PDA

View Full Version : Such ugly talk from a newspaper up north

RedEdgeTrojan
12-09-2004, 10:17 AM
I'll let you decide :twisted:

http://www.nwherald.com/SportsSection/hut/290887347419042.php

The sad thing is, NIU potentially is a great bowl-season story. It is a mid-major program on the rise. It has proved it can play with and beat the big boys.

It should get to play in prime time against a proven team from one of the Bowl Championship Series conferences. Boston College, maybe, or perhaps even Purdue or Florida.

Instead, it gets Troy.

Quick quiz: Where is Troy?

Answer: Alabama

Better answer: Who even cares? This was a Division I-AA team four years ago. It beat Missouri and Marshall this year, which sounds good until you realize Cary-Grove could have beaten Missouri and Marshall this year.

Sarahbelle
12-09-2004, 10:23 AM
That's it...Nick Hut is getting a nasty-gram! :x

Mr. Ho
12-09-2004, 10:28 AM
This **** Nut mo'fo needs a small dose of e-mail slamming.

What a f'in prick!

"It should get to play in prime time against a proven team from one of the Bowl Championship Series conferences. Boston College, maybe, or perhaps even Purdue or Florida.

Instead, it gets Troy.

Better answer: Who even cares? This was a Division I-AA team four years ago. It beat Missouri and Marshall this year, which sounds good until you realize Cary-Grove could have beaten Missouri and Marshall this year."

Funny, Iowa State, which beat Northern Illinois, lost to Missouri. Funny, I don't think Northern Illinois has ever beaten Marshall.

Let the Marshall folks get a hold of this as well.

http://www.nwherald.com/images/mugs/hut.jpg
I'm Lonely And Gay Please E-mail Me
nhut@nwherald.com

Trojan1998
12-09-2004, 10:29 AM
Pretty stupid article. Hell, NIU beat a terrible Alabama team last year and you would have thought that NIU had won the Super Bowl.

TrojanFan2
12-09-2004, 10:32 AM
I do agree however that it is at a ridiculous hour. Even 8PM in California seems a little late. Why not at least 6PM?

Trojan by Birth
12-09-2004, 10:48 AM
No... 8 is fine. This trip started out for me as a way to see Troy play in a bowl. It has turned into an opportunity for me a redneck who aint never been nowhere to see San Francisco. If the game were at 6, I would lose precious tourist time. I'm already arguing with my travel mates who want to get to the stadium at 5pm.. I personally like the 8pm kickoff.

Mr. Ho
12-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Meanwhile, Andy Brown of the Troy Mess writes a refreshing, positive piece:

http://www.troymessenger.com/articles/2004/12/09/sports/sports02.txt

NIU92alum
12-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Pretty stupid article. Hell, NIU beat a terrible Alabama team last year and you would have thought that NIU had won the Super Bowl.

I don't care how bad Alabama was last year... If Troy had beaten Alabama in Tuscolusa, you guys would have burned down the school in elation. You would never let Bama live it down, and you know it! Shut up about the NIU-Alabama game. You are jealous we were able to schedule them and beat them. We controlled that game and beat them straight up. No fluke fumble recoveries run in for a 60 yard TD like your win vs. Mizzou this year. We didn't need luck like that to beat Bama. We just beat them - in their house - in front of 75,000 people - period. Be happy for us. You guys are foaming at the mouth to play Bama, and I don't blame you. It was great to beat them in one of the most hallowed of college football arenas.

Trojan1998
12-09-2004, 12:48 PM
Alabama was 4-9 last season - one of their worst season's in school history. We whipped and dominated #17 Missouri (and Heisman hopeful, Brad Smith) by double digits on national television with ESPN's A-Team broadcasting crew doing the game with the entire nation watching.

By the way, you're wrong on the attendance of the NIU/Alabama game - there were 83,818 there, not 75,000. :)

Nice Trojan
12-09-2004, 12:53 PM
[quote=Trojan1998] You guys are foaming at the mouth to play Bama, and I don't blame you. It was great to beat them in one of the most hallowed of college football arenas.

Your right about that. But their poor excuse for an athletic director won't even consider playing us. He knows he would be embarassed by another school from his home state. It's bad enough Auburn whoops their ass every year, for him to get whipped by TROY, would ruin his career. Now their B team is trying to get out of their game with us next year. What is wrong with these people??? Scared of little ol' TROY.

Hector
12-09-2004, 12:56 PM
NIUAlum, don't get me wrong. I think its great that you beat Bama. Thing is, you should feel the same way about TROY beating Mizzou. They were a top 20 team when they came in here. They didn't leave that way, because of what TROY did to them. Who cares how we scored our points? We scored them legitimately, and soundly beat Mizzou in all phases of the game. One thing that that dork of a writer up your neck of the woods conveniently forgets to mention is that TROY came within 2 minutes of beating the defending national champions on their home field. We have a top 20 in the country defense. WEe have proved that. This guy does not give us the respect we deserve. He says that NIU shouldn't be thrilled by having to play the likes of TROY. Well guess what? TROY should not be thrilled with plaing the likes of NIU either. But, we don't have piss ant writers flame over the subject.

GuardGirlie
12-09-2004, 01:54 PM
You see, articles like these are exactly why we need to act better than this. Yes, I was peeved when I read it myself, but come on. If we let this guy get the better of us, we might as well lose the Bowl game. They're just mind tricks, you guys. Let us be better than using slandering and name calling and elementary tactics as a rebuttal.
(though the gay thing is funny)
Always be better than the person/people pulling stuff like this. If you sink to their level, you're no better off than they are.
I totally understand it's football and it's a Bowl game. At least we're in a Bowl, and if we find it as the most exciting thing (and it IS), that's all that matters. Who cares if some guy thinks it isn't? It's college football - EVERYTHING is a big deal. Especially down here in the south.
Let him say what he wants. As long as we're in this Bowl, nothing he says should matter. It's just slander and nonsense anyways. We're better than that. 8)

NIU92alum
12-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Hector,

Your logic is sound. I enjoy discussing things like this. I wish I had watched the Troy-Mizzou game, but I did not. I'll have to take your word for it that you controlled Mizzou. As a true fan, you know when you've taken control of a game or if it were up for grabs.

I am happy for you that you beat a ranked Mizzou. It feels good to send a ranked team home unranked. We did the same thing to Maryland in 2003 in our home opener. The Terps came in like #14 and we blasted them. It took an OT, but we got the job done.

The only thing that disappoints me is that with a win over Mizzou and playing LSU close on the road - you turn around an lose games to New Mexico St. and Arkansas St. - games you should have easily won. Imagine beating both of them and cashing in a 9-2 record instead of 7-4.

Mid major programs like Troy and NIU have to work extra hard because the critics judge us harshly. It's always something. We beat Bama in their house but don't get props because Bama did not have a strong team. Sucks, don't it?

The truth is that we both need to work on our programs and develop them into more consistent programs. Until we do that, we will continue to get grief from the BC$.

We are really excited about the Troy match-up. The more I think about it, the more I am looking forward to seeing who pulls away with the win. Regardless of the outcome, a rivalry will have been created. We should schedule each other for an OCC game in 2005 or 2006 to keep the rivalry going.

GuardGirlie
12-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Hector,

Your logic is sound. I enjoy discussing things like this. I wish I had watched the Troy-Mizzou game, but I did not. I'll have to take your word for it that you controlled Mizzou. As a true fan, you know when you've taken control of a game or if it were up for grabs.

I am happy for you that you beat a ranked Mizzou. It feels good to send a ranked team home unranked. We did the same thing to Maryland in 2003 in our home opener. The Terps came in like #14 and we blasted them. It took an OT, but we got the job done.

The only thing that disappoints me is that with a win over Mizzou and playing LSU close on the road - you turn around an lose games to New Mexico St. and Arkansas St. - games you should have easily won. Imagine beating both of them and cashing in a 9-2 record instead of 7-4.

Mid major programs like Troy and NIU have to work extra hard because the critics judge us harshly. It's always something. We beat Bama in their house but don't get props because Bama did not have a strong team. Sucks, don't it?

The truth is that we both need to work on our programs and develop them into more consistent programs. Until we do that, we will continue to get grief from the BC$.

We are really excited about the Troy match-up. The more I think about it, the more I am looking forward to seeing who pulls away with the win. Regardless of the outcome, a rivalry will have been created. We should schedule each other for an OCC game in 2005 or 2006 to keep the rivalry going.

I think you summed it up better than I did! :P
But I have a feeling this is going to be a good match, both schools have strong teams and this should be a fair game. I don't see much a rivalry since neither teams are totally bashing each other like most are expecting us to. :D :D

TUTrojan
12-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Missouri scored twice in the first 4 minutes or so. They barely got a first down the rest of the game.

We scored 17 points outside of that fumble TD, and our RB had ran for about 20 yards before the ball popped out, on a drive where he was averaging five yards a rush.

That play was a testament to how much our OL was dominating and hustling... How else do two or three OL get that far down the field with the RB to even be in position to make that play?

Our D can be excruciatingly dominating when they want to be. Hopefully they will be in playing condition on 12-30. I can't wait to see how they do against a running team.

Trojan_boy00
12-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Be Consistant.

I don't see much a rivalry since neither teams are totally bashing each other like most are expecting us to.
Let us be better than using slandering and name calling and elementary tactics as a rebuttal.
Moronic and "elementary tactics" and the life blood of all rivarlies.

I do think this could be a rivalry, one that we need by the way. Who cares about UAB we shouldn't lower ourselves to have a rival that has NO fan base and barely wins games, plus Never beats a quality team (their win over us a few years ago is their ONLY key note victory). NIU has only lost 5 games in three years, and they want to create a rivalry. I say let's do it "IT"S ON!!!". Let's stop piddling around with stupid "rivalries" like UAB etc. I think that we developed enough disdain with Miss State to consider them rivals. Nebraska is a rival to me (even though we've yet to beat them), and if you don't think Marshall is a rival go way back and read their comments (on our board) about wanting to crush us, & throw batteries at our players etc.. We need to forget these little itty bitty rivarlieslike UAB, and JSwho, and MTSU (although I thought our new trophy was cool). Commit ourseveles to hating and beating proven winners that will play us. UAB, bite my A**. If state schools won't play us, we'll just have to pass them up by creating rivalries with BETTER out of state schools.
HEY AD finalists job #1 = set up home & home games with NIU & Marshall. Set up a rivalry that we can be proud of. Now Get To Work!!

GO TROJANS!!!

troy4ever
12-09-2004, 03:37 PM
The following is my response to Nick's article that I just e-mailed him. I think it pretty much sums what most of us think about his article.

>>>Nick,

I recently read your article about NIU playing in the Silicon Valley Classic. I
wanted to e-mail you and just tell you YOUR CRAZY!!!

You say that the sad thing is that NIU is a great bowl season story. Well while
I may agree with you on that, I firmly believe that TROY is every bit of a
great bowl season story as NIU. Just like NIU, TROY is another mid-major
program program that is on the rise. The difference between TROY and NIU is
that TROY is progressing at a much faster pace than NIU. NIU has been in Div-1
for quite some time with a bowl game dating back to 1983. TROY has only been in
for 4 years and is already reaping the success! Evidence of this is our
NATIONAL TELEVISION EXPOSURE IN OUR OWN STADIUM as well as scheduling and
beating a RANKED Missouri with a HEISMAN quarterback candidate in our own house.

In addition, if you look at our schedule from the last four years and look at
the statistics from those games you may also see that we can play with the big
boys as well. Just because you don't win every game does not mean you can't
play with the big boys. TROY has played with the likes of Nebraska, Miami, Iowa
State, as well as others.

In response that you should get to meet up with teams such as Boston College,
Purdue, or even Florida, that idea is completely absurd. NIU, just like TROY,
is very fortunate to even make it into a bowl game this year. That's obvious
since neither team had any clue exactly where they would be going bowling, much
less if they would be. Had it not been for key events taking place (an example
is the Clemson-South Carolina fight), then neither of the two teams would even
be in bowl games. So count your blessings NIU is even in a bowl game.

By the way, yes TROY is in Alabama. Nice of you to point that out and to see
you have the ability to report basic geography on the same level as a jr. high
student. But who cares? Well you should care since your NIU team is playing us
. Alabama is a state filled with football history which I'm sure being the
informed sports writer you are, you already know this. People in this state eat
, sleep, breath, and LIVE football! Once again your northern arrogance and
stereotypical ideas of the south baffle me. You speak as though we actually
care about your school from Illinois. We care about about you about as much as
you care about us which doesn't extend beyond this game.

So before you go publishing articles that nonchalantly bash TROY making yourself
and NIU fans feel that TROY is unworthy to face NIU, just remember that you
also come from a mid-major conference who has one only one more win than we have
this season, and that like TROY, you are very fortunate to even be in a bowl
game.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Stanley
An INFORMED Trojan

TroyTuba
12-09-2004, 04:51 PM

You are jealous we were able to schedule them and beat them. We controlled that game and beat them straight up. No fluke fumble recoveries run in for a 60 yard TD like your win vs. Mizzou this year. We didn't need luck like that to beat Bama. We just beat them - in their house - in front of 75,000 people - period. Be happy for us. You guys are foaming at the mouth to play Bama, and I don't blame you. It was great to beat them in one of the most hallowed of college football arenas.

You're a moron, Alabama is scared to play us is why the game won't happen. Take the fluke fumble play away and we still beat Missouri. It was your paper that disrespected us and opened the smack talk. I let the players do the playing. It is obvious that if your team were worthy of a BCS opponent, they would be playing one, not whining about not playing one. It must be hard to eat that humble pie after the Liberty Bowl (with a graduate on the selection board), wouldn't take you either. Welcome to San Jose!!! I'll see you there :wink:

badgerwolf
12-09-2004, 06:47 PM
Hey Guys -- He is a dumb, geographically-challenged Yankee; 'nuf said!

Who the hell knows or cares where DeKalb is other than those who live there? Sounds like a big cornfield to me!
:lol:

I'll let you decide :twisted:

http://www.nwherald.com/SportsSection/hut/290887347419042.php

The sad thing is, NIU potentially is a great bowl-season story. It is a mid-major program on the rise. It has proved it can play with and beat the big boys.

It should get to play in prime time against a proven team from one of the Bowl Championship Series conferences. Boston College, maybe, or perhaps even Purdue or Florida.

Instead, it gets Troy.

Better answer: Who even cares? This was a Division I-AA team four years ago. It beat Missouri and Marshall this year, which sounds good until you realize Cary-Grove could have beaten Missouri and Marshall this year.

NIU92alum
12-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Badgerwolf,

Nice little PDF for you on DeKalb complete with demographic info, and yes... Corn production stats!

gotroygo
12-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Has anyone even thought of the fact that NIU fans should be upset about this article too? Both of our teams need a good turn out at the game which is far away for both schools. And instead of doing an article in which it makes the bowl sound like it will be a great match-up and something that might make people want to actually go see, the article just leaves you thinking "well, why should we go?". It's really not a good article for either team.

BlueRaiderPride
12-10-2004, 09:42 AM
Who or what is Cary-Grove? Is this a high school in Illinois?

BTW, Iowa State couldn't beat Missouri, but they sure did come out on top of Northern Illinois. So maybe Gary-Grove can beat Missouri and Iowa State and Northern Illinois too!

This guy will certainly be feeling the heat when Troy's defense dismantles the overrated Northern Illinois football team on December 30th.