PDA

View Full Version : MS/AL allstar game in Mobile....

usmbacker
12-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Does Troy have any committed players playing in this game this weekend?

TroyTuba
12-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Not sure about that one. There are a couple of guys on here who follow our recruiting very heavily and I'm sure they'll post if so or not.

Rette
12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
Does Troy have any committed players playing in this game this weekend?
I have looked at thr roster for both sides and I don't recognize anyone headed to Troy. Does USM have any on the lists?

Mississippi-Alabama Allstar Roster (http://www.fox40now.com/sports/33906474.html)

TUTrojan
12-11-2008, 02:16 PM
2007- Alabama 51, Mississippi 14

Nobody saw this one coming. Not in the 19-year history of the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic had either team produced such a lopsided win. Prior to the contest, the largest margin of victory by any team was a 29-point win by Mississippi (38-9) in the 1995 game.

But a 51-14 decision by team Alabama over an outmanned Mississippi squad was, well, a shocker. All told, Alabama and Mississippi combined to establish 16 new All-Star Classic records.

This was a contest that simply got out of hand, and it didn't happen until the third quarter. Not many of the spectators thought it would be a blow out at halftime, with Alabama only leading by a respectable 17-7 margin.

Prattville quarterback Larry Smith, who earlier in the year had led his team to the Class 6A state championship, tossed a couple of touchdown passes for Ralph Spry from 10 yards and Oxford's Charles McClain from 25 to give Alabama a 14-0 lead early in the second stanza.

But Mississippi came back on a 35-yard pass from Austin Davis to Ronnie Tubbs to cut the margin to 14-7 with 5:04 showing on the second quarter clock.

Graham Sutter's 40-yard field goal with only a tick over a minute to play before intermission was a little insurance for the Alabama squad as it took a 17-7 advantage into the locker room.

What followed next was not for the faint of heart. A defensive safety in the end zone upped the Alabama advantage to 19-7, and Terrell Edwards' two-yard dash and a Smith-to-Dilbert (Justin) pass for the two-point conversion made the scoreboard look 27-7 in Alabama's favor. 'labama wasn't through yet, however, at it would add three more points on a 42-yard field goal from Sutter and a 16-yard pass from quarterback Jamie Hampton to Eufaula's Jerrel Jernigan increased the lead to 37-7. The 20-point third-quarter explosion by Alabama was the most points scored in one quarter in the history of the game.

Hampton added a touchdown run -- this one from five yards out -- to go along with his scoring pass with 10:43 showing on the Ladd-Peebles Stadium clock and a 44-7 margin.

Mississippi's final score came when Damien Anderson returned an Alabama pass 16-yards for the touchdown with 6:56 to play, but Alabama countered that with a Jernigan 45-yards scamper, his only carry of the night.

Smith completed 12-of-26 passes for 193 yards and two scores, while Stanley Jones led one of five Alabama ball carriers to gave 45 yards or more with 59. McClain and Diliberto each had a team high four receptions, McClain for 73 and Diliberto for 50.

Davis completed 12-of-26 passes for 77 yards and the one score, and he was also his team's leading ground gainer with 46. Mississippi could manage only 51 yards rushing and 128 in total offense. Marquese Ray had the most receptions with four for 31 yards.

Defensively, Mississippi's Chris White led all tacklers in the game with six and one-half tackles, while Lee Jackson added five and one-half and broke up three passes.

Alabama was paced by Zach Smith with six tackles, included two for losses of six yards, and a forced fumbled. Alabama had seven tackles behind the line of scrimmage.

EagleRock
12-11-2008, 02:35 PM
I have looked at thr roster for both sides and I don't recognize anyone headed to Troy. Does USM have any on the lists?

Mississippi-Alabama Allstar Roster (http://www.fox40now.com/sports/33906474.html)

USM currently has three players committed playing in the game. There are several that have USM in their final lists. Hopefully we can land some of those.

TUTrojan
12-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Hampton- one passing TD, one rushing TD. Jernigan- one rushing TD, one rec TD. JOnes- leading rusher.

trojanbrutha
12-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Here's the link to the site...

http://www.ahsaa.com/AHSAA/Information/AllStarEvents/AlabamaMississippiAllStarFootballClassic/tabid/206/Default.aspx

TU Rob
12-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Here's the link to the site...

http://www.ahsaa.com/AHSAA/Information/AllStarEvents/AlabamaMississippiAllStarFootballClassic/tabid/206/Default.aspx

Just curious why it was played in June? That would be a couple of months before all of these guys freshman seasons in college. The date threw me off at first because I knew Hampton and Jernigan were soph's this year, and playing after the 2007 season wouldn't have made sense time-wise.

trojanbrutha
12-11-2008, 03:04 PM
I kinda like this combo...:rolleyes:

01:08 AHSAA - J. Jernigan 16 yd pass from Jamie Hampton (Graham Sutter kick), 8-64 2:23, AHSAA 37 - MHSAA 7

05:41 AHSAA - J. Jernigan 45 yd run (Graham Sutter kick), 5-70 1:15, AHSAA 51 - MHSAA 14