PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Game Challenge!

littlebittyschool
12-08-2004, 12:13 PM
I created a user group under th ESPN bowl game challenge game by Sonic. Go to ESPN.com find the bowl game challenge thing. Register and sign up if you haven't already got a user name. The group I created is Troy University the pass word is gotroy all one word all lower case. Anyone and everyone on the board is welcome to join (that goes for you other Sunbelt posters too!) All you have to do is pick a winner of each of the 28 bowl games and assign a point value (1-28) for each game. You want to put the highest value next to the game you have the most confidence in. For instance, I think Hawaii will kill UAB so I pick Hawaii and I put 28 points on that game. I think Bama will beat Minnesota, but I don't feel good at all about it so I only put 5 points on that game. Etc., etc.

Maybe we can have a small prize for the winner!

Good luck!

TrojanWar
12-08-2004, 12:16 PM
I'm in. I could donate a snake for a prize. Any takers?

littlebittyschool
12-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Go ahead and sign up! The first bowl game is this Tuesday, Dec 14th (North Texas vs USM). You can come in late on the game, but the more games you miss, the more chances for points you have to miss out on!

Even though you'll be in the Troy group, you'll also be in the ESPN overall thingy. Last year I was in the 99th percential until I lost a few big games (way to go Va Tech choking to Cal last year). I ended up finishing in the 85th percential and had a record of 22-6 (it ain't the picks, it's the points you put by them). The ESPN prizes for first place were really good. PHAT LEWT! The winner last year actually missed 2 or 3 games, you don't have to be perfect to win.

I'll post tips on how to pick on Friday, but get signed up. Who wouldn't want a chance to get a hold of Trojanwar's snake?

littlebittyschool
12-08-2004, 02:19 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20041206/capt.sge.miq76.061204231745.photo00.photo.default-380x245.jpg

Mr Ho and his employees prepare for the "great victory" celebration and the "if you can catch it, we can cook it" special promotion after he wins the bowl game challenge!

TUEngineer
12-08-2004, 02:21 PM
I just joined....I gave the Troy victory over NIU 28 points....gotta have the faith!

littlebittyschool
12-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Just to keep you in the football frame of mind.

A deep thought, from Jack Handy

I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

littlebittyschool
12-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Ok, you officially have until Dec 27th to get in your bowl entry, but if you wait that long you're going to miss a lot of games (and a lot of points). So sign up now! Thanks to those who signed up.

Here's littlebittyschool's official tips for winning Sonic Bowl Game Mania challenge:

Use what the experts predict Find some lines and some pick em sights of people who you trust. Collegefootballnews, cbssportsline, harmon, offical vegas odds, whoever. Don't just use one of these, but get two or three and compare them. If everywhere you look has all of the experts "agree" on the same team, then load up on the points.

Viva Las Vegas Look at the point spreads on the game. Theoretically, each team has a 50/50 chance to win. When picking straight up, the point spread handicaps the chance to win (that's what spreads are there for). Basically, for every point that a team is favored over another, then the percentage of that team winning is higher. I'm not sure on the math, but when Miami was a 21 point favorite over North Carolina this year, they were close to a 90% probability to win (but they did lose). Anything over a 20 point spread is about as close to a "lock" as you'll get. However, don't expect there to be very many double digit spreads. There is no "home team" in the bowls and there will be very few "David vs Goliath" match-ups.

Look out for the littlebitty's! Last year non-BCS schools were 2-3 vs BCS schools. There will be a few more of those matchups this year and a lot more of the littlebittys vs littlebittys match ups. Do your research when mid-majors collide and don't put a lot of points on these games.

Don't get burned by the "stinky" BCS conference The Big XII was 2-6 last year in the bowls. The ACC was a very nice 4-1. Look for most of the BCS conferences to be about break even though. But beware of the "stinky" over-rated conference. The bowls are very good at telling which conference is overrated and which one is not. I promise you one conference will stink it up and one will surprise.

Vote with your heads, not with your hearts Don't just put points on the team you like. If you must vote strictly on your favorite teams, put fewer points on them.

and Finally... Ignore all of the above advice and just do what feels right. Every year when people fill out their tourney brackets, the "experts" are out-picked by chimpanzees, chickens, coin flips, infants, and women who don't know anything about sports and just pick the teams based on who has the prettiest colors. Chance and Murphy's Law play as big a part as anything, especially since most of the teams are more evenly matched. You can even go by the "strongest animal" mascot theory (if the two mascots fought, who would win?). I would not suggest just putting in your point values 1 for the first game, 2 for the second, etc. or going backwards 28 for the first, 27 for the second etc. You'll have some sort of feeling on how good you think your pick is. It would really suck if you picked 27 out of 28 games right, but the one you missed is your 28 point game. You should be pretty sure what games are your 1-5 point games and your 23-28 point games. The ones in the middle make the difference.

Good luck!

littlebittyschool
12-22-2004, 10:23 AM
If you haven't signed up yet, you still have time. Entries won't be locked until the 27th, but you're about to miss out on some major point opportunities coming up! The leaderboard tightend up some after last night's game. For those of you who are 2-0 give yourself a big pat on the back. Out of the dozen or so people on CFN's pickem sheet, only 3 are 2-0. Pay attention to Pete F and Matt Z on there, they know their college football. You can also still edit your confidence point allocation up until Monday as well. Don't put too much on tonight's game! Should be a tight one. Feel free to bet the farm on Hawaii over UAB. Lock of the year!

JaredMc
12-22-2004, 10:40 AM
It just told me the group is locked.

littlebittyschool
12-22-2004, 11:01 AM
My bad, you're right. You can still create an entry, but you can't join the group after it starts. If you want to make an entry, just let me know what the name of it is and we can check it and include you too so you can have bragging rights. It won't show up on the same screen, but if you choose Troy as your mascot thing, I think you might be able to link up with ours on the "affiliated" option.

JaredMc
12-22-2004, 11:29 AM
OK, my picks are up, Entry name and Location is Trojan DeathMachine, and I am affiliated with Troy.

Nice Trojan
12-22-2004, 12:15 PM
My bad folks, I missed one last night. Still pulling in 22 big points for us so far. Hated to go against NT, but Southern Miss was playing good ball. Had to wager 22 points on that one. Missed out on last nights game though. I thought Syracuse was on a roll going into that bowl game. I didnt know they were going to bring their B-Team. So I am 1-1 in the standings so far. Hopefully some of my later picks will produce some points for our group.

jerryopp
12-22-2004, 12:26 PM
I am one of the three that is 2-0, I can't believe I put such a low confidence number on last nights game. Oh well, come on Trojans you are my 28 game.

littlebittyschool
12-22-2004, 01:02 PM
I got hoodwinked by UNT, but I only put 1 point on that game. I wish I too would have put more than 18 points on GT. It's just been one game, but it looks like the ACC may once again be a strong conference with the Big East looking stiiiiinnnnnkkkkyyyy.

Trojan1998
12-22-2004, 03:13 PM
I'm two for two so far. I have Memphis winning tonight, Marshall and UCLA tomorrow night, and Hawaii on Friday night. Then the 27th kicks off bowl week - should be exciting.

littlebittyschool
12-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Nice pass defense there Memphis! Ever thought of making an adjustment or two? Heck, I think Sarahbelle could throw passes to me and we could burn the Tiger D for at least a couple of TDs.

One person in our group is 3-0. Hat's off to you! Only Pete and Matt Z from college footballnews are 3-0 from the "experts". Rember though, it's not your record, it's the points you have and even more importantly, the points you have left. When the entries are locked (on the 27th) you'll be able to look at everyone else's picks. The leaderboard will be up then and you can see how your doing individually against everyone around the country and I think our group maybe competeing too.

Two games tonight. Marshall vs Cincy, bascially a toss up. Hope you didn't risk too many points on this one either way. Las Vegas Bowl tonight... load up on UCLA, should be pretty safe bet, but the Bruins do have a few key defensive players out so it might be tighter than it should be.

Tommorrow it's Hawaii vs the Univeristy of Assault and Battery. Go Hawaii! That'll finish us off until Monday when the bowls come in fast and furious and the leader will change quickly. Remember to keep an eye on the points left though. Usually, I like to have my big points in the bag before New Year's eve, but there were some post New Year's eve games that I really liked this year. Littlebitty may make a big run in the end!

Nice Trojan
12-23-2004, 11:14 PM
UCLA needs to pull this one out. I haven't got one right since the Southern Miss win. How the heck does Marshall lose to Cinc? I got some big points (27) on UCLA. They need to score some more. I thought this game was a no brainer.

Nice Trojan
12-24-2004, 01:16 PM
UCLA and Marhsall ruined me. I ad 27 points on UCLA. The real deal is tonight. I have 28 riding on Hawaii agianst the B-Team.

littlebittyschool
01-02-2005, 09:43 AM
This has been a wacky, wacky, bowl season. Most folks are going to finish right around .500 on the bowl picks, give or take a game or 3. Right now, in our on little bowl pickem contest, J Bradley is clinging to a 21 point lead, but he only has 3 more possible points remaining. That means (get ready for this one folks) if Auburn or USC win their games, the champion of the bowl pickem contest will be: Sarahbelle! That's right folks, the football queen of the South, Troy's most famous Mobile area almumni, the czar of the message board, the lady that all UAB women want to be and all UAB men want to be with, the amazing, incredible, indominable, the pride of Cottonwood, Alabama: SARAHBELLE!

Mr. Bradely has root hard for Va Tech and OK to hang on to his lead. No one else will factor into this contest at this point. It's a two man, err person, race. The battle for 3rd place is very tight with Trojan War, F. Hayden, and TSUfaninCali all with a chance to make up ground and bring home the bronze. The next group consists of yours truly, TUEngineer, PK4Troy, and K. Findley.

ps Jared, I couldn't find your entry, if you'll tell me how many points you have and how many points you have left, I'll include you in the final rankings.

Nice Trojan
01-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Man - I dropped to 2nd. Congrats Sarahbelle, I bow before the Troy champion of the Bowl Pick 'Em contest, I believe you are the winner. No one has enough points riding on tonight to catch you. I only have one point remaining. There was no way I could pull for VT over AU last night. So all hail to Sarahbelle, our true champion.

jerryopp
01-04-2005, 05:21 PM
I started good, finished dead last. Maybe I will do better next year, but probably not. Congrats Sarahbelle

TrojanWar
01-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Congrats Sarahbelle! Did anyone notice that she only picked the games, but did not change the confidence points? They are still ranked as they were by default. I should have done the same considering how strong I finished. Oh well, Cal really let me down against Texas Tech.

Sarahbelle
01-04-2005, 09:42 PM
lmao! I just noticed I won.