PDA

View Full Version : Troy Has Experience

FliryVorru
07-29-2008, 01:57 PM
I was reading the Big 12 blog on ESPN.com and cam across this mention of Troy:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/ncfnation/0-0-104/Is-playing-experience-overrated-.html

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

One thing that my readers will learn is that I absolutely love statistics and rankings. And while the nature of football doesn't lend itself to detailed numbers-crunching study like baseball or even basketball, I'll still let you know about something if I think it's intriguing.

That's why I like the chart that football guru Phil Steele came up with where he broke down team experience rankings in his most recent yearbook.

Steele has developed a scale that gives the most benefit to a team with seniors in the starting lineup or the two-deep, and also accounts for juniors, sophomores and freshman players in the roster.

His system gives a team 3 points for every senior starter, 2 1/2 points for a senior in the two deep, 2 points for junior starters, 1 1/2 points for juniors in the two deep, 1 point for a sophomore starter and 1/2 point for a sophomore in the two deep. He then subtracted 1 point for every freshman starter and 1/2 point for every freshman listed in the two deep.

(...)

It's interesting that the most experienced teams in Steele's study were Navy and Army, followed by Memphis, Troy and Hawaii.

Interesting break down of experience and it seems like it covers everything I could think of to undermine it. For example, Temple returns ALL 24 starters from last year's team, but they're ranked somewhere in the 40's in the experience breakdown because they're all Sophomores and Juniors.

Burn the Horse
07-29-2008, 07:24 PM
interesting find Flirry, thanks for the heads up!

TSUWhiner
07-29-2008, 10:13 PM
"If I was a gambling man, I'd bet there were more bowl teams among the bottom five at the end of the season than from the top five. "

I found this sentence interesting as well in this article. Troy goes 8-4 and does not go to a bowl game...very interesting......

Whiner