PDA

View Full Version : 10-1

TrojanAlum75
06-05-2008, 02:30 AM
This will be our record at the end of the year this is the best Trojan team ever but nobody knows it yet. We have more talent than anybody knows and this year we go from that team who beat Oklahoma State to that team who almost beat LSU for a chance to become the first non-BCS national title contender. What will be funny is that we will end up in the worst bowl after being considered for a shot to play for the national championship. I only have us losing to LSU because the game is at their stadium. we almost won there last time and if we played them at home we would run them off the field. this is the year the country learns where troy, AL is on the map.

FloriTrojan
06-05-2008, 06:27 AM
I truly hope you have the facts to back up your assessment. That would be fantastic.

Go TROY!

Navarre Trojan
06-05-2008, 07:16 AM
This will be our record at the end of the year this is the best Trojan team ever but nobody knows it yet. We have more talent than anybody knows and this year we go from that team who beat Oklahoma State to that team who almost beat LSU for a chance to become the first non-BCS national title contender. What will be funny is that we will end up in the worst bowl after being considered for a shot to play for the national championship. I only have us losing to LSU because the game is at their stadium. we almost won there last time and if we played them at home we would run them off the field. this is the year the country learns where troy, AL is on the map.

your in a win/win situation with those comments, which I find a bit cowardly!

We win, everyone pats you on the back, asks how you knew the outcome, and then will want to drink some of the koolaid that put you in your "psyic state of mind". We lose, people will say something like, "what an idiot, I don't know what kind of koolaid was he drinking to think that way, but I sure would like to have some!"!!!!

Man, do I LOVE the way you think (and deep in the very back of my brain, I can see it too!)

Trojan1998
06-05-2008, 07:38 AM

I need to bring back my Kool-Aid Man avatar after reading this post.

JonesOxygen
06-05-2008, 08:06 AM
What about game #12? Is that your +1/-1 margin?

Burn the Horse
06-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Hey, I'm a die hard Trojan, I'm sure no one here doubts that. However, I just don't see us going 10-1 my friend. I believe in our guys, but that record seems a little lofty right now. Let's not set ourselves up for a major dissapointment.

That being said, I DO see us going undefeated in conference. It'll be a tough road, but I think our guys can do it. I can't wait to see the looks on all the Owl fans' faces when we do to them what they did to us last year.

OwlFamily
06-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Hey, I'm a die hard Trojan, I'm sure no one here doubts that. However, I just don't see us going 10-1 my friend. I believe in our guys, but that record seems a little lofty right now. Let's not set ourselves up for a major dissapointment.

That being said, I DO see us going undefeated in conference. It'll be a tough road, but I think our guys can do it. I can't wait to see the looks on all the Owl fans' faces when we do to them what they did to us last year.

It will suck if it happens.

We have ALL the pressure right now, Every reporter and magazine picking us as favorites for the Confrence. Well see how the boys react. First time FAU has ever been in this position.

I was seeing our BEST case scenario as undefeated in confrence and loosing the Texas and Michigan State games. Im worried about Troy and oddly enough North Texas. I just cant shake off in the back of my head that explosive offense coupled with an improved Defense.

Our job just got a lil tougher, as we just lost our starting TE Jason Harmon to knee surgery for the year. He will medical redshirt and be back last year. Harmon's the guy who made all those great leaps over defenders. There is a picture of one on the sun-sentinl FAU blog right now if you want to see.

socrgoly25
06-05-2008, 10:28 AM

To hell with that. I love the guy's optimism. You should NEVER predict your going to lose a game. I feel like we've talked about this topic every year. If the team feels they are going to go into Baton Rouge and lose, then they are probably going to lose. I hope on everything that they feel like they are world beaters and want to prove everyone wrong. One shouldn't forget that with Larry Blakeney ANYTHING is possible!

Burn the Horse
06-05-2008, 02:50 PM
To hell with that. I love the guy's optimism. You should NEVER predict your going to lose a game. I feel like we've talked about this topic every year. If the team feels they are going to go into Baton Rouge and lose, then they are probably going to lose. I hope on everything that they feel like they are world beaters and want to prove everyone wrong. One shouldn't forget that with Larry Blakeney ANYTHING is possible!

Preston, I never said we were going to lose a specific game. I simply said I didn't see us winning ALL of our OOC games. Don't be so quick to jump down someone's throat if they have a differing opinion. I'm entitled to my opinion, and you should NEVER say otherwise. I'm as devoted a fan as any of you, so just mellow and let's have some good banter.

TrojanWarrior418
06-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Some of you guys on here need to chill out.

TrojanAlum75 is entitled to his opinion and I'm glad that we have people on here that are THAT optimistic. Can Troy go 10-1 or even undefeated? Yes, if we learned anything from last years college football season it was that anybody can beat anybody on any given day.

Is it likely....don't know, probobally not, but still we need to have some faith in our guys. I hope we can pull off at least one upset this season.

Burn the Horse
06-05-2008, 03:04 PM
*deleted*

Better to just drop everything before an argument starts.

tr_oj_ans
06-05-2008, 08:48 PM
The encouraging thing about the state of Troy football now as opposed to previous years is that we can all honestly believe that every game on our schedule is "winnable". I don't think we'll win them all, but I know that we are capable of beating every team on our schedule on any given day.

socrgoly25
06-05-2008, 10:36 PM
Preston, I never said we were going to lose a specific game. I simply said I didn't see us winning ALL of our OOC games. Don't be so quick to jump down someone's throat if they have a differing opinion. I'm entitled to my opinion, and you should NEVER say otherwise. I'm as devoted a fan as any of you, so just mellow and let's have some good banter.

What I said wasn't meant to be a personal attack or anything. I just was saying that it is okay to think "unrealistically" when dealing with getting ready for the season, that's all. I would say that it was unrealistic to think Leodis could take every punt return for a TD, but I made sure to tell Leodis and anyone who listened that he was going to. Just a different perspective.

I'll worry about predicting realistically to teams I don't root for (i.e. FAU, who will not be the world beater everyone seems to think they are this year).

TroyFootball05
06-05-2008, 10:47 PM
What I said wasn't meant to be a personal attack or anything. I just was saying that it is okay to think "unrealistically" when dealing with getting ready for the season, that's all. I would say that it was unrealistic to think Leodis could take every punt return for a TD, but I made sure to tell Leodis and anyone who listened that he was going to. Just a different perspective.

I'll worry about predicting realistically to teams I don't root for (i.e. FAU, who will not be the world beater everyone seems to think they are this year).

No they won't be world beaters. Lots are predicting FAU to be Top 25. That won't happen. While it's terrible that someone as good as Harmon has to sit out a season, it speaks VOLUMES of what I talked about last week. FAU has a VERY dangerous team up front. But they have little depth. They've recruited four 3-Star Players in the last 4 years. FAU finished DEAD LAST in the conference on ESPN's recruiting page. Troy has had 13 3-Star Players and four 4-Star Players. If one of our wideouts can't play, someone else can step in fill that spot with little to know trouble. If FAU has an INJURY, it could be very problematic. I think Troy will win the FAU game when it's played. We simply have more depth.

Burn the Horse
06-06-2008, 07:59 AM
what I don't get is why everyone is picking FAU to be so good. I agree they had a pretty good team last year, but heck, they weren't blowing anyone out of the water. I think they are getting more respect than they deserve.

FoulPolePhenom
06-06-2008, 08:02 AM
what I don't get is why everyone is picking FAU to be so good. I agree they had a pretty good team last year, but heck, they weren't blowing anyone out of the water. I think they are getting more respect than they deserve.

Because they are returning a lot of guys from a good team. Just like us in 2006, we didn't blow a lot of people out of the water, but we won our games and then you saw what happened last year. People could say the same thing about FAU this year.

FloriTrojan
06-06-2008, 09:00 AM
FAU has a very young team. They have/are maturing.

Don't count out Schnellenberger, who has a knack for picking diamonds in the rough and producing great players. The Owls QB, Rusty Smith, was message board fodder as a freshman and a hero last year.

Burn the Horse
06-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Yes, we were predicted to win the conference again in 2007 following our successful 2006 season, but no one ever mentioned us for the top-25.

TrojanFan2
06-06-2008, 11:20 AM
No they won't be world beaters. Lots are predicting FAU to be Top 25. That won't happen. While it's terrible that someone as good as Harmon has to sit out a season, it speaks VOLUMES of what I talked about last week. FAU has a VERY dangerous team up front. But they have little depth. They've recruited four 3-Star Players in the last 4 years. FAU finished DEAD LAST in the conference on ESPN's recruiting page. Troy has had 13 3-Star Players and four 4-Star Players. If one of our wideouts can't play, someone else can step in fill that spot with little to know trouble. If FAU has an INJURY, it could be very problematic. I think Troy will win the FAU game when it's played. We simply have more depth.

That's the same situation we had last year and they beat us. FAU can beat us y if we don't come to play.

TU/JSU Fan
06-06-2008, 12:31 PM
FAU returns a good QB.. No FAU returns a great QB. They also return a lot of other players off of a championship team. I would probably pick them to win the SBC too. Top 25.. Hardly, but SBC Champ.. Preseason.. Sure.. Why not.. We are young. We are unexperienced in key positions (QB, RB, CB, etc...)

OwlFamily
06-06-2008, 01:01 PM
FAU returns a good QB.. No FAU returns a great QB. They also return a lot of other players off of a championship team. I would probably pick them to win the SBC too. Top 25.. Hardly, but SBC Champ.. Preseason.. Sure.. Why not.. We are young. We are unexperienced in key positions (QB, RB, CB, etc...)

Top 25 is WAY too big a stretch, I will be happy if we are in the Top 40, and as someone said on our board IF we could get even 1 Top 25 vote, it would be a TREMENDOUS accomplishment.

Ive been surfing the OOC boards for Texas/Minn/Mich St. ALL of them are more then a lil concerned about FAU. Ive got a thread on owlsnest with the pertinet quotes.

If we could knock off Texas or Michigan State and then run the table Confrence wise (no easy task either) we could be looking at that accompishment and perhaps a better paying bowl then the NO. Which would then open up the NO Bowl to another Sunbelt team and gain more respect and cash for the Belt.

It's never been a more exciting or nerve wracking time to be a FAU Football fan. I just hope all this "favorite" talk doesnt goes to the players heads. They have never been in this postion before so this is another new territory for our program. Im sure if any coach could keep on track its HS. Im really nervous and incredibly excited all at the same time.

FloriTrojan
06-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Troy was close to the top 25 last year and a win over Georgia would (O.K. should) have placed the Trojans solidly in that list.

I would not be surprised to see Troy and/or FAU ranked this season.

Burn the Horse
06-06-2008, 02:09 PM
for Troy, it'll all come down to whether or not Jamie can fill Omar's shoes. I think he can, but since he is so young, I'm not going to put money on it.

TroyFootball05
06-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Am I the only one who thinks we're getting snubbed by the media? Granted we're getting picked 2nd in almost all of the previews, it seems like they all have FAU HEADS AND TAILS above us. Like there's no chance at all. The only real question marks we have are at QB, CB, and Special Teams, and we have plenty of talent to work with...

FoulPolePhenom
06-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Jaimie is a sophomore, he does have plenty of D-I game experience...Omar was a junior when he came in, and had no D-I experience when he came to Troy. I'm pretty sure the whole youth excuse can't work.

FloriTrojan
06-06-2008, 02:21 PM
With the media that cover SunBelt sports, it's more about the newspapers' lack of competence than intended snubs.

The newspapers that cover many 'Belt schools are small and not very significant. They do not have decent budgets for reporters, research, travel to away games and the like. In most cases, one guy or gal makes the call for that paper on how good a team will be. They, in most cases, do not know enough about the competing teams to accurately critique them. And in other cases, the reporters are young and inexperienced, and perhaps just not very good or accurate.

Then, thanks to the Internet and newspaper coverage sharing agreements (Palm Beach Post has used Dothan Eagle copy and photos), most of the out-of-town papers' readers get the same take on each other team as the hometown newspaper readers.

It becomes a big cluster ... report.

In the larger media markets (Palm Beach and Broward Counties, Dallas, Nashville, etc.), the reporters are pretty good but they also cover pro hockey, pro football and more, and the major papers tend to treat the 'Belt schools as second class football citizens. That is changing slowly, at least in South Florida where FAU and (to some extent) FIU are growing in fan bases.

In the national media (especially electronic), the 'Belt is snubbed by media that does not do even the basic homework and bases its coverage on blurbs found on the wire or in metro dailies.

OwlFamily
06-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Am I the only one who thinks we're getting snubbed by the media? Granted we're getting picked 2nd in almost all of the previews, it seems like they all have FAU HEADS AND TAILS above us. Like there's no chance at all. The only real question marks we have are at QB, CB, and Special Teams, and we have plenty of talent to work with...

From what I can tell, the loss of your OC, Omar, and Leodis have sort of cemented you guys in that 2nd place roll. I would think that if your OC hadnt left it would of been closer, but the combination of loosing him and Omar has the "experts" in Doubt.

FAU really didnt loose ANY key person, and with so many starters having that experience level of a Bowl run, its easy to see why were the favorites. Im still not convinced we are all that and a bag of chips. You guys easily dominated all SB games last year excpet for ours and that one cost the bowl trip. It could EASILY happen to us this year.

I just have to pray and hope that the FOCUS is there for an entire season for FAU.

TroyFootball05
06-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Jaimie is a sophomore, he does have plenty of D-I game experience...Omar was a junior when he came in, and had no D-I experience when he came to Troy. I'm pretty sure the whole youth excuse can't work.

I read a magazine, either Athlon or Lindy's, that ranks our QB Unit at 8th in the conference. With what the poster above said, that might be because they really have almost no knowledge at all of our QBs? We really haven't seen Corey Robinson play yet, although I'm eagar to see what he's made of.

TroyFootball05
06-06-2008, 03:48 PM
From what I can tell, the loss of your OC, Omar, and Leodis have sort of cemented you guys in that 2nd place roll. I would think that if your OC hadnt left it would of been closer, but the combination of loosing him and Omar has the "experts" in Doubt.

FAU really didnt loose ANY key person, and with so many starters having that experience level of a Bowl run, its easy to see why were the favorites. Im still not convinced we are all that and a bag of chips. You guys easily dominated all SB games last year excpet for ours and that one cost the bowl trip. It could EASILY happen to us this year.

I just have to pray and hope that the FOCUS is there for an entire season for FAU.

The 2nd place role isn't what I'm really concerned about. FAU clearly should be in first place. Phil Steele is the man. The most respected name in football. No doubt. But FAU at #37 at the end of the season? I'm not so sure about that, but then again, FAU's OOC Schedule makes it REALLY easy to go 10-2. FAU's SOS is 119 of 120.

What I was saying about unit rankings and all sunbelt teams is that it seems the media hasn't done any research on sunbelt recruiting from the past class. We ave a ton of monster talent coming in, and they're not mentioned anywhere. These guys can easily take the place of those departed with the exception of PR and maybe CB. The QB position will be fine without help from recruiting.

I guess it's hard to place recruits yet anyway since no one's really seen them play D1 Ball yet. I guess the most disapointing part is how they rank our WR's. We clearly have one the best WR units in the belt. Maybe I'm just being picky, who knows...

FloriTrojan
06-09-2008, 07:59 PM
The magazines do not have staffs that go out and research SunBelt or other similar conference sports. They just cherry pick info (correct or not) from newspaper Web sites and team sites. It's guesswork garbage.

How can FAU have such a low SOS when it plays Texas and Michigan State?

TroyFootball05
06-09-2008, 08:52 PM
The magazines do not have staffs that go out and research SunBelt or other similar conference sports. They just cherry pick info (correct or not) from newspaper Web sites and team sites. It's guesswork garbage.

How can FAU have such a low SOS when it plays Texas and Michigan State?

It's based on pure mathematics according to Phil Steele. Bascially, it's calculated by the number of wins the teams on their schedule had last season. For instance, if troy played 5 teams that were 1-11 in 2007, our SOS would be weak.

Charlie NT73
06-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Any media coverage for SBC teams (other than North Texas) does not exist
in the Dallas/Fort Worth market (except for North Texas as a SBC school),and
none in Houston or San Antonio markets. All the media coverage is for the Big
12 schools. The Big 12 is alot like the SEC, when viewing SBC schools, as just
fodder, warm up games, and automatic wins. As SBC teams start winning
more of these games, the media will come around. IMHO, the SBC teams will continue to improve, and will earn more respect from the media.
Now, for the 2008 season, do not count out North Texas. Yes- the team is still young. Now there are 9 offensive starters returning with 4 OL guys back,
SBC Freshman of the Year, QB Giovanni Vizza, and wealth of WR talent. NT went from 117th in offense to #47 last year. Now this offense has a year of
DodgeBall experience, and all the players are on the same page.
The North Texas defense last year was terrible. Coach Dodge was able to bring back DC Gary DeLoach to North Texas for his second tour of duty. Deloach is a proven defensive coordinator and coach, with years of experience. DeLoach has installed his defense, moved players into key positions, and has a ton of new talent available. Deloach will put the Mean back into the Green. Does all of this mean a championship? No, not this year.
For the SBC teams, do not take North Texas lightly. The 2008 North Texas team is much better than you know.

troy145
06-21-2008, 11:15 AM
NT is definitely headed back in the right direction, but this year especially, Troy has the edge as far as experieince/talent/coaching goes.

I think Troy could realistically finish 10-2 with losses to LSU and Ohio State and a bowl victory. Idk why we should settle for less. Theres no reason and SBC team should beat us this year if we're healthy, and we've already beaten OSU.

It really all depends, I think, on quarterback play. I feel very confident in the rest of the teams ability to match or surpass last year's strengths.

Trojan1998
06-21-2008, 11:31 AM
NT is definitely headed back in the right direction, but this year especially, Troy has the edge as far as experieince/talent/coaching goes.

I think Troy could realistically finish 10-2 with losses to LSU and Ohio State and a bowl victory. Idk why we should settle for less. Theres no reason and SBC team should beat us this year if we're healthy, and we've already beaten OSU.

It really all depends, I think, on quarterback play. I feel very confident in the rest of the teams ability to match or surpass last year's strengths.

Seriously, some of ya'll need to put down the Kool-Aid. With the leaders and key personnel we've lost from last season, we just need to worry about putting together a respectable season and then looking toward 2009 as the next opportunity for a breakout season. I'd love to go 13-0 this season and every season, but we all need to be realistic. We have an unproven QB, an unproven kicker and punter (whoever that might be), unproven guys in the defensive backfield, and an unproven offensive coordinator. Top that off with the fact that FAU comes back loaded, ULM should be much improved, and other teams in the conference are getting noticeably better.

I live and breathe TROY sports (I graduated from TROY and I currently work for the University), but I try my best to be objective and reasonable when attempting to forecast our season. Let's first try to get by MTSU on August 28th. If we lose that game, then we're looking dead ahead at a 5-7 type of season. Larry and crew are working hard this offseason to prove that we're still a formidable program in the Sun Belt, but in order to do so, we've got to have leadership and team chemistry. All the talent in the world does not produce victories unless a team plays with confidence and has other intangibles that are critical to success on the field.

We all need to think positively, but we need to think with our brains instead of our emotions.

socrgoly25
06-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Seriously, some of ya'll need to put down the Kool-Aid. With the leaders and key personnel we've lost from last season, we just need to worry about putting together a respectable season and then looking toward 2009 as the next opportunity for a breakout season. I'd love to go 13-0 this season and every season, but we all need to be realistic. We have an unproven QB, an unproven kicker and punter (whoever that might be), unproven guys in the defensive backfield, and an unproven offensive coordinator. Top that off with the fact that FAU comes back loaded, ULM should be much improved, and other teams in the conference are getting noticeably better.

I live and breathe TROY sports (I graduated from TROY and I currently work for the University), but I try my best to be objective and reasonable when attempting to forecast our season. Let's first try to get by MTSU on August 28th. If we lose that game, then we're looking dead ahead at a 5-7 type of season. Larry and crew are working hard this offseason to prove that we're still a formidable program in the Sun Belt, but in order to do so, we've got to have leadership and team chemistry. All the talent in the world does not produce victories unless a team plays with confidence and has other intangibles that are critical to success on the field.

We all need to think positively, but we need to think with our brains instead of our emotions.

No offense, because you have every right to be objective in this case, but I believe years of 5-7 left when we abandoned the run on first, run on second, chunk it down field on third, and punt offense. We will be good this year. The only question is HOW good. Odds are that we will finish between 10-2 and 7-5, with a more than better chance of getting snubbed from another bowl if we don't take the conference bid.

Burn the Horse
06-21-2008, 12:39 PM

I agree with this statement.

Hemi Man
06-21-2008, 01:16 PM
I'm saying somewhere around 8-4 to 10-2. As bad as losing Omar is, he was not flawless last year. I honestly believe in the offensive scheme. That being said there are plenty of playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. On defense I would say it's will be as good. Maybe even better with more pressure on the quarteback. (More pressure on the QB means less time to hold your coverage in the secondary) Things could fall apart and injuries arise and we could be sitting at 2-10. I like are chances better as a total team effort, rather than relying on Omar to much. (no disrepect to Omar)

Look at it like this: How does FAU live up to their lofty ranking if Rusty goes out in game 1 for the season?

troy145
06-21-2008, 02:56 PM

Trust me, as a Cleveland Browns fan, Im okay with not expecting much. I just honestly beleive that we will be better than ULM at the very least.

Our QBs are unproven, but we have the best o-line in the conference, a very impressive stable of running backs and adequate receiving core to give the new QB (I dont think Hampton will stick :/) time to settle into the position and run the offense efficiently under the direction of the new OC. Talk is that this OC is Franklin's baby, and plus Troy has had a string good luck with coordinators in recent history, and I think thats one of Coach Blakeney's strengths.

So offensively, I think we'll easily be among the best in the conference, even if theres a decline from last years' production. I mean, our offense last year was lightyears ahead of most of the SBC (and country), so we can afford ourselves some rebuilding without having to lower our expectations a great deal as far as the W/L column goes.

Defensively, your right, there are a lot of question marks, but again, I think a young defensive backfield is gonna get a lot of help from a sturdy linebacking unit experienced d-line oriented and putting pressure on the opposing QBs.

I do not think that we will be as good as last year's squad (not yet), but I think that this schedule is favorable and we're not taking such a hit that we need to be content with 5-7 or even 6-6.

And yes, next year will be insane in the membrane for Troy football. Im glad I can be a student for it :)

TroyFootball05
06-21-2008, 03:04 PM
I agree with this statement.

Ok, well here's my brians on the subject: I, like Preston, believe the team will fall anywhere between 7-5 and 10-2. A 5-7 season just isn't in the cards. Believe it or not, this year's Troy team is rated #4 Nationally in team experience because of our seniors. If you look at our defense, we have 7 seniors and 4 juniors on the starting lineup. That's no underclassmen. We have 5 seniors, 2 juniors, and 4 sophomores on the offense. 18 of our starting 22 are upperclassmen. Not even FAU (#6) is ranked as high in team experience, though they bring back more starters.
Teams with as much experience as ours don't go 5-7.

Next, I believe our Top 25 Offensive Line (Phil Steele) will be the X-Factor on our team. You could argue our X-Factor is our O-Line D-Line Combo as we have the best lines the belt (Phil Steele). With DuJuan Harris and Jamie Hampton bulking up in the offseason, they'll be that much better, and a veteran O-Line will open up holes. Early on, our running backs might get more play time for Hampton to develop which is fine, because Harris can burn and Greer can punch through. Hampton and Harris will make mistakes, that's a no brainer, but you can't say having a line like ours isn't a huge boost.

Our WR's were making plays all over Florida and Georgia. Most notibly Jerrel Jernigan and Austin Silvoy. I honestly don't think RB is a question mark at all with DuJuan Harris and Maurice Greer, whoever wins the job. So, the only real question on offense is will Hampton make the adjustments along the way to yield a 10-2 season, or well he work hard and have a "first year" and end up 7-5? Bottom line, Jamie has a Top 25 Line, good running backs, and GREAT receivers. These will all ease the transition from Omar to Jamie.

The defense is loaded. There are question marks at one LB spot and two CB spots. Everywhere else is OOZING with proven talent. Will Bear Woods be a great linebacker? Will we find at least decent replacements for Leodis McKelvin and Elbert Mack? The Defensive Line is anchored by Three Seniors and Brandon Lang who plays like a senior.

The Schedule is tough, but Larry is no fool. He gets our guy up for away games. We're 8-0 in Sunbelt play on the road.
We have away games against the finest teams in the league in FAU, ULM, MTSU, and North Texas. I count UNT in that group because they will be much improved and will really want to take us out. There's always a positive. You don't know how much of a blessing it is to play LSU and Ohio State with our O-Line. This will help Jamie tremendously in getting the skills he needs. The Alcorn State game is wedged between LSU and Ohio State. What a great time for Troy to play a week team. This will allow Troy to grind out any kinks they have with new ideas after reviewing LSU Tape. Ohio State does have the number #1 defense in the country, so naturally, you'd get better playing the best.

Sure, we lost a lot of key players, but a lot OTHER key players return in three senior safeties, a vertern o-line, great recievers who played a lot last year, BORIS LEE, part of the senior laden d-line in Mainor and Lang, and a GREAT coaching staff. It's not over. It's not 5-7. Troy will go between 7-5 and 10-2.

Burn the Horse
06-21-2008, 03:12 PM
I'm of the opinion we will sweep the conference and win one of our BCS OOC games. I won't go on a long rant on why because many of my reasons for believing this have been covered by other posters.

troy145
06-21-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm of the opinion we will sweep the conference and win one of our BCS OOC games. I won't go on a long rant on why because many of my reasons for believing this have been covered by other posters.

I agree with this, so long as Hampton plays to his potential.

TroyFootball05
06-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Either way, we'll all have a more realistic picture of our season after the MTSU game. If you can only go to one game this year, pick MTSU. It's the most important by a longshot.

troy145
06-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Either way, we'll all have a more realistic picture of our season after the MTSU game. If you can only go to one game this year, pick MTSU. It's the most important by a longshot.

Im definitely going to MTSU and LSU. I cant wait for the LSU game... I was at Doak Campbell for the FSU game, was at the UF game last year... Im ready to take one of hte big boys down.

And yes MTSU will be an excellent litmus test for the team.

TroyFootball05
06-21-2008, 03:26 PM
I agree with this, so long as Hampton plays to his potential.

I believe Hampton will be the starter. But of course, there is a chance he may not be as Larry has said it's not over and they will do further analysis in the fall. He's got a lot going for. He's 6'3 215 pounds, he has no physical drawbacks at all, which is always a plus. He has a one-up on Omar in height. Like I said before, I honestly believe playing the best early on is a huge part of Troy's success and it will help Jamie or whoever's at QB a large amount.

Omar was a great QB, but we should all debunk the myth that he was the greatest that ever lived. Too many interceptions and sometimes boneheaded mistakes. Does anyone remember the UGA game? I remember it being 1st Down very close to the goal line and Omar tries to run it in but the defense on the other side was just to fast. The he does it again and again on 3rd down. I think on 4th down he tried to run it again or Hampton came in and tossed a TD. I can't remember. But I do remember him doing the same thing three times and it not working. Maybe no one could get open, i don't know, but at the time it seemed like he was trying to be a hero.

Bottom line is Hampton has a lot of work to do, but he wasn't backing up a godking.

TroyFootball05
06-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Im definitely going to MTSU and LSU. I cant wait for the LSU game... I was at Doak Campbell for the FSU game, was at the UF game last year... Im ready to take one of hte big boys down.

And yes MTSU will be an excellent litmus test for the team.

I was at the FSU game too. My most valued football experience I've ever had. The reason? I HATED football before going to that game. I was in the band and I watched troy play #9 FSU down to the wire and I was hooked! Then we saw a 4th quarter tie up with GT.

troy145
06-21-2008, 03:39 PM
I believe Hampton will be the starter. But of course, there is a chance he may not be as Larry has said it's not over and they will do further analysis in the fall. He's got a lot going for. He's 6'3 215 pounds, he has no physical drawbacks at all, which is always a plus. He has a one-up on Omar in height. Like I said before, I honestly believe playing the best early on is a huge part of Troy's success and it will help Jamie or whoever's at QB a large amount.

Omar was a great QB, but we should all debunk the myth that he was the greatest that ever lived. Too many interceptions and sometimes boneheaded mistakes. Does anyone remember the UGA game? I remember it being 1st Down very close to the goal line and Omar tries to run it in but the defense on the other side was just to fast. The he does it again and again on 3rd down. I think on 4th down he tried to run it again or Hampton came in and tossed a TD. I can't remember. But I do remember him doing the same thing three times and it not working. Maybe no one could get open, i don't know, but at the time it seemed like he was trying to be a hero.

Bottom line is Hampton has a lot of work to do, but he wasn't backing up a godking.

Personally from what I saw at the spring game I like Hampton the least, but thats just one game and I trust the coaches. I like Levi Brown A LOT, but... whatever.

Im all for whoever we put behind the center, but I do hope we pick the right guy from the start. One thing that may very well cripple the team is a QB controversy mid-season. I dont see that happening though.

TroyFootball05
06-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Personally from what I saw at the spring game I like Hampton the least, but thats just one game and I trust the coaches. I like Levi Brown A LOT, but... whatever.

Im all for whoever we put behind the center, but I do hope we pick the right guy from the start. One thing that may very well cripple the team is a QB controversy mid-season. I dont see that happening though.

I agree, it didn't do Oklahoma State any good. Their new QB sucked the whole game. Which is one reason to not count Ok St. as a sure win. They were 2-8 on the road with a QB switch on ESPN at MGVS. All of that was in favor of Troy. None of that exists in this years game with an improved Ok St squad.

TroyFootball05
06-21-2008, 03:50 PM
By the way, reguarding MTSU:

dnj article, excerpt:

...MTSU has set its kickoff times for its five home games this season. The Blue Raiders will kick off their season opener at home against Troy on Thursday, Aug. 28 at 6:30 p.m. on ESPN regional (Comcast CSS channel 27 locally). Vanderbilt will play at Miami-Ohio on the same day at 6:30 p.m. on ESPNU.

ESPN’s first broadcast of the season on its signature network will be 7 p.m. between North Carolina State and South Carolina.

“Which one of us kicks off first? Haven’t really given that a lot of thought,” MTSU athletic director Chris Massaro said. “More importantly for us is that we get that extra half-hour. When we started at 6 before, some of our fans said they had a hard time getting to the game on time on a weeknight. So we think this extra half-hour gives our fans time to tailgate and enjoy the gameday atmosphere.”

Although a challenge on the field, MTSU’s early schedule is fan-friendly.

MTSU’s first two games are both at home and televised locally on Comcast CSS channel 27. The Blue Raiders will kick off against Maryland on Saturday, Sept. 6 at 6 p.m......