PDA

View Full Version : Ole Miss contacts Troy

TrojanWar
12-08-2004, 05:18 PM
...or so that is the latest rumor. It seems that everyone on their list has had no interest up to this point, so now they come calling on Larry. I hope if this is true that he tells them he's not interested either. They may end up having to call Cut back up and see if he wants his job back at this rate! Here is a link:

http://www.southernsportstonight.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=020309

Trojan1998
12-08-2004, 05:22 PM
I'm sure LB will at least listen if the Rebs want to talk. If he did leave for Oxford, maybe Koenning would be in line for the head job at Troy.

I would hate to lose LB, however.

troy4ever
12-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Well of course we all hope none of this ever happens and Larry stays at Troy. But if it did let's make sure we're not to quick to throw Koenning in line for the head job. Mike Dubose built awesome defenses in the places he was at including, Alabama, but that didn't make him a great head coach by any means.

TrojanWar
12-08-2004, 05:26 PM
If you have followed the situation in Oxford, then you know it's become a real mess and the administration is currently a laughing stock. I hope if Larry does talk to them that he considers the crap going on now and what happened with Cut. Sure, it's a lot more money than he's making now, but for how long? I say he either refuses to talk to them or talks to them and then decides he is not interested. That would be the smart thing to do in my opinion.

Scoots71
12-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Larry, Please stay. Everyone in Troy Nation loves you and you're the best coach we've ever had. Stay and build on that legacy. Please.

Trojan by Birth
12-08-2004, 05:42 PM
I don't see anything about it over on the Ole Miss boards... I threw out a line though... I'll let you know if they know anything.

TrojanWar
12-08-2004, 05:50 PM
SST in my opinion is the board for all Mississippi schools. I get sick of that show! All they talk about is Ole Miss and Mississippi State. Maybe the SST guys will be talking about it on the show tonight. Since they dropped Finebaum in Dothan, it's the only after work sports talk show we get. The thread said something about it being discussed on the Montgomery news at 6:00 tonight.

tntrojan
12-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Ole Miss was paying Cutcliffe $1.2 million. Larry would be hard pressed to turn that down, legacy or not. But maybe he'd be agreeable to a home and home with Troy if he were coaching the Rebels.

TUFAN
12-08-2004, 05:57 PM
That is wishful thinking. He would everything to loose and nothing to gain by doing that. I don't expect to see any SEC schools in the Gallery for several years, unless it was 2 or 3 for 1, and even then I don't think so. Our best hope is a GT or Southern Miss.

Troy93
12-08-2004, 08:27 PM
Guys, calm down. Let's not speculate right yet. As of now, nothing has happened & hopefully it won't. Just worry about the Bowl game.

Nice Trojan
12-08-2004, 09:57 PM
SST was talking to some Miss. guy tonight and they said the Rebels were flying in some assistant coach from Miami. Randy Shannon or something like that. So lets hope he takes it and if they do talk to LB, let's pray he decides to stay at TROY.

TrojanFan
12-09-2004, 01:37 PM
Serious question here guys,

If Coach Blakeney were to leave, how would fans react to a certain High School coach here in the state that won an SEC championship about 5 years ago if he were to be named Head Coach?

Sarahbelle
12-09-2004, 01:42 PM
No way, Trojanfan.

Trojan by Birth
12-09-2004, 01:43 PM
Dumbo? I mean Dubose? That guy was winless in Dothan. No way he sucks at coaching. I say hire Mike Turk or Slick Rick Neuheisel or Pat Dye or hell anyone but Dumbo.

JaredMc
12-09-2004, 02:36 PM
Winning an SEC Championship really makes you suck. Northview had no weight program before Dubose got there. On top of that he couldn't get the quality athletes the year he was there. Look what he has done with Luverne the past 2 years. I would not be suprised if Larry left (I hope not) and Dubose applied. I don't thiink he'd be an awful coach, just depends on what Troy had to pick from.

jerryopp
12-09-2004, 02:50 PM
Coach Dubose deserves another shot, Troy took a shot with LB and it worked out.

Don't get me wrong I don't want Coach Blakeny to leave, ever! But, we could do a lot worse than getting Mike Dubose to return to college coaching.

This may cause a riot, but if we were D1 when we Coach Blakney was hired, no way he gets this job. But, he came down to Troy and built a winner in D2 and D1-AA and now this same team is having success in D-1. If Coach Blakney is smart, and I think he is, he will wait a year or two, win a conference championship or two and maybe have a shot at his Alma Mater when Tubby is gone.

troyfan
12-09-2004, 02:53 PM
I don't think that Ole Miss is going to hire Larry. That wouldn't be a good career move for him anyway. It is hard to win there, although he dose have agood winning history from Troy that might help him recruit. If he does leave, then I will become an Ole Miss fan; but, please dear God DO NOT HIRE DUBOSE! BAD DECISION!

Trojan1998
12-09-2004, 02:58 PM
If Blakeney were to take a job such as Ole Miss, he would primarily be doing it becaus of money. Ole Miss can afford to pay a head coach five times what Troy can. Look at Urban Meyer of Utah. He has a great thing going in Salt Lake but MONEY TALKS. Florida will be paying him in the neighborhood of $2Million a year.

TrojanFan
12-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Guys, don't get me wrong with the question...

I'm not saying I want coach B to go, I really don't. I think he's done a great job and I want him to stay and keep leading the Trojans! I'm just curious as to how open Trojan fans are to Dubose IF somewhere down the road he had a shot at being the Head Trojan. The Troj/ama fans would probably go nuts if it happened.

TUFAN
12-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Dubose was a good assitant, if the Linebackers opens up at Troy, give him a chance. He would be a terrible choice as a Head Coach. He let the inmates run the assylum at UA.

I'm sure that anynamed jerryopp wouldn't be biased would they?

TrojanWar
12-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Dubose should stay at Luverne. He is finally out of his tailspin and we don't want to be the school he takes into another one! I would say IF Larry left to go anywhere else, then Vic should get the job. He deserves it.

TUEngineer
12-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Winning an SEC Championship really makes you suck. Northview had no weight program before Dubose got there. On top of that he couldn't get the quality athletes the year he was there. Look what he has done with Luverne the past 2 years. I would not be suprised if Larry left (I hope not) and Dubose applied. I don't thiink he'd be an awful coach, just depends on what Troy had to pick from.

Blah...Dubose didn't win crap at UA...Shaun Alexander won that SEC championship...I heard HORROR stories of what he did to those kids at Northview. He has got to be one of the worst coaches ever...Luverne already had a decent team before he got there. Sure, Northview didn't have much to work with, but he certainly didn't help...
I sure hope if he applies if LB leaves (hope he doesn't leave) they take his application, laugh at him, and put that sucker in File 13!

jerryopp
12-09-2004, 03:46 PM
You are absolutely right TUfan I am biased. I know Coach Dubose and I know that he is a good coach.

I doubt he would want to coach D1 football again. But I would not be opposed to the idea.

Having said that, it would be a sad day for Troy if Coach Blakney left. I worked on the Coach Blakney show while I was at Troy and he is a great guy. Win, lose, or draw he was always respectful and professional. Yeah, I remember the him being upset a few times, but by Sunday morning when he would come into the studio he was always smiling and joking around. IF he were to leave I would pull for him no matter where he goes. (well maybe not Auburn)