PDA

View Full Version : 4 Star Receiver, from GA, on the waiver wire!

Shallow_Hal
08-01-2008, 02:40 PM
4 star receiver, Josh Jarboe, was kicked off Oklahoma's football team today. Something about a rap video about guns and violence.

He would be a big addition to our team. And we do get guys on second chances, why not make a fly on him? He doesn't have the rap sheet Willie Williams from Miami had. LB could keep this guy straight.

tee-roy
08-01-2008, 03:04 PM
4 star receiver, Josh Jarboe, was kicked off Oklahoma's football team today. Something about a rap video about guns and violence.

He would be a big addition to our team. And we do get guys on second chances, why not make a fly on him? He doesn't have the rap sheet Willie Williams from Miami had. LB could keep this guy straight.

No thanks.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/ncaa/08/01/stoops.dismisses.jarboe.ap/

TUTrojan
08-01-2008, 03:09 PM
He better hope he can play football. Rap career not looking too promising:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB9btJr4uTc

Burn the Horse
08-01-2008, 03:12 PM
yeah, go post that on the UAB board. they need talent and they seem to cater to the thuggish-type.

CHughes1102
08-01-2008, 03:18 PM
yeah, go post that on the UAB board. they need talent and they seem to cater to the thuggish-type.

Yeah this would get them excited!!! Heck they will try to encourage him to throw some props to UAB in one of his raps then try to use that as the intro video for the basketball team.

Burn the Horse
08-01-2008, 03:40 PM
hahahahaha, +1 Hughes!

TU/JSU Fan
08-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Jacksonville State will probably take him.. in their media day yesterday the HFC said that they were still looking for 3 transfers that could help immediately. Don't be shocked to see this kid up the road some in Jacksonville.. Nothing stopped them from Ryan Perriloux so I doubt that they would mind getting a bigtime WR to go with him..

Burn the Horse
08-01-2008, 04:13 PM
heck yeah. one or two more of these guys and Jacksonville will have a working Crip chapter. Go Cocks!

TU/JSU Fan
08-01-2008, 04:48 PM
I will give JSU HFC Crowe props for NOT taking Fred Rouse. He and Ryan P. visited the same day, but Crowe's background check on Rouse was apparently a lot worse than Ryan and the president said "NO" to Rouse. So... If you wonder why the Pres was in in this it is because the AD is retiring in August so he was lame duck and didn't matter what he thought.

Trojan1998
08-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Anybody heard anything this week on Jarboe's whereabouts?

FoulPolePhenom
08-12-2008, 10:57 PM
No lie, I heard a rumor that he was on campus today checking things out. Stay tuned...

trojansWILLrise
08-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Taken down in respect.

TrojanWar
08-13-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm hearing the same thing. Let's not start trashing the guy before anything is even announced.

TU/JSU Fan
08-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Is this for real? Did he really transfer to Troy? That would be pretty amazing.

Of course he has to sit a year, but that is not a big deal provided he can stay out of trouble while he sits.

TrojanWar
08-13-2008, 11:19 AM
Is this for real? Did he really transfer to Troy?

I think that is what we are all wanting to know. Nothing has been released from Troy, so at this point it is still speculation.

TrojanWar
08-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Try this:

http://www.gulfeast.com/index.php/troy_blog/index/

and

http://www.dothaneagle.com/dea/sports/college/troy/article/former_oklahoma_signee_interested_in_troy/31701/

FoulPolePhenom
08-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Is this for real? Did he really transfer to Troy? That would be pretty amazing.

Of course he has to sit a year, but that is not a big deal provided he can stay out of trouble while he sits.

Why would he have to sit a year?

Rette
08-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Former Cedar Grove Player Joins Trojans Courtesy: Troy Athletics
Release: 08/13/2008
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics13/200/XJ/XJFXEONLAYBMXGT.20080813164356.jpg
Courtesy: Kevin Glackmeyer

Troy University head football coach Larry Blakeney announced today the addition of Josh Jarboe, a receiver from Cedar Grove HS in Decatur, Ga., to the Trojans roster.

Jarboe was rated as one of the top 10 prep receivers in the nation by ESPN and Rivals.com last year. He originally signed with the University of Oklahoma, but will enroll at Troy University.

“Troy University has always been interested in providing opportunities for young people to better themselves, and this is a situation where a young man who has made some mistakes is looking for a second chance,” Blakeney said. “I have met with Josh, and I am convinced that he is ready, and willing, to do the things we need for him to do to be a productive member of both this football team and the Troy University community.”

The Trojans will continue preparation for their season-opener at Middle Tennessee with practice sessions each afternoon this week. The week will include the teams’ second scrimmage on Thursday night at 6:30 p.m.

Troy will travel to face Middle Tennessee on Thursday night, August 28, in Murfreesboro, Tenn. That game will be televised by ESPN Regional Television.

Rette
08-13-2008, 12:02 PM
http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/JOSHJARBOE10_17150.JPG
Josh Jarboe

Wide Receiver
Ellenwood (GA) Cedar Grove
Ht: 6-foot-3
Wt: 195 lbs
Forty: 4.4 secs
Bench max: 225 pounds
Class: 2008 (High School)

Rivals.com Rating: 6.0 (About (http://javascript<b></b>:openHelp(1);))
Position Ranking: 10
Friday, August 1, 2008

Rette
08-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Oklahoma dismisses coveted recruit Jarboe in wake of Internet video

By Tim Griffin
ESPN.com

Oklahoma (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/clubhouse?teamId=201) has kicked freshman wide receiver Josh Jarboe (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=377843) off the team, coach Bob Stoops announced Friday.

"We are disappointed in this outcome, but our complete review and the final decision is in the best interest of the program," Stoops said in a prepared statement.

Jarboe, ranked 13th on ESPN's list of top high school players last season, was sentenced in May to two years' probation and 80 hours of community service for carrying a gun on the grounds of his high school in Decatur, Ga. An assistant principal caught him there with a pistol in his possession in the school parking lot.

Jarboe was initially charged with a felony, but his charges were reduced to a misdemeanor.

Earlier this week, Jarboe was the subject of a 74-second video posted on YouTube. Jarboe's obscenity-laced rap included references to shooting people and guns.

The Tulsa World reported that Stoops' decision came after he met Friday morning with Jarboe.

"We outlined for Josh the expectations we had for him when he arrived and unfortunately, those expectations have not been met," Stoops said. "Josh needs to learn from this experience. We hope he can move forward in a positive manner."

Jarboe, a 6-foot-3, 195-pounder, was one of the most heralded players in Oklahoma's 2008 recruiting class. He was ranked by ESPN as the nation's 10th-best wide receiver after producing 34 catches for 643 yards for Cedar Grove High School last season. He had 15 touchdown receptions on 92 catches in his high school career.

The Sooners' fall camp in preparation for the 2008 season begins Sunday in Norman, Okla.

Trojan2003
08-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Why would he have to sit a year?

Because of transfer rules. However, according to ajc.com he is eligbile to play this season. I am confused...

TU/JSU Fan
08-13-2008, 12:47 PM
So I am guessing that he never actually 'enrolled' at OU?

Someone asked me why he would have to sit and my answer would be that since he is coming from FBS to a FBS program then he would have to sit a year (per NCAA rules.. you can go FBS down to FCS, Div II, Div III, NAIA and play tomorrow, but FBS to FBS transfers require a year to sit).

So.. If he never actually was enrolled and started at OU then he can get a release from OU's scholarship and be immediately eligible? Is that what you guys are gathering from this? To me it is confusing as I haven't seen someone leave a FBS Program and go to another without having to sit (look at the Derron Furr thread in the "Everything Else" Forum - he is in the same situation... True Freshman, leaves Auburn, goes to Memphis and is having to sit this year).

Why would this guy not be in the same boat? Or did Auburn not give a release so he HAS to sit a year?

Strange strange strange...

Trojan2003
08-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Why would this guy not be in the same boat? Or did Auburn not give a release so he HAS to sit a year?

Strange strange strange...

Deron Furr enrolled at Auburn early and participated in spring drills.

FoulPolePhenom
08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Because of transfer rules. However, according to ajc.com he is eligbile to play this season. I am confused...

But he never actually played or participated, that's why I asked why he would have to sit?

Trojan2003
08-13-2008, 01:13 PM
But he never actually played or participated, that's why I asked why he would have to sit?

Drew's blog:

Drew is Jarboe eligible to play this season? Thanks.
Posted by Trojan2003 on 08/13 at 12:32 PM

- - -

That’s what I am trying to figure out. It’s what I posted in a blow right below this one. I think he is, but I don’t know yet if he was enrolled in OU for summer school when he was dismissed. I think that would keep him out for a year, but that’s just guesswork. I hope to find out later this afternoon. If he wasn’t enrolled in summer classes, he should be able to play if he got his release from OU to attend Troy.
Posted by Drew Champlin on 08/13 at 12:39 PM

- - -

Thanks, Drew. I found this earlier today:

ajc.com:

“He passed two summer classes at Oklahoma, Kenner says, and completed much of his community service.”
... “Coaches say a string of schools have called — from Big Ten and SEC programs to historically black colleges. He’s eligible to play this season and could choose a new school this week.” ...

("Lawyer: Ex-Sooner Jarboe ‘victim of technology’”, ajc.com, 8/12/08)
Posted by Trojan2003 on 08/13 at 12:50 PM
Page 1 of 1 pages

Trojan2003
08-13-2008, 01:17 PM
ESPN.com: Former Sooners receiver Jarboe transfers to Troy
-> http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3533386

Trojan2003
08-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Drew's blog: Yet more information on Jarboe
-> http://www.gulfeast.com/index.php/troy_blog/yet_more_information_on_jarboe/

Charlie NT73
08-13-2008, 01:34 PM
ESPN story states Jarboe did transfer to Troy.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3533386

DedicatedTrojan84
08-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Can he play?

http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133&d=1218652966

Fanof49ASU
08-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Very funny thread.

MTPiKapp
08-13-2008, 02:00 PM
LB could keep this guy straight.

No offense, but Bob Stoops dropped the guy and Bob Stoops is pretty hard nosed. I'm not saying that Blakeney can't do it, and just because Stoops dropped him doesn't mean he didn't think he could do it. Perhaps Stoops just didn't think the risk/reward was great enough to hang on to him considering the depth of talent at OU, whereas the depth of talent at Troy obviously not what it is at OU Blakeney feels the risk/reward is worth it.

JonesOxygen
08-13-2008, 02:07 PM
We certainly have a history of second chances, I can't think of any that have been bad?

Rette
08-13-2008, 02:20 PM
This is purely speculation on my part, but I can't help but think that Chip Reeves might have figured into Jarboe's decision to come to Troy. Last week I was trying to get some info on Reeves and I ran across an article that talked about the game that Reeves HS played against Jarboe. It went on and made reference to the on field relationship that they have with one another. I didn't make the connection then because until today I did not know anything about Jarboe. Of course, now that it has more relevance to Troy, I have not been able to find that article .

Trojan2003
08-13-2008, 02:25 PM
This is purely speculation on my part, but I can't help but think that Chip Reeves might have figured into Jarboe's decision to come to Troy. Last week I was trying to get some info on Reeves and I ran across an article that talked about the game that Reeves HS played against Jarboe. It went on and made reference to the on field relationship that they have with one another. I didn't make the connection then because until today I did not know anything about Jarboe. Of course, now that it has more relevance to Troy, I have not been able to find that article .

Drew's blog:

... "Jarboe is friends with freshman wideout Chip Reeves, who played at Stone Mountain. “Chip spoke well of him as a competitor and as a player,” Blakeney said." ...

TU/JSU Fan
08-13-2008, 04:57 PM
MTSU Fans... (not all.. just the ones that have been negative in this thread, other threads, and even on ESPN.com)

I think this has a little more to do with this little point..

Oklahoma is in the midwest and is pretty 'white' as far as an area goes. The average person in Oklahoma really doesn't know that much about inner-city Atlanta kids. I would imagine that Stoops did what he did to make sure that his football team's image among the OU fans didn't slip because of one kid. Troy, on the other hand, is much more accepting of the inner-city Atlanta kid because well.. We are right here on the cusp of Atlanta and our average fan knows what kind of kids you get from there. MTSU would have probably taken him too considering the distance you have from ATL too and your average fan being a little more understanding too.

I definitely do not think that his first violation (the gun at school) is good. Heck.. That is one of the worst things that you can do at school next to actually using that gun, but this rap video thing is just ridiculous. He may not have deserved a second chance after the gun incident, but if everyone is going to give it to him then he definitely deserves another chance after this rap video. I don't think very many Troy fans are going to care about this video.

If some of the more conservative Troy fans find out about the gun thing then the staff may get a little flack in signing him, but if all they really pay attention to is the rap video then I don't think much will be said. Now... That being said I would guarantee that he is instantly put on a SHORT leash. Anything resembling a problem and he is gone (I would imagine). Perhaps now, after losing your scholarship to play for a top 10 team is yanked, he realizes what he has lost and gets his act together, plays 4 incredible years for the Trojans and makes it big!

I have seen it with Ryan Perrioloux since he signed with JSU. He was put on an incredibly short leash and since signing with JSU he has done nothing but good things. I honestly think that Jarboe can do the same thing. Once you have lost something that was near and dear to you many times you will try to make up for it by making sure that it doesn't happen again.

If Jarboe screws up here then there is an excellent chance he goes back home and works in his local gas station... No other team is going to give him a 4th chance.

littlebittyschool
08-13-2008, 05:16 PM
I predict that we will never hear of this kid in any trouble whatsoever in his time at Troy. If he does happen to get in trouble here, it will be once, and he will be gone. Period. End of story.

I was for bringing Willie Williams here too. I think if he would have been in a better situation like Troy and had a stronger influence like LB then we would have been talking about Troy having the best 2 linebackers in the Sunbelt this year.

Troy is a small kingdom with very little trouble to be found. LB is King. And it's good to be king.

This kid will be fine and if he's not... then he'll be gone. Just that simple. Judge him by his behavior here at Troy, not what he has done in the past.

Hemi Man
08-13-2008, 05:32 PM
I predict that we will never hear of this kid in any trouble whatsoever in his time at Troy. If he does happen to get in trouble here, it will be once, and he will be gone. Period. End of story.

I was for bringing Willie Williams here too. I think if he would have been in a better situation like Troy and had a stronger influence like LB then we would have been talking about Troy having the best 2 linebackers in the Sunbelt this year.

Troy is a small kingdom with very little trouble to be found. LB is King. And it's good to be king.

This kid will be fine and if he's not... then he'll be gone. Just that simple. Judge him by his behavior here at Troy, not what he has done in the past.

I totally agree. One strike and your out, but give the 18 year old one more chance.

TU/JSU Fan
08-13-2008, 05:34 PM
100% support your post LBS! Troy is a hard place to get in trouble in!! If you get in trouble here then you would be in much worse shape elsewhere. I agree that his leash will be EXTREMELY short in that one and done.. End of story as you put it!

I, also, was for bringing Willie Williams here.. I think he would have been fine in Troy and would have definitely added to our defense!

OwlFamily
08-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Nice pick up guys,

I havent read all the posts here, but I hope you can reign him in a bit. If you can he'll be a heck of a player for you.

Now since it woulnt be a complete thread without a dig.....

Nice to see that Troy wants to go the route of Miami, you trying to be the Thug U of the Sunbelt?;)

TU/JSU Fan
08-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Troy has to keep up with Jacksonville State in picking up folks kicked off of other teams! Since JSU got Ryan Perilloux you knew Troy was going to have to pick up a thug eventually! : )

(JOKING)

troyboy2003
08-13-2008, 07:14 PM
I think LB's the greatest, but I am very disappointed that he is allowing this thug to come to Troy. This kid already had second chances. He was recruited to Oklahoma AFTER being charged with bringing a gun to high school! Then he was too stupid to pick up on the message, so he made this stupid internet video. If we have to stoop to recruiting punks like this, then we have not come very far as a program. A college education is a privilege, not a right, not an entitlement. This POS has already proven he doesn't have good sense. We don't need him that badly.

Hemi Man
08-13-2008, 07:39 PM
I think all kids deserve a second, third and sometimes fourth chances. Obviously depending on the severity of the offenses. If he can't walk the straight and narrow then get rid of him, but he is 18. He hasn't lived yet, don't cancel his life out at such an early age. I do feel that he will be on a very short leash as others have mentioned. Would it be such a big deal if he wasn't a star football player?

TUTrojan
08-13-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm all for giving someone a second chance. However, especially after what happened at Virginia Tech, it is scary to have someone that has been in trouble for a gun at school AND someone that has publicly rapped about gun violence.

I don't think anything will happen, and I'm sure he will be on a very short leash. I hope he can find himself at Troy and develop into a solid man.

Hemi Man
08-13-2008, 08:33 PM
That's a valid point. Wish we knew the whole story.

Troy87
08-13-2008, 09:05 PM
I think LB's the greatest, but I am very disappointed that he is allowing this thug to come to Troy. This kid already had second chances. He was recruited to Oklahoma AFTER being charged with bringing a gun to high school! Then he was too stupid to pick up on the message, so he made this stupid internet video. If we have to stoop to recruiting punks like this, then we have not come very far as a program. A college education is a privilege, not a right, not an entitlement. This POS has already proven he doesn't have good sense. We don't need him that badly.

According to the article HemiMan posted, the gun charge came 2 months after he signed his letter with Oklahoma. To that point, he had no significant offenses that have been made public.

If LB had not set down with this kid face to face, I would not be a proponent of him coming to Troy, but I think Larry has excellent judgement with these kids, and if he thinks Jarboe is worth the chance, I'll back him on it.

As for Willie Williams, who was mentioned in a couple posts in this thread, this is not comparable to that situation. Williams had aready had 10 or 11 run-ins with the law, and was awaiting word on another one. Jarboe may have had a run-in with the gun possession thing, but the video is a PR issue with OU and the Big 12. I think his run-in with the gun thing may have possibly taught him a lesson too. This is just me reading between the lines of several articles and what LB has offered up so far.

trojanbrutha
08-13-2008, 09:44 PM
I think LB is a very good judge of character and if he says this kid is a benefit to the team and the Troy community, I'm behind him all the way. The article I read earlier said that an O lineman videoed him and posted it without consent or consideration of his temmate...why? Because they're young and not as intelligent as they will be by the time they graduate. We all detest violence and that's a given.

But let's remember that he's been tried and is presently payin' his debt to society. Let's not judge him without knowin' him. After all, he's a Trojan...

Discophobia
08-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Pass the Kool Aide! If LB says it is alright then by God its alright, give the kid a chance lets put him in a jersey and win some games!

Navarre Trojan
08-14-2008, 06:16 AM

represents the facts as I read them. This kid did not bring the gun to school, he was in the parking lot looking at it when the cops came up. He was scared, and put it under his shirt. One thing led to another, they found the gun, but the BIG DEAL was that there was a stolen gun in the car as well. NOW, I am not defending this kid, it was at school, in the parking lot, etc., BUT, from what I understand, this is how it went down.

Bad crowd, bad situation, bad peer group, etc., Gets to OU, hard to change your 'friend pickin habbits' at 18, gets into another situation in the dorm, and OU (with its gazillion 4 and 5 star athletes) wasn't willing to roll those dice again. LB, confers with them, talks with the kid, the kids parents, etc., and makes the call to give this kid a shot. Change his life maybe, who knows?

Buzz Lightyear
08-14-2008, 06:25 AM
I am with Navarre Trojan on this one. If the kid comes and is a bad apple he will have a time with LB too and probably be gone. Chris Bradwell comes to mind but this is a last decent D 1 stop (apologies to the new name) and a good many will wake up and smell the coffee. LB I am sure has a leash that is pretty short for this kid and he knows it so lets see what happens. Since currently ineligible barring appeal that may factor into his staying and staying the course.

TUTrojan
08-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Seems that I read a story where the assistant principal actually witnessed Jarboe looking at the gun in a parking lot behind some practice fields (definitely not in school). He reported it to the police.

Shallow_Hal
08-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Sounds like someone on here was right all along?!?

Troy_Nomad
08-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Can't really blame either side for their decisions. With the legal climate we have in this country now, OU had to get rid of him. Even if he has no record of violence, if something were to go down, some lawyer would put the gun charge and rap video together and claim OU failed to respond properly - OU would pay dearly. As far as the actual video I did watch it. Yes the lyrics were pretty bad. But that's freestyle rap. As a former RA at Troy, I know that this kid is the not the first college football player to try his hand at freestylin. Happens all the time. In the cafeteria, bathroom, hallway, dorm room, Sorrell College of Business. And it's never done using Rascal Flatts-like "sitting on porch drinkin ice cold cherry coke" lyrics. He's probably been listening to this type of music his whole life. If he ever does decide to be violent, it'll probably be directed at the "friend" that posted it on youtube.