PDA

View Full Version : GoTroyTrojans.Com Changes Hands

faithintsu
04-15-2009, 08:09 PM
As many of you saw a couple of weeks ago I posted an announcement that GoTroyTrojans.Com was up for sale.

I am proud to announce that after less then 1 week the sale was finalized to two fellow Troy Alumni. We had 3 total inquires (2 companies and 1 alumni) after the deal with the Dothan Eagle fell through. I was more eager to turn the board over to a pair of alumni then I was a business.

While I am somewhat sad to part ways with the ownership of the website it had become quite apparent to me (and the GTT members) that I have neglected this website. By having fresh ownership come on board I am sure Mike and Brian will breath fresh air into the website and bring some exciting new features.

I will still be around the boards as I normally am and you will no doubt continue to see me at many Troy Events.

With all of that said - I ask everyone to welcome Mike (hurdlelove) and Brian (EHSTIGER) as the new owners of GoTroyTrojans.Com

Burn the Horse
04-15-2009, 09:38 PM
congrats guys!

FliryVorru
04-15-2009, 11:18 PM
http://shop.neatorama.com/avactis-images/overlords-l.gif

Seriously, though... congratulations on the ownership shift to all parties involved!

sotsclarinet08
04-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Congratulations Guys!

Hope to see some great things from you both!

bkh4troy
04-16-2009, 07:42 AM
Thanks Jeff for all that you have done for GTT and good luck to the new owners.

TrojanWar
04-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Excellent! I can't wait to see what the new owners have in store for this board. Good times will continue to be had on GTT.com!

Mike Cunningham
04-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Thank you for the well wishes.....my initial plan is to embrace our current loyal followers/posters and really ramp up the number of new posters. Here is a recent article (http://www.eufaulatribune.com/euf/sports/local/article/local_all_in_with_web_site/68049/)published that gives you some hints as to what we are looking forward to providing for all Troy alums, fans, students, haters, etc!!!

Burn the Horse
04-16-2009, 02:40 PM
im very excited about all of the things you mentioned in the article Mike! GTT has been a home for many of for years now, but it's time the place got a facelift and some "new blood." Turning it in to an HQ for TROY would really help unite the fanbase.

TSU2457
04-16-2009, 03:21 PM
Mike,
best of luck to you and Brian.

TrojanWar
04-16-2009, 03:40 PM
You know what's funny? That article is in the Eufaula Tribune, which is owned by Media General. It was Media General that almost bought the site, not The Dothan Eagle. I think MG missed out on a great opportunity.

T-Rotten
04-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Look forward to the changes. Hope everything works out for you guys and for the site!

Mike Cunningham
04-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Mike,
best of luck to you and Brian.

Thanks we'll need it. I define luck as, "Help from others!!!"

:)

BTW, has anyone noticed we changed the name to the World's Largest TROY Sports Message Board? We expect to be treated as big time (we being TROY, the members of the Trojan Nation) and so we will act accordingly. New sheriff in town with a new attitude. Think of Larry's famous BIG TIME quote. That's my inspiration.

TrojanWarrior418
04-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Congradulations to Mike and Brian. Thank you for keeping my favorite web site alive. I'm excited to hear about the upcoming changes, may I suggest putting in a countdown clock? You can google count down clock and get the html codes. I think knowing the weeks, days, hours, minutes and seconds until the kickoff to the 2009 season would be a nice touch.

Mike Cunningham
04-16-2009, 06:14 PM
That's an unbelievably great idea TW418. It's already in the works!!!

Our first order of business is to get a frontpage (www.gotroytrojans.com) back up. We've got some great ideas to put there. We aren't going to rush this thing and do it sloppy. We have some thoughts and luckily we have time since football season is four months away.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. This site is by Trojans, for Trojans.

TrojanWarrior418
04-16-2009, 07:17 PM
That's an unbelievably great idea TW418. It's already in the works!!!

Our first order of business is to get a frontpage (www.gotroytrojans.com) back up. We've got some great ideas to put there. We aren't going to rush this thing and do it sloppy. We have some thoughts and luckily we have time since football season is four months away.

If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know. This site is by Trojans, for Trojans.

Wow I'm flattered that you liked my idea.

sotsclarinet08
04-16-2009, 07:21 PM
This is just an idea.

You guys could take donations, not large ones, but small donations. I would not mind donating $5 to better enhance GTT.com, home of the Trojan Nation and i'm a broke college student ha! And perhaps you could have a donor's page? Just use paypal for all the transactions and assure the people that the donations wouldn't go to you as compensation.

The donations could be used in many ways. It could go towards graphics for the site, specialize flash web pages, and videos made about Trojan Athletics. Who knows, theres dozens of things it could go towards.

Not sure if you guys had planned on that type of thing but thought I'd give y'all some feedback. I'm really excited for GTT.com, I know with you two at the helm it'll rival some of the "big boy" fan-based sites!

sotsclarinet08
04-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Wow I'm flattered that you liked my idea.

It's a very good idea. Keeps the fans waiting lol.

TroyPremier
04-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Market the site though the social networks like facebooks. Put the share links on the site so that people can post links to threads directly from their social network accounts.

ThePowerMan
04-17-2009, 08:46 AM
I, for one, think that the donation idea is good. I hate having to "Mandatory PAy" for use of something. I used to like the "Coaches Hot Seat". New ideas forced it to become a pay site. Needless to say that I never go there anymore. And the cost for that site is minimal ($20, I think). But the fact it is mandatory is what gets me. So, give us a chance to kick in a few bucks here and there. Post our names as "Thank You's" and sell some ads. Set up a bucket at the games for donations....what ever.....just keep the site FREE to fans that just want to check in every now and then.

TrojanWar
04-17-2009, 08:47 AM
This is just an idea.

You guys could take donations, not large ones, but small donations. I would not mind donating $5 to better enhance GTT.com, home of the Trojan Nation and i'm a broke college student ha! And perhaps you could have a donor's page? Just use paypal for all the transactions and assure the people that the donations wouldn't go to you as compensation.

The donations could be used in many ways. It could go towards graphics for the site, specialize flash web pages, and videos made about Trojan Athletics. Who knows, theres dozens of things it could go towards.

Not sure if you guys had planned on that type of thing but thought I'd give y'all some feedback. I'm really excited for GTT.com, I know with you two at the helm it'll rival some of the "big boy" fan-based sites!

About once a year, Jeff asks for donations. Many of us have contributed in the past and will continue to contribute to the site, regardless of the ownership. I'm sure asking for money is not the first order of business for the new owners, but we should continue to give donations regardless so that we can help the site grow.

TroyDrum89
04-17-2009, 10:58 AM
I think the first order of business should be to use the spellchecker on the title of this forum. lol

Mike Cunningham
04-17-2009, 02:39 PM
Call me an idiot, but I don't see a spelling error in this: World's Largest TROY Sports Message Board.

If there is a spelling mistake, I would greatly appreciate you IM or email me and let me know what it is. It will be fixed ASAP.

mikecunningham@alumni.troy.edu

Thanks in advance.

trojansoccer
04-17-2009, 02:50 PM
Announcements not Annoucements

TroyDrum89
04-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I should have clarified. I didn't mean the title of the Board itself. I meant "Announcements" was misspelled as the title of this specific sub-forum. It's just been bothering me since I joined the board. lol. I don't mean to offend at all. Congrats on being the new owner btw! I look forward to the changes ahead.

Mike Cunningham
04-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Ta da! You make suggestions for improvement, we make the changes. Thanks for letting me know and thanks for the well wishes.

Mr. Ho
04-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Just remember Mr. Ho's 3 keys to success.

JPSousa1898
04-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Showing some SOTS love is always appreciated by the largest organization on Campus.... I'm sure you could find a way to tip your hat to the SOTS with some pics, vids, and sound clips. You will def have the Trojans-SOTS Alumni fans on here if you tip your hat to the current SOTS.

The new color scheme will be nice as well. It'd also be cool if we could have some catchy, stylized member titles like Trojan Recruit, Red-shirt Freshman, Upper classman, and All-Trojan... not necessarily those, but something unique like they have on Bammernation to identify members.

Make it purdy and fun... that always works. :)

Thanks guys!
Jeff thanks for your service too. :)

Mike Cunningham
04-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Showing some SOTS love is always appreciated by the largest organization on Campus.... I'm sure you could find a way to tip your hat to the SOTS with some pics, vids, and sound clips. You will def have the Trojans-SOTS Alumni fans on here if you tip your hat to the current SOTS.

The new color scheme will be nice as well. It'd also be cool if we could have some catchy, stylized member titles like Trojan Recruit, Red-shirt Freshman, Upper classman, and All-Trojan... not necessarily those, but something unique like they have on Bammernation to identify members.

Make it purdy and fun... that always works. :)

Thanks guys!
Jeff thanks for your service too. :)

I've thought about the personalized member titles based on post count. Although I did see a thread where a lot of board members were upset about the 2000+ post count social group. haha. I still like the idea.

In regards to the color, my IT guy is finding it difficult to change the colors. He thinks he has the vBulletin in the upper left changed to a gotroytrojans logo, but he's still working on it to make sure its all good.

As you can see I've started a TROY Student section for just students (it'll open on the first day of classes), would the SOTS like there own forum as well? I'd be game for that. I love our band and most definitly want to welcome them here along with all our other students.

iwas35
04-27-2009, 08:42 AM
The color/style changes are in the works. I need to update some backend web site apps and then I can work on the front end visual content.

Feel free to post any suggestions and we will do some SOTS specific things ASAP.

Also, I am very close to Annapolis and look forward to a sound thumping of the midshipman......even though they run the triple option to perfection...............

Brian Sanborn

Mike Cunningham
04-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Market the site though the social networks like facebooks. Put the share links on the site so that people can post links to threads directly from their social network accounts.

We have started a gotroytrojans.com page on facebook. Someone has already started one on Myspace (I don't have an account).

We also have two other avenues to use once the site gets up an operational. June 1 is still our target date.

sotsclarinet08
04-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Hey guys, what changes will we see in the next week or two?

I'm curious and anxious at the same time.

Mike Cunningham
04-27-2009, 08:52 PM
You are seeing two changes today. The logo has been put on top in place of the vBulletin logo. We've also partnered with Google Ads. These ads will run 24/7 and help offset some costs when users click on them.

Last week I added a future forum for TROY students, which is set to open up on the first day of school. I'm working on also adding a forum for the greatest band in the world SOTS! I have a few people to talk to first, but this could be up and running withing a couple of weeks.

The color of the message board is being worked as well. That's a little trickier though.

June 1 is our target date to have the actual homepage back up. That way we'll have an actual www.gotroytrojans.com and a separate www.gotroytrojans.com/forums.

Other than that, well, you'll just have to wait. There are several ideas in one when the frontpage gets up and going (countdown timer, photo pages, RSS feed, etc).

After that..........more more more! This will truly be your one stop place for all things TROY sports.

Suggestions? Let me hear 'em. What do YOU want to see?

Whitney
04-27-2009, 09:27 PM
the new logo looks awesome!
and im excited about the other changes coming :)

nohuddle
04-28-2009, 08:00 AM
actually, the new (old) logo looks terrible. I can't remember who originally made that but you should request that they send you a fresh copy of it that hasn't been distorted like the current one.

I'm not excited about the ads, but if we must have them let's raise the standard for how this site is presented. I know you're working on it, thanks!!

Trojan2003
04-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Could you add a "Trojans in the Pros" sub-forum? I am planning to post regular "Trojans in the NFL" updates + links to newspaper articles, NFL blogs etc.

Threads from last year:

Trojans in the NFL...
-> http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10546&highlight=trojans

Trojans in the NFL Vol.2
-> http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10640&highlight=trojans

troyw
04-29-2009, 10:36 AM
You are seeing two changes today. The logo has been put on top in place of the vBulletin logo. We've also partnered with Google Ads. These ads will run 24/7 and help offset some costs when users click on them.

Last week I added a future forum for TROY students, which is set to open up on the first day of school. I'm working on also adding a forum for the greatest band in the world SOTS! I have a few people to talk to first, but this could be up and running withing a couple of weeks.

The color of the message board is being worked as well. That's a little trickier though.

June 1 is our target date to have the actual homepage back up. That way we'll have an actual www.gotroytrojans.com and a separate www.gotroytrojans.com/forums.

Other than that, well, you'll just have to wait. There are several ideas in one when the frontpage gets up and going (countdown timer, photo pages, RSS feed, etc).

After that..........more more more! This will truly be your one stop place for all things TROY sports.

Suggestions? Let me hear 'em. What do YOU want to see?

Ads are a bad idea.

SOTSAlumBigGuns
04-29-2009, 12:20 PM
actually, the new (old) logo looks terrible. I can't remember who originally made that but you should request that they send you a fresh copy of it that hasn't been distorted like the current one.

I'm not excited about the ads, but if we must have them let's raise the standard for how this site is presented. I know you're working on it, thanks!!

I created the original version, and have the proper files. I'm open to doing a (free) new logo for the new owners if they want one.

Navarre Trojan
04-29-2009, 02:39 PM
should also contact ALL of the alumni chapters and see if they would be willing to put their information in an "ad" or "bulletin" or whatever, for a fee. I know that many have their own web pages and this could be used to direct folks to them and help them with memberships and/or upcoming activities and event information.

I know that Faith can get you the contact/email names of all of the chapter representatives and she may even be inclined to use this service for some Troy Alumni Association 'stuff'.

PM me and we can discuss.

TrojanWar
04-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Ads are a bad idea.

Then pay up because change is not free. By keeping this as a free board for the members, the new owners must do something to at least recoup their money.

TroyTrojanNYC
04-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Advertising is EVERYWHERE - television, radio, 99% of websites, billboards, magazines, newspapers, etc., etc. From what I see so far, the ads on this site are unobtrusive and well-placed. They do not detract from the content of the site and thank god they are not popping up and behind like most major websites. While it would be *nice* to have an ad-free site, I fully understand the owners' need to place them here to assist them in maintaining a "free membership" policy for all of us.

The new owners have mentioned several new goals they plan to reach in taking this site to the next level, both for their benefit and OURS. I support them and am appreciative of their efforts to make OUR board one of the best on the net. Just my $.02.

troyw
04-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Then pay up because change is not free. By keeping this as a free board for the members, the new owners must do something to at least recoup their money.

This site has always been free without a single ad appearing anywhere. Donations were counted upon to offset the costs....why can't the new owners do the same?

TroyTrojanNYC
04-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Maybe because they are trying to do MORE with the site than has ever been done before and consequently - anytime you improve upon something, it likely increases costs. The board has always been quality but the previous owners & moderators have stated in the past that they didn't have the "time" or "resources" to fully devote to the site in the way they wanted. Remember the hacking episodes? Remember that they weren't able to return the board to it's previous state and settled for the "generic" Vbulletin and it's associated layout?? No knock on them because they readily stated the reasons.

I just suggest that we continue to offer positive suggestions (as the new owners have requested), and wait for them to implement all of their changes before criticizing negatively.

sotsclarinet08
04-30-2009, 11:12 AM
yes, so stop whining... the ads are not hurting anyone and if they need to do it so be it. name 1 site that doesn't have ads? troytrojans.com has them. mtsu's site has them. every team in the Belt has ads on their main site and fan site.

troyw
04-30-2009, 12:44 PM
yes, so stop whining... the ads are not hurting anyone and if they need to do it so be it. name 1 site that doesn't have ads? troytrojans.com has them. mtsu's site has them. every team in the Belt has ads on their main site and fan site.

So, my two replies in this thread constitute whining? Can anyone have a dissenting opinion without it being considered whining?

sotsclarinet08
04-30-2009, 12:53 PM
So, my two replies in this thread constitute whining? Can anyone have a dissenting opinion without it being considered whining?

I wasn't just referring to your two posts. There has been consistent "whining" from many posters. The leaders of this board are doing a fine job and will continue to do so. Let's just give them a chance to get everything in working order.

TrojanWar
04-30-2009, 04:59 PM
This site has always been free without a single ad appearing anywhere. Donations were counted upon to offset the costs....why can't the new owners do the same?

Keep in mind the site was not initially free for the new owners as it was for the old owner. In the past, basic maintenance and fees were the only costs. Now, the initial investment must be recouped on top of the existing costs.

SOTSButterfly
05-02-2009, 12:29 AM

I agree about the logo. It's distorted, and the red inside of the "o" in "com" is a different shade....

As for the ads, I don't even see them. Must be my adblock extension in Firefox hiding them...

iwas35
05-02-2009, 12:41 AM
I talked to one of the owners and there is a new, improved, modern, professional logo on the way....patience is the key to any transition.

TrojanEmpire
05-02-2009, 09:54 AM
I talked to one of the owners and there is a new, improved, modern, professional logo on the way....patience is the key to any transition.

Just do whatever you have to do. It's your site. Look forward to seeing the new format.

Hemi Man
05-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks to the guys that bought the site. Thanks for keeping it going and keeping it free. I have no problem with the ads. Most any site you go to know has them, so I don't even give that a second thought. If you want to see how a pay site goes, go over to Troy Rivals. There is about 5 of us on there, and a new post pops up every couple of months.

TrojanWarrior418
05-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Will the new site have an official chatroom? I remember that during games we wanted a chatroom to talk to each other in, but sometimes the applications wouldn't load on some people's computers. I guess it would beat constantly posting each four second on the message boards. Just an idea though.

Mike Cunningham
05-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Good idea. Something we are definitly looking into for all the football games, and big basketball, baseball, etc games.