PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why I think we need to leave the Sunbelt when we can

CHughes1102
08-06-2008, 09:55 PM
You could beat the heck out of everybody in the Sunbelt and win in the New Orleans Bowl, but if the team who finished behind you wins the other bowl game they will get all of the attention because they play a better team in a better bowl....that my friends is why this conference is crap!! Hell C-USA gets ALOT of bowl games and their conference winner plays an SEC team. We play a stupid middle of the pack C-USA team that barely gets into a bowl. So yeah I would call C-USA a step up because of this reason right here. We may have better teams, but when it comes to postseason play C-USA KILLS the Sunbelt!!!

If we were in C-USA in 2006 we would have played South Carolina in the Liberty Bowl!!!! Instead we played Rice in a game where it wasnt a contest at all!!!

Sunbelt bowls: New Orleans Bowl- Sunbelt vs. middle of the pack C-USA

C-USA bowls: Autozone Liberty Bowl- C-USA champion vs. SEC
St. Petersburg Bowl- C-USA vs. Big East
New Orleans Bowl- C-USA vs. Sun Belt champion
Texas Bowl- C-USA vs. Big 12
Bell Hellicopters Armed Forces Bowl- C-USA vs. MWC
GMAC Bowl- C-USA vs. MAC or WAC

Look I understand that the Sunbelt is getting better every year, but it will literally take a good bit of years for the Sunbelt to ever catch the C-USA in not only Bowl games, but coverage in general. The Sunbelt gets looked down upon automatically by BCS guys and no matter how good the conference gets it will always be that way. The only way the Sunbelt could ever get better is if the teams get better and when that happens they will be screaming their heads off to leave.

Please prove me wrong Sunbelt!!!!

socrgoly25
08-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Well, it's certainly taking a step in the right direction, if anything. Now, hopefully we'll get another bowl that gives us a true second auto bid and the mumblings of the New Orleans Bowl replacing C-USA with the ACC becomes a reality. I'm thinking that because of the scenario you just spoke about that the latter could happen.

WeSuck.com
08-07-2008, 09:29 AM
And if we had won every game we could have played Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. If and buts, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

PLEASE STOP WITH THE CDOA STUFF!!!!!

Hot news flash: CDOA is just that, a dying football conference. Memphis is scrambling to get out - probably joining the Big East, with Orlando Community College and East Carolina making the push as well to join BE. That leaves Southern Old Miss as the only team that cares about football, oh yea and Marshall which is 1,500 miles away.

Which of these schools would draw anything in Troy?

Rice - Alcorn will bring a bigger crowd
SMU - see above
Tulsa - see above
UTEP - see above
Houston - see above
Tulane - see above
UA's B team - see above

And which school is clammering to get Troy to increase their attnedence? OK UA's B team would double their season attendence with or game.

And before we get all pretentious, what makes you think Rice, SMU, Tulsa, UTEP and Houston would want the Normal School anyway.

Get off this notion that CDOA is better (it isn't). The Sunbelt's new bowl deal just about insures us of two quality games. Look for Southern Old Miss to seriously consider an invite from the Sunbelt and look for Orlando Community to join if they don't get into the BE (they have a better shot than Boca or Miami State)

OwlFamily
08-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Remeber too that a LOT of bowl contracts are up in 2009. CUSA COULD loose a lot of those auto tie ins, and the Sunbelt could easily pick one up for an auto tie in.

CUSA is NOT a move up at this time. A few years ago it probalby was.

If FAU, TROY, and a few other Sunbelt teams win more of thier OOC games, and win 2 bowls this year the SunBelt would be primed to jump ahaead of WAC, MWC, and CUSA. The talent is now here. We just need to execute it.

WeSuck.com
08-07-2008, 10:04 AM
Remeber too that a LOT of bowl contracts are up in 2009. CUSA COULD loose a lot of those auto tie ins, and the Sunbelt could easily pick one up for an auto tie in.

If FAU, TROY, and a few other Sunbelt teams win more of thier OOC games, and win 2 bowls this year the SunBelt would be primed to jump ahaead of WAC, MWC, and CUSA. The talent is now here. We just need to execute it.

The only accurate statement I have ever heard from a Boca fan. Now get ready to finish 4th in the conference.

OwlFamily
08-07-2008, 10:11 AM
The only accurate statement I have ever heard from a Boca fan. Now get ready to finish 4th in the conference.

This just in, I recieved a snowball postmarked from hell, via wesuck.com's home address. :)

Paul of Troy
08-07-2008, 11:45 AM
And if we had won every game we could have played Ohio State in the Sugar Bowl. If and buts, woulda, coulda, shoulda.

PLEASE STOP WITH THE CDOA STUFF!!!!!

Hot news flash: CDOA is just that, a dying football conference. Memphis is scrambling to get out - probably joining the Big East, with Orlando Community College and East Carolina making the push as well to join BE. That leaves Southern Old Miss as the only team that cares about football, oh yea and Marshall which is 1,500 miles away.

Which of these schools would draw anything in Troy?

Rice - Alcorn will bring a bigger crowd
SMU - see above
Tulsa - see above
UTEP - see above
Houston - see above
Tulane - see above
UA's B team - see above

And which school is clammering to get Troy to increase their attnedence? OK UA's B team would double their season attendence with or game.

And before we get all pretentious, what makes you think Rice, SMU, Tulsa, UTEP and Houston would want the Normal School anyway.

Get off this notion that CDOA is better (it isn't). The Sunbelt's new bowl deal just about insures us of two quality games. Look for Southern Old Miss to seriously consider an invite from the Sunbelt and look for Orlando Community to join if they don't get into the BE (they have a better shot than Boca or Miami State)

Thank you for spelling it out for people. That's what I've been saying on the NCAAbbs boards for awhile.

Discophobia
08-07-2008, 02:18 PM
The NO Bowl is just one bowl the ACC is looking at since the dropped the smurf bowl in Boise. They Comish and his crewe were in Mobile getting the royal treatment from the GMAC bowl.

CHughes1102
08-07-2008, 04:12 PM

Yeah now that is true and the Sunbelt will have better OOC wins and hopefully we will be able to steal some of those bowls. I do believe Waters needs to pick it up a bit for this to happen, but he made a step in the right direction a few weeks back.

My goal really wasnt to talk bad about the Sunbelt because I like the Sunbelt, but I was trying to compare it to other conferences and see what everybody thought. Plus...whats better than telling an Alabama fan that a Sunbelt team beat them everytime they talk bad about us. I honestly dont believe that this conference is crap...it may have been a few years ago, but it isnt now. Haha LSU and OSU fans will soon find this out!!!!!

WeSuck.com
08-07-2008, 06:11 PM
The NO Bowl is just one bowl the ACC is looking at since the dropped the smurf bowl in Boise. They Comish and his crewe were in Mobile getting the royal treatment from the GMAC bowl.

No offense Disco, but let's look at the tale of the tape.

New Orleans: 24 hour city
Mobile: Closes at 7PM

New Orleans: Superdome
Mobile: Ladd-Peoples Stadium

New Orleans: Multiple 4-, 5-star Hotels
Mobile: Holiday Inn Express

New Orleans: Best restuarants in the world
Mobile: Yum Brands

New Orleans: Harrah's
Mobile: Greyhound Slots

They were probably just adding miles to their Frequent Flyer programs.

Trojans1andAll
08-07-2008, 06:28 PM

I'm from Mobile...and yeah, the NO Bowl is more appealing. There are some good restaurants Mobile, but not as many. And Mobile has nothing on NO in the gambling business. Stadiums aren't a contest.

Troy87
08-07-2008, 07:24 PM

Yes, but let's look at a couple of the aspects in the other column;

NO Bowl Payout per team: $325K
GMAC Bowl Payout per team: $750K

NO Bowl Date: Dec 21, between the Las Vegas and Pointsettia bowls
GMAC Date: Jan 6, between the Fiesta and BCS Championship bowls

Not saying those two items aren't outweighed by the others, but they will be factors.

arkstfan
08-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Yes, but let's look at a couple of the aspects in the other column;

NO Bowl Payout per team: $325K
GMAC Bowl Payout per team: $750K

NO Bowl Date: Dec 21, between the Las Vegas and Pointsettia bowls
GMAC Date: Jan 6, between the Fiesta and BCS Championship bowls

Not saying those two items aren't outweighed by the others, but they will be factors.

Did you know that the MAC pays a $500,000 fee for "marketing" to the GMAC and has to sell 10,000 tickets in order to get that payout from the GMAC?

arkstfan
08-08-2008, 08:23 AM
It's a fools errand to spend your days dreaming of another conference. You do the best you can. You set high goals and work to achieve them. If that leads to new and better opportunities, that's great, a wonderful reward.

There is just no assurance that once you get that conference patch for your uniform that the name will mean anything.

Example.
After the 1961 Utah State got left behind when the Mountain States (Skyline) Conference dissolved as Denver dropped football and four schools left for the newly formed WAC.

For all those years USU fans dreamed of the day they could get in the WAC. In the meantime there was the Big West, then the Sun Belt.

At the same time New Mexico State saw New Mexico leave the Border Conference for the Skyline then the WAC. Their Border Conference opponents Arizona, Arizona State and UTEP all left for the WAC at the same time.

For all those years NMSU fans dreamed of the day they could get in the WAC. In the meantime there was the Big West and then the Sun Belt.

Along the way, Arizona and Arizona State left the WAC for the Pac-8 /Pac-10.

Still no room for NMSU or USU in the WAC.

When the day arrived for them to accomplish their dream their old opponents from the Border and Skyline leagues they hoped and dreamed of rejoining in the WAC were all gone or would leave within a few weeks to CUSA.

Forty plus years of hoping to join the WAC and all they got when they got there was WAC patches for their jerseys and rejoining the same schools they had been in the Big West with and Hawaii.

The conference they dreamed of joining was basically the conference they grumbled about being in all those years with Hawaii thrown in.

You can't focus on what group of 8 to 12 schools you wish you could join. All you can do is do your best to be great. That sort of focus let Arizona and Arizona State climb to the Pac-10. It got Colorado out of the Skyline into what is now the Big 12. It took UTEP to CUSA. It let UNLV climb from the Big West into the MWC. USU and NMSU accomplished their dream but I don't think it matches what they dreamed of 20 years ago.