PDA

View Full Version : Troy dumps Arkansas State, wins first outright Sun Belt title

trojanbrutha
12-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Troy dumps Arkansas State, wins first outright Sun Belt title (http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/gamecenter/recap/NCAAF_20081206_ARST@TROY)

Dec. 6, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

TROY, Ala. -- Levi Brown threw for 181 yards and three touchdowns as Troy beat Arkansas State 35-9 to clinch its first outright Sun Belt championship and earn a berth in the New Orleans Bowl.

Troy (8-4, 6-1 Sun Belt) will play Southern Mississippi in the bowl on Dec. 17. Arkansas State (6-6, 4-3) is bowl eligible, but must wait to see if it will earn a berth.

Troy scored on Brown's 19-yard touchdown pass to Cornelius Williams in the first quarter.

Xavier Moreland caught a 6-yard pass from Brown to make the score 14-0, and DuJuan Harris, who rushed for 72 yards, scored on a 6-yard run to give Troy a 21-0 halftime lead.

Dominique Williams tackled Brown in the end zone to cut the lead to 21-2 with 13:55 to go in the game.

Brown hit Austin Silvoy with a 24-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter to give Troy a 28-2 lead.

Harris added a 12-yard scoring run for a 35-2 lead.

Arkansas State's Corey Leonard ran for 49 yards and threw for 172, but left with an apparent leg injury. Reggie Arnold ran for 83 yards on 18 carries for Arkansas State.

Copyright 2008 by STATS LLC and The Associated Press. Any commercial use or distribution without the express written consent of STATS LLC and The Associated Press is strictly prohibited.

trojanbrutha
12-07-2008, 12:41 AM
From the NO Bowl website...TAKIN' CARE OF BID-NESS! (http://neworleansbowl.com/2007/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemid=1)

cybereagle
12-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Congrats Spartans! See ya in the big easy!

troy145
12-07-2008, 01:31 AM
what was the announced crowd? it was very very small it seemed

Hemi Man
12-07-2008, 01:36 AM

pkf4troy
12-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Very disappointed in the crowd. Finals are still going on so no excuse from the students to not be there. After the SEC game the crowd was better but in typical student fashion alot left at half time.

Psitech
12-07-2008, 01:38 AM

It certainly didn't look like it.

troy145
12-07-2008, 01:39 AM
Very disappointed in the crowd. Finals are still going on so no excuse from the students to not be there. After the SEC game the crowd was better but in typical student fashion alot left at half time.

Couldn't finals be THE excuse? I wouldnt buy it but a case could be made.

Besides, a lot of kids are done with their finals.

troy4ever
12-07-2008, 01:46 AM
The crowd size was absolutly pathetic. I sat in the student section even though I'm not a student any longer. At about the beginning of the second quarter, the student section began to fill in a good bit. Then I heard a girl behind me (who was one of the ones who had just got there at the beginning of the second quarter) say..."There's nobody here. We should all leave and go drink." I turned around and looked at her and said "Yeah...you should...we don't need people like you here anyway who don't come to cheer on our team." She mumbled a few choice words and left at halftime as expected.

When I got to Troy from Atlanta today, I expected to see lots of tailgaters, people excited about the game....etc. What I found when I got to Troy was barely any people out tailgating, and NO students tailgating on the Shackelford quad. There may have been one tent on the Shack quad with students under it. All the student organizations didn't even bother to tailgate.

One thing is for sure...if we ever don't win the title and are bowl eligible...we will once again find ourselves sitting at home because the majority of our fans and students are just pathetic at coming out and setting an atmosphere for a game....even when it is for a championship and representatives are on campus. And in that case...I can't say that I really blame a bowl for not taking us when we can't even get people at our own home games for a championship.

Cane gone Trojan
12-07-2008, 01:59 AM
It was a pathetic crowd today; however, it was freaking freezing out there.
Yes, my family, friends, and I did stay from pregame to post game for the presentation from the NO Bowl.
I felt very sorry for the majorettes....I know they were miserable!
Thank goodness we are going to play in a dome!!!

Rette
12-07-2008, 02:13 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u34/ggj2ns3/ASU120608/2008_1206ASU1206080320.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u34/ggj2ns3/ASU120608/2008_1206ASU1206080318.jpg

It's Official! We're going bowling!!

socrgoly25
12-07-2008, 02:54 AM

I'm about sick of the "blame the students for attendance" blows. Not only was the student section the most filled part of the stadium, but we were definitely the most spirited. Y'all need to start harassing whatever old-geezer ass, fence straddling alumni that used to pretend to be Troy students to get their butts in the stadium. Again, the students still aren't perfect, but great strides are being made to change things, and it's apparently effective as I haven't seen the campus this interested in anything Troy related EVER. We'll be in New Orleans, will you?

troy145
12-07-2008, 02:57 AM
The crowd size was absolutly pathetic. I sat in the student section even though I'm not a student any longer. At about the beginning of the second quarter, the student section began to fill in a good bit. Then I heard a girl behind me (who was one of the ones who had just got there at the beginning of the second quarter) say..."There's nobody here. We should all leave and go drink." I turned around and looked at her and said "Yeah...you should...we don't need people like you here anyway who don't come to cheer on our team." She mumbled a few choice words and left at halftime as expected.

When I got to Troy from Atlanta today, I expected to see lots of tailgaters, people excited about the game....etc. What I found when I got to Troy was barely any people out tailgating, and NO students tailgating on the Shackelford quad. There may have been one tent on the Shack quad with students under it. All the student organizations didn't even bother to tailgate.

One thing is for sure...if we ever don't win the title and are bowl eligible...we will once again find ourselves sitting at home because the majority of our fans and students are just pathetic at coming out and setting an atmosphere for a game....even when it is for a championship and representatives are on campus. And in that case...I can't say that I really blame a bowl for not taking us when we can't even get people at our own home games for a championship.

This is why I dont really like college.

Its also why most people really like college.

troy145
12-07-2008, 02:59 AM
I'm about sick of the "blame the students for attendance" blows. Not only was the student section the most filled part of the stadium, but we were definitely the most spirited. Y'all need to start harassing whatever old-geezer ass, fence straddling alumni that used to pretend to be Troy students to get their butts in the stadium. Again, the students still aren't perfect, but great strides are being made to change things, and it's apparently effective as I haven't seen the campus this interested in anything Troy related EVER. We'll be in New Orleans, will you?

I disagree dude. I sat in the student section too, and starting in the third quarter the student section definitely very quickly evaporated. Really quickly.

Nevermind it was one of the most filled parts, it still wasn't very filled.

socrgoly25
12-07-2008, 03:04 AM
I disagree dude. I sat in the student section too, and starting in the third quarter the student section definitely very quickly evaporated. Really quickly.

Nevermind it was one of the most filled parts, it still wasn't very filled.

Granted, but where were the other 17,000 "fans" that were supposed to be there that aren't students? I think we have a bigger problem than why aren't the students at the game. Agree to disagree.

Also, in the past, you've seen the entire student section leave aside from maybe 20 or so people. I happen to know for a fact that student section tonight didn't just clear out because I stormed the field and celebrated with a good bit of them. But whatever, you're right, the students are to blame for our lack of attendance.

troy145
12-07-2008, 03:14 AM
Granted, but where were the other 17,000 "fans" that were supposed to be there that aren't students? I think we have a bigger problem than why aren't the students at the game. Agree to disagree.

Also, in the past, you've seen the entire student section leave aside from maybe 20 or so people. I happen to know for a fact that student section tonight didn't just clear out because I stormed the field and celebrated with a good bit of them. But whatever, you're right, the students are to blame for our lack of attendance.

Its not that their to blame, its just that they have absolutely zero excuse. More is expected of them. People who graduate and move away and pay bills and get jobs and kids and all that have better reasons not to be there than people who live on campus and dont support families.

That all being said, alumni have to perform better too. I'm not giving the rest of teh Trojan nation a pass, Im just not giving the students one either.

socrgoly25
12-07-2008, 03:20 AM
Its not that their to blame, its just that they have absolutely zero excuse. More is expected of them. People who graduate and move away and pay bills and get jobs and kids and all that have better reasons not to be there than people who live on campus and dont support families.

That all being said, alumni have to perform better too. I'm not giving the rest of teh Trojan nation a pass, Im just not giving the students one either.

I can go with that, but like many have said on here before, it's going to be a process as Rome was not built in a day. It's my opinion that the students overall are getting alot better about supporting the school than in the past. You can almost guarantee that we'll have an excellent showing in New Orleans.

JonesOxygen
12-07-2008, 09:17 AM
The usual student section is three of those sections. Last night on was full, thats all one. There are 6,500 students and at best there were 897 there. As for the townies, they are losers to, yes it was cold but it was not that bad. I had a five year old sitting by me who did not complain once. When I walked to the visitor side and looked across the way at our side....I could not believe the empty seats. At best there were 10,000 people. The 4th floor was nowhere near the usual attendance. This time it was not the locals staying inside watching the other game, the locals never got to the stadium. All in all everybody has a lame excuse but one day things HAVE to change.

fbfan
12-07-2008, 09:38 AM
http://www.gulfeast.com/index.php/troy_blog/

Troy is going to the New Orleans Bowl

December 06, 2008

Drew Champlin

Troy will play Southern Miss Dec. 21 in the New Orleans Bowl.

The Troy administrators remind you to BUY YOUR TICKETS FROM TROY, even if they are a little more expensive. The ticket office is open Sunday from 1-4 p.m. and from 8-5 through the week.

Go to troytrojans.com for more info or call 877-878-WINS.

Iíll post some more game analysis later or tomorrow.

The announced attendance was 16,227, a season low. No way there were half that many people there, which brings the question: Why play these games in late November at night?

Buzz Lightyear
12-07-2008, 09:46 AM
http://www.gulfeast.com/index.php/troy_blog/

Troy is going to the New Orleans Bowl

December 06, 2008

Drew Champlin

Troy will play Southern Miss Dec. 21 in the New Orleans Bowl.

The Troy administrators remind you to BUY YOUR TICKETS FROM TROY, even if they are a little more expensive. The ticket office is open Sunday from 1-4 p.m. and from 8-5 through the week.

Go to troytrojans.com for more info or call 877-878-WINS.

Iíll post some more game analysis later or tomorrow.

The announced attendance was 16,227, a season low. No way there were half that many people there, which brings the question: Why play these games in late November at night?

good question.....I asked that same one when the times were announced.

FoulPolePhenom
12-07-2008, 11:13 AM

Some of the student section was very classless tonight. I saw them throwing stuff on the field and at the Arkansas State players. I'm glad they were there at the game, but know how to be a fan and not a jerk. They is not directed at you SocrGoly, just wanted to bring it up since you were talking about the students.

Room Guy
12-07-2008, 12:47 PM
As much as people hate to hear this, the whole Alabama/Auburn thing is something that is ingrained into the culture of the state of Alabama and it's not going to change anytime soon. I even offered to bet money to my roommate the day that Alabama won the SEC West that the attendance would be under 20,000. That's a scheduling issue.

I like the idea that some of these MAC schools have adopted in playing games during the week.

The Messenger
12-07-2008, 01:12 PM
As much as people hate to hear this, the whole Alabama/Auburn thing is something that is ingrained into the culture of the state of Alabama and it's not going to change anytime soon. I even offered to bet money to my roommate the day that Alabama won the SEC West that the attendance would be under 20,000. That's a scheduling issue.

I like the idea that some of these MAC schools have adopted in playing games during the week.

Sad but very true.

TU Rob
12-07-2008, 01:55 PM
After a back-and-forth on whether to try and go to the game and let my older Sis keep our sick daughter for us, I had a phone call with my cousin. She called for some reason or another, and we got to talking about the game. She is a big LSU fan. Said she hates that she can't get most of the games out there, but that PPV or Gameplan is always an option. She looked it up for me, and it said Troy was on there. I checked my cable box, and sure enough. 6:00 PM, Arkansas State @ Troy was listed. I pretty much decided then that I wasn't going to be able to attend. With the option of watching it at home instead of driving two hours and sitting in the cold, with a sick daughter at home, I called TDC and told him I wouldn't be able to make it down to the game.

I ran out to get some lunch, and when I got back, I called to order the game, and it took forever, as they were having trouble. After about 20 minutes of trying to figure it out, the guy said that he still wasn't seeing it as an option, and that there would be no way that I could watch the game. He was very apologetic, but said that without seeing it on his end, there was no way to watch it on mine. This was about 2:55. I decided then that I'd go it alone. I left my wife and daughter at the house, and hit the road from Birmingham around 3:30. After a quick stop at the end of Taylor road in Montgomery to put on some thermal underwear, grab a snack and a coke, I was back on the road. Made it into Troy around 5:35, got parked across from the stadium, and made it inside with about 20 minutes 'til kickoff. Heard back from my brother-in-law, who said he'd come sit with me in the empty seat when he got there. Sorry I didn't give you another call TDC. I knew you had parents there with you and since he was going to sit with me the entire game, I didn't think he'd want to put up with two old geezer alumni.

We stayed until the end, and seeing the team celebrate on the field with the bowl invite poster was worth it. We headed over to Crowe's for a post-game meal. Got a livers dinner and tore it up. Got back on the road and got back to Birmingham around 11:40 and went straight to bed.

Bottom line: Worth the drive, the cold, the drive back, being hoarse today from cheering, and the indigestion from Crowe's to be there in person.

Dothan_Trojan97
12-07-2008, 03:02 PM
There was no way there were 16,000+ people in that stadium. Maybe, Maybe 10,000, but I'd guess 8,000 at best. My wife and I left our two little ones with grandparents in Dothan and we were able to stay to the bittter cold end to celebrate with the team for going to the NO Bowl. Just got off the phone with Judy at the ticket office and secured 4 tickets for my family (kids will most certainly make trip with us) for Nawlins to go bowlin' with the Trojan nation. It's great to be a Troy Trojan!

TFan
12-07-2008, 05:54 PM
It was a pathetic crowd today; however, it was freaking freezing out there.
Yes, my family, friends, and I did stay from pregame to post game for the presentation from the NO Bowl.
I felt very sorry for the majorettes....I know they were miserable!
Thank goodness we are going to play in a dome!!!

.. spoke with a coupla Trojan players at the AA this aft.. they appreciated those that were there AND said the crowd SOUNDED much larger! Yep, we're nursing sore throats today, but worth every bit!

GO TROJANS!

Hemi Man
12-07-2008, 06:08 PM
.. spoke with a coupla Trojan players at the AA this aft.. they appreciated those that were there AND said the crowd SOUNDED much larger! Yep, we're nursing sore throats today, but worth every bit!

GO TROJANS!

We always wait for the team after the games. To thank and congratulate the players. Even after the losses. I think they appreciate it even more after the losses. I can tell you who the last two players are out of locker room after every game. It is always the same two. They know us by name and make a point to come see us.

We have to support the team on and off the field. Then again it would be nice if some of the people in the stands would support them on the field, rather than worrying about bama's loss.

ksdtrojan
12-07-2008, 09:03 PM
the crowd SOUNDED much larger!
Me and formerlytsufan were talking as we thought the same thing, I pointed out that it is probably because the same 5000 make the noise even when 15,000 show up.

likesturtles
12-07-2008, 10:49 PM

That really wouldn't help overall attendence, though. Too many people who have to drive in from out of town. Would probaby get more TV exposure, but that's no fun for me. ^_^

I'm actually surprised there were as many there as there were because of the Alabama loss. I truely expected most people to just leave in disgust rather than bothering with the "smaller" game that they had tickets to. From across the stadium, it looked like most of the students who came in at the end of AL/FL stayed for most of the game, so no real complaints there. My biggest complaint is how stodgey the fans over in the 200's are. Good lord, they think they're at a theater performance and are afraid to speak for fear of disturbing people. But there's a gentleman (grin) in section 210 that I love. I wish everyone was as into the game as he is.

TU Rob
12-08-2008, 09:09 AM
But there's a gentleman (grin) in section 210 that I love. I wish everyone was as into the game as he is.

Hmm, wonder who that could be? And while you're looking over in the 200s, well it will have to be next year, but look anyways, glance over at 212. You'll see another animated 'gentleman' cheering on the Trojans.

troy145
12-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Theres a few of us in the student section as well ;)