PDA

View Full Version : Troy vs. UCF

TSUWhiner
08-01-2008, 04:38 PM
any of you old geezers at this game? This is personally why I want to see us renew the real rivalry against UCF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEOdn-Uuzus

NWFLTrojan
08-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Yea, some of us that hang out here were on the sidelines. It was a hell of a game.

TSUWhiner
08-01-2008, 10:55 PM
I think I was in 4th grade back then and I sure as hell wish I could have seen it..amazing..it seemed like the rivalry was more intense than JSU? or what is your take on it?

Whiner

FloriTrojan
08-02-2008, 05:04 AM
I was at all of those games.

One game drew something like 12,000 Troy fans, and another, more!

The full Sound would be there (played "Dixie" under the stadium during a T-storm one year). The Tangerine Bowl was rocking! We all made noise.

I remember saying to friends that this was the first time I ever had a big-time I-A experience at a Troy game.

Games like this still make me scratch my head thinking why this growing and good rivalry was halted (by UCF). These games held some of the UCF home crowd records for many years.

TSU-Baggs
08-02-2008, 06:48 AM
I, Bob and many of our central FL Trojan fans were there. It was a heck of a game and the stadium was rockin' pretty loud. The rivalry between UCF and TSU back then was pretty intense and the two teams didn't have a lot of "love" for each other. I seem to recall there was just as much action in the stands as there was on the field that night. I'd like to see that rivalry rekindled, but I think UCF wants to avoid Troy like the plague.

Pcbtrojan
08-02-2008, 09:44 AM
I seem to remember beating them when they had a QB that went on to play for the Vikings, what was his name??? Oh I forgot he never played in a Super Bowl.

Nice Trojan
08-02-2008, 11:08 PM
We used to stand on the sidelines and yell his name through our megaphones - "Culpepper - Culpepper" - Good times, good times. Remember that Troyfan.

troyfan
08-03-2008, 02:31 PM
We used to stand on the sidelines and yell his name through our megaphones - "Culpepper - Culpepper" - Good times, good times. Remember that Troyfan.

Yes I do. That was classic.

TU/JSU Fan
08-04-2008, 08:18 AM
I have a hard time believing that the rivalry was as big as TSU/JSU... I imagine that UCF/TSU was a great rivalry, but Troy and Jacksonville was a LONG time in-state small-school rivalry that basically was a smaller version of Alabama/Auburn. I know most students at Troy don't know it now, but believe it or not JSU's band still yells Whup Troy - Whup Troy during Dixie (EVERY SINGLE TIME). JSU students still know there was a rival there and JSU Fans are eager to play Troy, but for some reason the current regime won't play unless it is a home-home series which can't happen. Hopefully with a new AD coming on board in the next couple of months they will require football to at least 'look' into the possibility of playing Troy whenever they can. I know that Troy won't play a IAA every year, but the years that they will it would be nice if that IAA was JSU!

WeSuck.com
08-04-2008, 09:28 AM
It's not much of a rivalry when one team does all of the winning - and by large margins. Larry plowed the 'cocks on a regular basis and it got old.

Now, HilljaxState is just seen as a true wannabe. Division IA (FCS)? Please, do yourself a favor and move back to the GulfSouth.

CHughes1102
08-04-2008, 09:37 AM
It's not much of a rivalry when one team does all of the winning - and by large margins. Larry plowed the 'cocks on a regular basis and it got old.

Now, HilljaxState is just seen as a true wannabe. Division IA (FCS)? Please, do yourself a favor and move back to the GulfSouth.

Yeah and plus we moved on to FBS and left them behind. Now all they want to do is follow us everywhere!!! Now dont get me wrong if they improve their athletics I wouldnt mind them moving up, but they have no shot at moving up now. I honestly dont know what makes them think they can even join this conference. We will have 2 new members in football very soon and we dont need any more.

TU/JSU Fan
08-04-2008, 11:13 AM
LB plowed the cocks on a regular basis, but the all time record belongs to JSU....

JSU figures that by 2013 when they can move to FBS there will be an opening in the SBC. By then Memphis will more than likely be in Big East and someone from the SBC will take their place in CUSA leaving a spot for JSU in the SBC.

OR

A totally new conference will be created from CUSA/SBC/and current FCS teams (like Appy, Ga Southern and JSU).

It will happen.. The work is in progress and it will take time, but they will probably go FBS eventually!

Troy87
08-04-2008, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=WeSuck.com;88169]It's not much of a rivalry when one team does all of the winning - and by large margins. Larry plowed the 'cocks on a regular basis and it got old. QUOTE]

Don't want to be a wet blanket on the subject, but....

Though LB's record against UCF is a strong at 4-1, large margins of victory is somewhat of a stretch. His largest margin was 14 pts, in '93. Troy's all time largest margin of victory against UCF was in 1987 in the D-II playoffs, which was also the first time we ever played them (I was at that game), and it was 21 points.

Our largest margin of loss to UCF was also by LB....11 pts in 1991, his first season as Troy's coach. But, to his credit, he never lost to them again!

TU/JSU Fan
08-04-2008, 03:40 PM
WeSuck was talking about Jacksonville State who LB never lost to. He beat JSU everytime they played, but the all-time series record between the two teams still is in JSU's Favor.