PDA

View Full Version : Schedule vacancy for Troy?

arkstfan
12-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Today's Arkansas Democrat-Gazette mentions in passing that the Razorbacks are looking to dump Troy off the 2005 football schedule.

Sarahbelle
12-14-2004, 11:18 AM
You mean to tell me that little old Troy, the school that's not even good enough to be playing in a bowl but somehow managed to get a bid to a bowl that's so terrible that no one will watch is too scary for the little piggies?

littlebittyschool
12-14-2004, 11:24 AM
Add them to the list with Iowa State. I'm sure there will be more. Ring them up and charge them out the wazzou!

arkstfan
12-14-2004, 11:32 AM
Not suprising. They once signed an 8 game contract with Memphis. The Tigers won the first three and the Hogs won the fourth game 27-20. They tried to cancel the remaining games and finally agreed to play one final game in Memphis (Arkansas won), ending the series after five games.

TUTrojan
12-14-2004, 11:40 AM
We almost beat an LSU team that blew them out. We have a solid season. Our program is on the rise. They want us off.

Maybe they can see if they can trade us to Auburn for a game against the Citadel or get one of Bama's 1-AA opponents? Or maybe they will chicken out and play a team like Maine? Bottom line is that they won't be very pretty without Matt Jones.

Hopefully, with the continued evolution of college football caused by scholarship limits and the rise of mid-majors, etc., programs that take the easy way out will be penalized when it comes to rankings, $$$'s, postseason opportunities, and such...

We are going to have to schedule whichever big teams we can well into the future and let them buy their way out and then play some games against more MAC and COnference USA schools in their place.

TrojanWar
12-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Hmm...I'll get to the bottom of it. As most of you know, I pull for the Hogs AFTER the Trojans. I've got some sources over there so I'll see what I can find. I imagine there is nothing to it, but you never know. I'll subscribe to The Democrat Gazette online addition and paste the article in here as well. Arkansas is not one to usually buy out of games, so that sounds fishy to me.

BMarkey
12-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Troy needs to ink higher pull-out penalties into its contracts. It's so unfair and unethical for a school to pull out, especially the chicken-s%@$ way Iowa State did it.

If they pull out, they should have to pay the full amount. Cut Troy a check for $450,000, Arkansas and Iowa State, and then go walking over to some I-AA school. Hope you lose anyway.

TrojanWar
12-14-2004, 02:18 PM
FAYETTEVILLE — Arkansas Athletic Director Frank Broyles is discussing a trade with War Memorial Stadium officials, possibly swapping Mississippi State for South Carolina in Little Rock for the 2005 football season.
The Razorbacks’ past four home games with South Carolina — Arkansas’ permanent SEC East schedule partner — have been played in Little Rock (since 1997) and that was expected to continue.
Last month when Steve Spurrier was hired as the Gamecocks’ coach, Arkansas Coach Houston Nutt said, "That’s good, I’ll be looking forward to it. We’ll be happy to have him come to Little Rock next year."
Broyles confirmed Monday night, however, that discussions are being held to move the South Carolina game to Fayetteville next season and replace it with another SEC school.
Mississippi State figures to be the logical replacement opponent in Little Rock, though Broyles said nothing has been finalized.
"I’m working with the stadium commission to be sure that both agree on what’s best for both programs," Broyles said. "I want to be sure that we protect both stadiums."
Broyles said moving the South Carolina game to Fayetteville "has to do with ticket sales."
Arkansas needs to move South Carolina to Fayetteville to help ticket sales at Reynolds Razorback Stadium, which has a seating capacity of 72,000.
While the Razorbacks’ finalized 2005 schedule has yet to be released, a look at the tentative schedule previously released indicates the Fayetteville games would be Southwest Missouri State, Vanderbilt, Auburn and Mississippi State if the South Carolina game stays in Little Rock.
Based on the tentative schedule, Troy had been expected to be Arkansas’ other Little Rock opponent. But Arkansas may add a different nonconference opponent.
Auburn, which won the SEC championship this season and is 12-0, would be the only marquee opponent in Fayetteville in 2005 if the South Carolina game isn’t moved.
Arkansas averaged 70,689 fans for its five Fayetteville games in 2004, but the opponents were Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Ole Miss and New Mexico State.
The Arkansas-Texas game drew 75,671, a record for a Razorbacks home game.
Arkansas is coming off a 5-6 season, the first losing record in Nutt’s seven seasons as coach, so selling tickets for the Fayetteville schedule figures to be bolstered by having Spurrier’s Gamecocks play at Razorback Stadium.
Spurrier is one of the biggest names in coaching after leading Florida to a 122--27-1 record in 12 seasons from 1990 to 2001, including six SEC titles and the 1996 national championship.
But Broyles bristled at the notion that moving the South Carolina game to Fayetteville is because of Spurrier’s hiring.
"It has nothing to do with Steve Spurrier whatsoever," Broyles said. "Not one zilch. Not onethousandth of one point has it got anything to do with their coach."
Also influencing Broyles’ decision is that Arkansas will have only four Fayetteville games in 2005, rather than five as was the case in 2004, because the Razorbacks are playing Southern California in Los Angeles.
Home games in Fayetteville generate about $3 million for Arkansas and home games in Little Rock generate about $1.3 million, Broyles has said.
With a listed capacity of 53,727, War Memorial Stadium is the second-smallest facility in the SEC, ahead of Vanderbilt Stadium and its capacity of 39,773.
Arkansas’ current 15-year contract with the War Memorial Stadium Commission, which runs from 2000 through 2014, calls for the Razorbacks to play at least two games in Little Rock in 11 of those years and three games in the other four years.
At least one game each season must be against an SEC opponent to be chosen by Arkansas.
The Razorbacks played three games in Little Rock in 2000 and 2002.
Arkansas is expected to continue to play LSU in Little Rock, as the Razorbacks have in evennumbered years since 1996.
Since Nutt became Arkansas’ coach in 1998, the Razorbacks are 17-1 in Little Rock, with the lone loss being to LSU, 43-14 this season.

HuskieFan84
12-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Welcome to our world, NIU has an opening for 2005 too. Nobody likes to play a solid mid-major. Someone posted about Marshall traveling well (in a different post, about the GMAC bowl), NIU is the team in the MAC with the highest attendance numbers this year, not Marshall, so if your looking for a good crowd, we always fill our place. A bowl game and a game the next year is a great way to start a rivalry, something both of our teams could use, (considering UofI won't play us, and I don't see Alabama or Auburn all that interested in playing you in the future).

arkstfan
12-14-2004, 03:29 PM
Arkansas is not one to usually buy out of games, so that sounds fishy to me.

Memphis fans would disagree along with a couple other schools.

But they are no Oklahoma State who is notorious for breaking contracts.

TrojanWar
12-14-2004, 04:17 PM
Arkansas is not one to usually buy out of games, so that sounds fishy to me.

Memphis fans would disagree along with a couple other schools.

But they are no Oklahoma State who is notorious for breaking contracts.

There was more to the Memphis story than you are letting on...or possibly know. I realize that as an ASU fan you can't wait to jump all over any negative coming from Fayetteville, and that's understandable. The Big 12 is bad about dumping games. There is rarely a year that goes by where several Big 12 schools don't buy their way out of OOC games.

TSUWhiner
12-14-2004, 04:22 PM
I wish we could play Notre Dame..just one time..I hate Regis Philpiss for what he said about Troy on national TV in 2001..his Irish suck..looks like we should pay them a visit. As for teams coping out on us..thats a good and bad sign..its good cause at least the teams are respecting us (not SI or ESN)...and bad because we need exposure to these hard teams..call me stupid..but doesnt that make us better? Hell lets put Baylor on the schedule..or Kansas, Buffalo, UCF...or an overated team like Aublow!!!!

arkstfan
12-14-2004, 05:05 PM
I know that they signed an 8 year deal, wanted to only play four after losing the first three and it took the threat of going to Federal Court to get them to play the 5th game and to pay a buyout.

I'm sure there was some story about needing home games, but I'd love to hear the untold story. I'm sure its a good one.

Big 12?

Don't trust who they say they are playing until both teams are on the field.

TrojanWar
12-14-2004, 05:34 PM
Big 12?

Don't trust who they say they are playing until both teams are on the field.

Well, at least we agree on something.

whereiskelvin
12-14-2004, 05:57 PM
NIU fan, you will never, never see AU or AL on our schedule. They were scared back in our 1AA days. For teams likes ours, we just keep knocking on the doors of the big boys. Eventually they will want us with them when all the conferences go to 12 teams.

troy4ever
12-14-2004, 08:52 PM
We all knew this was going to start happening once we started being successful. It's now that the growing pains my start again. Once you become a successful mid-major team that can play and beat up some of the big boys, the big boys don't want to play with you anymore. We all said it was going to eventually happen, I think it's just happening a little sooner than most of us had anticipated.

TrojanEmpire
12-15-2004, 01:29 PM
What did Reeg say about Troy in 2001?

Scoots71
12-20-2004, 09:23 AM
A bowl game and a game the next year is a great way to start a rivalry, something both of our teams could use.

That's a really good idea. Maybe the ADs will start talking (especially if it is a good game on the 30th).

BillyRubin
12-20-2004, 09:44 AM
Welcome to our world, NIU has an opening for 2005 too. Nobody likes to play a solid mid-major. Someone posted about Marshall traveling well (in a different post, about the GMAC bowl), NIU is the team in the MAC with the highest attendance numbers this year, not Marshall, so if your looking for a good crowd, we always fill our place. A bowl game and a game the next year is a great way to start a rivalry, something both of our teams could use, (considering UofI won't play us, and I don't see Alabama or Auburn all that interested in playing you in the future).

I agree HuskieFan. Don't you think this could be arranged...and winner of the bowl hosts...how about it? Gives us something to play for besides our share of the bag.

HuskieFan84
12-20-2004, 04:58 PM
We added Michigan for Sept. 3 (wish us luck on that one..) but we still have an open date the 17th.. not sure if that would work out, but would be pretty nice reward to have the winner of the bowl game get a home game next year if we did set something like that up.

Our OOC schedule currently
Michigan - Sept. 3rd
Northwestern - Sept. 10th

also.. maybe Troy should look into the fact ESPN got screwed when Nebraska backed out of a thursday night game against Houston next year to play 1AA Maine. They need someone to fill that spot, I'm sure Troy could use the air time as much as NIU.

NIU Bro
12-20-2004, 05:07 PM
I think that a Troy/NIU home and home in FB would be great. Does your AD ever check your board? You should email him to bring up the subject. We can do the same on our end.

Troy93
12-20-2004, 07:56 PM
Still waiting on the new A.D. to be named. We just have an interim A.D. for now.