PDA

View Full Version : Trojan Magazine Subscription

faithintsu
12-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Have a Trojan fan on your holiday gift list? Trojan News the Magazine makes a great gift idea! Our first issue will be mailed to the recipient with a special gift card courtesy of you!

Upcoming in our next issue:
Troy punter Thomas Olmsted on playing quarterback in high school and how much pressure he feels waiting for the snap...
Trojan QB DT McDowell on what steps he's taking during the offseason to become a better quarterback. McDowell made no bones about it that he wants to be a Heisman caliber quarterback during this exclusive interview...
A special talk with former Troy AD Johnny Williams, who looked back on his career at Troy and personal struggles his mother faced in raising a family with no father around...
What else? Football recruiting, features on basketball and the coaches as well as the Trojans' first postseason bowl berth!

Trojan News the Magazine goes inside Troy University and profiles the players that make the plays and the coaches who make the calls. Not just 'who won', but in-depth features and stories guranteed to entertain and inform Trojan fans everywhere. Just $19.95 brings you eight issues of Trojan News the Magazine per year!

Subscribe now at www.trojannews.com !

ThePowerMan
02-09-2005, 10:17 PM
I Subscribed to the Trojan Mag about a month ago. (Maybe around the first of January.) When should I expect the next issue out?

RedEdgeTrojan
02-09-2005, 10:19 PM
I Subscribed to the Trojan Mag about a month ago. (Maybe around the first of January.) When should I expect the next issue out?

I think several of us would like to know the answer to that question.

faithintsu
02-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Honestly, the last i heard from or of kevin was he delayed the issue due to the bowl game. He wanted to get major coverage for that, other then that I have heard nothing from him

RedEdgeTrojan
02-10-2005, 09:41 AM
Honestly, the last i heard from or of kevin was he delayed the issue due to the bowl game. He wanted to get major coverage for that, other then that I have heard nothing from him

I understand an undertaking like this takes time but the person in charge (Kevin) needs to give us an update or even a hello on the message board. Otherwise it feels as though some thing fishy is going on. Having not heard anything from him is what frustrates me. I don't mind waiting on some thing if I am keep in the loop.

Troy91
02-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Still haven't recieved my second of the "so called" eight issues per year. Come on Kev, at least have the decency to tell us what's going on.

faithintsu
02-27-2005, 07:01 PM
I wanted to post an update for everyone here, as I know some of you are interested in this. Through checking with various people as well as reaserch troymarkus has done, it has been determined that Trojan News, and the Trojan Magazine are gone. Kevin, the guy that run it (from what I have been told) has taken another job outside of Troy and is no longer doing the magazine.

Just to be clear for everyone to know, that magazine had absolutely nothing to do with GoTroyTrojans.Com. So please do not blame us at gtt.com for the loss of your money and or Magazines.

If anyone knows anything else on this issue, please let us all know. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but its unfortunate, but not a total surprise that this never worked out.

tsufl
02-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Thank God I didnt waste the money!

FRED_of_TROY
02-28-2005, 01:15 AM
My thoughts exactly.

BMarkey
02-28-2005, 12:40 PM
That's a shame. Troy fans need a publication like that. Maybe someone else can start smaller.

It goes to prove that you can be the greatest journalist in the world and still fail because your advertising department/strategy can't cut it.

I was very disappointed in the lack of Troy University support for the magazine. Troy could have thrown Kevin a full-page ad or two and not dented its budget. After all, the magazine amounted to one giant Troy promotion.

TrojanFan2
02-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Now we need an alumni with a law degree for a class action suit to get all our money back.

RedEdgeTrojan
02-28-2005, 02:48 PM
You know it's bad enough that the magazine didn't make it. I understand that this was a large undertaking. However some form of ethics should come into play also. Kevin himself should at least have the balls to say that the magazine went under (he has everyone address both postal and e-mail). Not wait however long he did and then send a message to Jeff for him to deliver.

faithintsu
03-01-2005, 09:57 AM
I agree with ya, but he never sent me a message. I have not spoken with Kevin since before the new year, so everything i know of I have gotten from people who knew him.

BMARKEY, i disagree with you. If I was working for the university, I would not have gotten an advertisment, for the mere fact of what happened. The Magazine was doomed from the start, and I would not have dropped a dime into it. They gave him everything he needed, with unfeed access to the games, coaches, etc... Would have been a great waste of their money to advertise with him.

BMarkey
03-01-2005, 10:10 AM
I agree about the notification situation. I'm a subscriber, too, although my subscription was funded through in-kind contribution.

BMARKEY, i disagree with you. If I was working for the university, I would not have gotten an advertisment, for the mere fact of what happened. The Magazine was doomed from the start, and I would not have dropped a dime into it. They gave him everything he needed, with unfeed access to the games, coaches, etc... Would have been a great waste of their money to advertise with him.

Troy University advertising should have supported the effort with some ads.

Troy didn't know it would fail. The first edition was pretty impressive. Troy officials knew what was coming based on the interviews and information Kevin collected. Troy gives the same access to all media. I don't believe Kevin got any special treatment.

The magazine was, essentially, a huge ad for Troy sports and the least the university shoud have done was support the effort with a few hundred to a few thousand dollars worth of advertising to keep the fledgling effort on its feet. Troy could not have known it was a "wasted effort" until after the first edition. My point was that Troy should have supported the first edition.

faithintsu
03-01-2005, 10:13 AM
I disagree still - I knew from the first mentioning of this that it would fail. Thats why i never paid for a subscription.

Its unfortuante that in the business world that you have to sniff things like this out quickly. Would it have made a differance if Troy U. had bought and advertisment? Not at all - Kevin would have still screwed everyone and left high and dry. My point is that it would not have been a risk Troy U. would have taken, nor should it.

BMarkey
03-01-2005, 10:25 AM
I forgot to mention that it wouldn't have been a risk for Troy to advertise. The ads purchased for the first edition would have reached Troy fans and non-fans alike and Troy would have gotten its money's worth.

The only risk would have happened if Troy had paid in advance for second and third edition ads.

faithintsu
03-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Reach Troy fans and Non Troy Fans? I bet Kevin did not sell more then 50 issues - as he only had about 25 subscribers, and I am being generous on giving him another 25 sold.

We could debate back and forth all day - :lol: We are good at it. I will leave it at this, its a shame it failed, but not a total surprise.

TrojanWar
03-01-2005, 10:31 AM
My opinion on the matter is that sometimes these projects work and sometimes they don't. In this case, obviously it did not. It's understandable but still disappointing. Now, if Kevin had sent a letter to all subscribers detailing what happened with an apology, I'm sure the majority would let it go and not be too upset. Sure, a few would be ticked off pretty bad, but that's just par for the course. By not contacting subscribers or even making a public statement about the failed project, Kevin is very much in the wrong and should consider himself lucky if he is not sued over the whole thing. We know what the subscription money was for and that's all well and good, but by essentially tucking tail and running it becomes theft. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents and I'll leave it at that.

RedEdgeTrojan
03-01-2005, 11:40 AM
I agree with ya, but he never sent me a message. I have not spoken with Kevin since before the new year, so everything i know of I have gotten from people who knew him.

Sorry about that Jeff, I thought that he had contacted you.
With that being said, I am even more bent out of shape than before. I may ask a friend of mine that is an attorney what he thinks of the situation. Probably not much that can be done but you never know.
Perhaps I should let the many people I know in the radio and TV business about his ethics. I know he is a jouralistic writer, but his name would still be out there as being sorry.

faithintsu
03-01-2005, 11:44 AM
My suggestion is if you paid via Credit Card, contact your credit card company and have them deal with it.

littlebittyschool
03-04-2005, 03:57 PM
I guess I'm one of the "25 or so" people who subscribed to the Trojan Magazine. I'll have to look on my copy to see if I can find an address or anything. Does anyone know Kevin's last name? I've got some friends in law enforcement and a couple of lawyer contacts as well. If nothing else, maybe I can get him to refund our cash. I'd just rather talk to him first. To be honest, it's not really worth the time it takes to go through the hassel, but it's sort of the principal of the thing. I don't know. If anyone has any info on the guy, I'll follow up. Also, if you subscribed, send me a pm.

Oh well, ez come, ez go. I liked the mag. If I ever win the lottery or get my chance on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? I'll start one back up.

Littlebittyschool-out

TrojanWar
03-04-2005, 04:19 PM
Howdy stranger (littlebitty). Where have you been? It's been over a month since your last post. I wodered what had happened to you. Welcome back!

littlebittyschool
03-04-2005, 05:27 PM
I decided to ban myself from posting on the board in hopes that it was indeed me that was jinxing the basketball team. Alas, that was not the case.

"A man's greatness can be judged by how much he is missed." -Will Rogers

littlebittyschool...out

BMarkey
03-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Has anyone, anywhere, heard from Kevin? I haven't.

ThePowerMan
03-27-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm glad that I could help him along in whatever endeaver his has moved to. I guess you could say it was money well spent. Thanks for nothing!!