PDA

View Full Version : SBC Media Days

Trojan2003
07-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Sun Belt Conference Announces Preseason Coaches Poll and All-Sun Belt Team

[...]

2008 Preseason Sun Belt Poll

As voted on by the league’s eight head coaches.

First place votes in parentheses.

School - Points

1. Florida Atlantic (6) - 62
2. Troy (1) - 51
3. Louisiana-Monroe (1) - 46
4. Arkansas State - 39
5. Middle Tennessee - 32
6. Louisiana-Lafayette - 26
7. North Texas - 19
8. Florida International - 13

Preseason All-Sun Belt Team

As voted on by the league’s eight head coaches and selected media members.

Offense

QB: Rusty Smith (FAU, Jr.)
RB: Reggie Arnold (ASU, Jr.)
RB: Tyrell Fenroy (ULL, Sr.)
WR: Cortez Gent (FAU, Jr.)
WR: Casey Fitzgerald (NT, Sr.)
TE: David Johnson (ASU, Sr.)
TE: Zeek Zacharie (ULM, Sr.)
OL: Matt Mandich (ASU, Sr.)
OL: Nick Paris (FAU, Sr.
OL: Chris Fisher (ULL, Jr.)
OL: Kelvin Drake (NT, Jr.)
OL: Dion Small (Troy, Sr.)

Defense

DL: Alex Carrington (ASU, Jr.)
DL: Robert St. Clair (FAU, Sr.)
DL: Jervonte Jackson (FAU, Sr.)
DL: Kenny Mainor (Troy, Sr.)
LB: Ben Owens (ASU, Sr.)
LB: Frantz Joseph (FAU, Sr.)
LB: Boris Lee (Troy, Jr.)
DB: Tavious Polo (FAU, So.)
DB: Corey Small (FAU, Sr.)
DB: Greg James (ULM, Jr.)
DB: Alex Suber (MT, Sr.)
DB: Sherrod Martin (Troy, Sr.)
DB: Tavares Williams (Troy, Sr.)

Special Teams

P: Scott Love (ULM, Jr.)
PK: Drew Edmiston (ULL, Sr.)
RS: Desmond Gee (MT, Jr.)

Preseason Offensive Player of the Year
Rusty Smith (FAU, Jr., Quarterback)

Preseason Defensive Player of the Year
Frantz Joseph (FAU, Sr., Linebacker)

TU/JSU Fan
07-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Wow.. 2 DBs on the preseason all conference list after losing the 2 we had last year that is pretty dang impressive. You can tell that the coaches have lots of respect for Troy's defense. I find it odd, though, Kenny Mainor is on the list instead of Lang.. Mainor more than likely won't even be a starter at the DE! That is some serious respect there... Thanks for posting the info!

Trojan2003
07-21-2008, 12:05 PM
-> http://www.sunbeltsports.org//pdf5/133015.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4100

Aug. 28 - Troy at MTSU, ESPN+
Sep. 7 - Troy at LSU, Cox Sports Television
Sep. 20 - Troy at Ohio State, Big Ten Network
Oct. 7 - Troy at FAU, ESPN2
Oct. 18 - FIU at Troy, ESPN+
Dec. 6 - Arkansas State at Troy, ESPN+

Trojan2003
07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
2008 Sun Belt Football Media Guide
Written by: Sun Belt Conference

Release: 07/21/2008

-> http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4100&ATCLID=1512659

Burn the Horse
07-21-2008, 12:18 PM
i'm a little surprised Jerrel Jernigan isn't on the list at WR. I'll bet you plenty he will be next year!

socrgoly25
07-21-2008, 12:20 PM
i'm a little surprised Jerrel Jernigan isn't on the list at WR. I'll bet you plenty he will be next year!

I can understand why he's not there this year though. Gent and Fitzgerald have proven something thus far, while Jernigan is looking to break out this year. I'm more surprised that we didn't squeeze at least one more O-lineman in there. I mean, people have called it our strong point on the team. What gives?

Trojan2003
07-21-2008, 01:23 PM
BLOG: Sun Belt Conference Media Days – New Orleans

Courtesy: Taylor Bryan
Release: 07/21/2008

In a TroyTrojans.com first, Athletic Media Relations fourth-year student assistant Taylor Bryan will be blogging his and the rest of his travel party’s experiences on the road to the Big Easy and at the annual summertime event.

Making the trip to New Orleans for SBC Media Days is Troy Head Coach Larry Blakeney, junior All-Sun Belt Conference linebacker Boris Lee, "The Voice of the Trojans" Barry McKnight, Director of Athletic Media Relations Ricky Hazel and Bryan.

If you have any questions you would like to have answered pertaining to Sun Belt Conference Media Days, feel free to email Taylor at bryant@troy.edu.

BLOG: http://www.troytrojans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=17200&ATCLID=1515134

TROJANFAN26
07-21-2008, 04:02 PM
-> http://www.sunbeltsports.org//pdf5/133015.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=4100

Aug. 28 - Troy at MTSU, ESPN+
Sep. 7 - Troy at LSU, Cox Sports Television
Sep. 20 - Troy at Ohio State, Big Ten Network
Oct. 7 - Troy at FAU, ESPN2
Oct. 18 - FIU at Troy, ESPN+
Dec. 6 - Arkansas State at Troy, ESPN+

The LSU game on the 7th must be a replay....

Mrs. Ho
07-21-2008, 04:22 PM
The LSU game on the 7th must be a replay....

Nope, they play two day in a row..... here your sign

TROJANFAN26
07-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Nope, they play two day in a row..... here your sign

Quiet, Mrs. Ho!

Trojan2003
07-22-2008, 04:41 PM
-> http://www.sunbeltsports.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4100&ATCLID=1522683

TROY TROJANS LINEBACKER BORIS LEE

On his expectations for this season:

“I’m expecting good things this year. We expect to win the conference championship and make it to a bowl. I’ve seen progress since last season, so we’re expecting to do big things this year.”

On the team’s motivation:

“We’ve got even more motivation to play well because we felt like we got stripped of an opportunity to go to a bowl last season. We had that right in our hands and now we are using it as motivation. We know what we have to do.”

FAU OWLS QUARTERBACK RUSTY SMITH...

On his expectations for this season:

“We have set our goals high for this season. We accomplished a lot last year, but we want to take that next step. Winning the New Orleans Bowl was a great achievement, but we want to accomplish greater things this season. We expect to win the conference and are shooting for a BCS bowl. But to reach that goal, we know we have to go undefeated. With that in mind, we have to take it one game at a time and hopefully big things will happen this season.”

FliryVorru
07-22-2008, 04:46 PM
We expect to win the conference and are shooting for a BCS bowl. But to reach that goal, we know we have to go undefeated. With that in mind, we have to take it one game at a time and hopefully big things will happen this season.”

My opinion on Rusty just went up about 1,000. That's the kind of attitude that allowed Boise State and Utah to get to their BCS bowls and the kind of attitude you want from the leader of your team.

I kind of hoped Boris would say something like 'I'm gonna jump on every quarterback I see this year!"

TU Rob
07-22-2008, 05:08 PM
My opinion on Rusty just went up about 1,000. That's the kind of attitude that allowed Boise State and Utah to get to their BCS bowls and the kind of attitude you want from the leader of your team.

I kind of hoped Boris would say something like 'I'm gonna jump on every quarterback I see this year!"

Nah, I'd rather him just keep quiet about it. You win on the field, not with your mouth. He is a player, not an announcer. Just jump on them, get back up, line up, and get ready for the next play.

Troy87
07-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Nah, I'd rather him just keep quiet about it. You win on the field, not with your mouth. He is a player, not an announcer. Just jump on them, get back up, line up, and get ready for the next play.

A'la Demarcus Ware. THAT was someone who let his on-field performance do his talking.

FliryVorru
07-23-2008, 01:03 AM

I completely agree with you and I didn't expect him to. I just thought it'd be funny and out of the blue.

Discophobia
07-23-2008, 12:14 PM
What is ESPN+ ?

TU Rob
07-23-2008, 12:28 PM
What is ESPN+ ?

It is a "channel" that ESPN has that local stations can pick up the broadcast rights on. It is also called ESPN Regional. A lot of smaller conference and school games are broadcast on this "ESPN" channel, even though it probably airs on your local UPN station, if they decide to buy it from ESPN and broadcast it. So when you hear that Troy is going to be on an ESPN channel 4 times this year, remember that three of those won't be on the actual ESPN channel.

Look at the thread I started called ESPN Regional.

JonesOxygen
07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
They always have the BEST announcers!

socrgoly25
07-23-2008, 12:52 PM
They always have the BEST announcers!

I know! They always had the nicest things to say about "Haugabrook", "Cartoose", and Coach "Blakeley"......

Discophobia
07-23-2008, 12:56 PM
Ok, the bad announcers, yeah I know the station! Is Troy going to be offering their streaming one camera angle video Trojan Vision or whatever it is called. I watched a few games on it last year, the production was awful, however it was better than nothing.

TU Rob
07-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Ok, the bad announcers, yeah I know the station! Is Troy going to be offering their streaming one camera angle video Trojan Vision or whatever it is called. I watched a few games on it last year, the production was awful, however it was better than nothing.

Yeah, better than nothing is about all I can say about it. There was decent video for the FL game, when it worked. And the broadcast of FIU worked the entire time, but it looked like someone set up a webcam on an old laptop and aimed it at the field. In this day and age, there is no excuse for streaming crappy video and having the feed go in and out. Especially if you are charging for it. But if that is the only way I can watch some of the games, I'll take it.

FloriTrojan
07-23-2008, 11:11 PM
Don't forget the astounding work of the producers and camera operators who could not even properly identify Blakeney during the OSU game! For the entire game!

Who was that coach they kept showing on our sidelines?

JonesOxygen
07-24-2008, 08:50 AM
I think they kept showing Chuck Ash.