PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas game update

TrojanWar
12-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Well, it appears that arkstfan, who obviously hates the hogs, yelled smoke when there was no fire. Today's Arkansas Democrat Gazette has an article about the updated 2005 Arkansas schedule and Troy has been moved to another year per Troy's request.

The article states:
Louisiana-Monroe is replacing Troy, which previously had been listed as an Arkansas opponent for 2005 on a tentative schedule. Broyles said Troy had a scheduling conflict and requested that it play the Razorbacks another season. Arkansas was able to accomodate Troy by adding Louisiana-Monroe, which played the Razorbacks in Little Rock in 2004 and will do so again in 2005.

arkstfan
12-15-2004, 11:07 AM
You don't need to infer my taste in the Razorbacks.

I would deserve to be locked in an institution if I had anything less than a bitter distaste for a university that actively and openly fought against us dropping "college" from our name and replacing it with "university", a university that helped lead the fight to divide Division I into I-A and I-AA (check the November 1975 Arkansas Gazette archives) the very year ASU goes 11-0 as a new Division I member. The school that actively fought against creation of a doctoral program at Arkansas State even though the consultants to the Federal Government's Delta Commission said it was essential and that ASU was the only university in the delta region capable of offering it. The University who has athletic director under oath told the Arkansas General Assembly in 1987 that UA should not be forced to play ASU in football because it was their policy to not play I-AA schools he neglected to mention that he had scheduled Drake but couldn't play the game when they dropped football. He also maintained that solid policy four years later as UA played The Citadel (and lost) on the day ASU played its first game back in I-A. The University that actively supported limitations on athletic spending at state supported schools that were so onerous that eventually all but one junior college in the state was forced to drop all athletics and would have forced all the four year schools except them to drop athletics had there not been a loophole inserted because the costs of moving to the SEC were running higher than expected. A school that refuses to schedule ASU as unworthy yet their schedule remains dotted by teams that have lost to ASU. A school that refuses to schedule ASU because they aren't in the business of "helping" other schools and then signs a 10 year deal with the stated purpose of "helping" that school remain I-A. A school that was required by NIT contract to provide a minimum number of tickets to ASU when we met in that tournament and refused to abide by the contract giving fewer tickets. They have an athletic director who has stated publicly he did not attend that game despite numerous people seeing him at the game and leaving the game early, including the long-time UA play-by-play announcer.

No I don't like them and there is no reason I should.

But yelling smoke when there is no fire? Look at the original article.

Based on the tentative schedule, Troy had been expected to be Arkansasí other Little Rock opponent. But Arkansas may add a different nonconference opponent.

Read back the part where the initial article said TROY was the one wanting out. What it isn't there? Last time Arkansas was in this position of coming off a losing season, they dumped Memphis to get new to I-A MTSU.

TrojanWar
12-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Listen, I've heard all the reasons ASU fans hate the UofA, and I can underetand your feelings. It's business. This is not the board to outline your hatred for the Hogs. My point was that you insinuated it was Arkansas backing out of the game, not Troy. ASU fans are always looking for the negative to throw out against Fayetteville, and I was playing the other side. It's no big deal, so just chill out. In every response to you in the other thread, I stated that I understood your point of view. Heck, I'm just glad the game is still on for the future. I will of course be cheering for my Trojans, as I'm sure you will be as well.

littlebittyschool
12-15-2004, 11:34 AM
http://www.nwanews.com/story.php?paper=adg&section=Sports&storyid=101966

The link above is to the article referred to.

Louisiana-Monroe is replacing Troy, which previously had been listed as an Arkansas opponent for 2005 on a tentative schedule. Broyles said Troy had a scheduling conflict and requested that it play the Razorbacks another season. Arkansas was able to accomodate Troy by adding Louisiana-Monroe, which played the Razorbacks in Little Rock in 2004 and will do so again in 2005.

Umm, what kind of "scheduling conflict" could we possibly have? Why in the world would we turn down a "money game". We've never done that. I wonder how long we'll have to wait this time to get our schedule for next year. We don't even have a clue right now what it is with Iowa State backing out and UAB reportedly waffling on their game. Now that Ark is off the list, who knows? Even though we know all of the Sunbelt teams are supposed to play one another, but it's anyone's guess on who's home and who's away.

One of two things are going on with us not playing Arkansas. Either we backed out of this "money game" to get an even bigger "money game" (or maybe set up a 2 for 1 with someone) or Broyles is lying.

TrojanWar
12-15-2004, 11:46 AM
One of two things are going on with us not playing Arkansas. Either we backed out of this "money game" to get an even bigger "money game" (or maybe set up a 2 for 1 with someone) or Broyles is lying.

Nah, Broyles has been good about scheduling tougher OOC games in the last few years, so I think Troy is probably working a deal with someone as you mentioned as a possibility. It would be nice to see another SEC opponent pop-up on our schedule for next year. That would make traveling easier. If our current administration schedules someone, no matter how big they are, on the West coast instead of Arkansas, then I will have lost total confidence in the job they are doing. Does anyone have any inside information as to who our administration might be wheeling and dealing with?

TSUWhiner
12-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Ark fan..just shutup..really..stop wasting space on our message board..which bowl game are you guys going to again?

arkstfan
12-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Ark fan..just shutup..really..stop wasting space on our message board..which bowl game are you guys going to again?

The we beat Troy Bowl.

littlebittyschool
12-15-2004, 02:55 PM
He's got a point Whiner. Scoreboard trumps all!

BMarkey
12-15-2004, 02:59 PM
Arkstfan, I was going to defend you until you had to blather off in a nasty tone, again.

So, I've changed my mind. Just go away.

Gaskinswitch
12-15-2004, 06:02 PM
You don't need to infer my taste in the Razorbacks.

I would deserve to be locked in an institution if I had anything less than a bitter distaste for a university that actively and openly fought against us dropping "college" from our name and replacing it with "university", a university that helped lead the fight to divide Division I into I-A and I-AA (check the November 1975 Arkansas Gazette archives) the very year ASU goes 11-0 as a new Division I member. The school that actively fought against creation of a doctoral program at Arkansas State even though the consultants to the Federal Government's Delta Commission said it was essential and that ASU was the only university in the delta region capable of offering it. The University who has athletic director under oath told the Arkansas General Assembly in 1987 that UA should not be forced to play ASU in football because it was their policy to not play I-AA schools he neglected to mention that he had scheduled Drake but couldn't play the game when they dropped football. He also maintained that solid policy four years later as UA played The Citadel (and lost) on the day ASU played its first game back in I-A. The University that actively supported limitations on athletic spending at state supported schools that were so onerous that eventually all but one junior college in the state was forced to drop all athletics and would have forced all the four year schools except them to drop athletics had there not been a loophole inserted because the costs of moving to the SEC were running higher than expected. A school that refuses to schedule ASU as unworthy yet their schedule remains dotted by teams that have lost to ASU. A school that refuses to schedule ASU because they aren't in the business of "helping" other schools and then signs a 10 year deal with the stated purpose of "helping" that school remain I-A. A school that was required by NIT contract to provide a minimum number of tickets to ASU when we met in that tournament and refused to abide by the contract giving fewer tickets. They have an athletic director who has stated publicly he did not attend that game despite numerous people seeing him at the game and leaving the game early, including the long-time UA play-by-play announcer.

No I don't like them and there is no reason I should.

But yelling smoke when there is no fire? Look at the original article.

Based on the tentative schedule, Troy had been expected to be Arkansasí other Little Rock opponent. But Arkansas may add a different nonconference opponent.

Read back the part where the initial article said TROY was the one wanting out. What it isn't there? Last time Arkansas was in this position of coming off a losing season, they dumped Memphis to get new to I-A MTSU.

Arkstfan is famous around these parts with his anti-Razorback rhetoric. This krap is typical of what he puts out all the time and is mostly BS with unsubstantiated statements of events that never happened or have been twisted around to suit his agenda.

Arkansas fans in NEast Arkansas were pulling for Troy on their recent visit to Jonesboro and hope they kick ass and take names on their next trip.