PDA

View Full Version : DeMarcus Ware's getting bigger

Trojan2003
06-21-2008, 07:17 PM
dallasnews.com

Dallas Cowboys' Ware adds power to pass-rush package

-> http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/062008dnspoarcher.1c1f4db2.html

12:21 AM CDT on Saturday, June 21, 2008

IRVING – DeMarcus Ware came to the Dallas Cowboys three years ago as a 245-pound defensive end making the transition to outside linebacker. Entering his fourth season, he now weighs 263 pounds and is coming off two consecutive Pro Bowl appearances.

"I just look sexy like this," Ware joked.

Ware, who turns 26 in July, said he plans to play the season at 257 pounds and bulk up to a max of 265 pounds as he gets older.

Ware said he was initially worried about the weight gain for fear of losing his speed and quickness off the edge in rushing the quarterback, but his worries have been relieved since putting up 25˝ sacks the last two seasons.

"I feel stronger and faster, especially when it comes to power and doing a lot of power stuff," Ware said. "It's helping out a lot. You know when you can push a tackle around and sometimes they hold you and you can throw them out of the way to get to the quarterback. When in their mind they know you can power them, it's when they'll open up for more stuff you can do."

Ware's increased size is not mere bulk. Because of his job description, he cannot become too stiff, especially with his upper body. Despite powerful hands, Ware's best asset is his ability to get off the ball. Sometimes it appears he gets too early of a jump, but most of the time the coaches said Ware's anticipation was perfect timing and not an off-side penalty.

If Ware ever got too big, he would not be able to twist and turn and dip coming off the edge to keep larger offensive tackles from connecting on punches in pass sets.

"I've had to stretch a little more," Ware said. "You've got to do more squat work. You've got to get your body stronger so you can carry that weight."

In addition to adding muscle, Ware has spent the off-season improving his craft. He and former linebackers coach Paul Pasqualoni would practice hand placement constantly in breaks in practice. Now Ware and Greg Ellis do it. Ware has become more of a student of the game and has found Flozell Adams to be one of his best teachers.

"Going against probably one of the best tackles in the league and him telling me exactly what I'm doing wrong," Ware said. "If I'm on the sideline looking at him, I'll tell him what he did wrong. Just having a guy like that is a good thing."

Ware should benefit from being in Wade Phillips' defense for a second year. The familiarity goes the other way with defensive coordinator Brian Stewart, who knows Ware's game better and can add more to the scheme.

"I know what to expect in certain situations, certain plays," Ware said. "Now I know exactly what the offenses are going to do and they know that I can counter that."

Trojan2003
06-21-2008, 07:20 PM
DallasCowboys.com

Be-Ware The Ever-Growing Linebacker

-> http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=9DF876CB-0B34-F0FE-DA1DE0E8B8F4EF14

Rob Phillips - Email
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
June 18, 2008 6:08 PM

http://www.dallascowboys.com/images/Ware-close_MC_330.jpg

Ware became the first Cowboys player with back-to-back double-digit sacks since Charles Haley.

IRVING, Texas - Cowboys outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware clearly doesn't want to be known as a finesse rusher.

Ware weighed a modest 245 pounds when he arrived as the Cowboys' initial first-round pick in 2005. Three years later, the All-Pro linebacker has bulked up to 260-265 in what he calls a "gradual process" to get stronger while still maintaining the quickness that has helped him produce 25˝ sacks in the last two years.

"When I gained the first 10 pounds, it was like that; I was a little stiff," Ware said of trying to preserve his agility despite the extra weight. "But you're finding out you've got to stretch a little bit more, you've got to do more squat work, you've got to do more things to make your body stronger so you can carry that weight the same way."

Ware said he's essentially gained five pounds each off-season under the program directed by team strength and conditioning coach Joe Juraszek. But it's five pounds of solid muscle, not bulk.

By combining extra strength with his natural pass-rushing ability, Ware now can better engage offensive tackles or use his speed to get around them.

"In their mind," Ware said, "when they know that you can power them is when they open a lot more."

- - - - - - - - -

Cowboys' Ware Looking For 15 Sacks
19th June, 2008 - 6:04 pm

-> http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wiretap_archives/8401/20080619/cowboys_ware_looking_for_15_sacks/

The Star Tribune

[...]

Ware bigger and faster

Pro Bowl outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware has been adding five pounds a season since he entered the league and is up to 263 pounds. But he isn’t losing his quickness or burst off the edge.

"I feel like I am progressing a little bit faster than I did the last off-season. A lot of guys are," Ware said. "We’re more confident, and we know exactly what to do now."

Ware said he wants at least 15 sacks this season or one more than New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora, a former teammate at Troy.

[...]

Trojan2003
06-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Fitness Zone For Youth

DallasCowboys.com Report
June 18, 2008 2:58 PM

ARLINGTON, Texas - The Dallas Cowboys teamed up with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Arlington to create a "Fitness Zone" for the youth at the North Elm Street club. Cowboys Linebackers DeMarcus Ware and Bradie James helped unveil the "Fitness Zone" which is a refurbishment of their existing gymnasium underwritten by Gene and Jerry Jones Family Charities and Gene and Jerry Jones Family Arlington Youth Foundation. The refurbishment and new "Fitness Zone" included: paint, wall mats, bleachers, refinished gym floor, score board, chin-up bars, wall ladder, high step trainer, Volleyball game stands, in-line hockey goal, pro down box, fitness DVDs and other general fitness equipment.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/images/comm3_061608_300.jpg

[...]

-> http://www.dallascowboys.com/community_news.cfm?id=9D95CD2F-EEA7-2EA5-24A583D398111E6C

WeSuck.com
06-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Typical Larry Blakeney thug. This guy is an embarrrasment to the program. Too bad he didn't sign with UA's B team - where he would have fit in better with those criminals.

BlazerUnit
06-22-2008, 02:51 AM
Typical Larry Blakeney thug. This guy is an embarrrasment to the program. Too bad he didn't sign with UA's B team - where he would have fit in better with those criminals.

So unnecessary. So small. So Troy.

Trojan2003
06-22-2008, 05:45 AM
So unnecessary. So small. So Troy.

... but so true!

FliryVorru
06-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Really guys?

Are we really joking on UAB? Are we really THAT bored?