PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Jones Quits Team

Navarre Trojan
07-24-2008, 07:36 AM
http://www.dothaneagle.com/dea/sports/college/troy/article/former_ha_star_gives_up_football_at_troy/28551/

Former HA star gives up football at Troy

By Drew Champlin

Published: July 23, 2008

Stanley Jones, the Class 2A Player of the Year at Houston Academy in 2006, has decided to give up football after a redshirt freshman season at Troy University, his father said.

Stan Jones said his son met with Troy head coach Larry Blakeney Wednesday to personally inform him of his decision.

“Troy has been great to him and given him every opportunity,” Stan Jones said. “He and I have a tremendous amount of respect for the coaches, but right now he doesn’t want to play football.”

The 6-foot, 180-pound Jones earned all-state honors during his last three years of high school and ran for 5,020 yards in his prep career, with 7,333 all-purpose yards.

He came to Troy as a running back, but quickly moved to wide receiver and worked there last year and this spring.

“I feel good about his time and I’m glad he went there,” Stan Jones said. “Both of us think very positive about Troy and their coaches. Football and him just weren’t matching any more.”

Also, redshirt freshman tackle Jamarr Thompson transferred to a junior college, Blakeney said earlier this week. Enterprise native R.J. Roberts is expected to redshirt this year to get his academics in order and build strength. The sophomore linebacker/defensive end blocked a punt in last year’s win over Middle Tennessee.

Troy opens fall practice July 30.