's were replaced in either 97 or 98 with "die nasty's". I'm sure you didn't miss anything. It was only a year or 2 after that the drums were replaced again with yamaha's.

TrojanWarrior418
07-09-2009, 02:32 PM
I've always enjoyed big band swing shows. I just hope Ford and Walker keep cranking out original stand tunes that really add to the atmosphere.

Now if only we had something to say on kick offs we'd be in good shape.

And if we could say something else besides Go Troy or Go Trojans, that seems kind of generic IMO. I've love to be able to say For Troy or Trojans Charge. But that's my two cents for the jar.

gotroygo
07-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Don't feel too bad about it. The ludwig's were replaced in either 97 or 98 with "die nasty's". I'm sure you didn't miss anything. It was only a year or 2 after that the drums were replaced again with yamaha's.

Don't forget the Premiers they had too! Just about the only brand we haven't had is Pearl.

TroyTuba
07-14-2009, 10:20 AM
The new drums are Pearls......

goe1975
07-16-2009, 07:43 AM
I think y'all need to do the Phantom Regiment 2008 show (Spartacus).

FliryVorru
07-16-2009, 11:35 AM
I think y'all need to do the Phantom Regiment 2008 show (Spartacus).

Well, we did Gladiator in 2001 and that was a complete failure with the fans. Same with the Star Wars show in 2000 or 1999. I'd love it and want to re-join the band, but most of the general public doesn't appreciate or enjoy drum corps-style shows. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just the way it is. Songs such as Scythian Suite or, frankly, anything by Khachaturian (even Sabre Dance) aren't exactly crowd pleasers.

Though, admittedly, doing Santa Clara Vanguard's 1989 "Phantom of the Opera" show or Star of Indiana's 1993 "Pines of Rome" show would be the halftime to end all halftimes...

sotsclarinet08
07-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Though, admittedly, doing Santa Clara Vanguard's 1989 "Phantom of the Opera" show or Star of Indiana's 1993 "Pines of Rome" show would be the halftime to end all halftimes...

You sir are correct! Santa Clara's 89 Phantom show is one of the best performances of all time in my opinion.... The sideways company front they do at the end sends shivers down my spine, I bet even "non musical" fans would appreciate that and stand in ovation for us. Like they did this year with our company front for God Bless the Child. I remember looking up in the stands at the crowd at the New Orleans Bowl at the end of God Bless the Child and not one Troy fan was sitting down at the end of it!

TroyTuba
07-17-2009, 02:28 AM
Well, we did Gladiator in 2001.....

Come on Bob, get it right.....Gladiator was in 2000, Mr. Ford's first year was 2001 and we did Children of Sanchez ;-)

FliryVorru
07-17-2009, 06:08 AM
Come on Bob, get it right.....Gladiator was in 2000, Mr. Ford's first year was 2001 and we did Children of Sanchez ;-)

My bad, old man. You know I didn't get here until 2003 anyway.

I suppose next time I refer to ancient band history I should give you a call :rolleyes:

bulldogtrojan
07-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Not all the fans were unappreciative of the drum corps style shows. And Star's 1993 show was a take off from the 1975 Muchachos show the year they were disqualified for having over-age members. They would have won DCI that year. And speaking of drum corps - The Charioteers (a drum corps from Troy, Al) reunion is in Atlanta next weekend in conjunction with DCI. Bring on the brass!

goe1975
07-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Not all the fans were unappreciative of the drum corps style shows. And Star's 1993 show was a take off from the 1975 Muchachos show the year they were disqualified for having over-age members. They would have won DCI that year. And speaking of drum corps - The Charioteers (a drum corps from Troy, Al) reunion is in Atlanta next weekend in conjunction with DCI. Bring on the brass!

Did the Muchachos play "Spirit of the Bull" one year? Or maybe "Everybody's Everything"?

FliryVorru
07-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Did the Muchachos play "Spirit of the Bull" one year? Or maybe "Everybody's Everything"?

They played Espiritu del Toro in 1972 and 1973, but I don't think they ever played "Everybody's Everything". The Caballeros, on the other hand, played it those very same years (72/73) so maybe that's why you paired the two.

goe1975
07-18-2009, 11:18 PM
They played Espiritu del Toro in 1972 and 1973, but I don't think they ever played "Everybody's Everything". The Caballeros, on the other hand, played it those very same years (72/73) so maybe that's why you paired the two.

Thanks. We played both of those in high school but I couldn't remember which one the Muchachos had played.

trojanblood
07-22-2009, 07:33 PM
You sir are correct! Santa Clara's 89 Phantom show is one of the best performances of all time in my opinion.... The sideways company front they do at the end sends shivers down my spine, I bet even "non musical" fans would appreciate that and stand in ovation for us. Like they did this year with our company front for God Bless the Child. I remember looking up in the stands at the crowd at the New Orleans Bowl at the end of God Bless the Child and not one Troy fan was sitting down at the end of it!

TO clarify this...Star perfomed "Pines of Rome" in 1991. They won the world championships with this show. In 1993, Star performed Bartok's music

SOTSButterfly
08-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Anyone still curious about the show, there's information here:

http://forum.soundofthesouth.org/last-day-o-camp_topic2534.html

sotsclarinet08
08-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Opener: Lynyrd Skynyrd Medley (Gimmie Three Steps, Free Bird, Sweet Home Alabma)

2nd: Mind Bender by Stillwater

3rd: Ramblin Man by the allman brothers

Drum break/feature

Finale: Whipping Post by the allman brothers

We have the entire show on the field already! If you guys want to see it come out tonight and watch it probably around 8 or so when we run it down.

TroyTuba
08-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Practice from 7-10 and you guys are gonna run the show at 8?

sotsclarinet08
08-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Practice from 7-10 and you guys are gonna run the show at 8?

Got done by 9:30... Thank goodness, I had a monster of a headache.